Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

• Minion

Re: Boy Critical After Near-Drowning At Disney Resort

Quote Originally Posted by stitchfanocala View Post
    That's why they call it the graveyard, or overnight shift. And I don't mean that in any reference to someone dieing, because that is what the shift is called with that time frame of hours. But people who are used to working those hours have their body & mind trained to work those hours. Some people prefer to work those type of hours. I have worked around many people who consider themselves "night owls."
    yeah but they wont hire a graveyard shift lifeguard to monitor all three or so people who actually go swimming at night.

I don't think a gate is necessary, but Disney might implement something like it in wake of this tragedy.

Quote Originally Posted by TylerDurden View Post
    I don't know how affective a lifeguard working at 3 AM would be, considering it's a job built on alertness and attention.

Disney should probably close the pools after a certain time. However, this isn't Disney's fault per se, and this could have happened anywhere. In any case, our thoughts and prayers should go out to the poor boy's family.
    A whole lot more effective than one who isn't there. This is the 21st century. 24x7 coverage is the rule, not the exception these days.

• 1,200 Miles from da Mouse

this saddens me, my prayers go out to the boy's family...

but why is 24x7 monitoring required? Plenty of hotels and the like have NO monitoring whatsoever, and they seem to get along just fine...this harkens back to modern American culture, nobody is taking any sort of responsibility it seems anymore for themselves, a lifeguard shouldn't be necessary because it states on signs posted all over that if there is no lifeguard on policy than there's no swimming allowed! Not only that but isn't also a parent's responsibility to monitor their children?

I'm sorry to get up on this soapbox on the heels of something like this, however I'm noticing this more in more in my daily life now as a Medic, no one can take responsibility rarer and rarer do you find parents actually watching their kids..It's like people don't know how to be parents or families anymore...
    The test of success is not what you do when you are on top. Success is how high you bounce when you hit bottom.
    -George S. Patton

• Roller coaster enthusiast

^I agree. It's really a lack of common sense these days. As a truck driver, I see it every day. I can't tell you how many times I've bee tailgated, cut off, and almost been hit by other distracted drivers only to be shown the middle finger.

It all boils down to just plain common sense really. Who knows, maybe the parents were doing the right thing, the article says the boy was pulled from the water and the father immediately began CPR. Does anyone know how long the boy was in the water? It wasn't clearly stated in the article I posted.

We have no idea what really happened, and maybe never will. Also while it is a tragedy, at this time it is an accident. Accidents happen. Gating pools is a "knee-jerk" response. How many people got killed driving home from Disney last week? Should they close the roads?

Passing the responsibility of this to the lack of life guards is also a cop-out. When my "teenager" wanted to got to the pools you bet I was close by. They still had their fun, and half the time I did too. The other half I kept my distance and let them seem to have time on their own. I'm not saying I'm a better parent, I'm just saying that is what you should do AS a parent. Today too many people are letting "other's" watch their kids. Whether it's the TV, or video games or what ever.

^ Related to your post, anyone notice that the safety spiel on attractions at Disney now add, in addition to hands, arms, legs and feet inside at all times, "And parents, please watch your kids." My take away from that is, "Parents have to be told nowadays to watch their kids???"
    "In many ways, the work of a critic is easy. We risk very little yet enjoy a position over those who offer up their work and their selves to our judgment. We thrive on negative criticism, which is fun to write and to read. But the bitter truth we critics must face, is that in the grand scheme of things, the average piece of junk is probably more meaningful than our criticism designating it so. But there are times when a critic truly risks something, and that is in the discovery and defense of the new. The world is often unkind to new talent, new creations, the new needs friends." - Anton Ego

• Pilot EdForceOne

Quote Originally Posted by mikelieman View Post
    A whole lot more effective than one who isn't there. This is the 21st century. 24x7 coverage is the rule, not the exception these days.
    I guess you've never seen those 'death traps' at the majority of hotels around the world where there is no lifeguard on duty.. ever.
    Check out my blog - Coreplex: Rambling from inside the Grid

Am I evil? yes, I am
    Am I evil? I am man, yes, I am

Quote Originally Posted by sleepyjeff View Post
    Disneyland was meant to be sipped not chug-a-lugged

Quote Originally Posted by TodAZ1 View Post
    "Parents have to be told nowadays to watch their kids???"

