Please help me choose which of these 2 weeks to go to Disney!

We're going to Disney this year! Hooray! We have 2 available weeks to choose from -- should we go Labor Day week (starting on Labor Day or the day after it) or the week of October 7? We know October might be a little cooler, but we have heard things about the lines starting to get longer in October and with 3 little kids minimizing lines is a priority. Is it true that lines are reliably shorter in September or not? Please advise!

Re: Please help me choose which of these 2 weeks to go to Disney!

Usually the week after Labor Day is busy. Also, this is around the time of the last summer rush. I'd suggest October because everyone will be in school and it might be a little bit cooler.
    DisneyTwins
    Since May 2003

• Resident Mouse

Labor Day weekend will be busy. October is a good time to go, because the resort is in Halloween mode, but some of the attractions might be down for refurbishment. It is generally a good time to go to avoid crowds.

@Disneytwins: It usually gets cooler in the mornings in October, but I can remember many 70-80 degree afternoons during that month in Florida. To the OP, best to bring a jacket, just in case you decide to visit in October.
    -MickeyM

*President of the Mickey Mouse Club*

• Hello there

Blog Entries

I have to disagree with Labor Day week being busy. If you go starting the day after Labor day, the park is usually empty. Most Schools start at this time and parents don't normally take their kids to WDW at this time.
    In NY, school starts the Tuesday after Labor day.

I went to WDW several times during that week and it was always very empty.

I have also been in the first week in October and the crwds were never that bad. It is noticebly cooler.
    Fratsor Sister - Delta Mu Chi Alpha

ΔΜΧΑ

• Waiting for my E-Ticket

Hanging out at The Attic with Johnny Dakota

Quote Originally Posted by MickeyM View Post
    @Disneytwins: It usually gets cooler in the mornings in October, but I can remember many 70-80 degree afternoons during that month in Florida. To the OP, best to bring a jacket, just in case you decide to visit in October.
    Be aware that it can get up into even the 90s well into October. A few years ago I was at the parks and it hit 90 or 91 that day.. on October 19th. Weather in Florida is all over the place. It can be in the 70s one day, the 80s the next, then into the 50s or 60s the day after that. ALWAYS check the 10 day forecast because the weather forecast here can literally change within hours.

10 Day Weather Forecast for The Walt Disney World Resort - weather.com

Quote Originally Posted by Mouse princess View Post
    I have to disagree with Labor Day week being busy. If you go starting the day after Labor day, the park is usually empty. Most Schools start at this time and parents don't normally take their kids to WDW at this time.
    In NY, school starts the Tuesday after Labor day.
    In Florida, most schools start BEFORE Labor Day (many start the 2nd week of August), so it would be the out of state tourists as all the local kids will be back in school for the most part.

Quote Originally Posted by MickeyM View Post
    Good to know. Thanks!
    DisneyTwins
    Since May 2003

• New Member Goes Forth

my parents always visited in the off season. depite there being less attractions, there will be less people. First week in January is always the bes. While you are at the parks, you could visit Sea World and Universal.
    The new Star Wars plot summery:

Episode 7: Luke discovers that Darth Vader is not his father, and goes on a search for his real father

Episode 8: Darth Vader is resurrected and goes on Jerry Springer, claiming he is Luke and Leia's father

Episode 9: Princes Leia is not Luke's sister, making him furious (we all know why...).

Check to be sure, but your October date may be during the Epcot Food and Wine Festival. That is about the best time to go to Disney World, especially for the adults in your party.

Some years ago, I recall that there are Love Bugs in May and September in Florida. Floridians, is that right? I remember seeing cars, busses, and people covered with the romantic little critters.

• Resident Mouse

Quote Originally Posted by glowman View Post
    Some years ago, I recall that there are Love Bugs in May and September in Florida. Floridians, is that right? I remember seeing cars, busses, and people covered with the romantic little critters.
    Oh my god, the love bugs.
    They're little annoying bugs that leave an acidic residue on everything you kill them on. And they come by the billions. If you thought mosquitoes were bad, you've never seen love bugs. I've seen their splattered bodies take paint off cars if you leave them there long enough. I've seen them crawl through cracks in windows. I've seen piles of them stack up on porches, windowsills, and everything inbetween.
    Before planning a trip to Florida, I HIGHLY recommend doing research on love bugs and when they'll be out.
    -MickeyM

*President of the Mickey Mouse Club*