I know, right? My mom never let us out of her sight without knowing exactly who was watching us, and with us and when we'd be back. At a pool, she would have had her eye on all three of us, every second. Making sure we weren't being jerks.

As a kid, it was annoying, but I think I'd be the same kind of parent. Not rushing in to save the kid from every tiny bump (the tiny things teach them how to keep themselves safe), but making sure nothing serious is going on. Watching.
    I pledge allegiance to the Earth, one planet, many gods, and to the universe in which she spins.

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by flynnibus View Post
    I guess you've never seen those 'death traps' at the majority of hotels around the world where there is no lifeguard on duty.. ever.
    Yes, it's unfortunate that it happened at Disney World but just because they get a high volume of travelers doesn't mean they're more dangerous than any other pool out there who has no lifeguard supervision and no accidents.

• Nutty about Disney parks

^ Related to your post, anyone notice that the safety spiel on attractions at Disney now add, in addition to hands, arms, legs and feet inside at all times, "And parents, please watch your kids." My take away from that is, "Parents have to be told nowadays to watch their kids???"
    Sadly yes. In my local news there's been alot of teens-gone-violent incidences occuring at my malls and the issue of parental supervision has always come up. Unfortunatly, if the parents treat the malls as a babysitting dumping ground to begin with what are the chances they will care to supervise at all.

I don't really blame anyone in this situation. But you indeed take the risks when you swim when a lifeguard is not on duty, especially with kids around. My solution would either be to close the pools after lifeguard duty ends or have an age restriction on who can enter the pools during night hours.
    Toonaspie: I have Asperger's. I like cartoons. Toonaspie!

• Senior Minion

..."Parents have to be told nowadays to watch their kids???"
    Yup. Not that it does any good, as this video demonstrates.
    "With the acquisition of Marvel and now of Lucasfilm,
    Disney may have finally found the grail. You don't need
    imagination or art. All you need is a brand."

- Neil Gabler

• Banned User

Have we really considered how much parents supervised their kids in the past, the previous generation? Not much. In fact, the previous generation or two didn't supervise their kids very much since the parents were much more busy with such things as trying to keep food on the table. Household work was much more involved. There wasn't much stock in the typical stores. Ready made didn't exist. Working at jobs was more manual labor oriented rather than service or desk/clerical.

The kids were largely left on their own. It wasn't like they were in danger. The environment was much more safer. Think of a small town atmosphere where kids were not preyed upon. Today's situation is much more dangerous and we really don't need to know why.

When I grew up, we didn't go the pool much because less were available. To make things safer, you need to take away amenities that we take for granted these days.

Decrease in the level of parental supervision mixed with the ever increasing societal stupidity.
    DisneyTwins
    Since May 2003

• Circle of Ancients

Blog Entries

Did the swimming pool open back up for business the next day?

Why is no one questioning why Disney has pool hours with and without Lifeguards? Wdwinfo states the pool hours at the Pop are from 8am-12am, with Lifeguards on duty from 10-10. Seriously. Disney Parks just posted record profits, up something like 14%! You can't tell me that paying those few guards per pool an extra 4 hours would even put a scratch in their profits. It's not like this is the $59 Motel down the street.

I agree the parents should have been there, but also perhaps they didn't realize the guards left at 10pm either. If you're a first timer, it's very easy to miss. If I saw lifeguards on duty as we walked back to our room at 9:45, I could see myself trusting a 13 year old to go to the pool with their cousins. I'm also pretty sure If I didn't know, I wouldn't have the foresight to tell him to come back if the lifeguards go home but leave the pool open. Having two sets of pool hours is something my neighborhood pool does, I certainly wouldn't think Disney does too. It's keeping a handful of people on for 2 more hours, and those pools are usually pretty crowded at 10pm. Why would you even dream Disney would be that stingy and put people's lives in danger like that?!

Nobody likes to think of Disney as some greedy Corporation who only cares about profits (myself included), but with as much as they've been raising prices and profits, but yet still cutting costs, it's hard not to wonder. Regardless of whether or not the parents were there, if the bean-counters hadn't saved a minuscule amount of money by shaving two hours off the lifeguards schedule, its pretty safe to say a child would still be alive.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast