Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

• Pilot EdForceOne

Re: Boy Critical After Near-Drowning At Disney Resort

Quote Originally Posted by aggiemullins View Post
    Why is no one questioning why Disney has pool hours with and without Lifeguards?
    Because pools without guards is widely accepted and deemed normal.

I agree the parents should have been there, but also perhaps they didn't realize the guards left at 10pm either
    The parents WERE there as was the child's sibling. This accident happened under their supervision.

Witnesses told deputies the boy was playing in the Hippy Dippy pool with relatives Sunday about 9:30 p.m. when he disappeared under the water.

The boy's cousin pulled him out, and the child's father immediately began cardiopulmonary resuscitation, deputies said. Bystanders also performed CPR, officials said.
    Orlando Sentinel
    Check out my blog - Coreplex: Rambling from inside the Grid

Am I evil? yes, I am
    Am I evil? I am man, yes, I am

Quote Originally Posted by sleepyjeff View Post
    Disneyland was meant to be sipped not chug-a-lugged

• Senior Minion

Quote Originally Posted by flynnibus View Post
    The parents WERE there as was the child's sibling. This accident happened under their supervision.
    Exactly. And, sadly, similar to the way that many drownings happen, as reported today in this story from CNN.com.

Some quotes:

... the recent death of a 13-year-old at a pool in Florida has experts concerned about water safety for pre-teens and adolescents. Anthony Johnson had been playing in a pool at Disney's Pop Century Resort on Sunday. Relatives told CNN affiliate WFTV that Anthony was jumping in and out with friends when they noticed him missing, and pulled him out of the water within minutes.
    The boy died Tuesday morning, according to the Orange County Sheriff's Office. Police are still investigating his death.

Ten people die every day from unintentional drowning in the United States, making it the fifth-leading cause of unintentional injury death, according to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. About 20% are under the age of 14. Nearly 80% are male.

"The first thing to remember is that drowning doesn't just happen," says Alison Osinski, water safety expert and president of Aquatic Consulting Services. "Something always precipitates drowning."

Only about 35% of Americans know how to swim, and only 2% to 7% swim well, Osinski says. Teens are particularly susceptible to peer pressure and often go past their limits. Exhaustion or disorientation under water could cause a weak swimmer to panic. In this case, the swimmer would go through the stages of what lifeguards call an "active drowning," Osinski says. The word "active" may be misleading, as active drowning is nothing like what you usually see on TV.

In an active drowning, a swimmer is at or below eye level at the surface of the water for about 10 to 20 seconds. The head is tilted back to get air. The eyes are either wide open or tightly shut. The mouth is often in an "O" shape from shock. "You're not drowning if you can call for help," Osinski says.

After about 20 seconds, the swimmer will start to sink and will hold his breath underwater for anywhere from 30 to 90 seconds. If rescued during this time, the swimmer usually will be fine. After 90 seconds, Osinski says, a swimmer will black out. At this point, things get dicey. If a swimmer is resuscitated after the four-minute mark, there's a high risk of brain damage.

...Osinski says one of the most subtle forms of drowning is called "shallow water blackout."
    Typically, a person holding his breath will be triggered to breathe when his CO2 levels get high. But if a swimmer is holding his breath for a long time while exhaling underwater, or is going underwater repeatedly, his CO2 levels are lowered. When that happens, the brain's built-in alarm to breathe doesn't go off, despite a lack of oxygen.

"You can't tell when they go unconscious, until it's too late," Osinski says.

Osinski has videos of teens drowning that were recorded on their friends' phones. The most common phrase she hears from witnesses is: "I thought they were just fooling around."
    "With the acquisition of Marvel and now of Lucasfilm,
    Disney may have finally found the grail. You don't need
    imagination or art. All you need is a brand."

- Neil Gabler

• New Member Goes Forth

hope he recovers, but the parents were not looking after their child
    The new Star Wars plot summery:

Episode 7: Luke discovers that Darth Vader is not his father, and goes on a search for his real father

Episode 8: Darth Vader is resurrected and goes on Jerry Springer, claiming he is Luke and Leia's father

Episode 9: Princes Leia is not Luke's sister, making him furious (we all know why...).

• Banned User

The supervision alone would not prevent such an accident. The parents would not know the causes of drowning. From the CNN article, it is clear that the causes of drowning is very technical and specific. People who are unfamiliar with these scenarios would not know what to look for so STOP blaming the parents.

Instead, we should ask that all parent put a limit to the amount of pool time. One or two hours at most, and have frequent breaks outside of the water. Parents should also be in the pool with their kids. It does them no good to be on the deck in their clothes.

• Senior Minion

Quote Originally Posted by Trumpet View Post
    hope he recovers, but the parents were not looking after their child
    Correct -- the parents were not looking after their child. Tragically, he didn't recover.

Quote Originally Posted by StevenW View Post
    People who are unfamiliar with these scenarios would not know what to look for so STOP blaming the parents.
    Ignorance is no excuse: parents who let their kids go swimming should educate themselves about drowning, and then teach their kids what they've learned. Especially when their kids are swimming in an area with no lifeguards!
    "With the acquisition of Marvel and now of Lucasfilm,
    Disney may have finally found the grail. You don't need
    imagination or art. All you need is a brand."

- Neil Gabler

• Pilot EdForceOne

you know.. sometimes accidents happen.

today in a neighborhood near here a parent was teaching their 15yr old to drive.. during that outting.. something happened, the kid hit the accelerator instead of the brake, jumped a curb and hit 3 young kids.. critically injuring one of them.

People were like OMG.. what was the parent thinking.. letting a 15yr old drive!!!.. this is a neighborhood.. etc. Of course all of that without even considering 1) was the kid legally allowed to be driving (learners permit) 2) what happened leading up to the accident 3) recognizing kids must learn to drive in residential areas too...

There is being irresponsible.. and then there are simply accidents. Even when acting responsible.. accidents can happen.

Here the parents paid the ultimate price and they lost their son. I'm not going to damn them without knowing what really happened.

Am I evil? yes, I am

• Minion

Here the parents paid the ultimate price and they lost their son. I'm not going to damn them without knowing what really happened.
    That's a good point. It's so easy for people on the sidelines to say where someone went wrong, etc. These people are suffering a horrible tragedy. Is it really our place to decide if they are good parents or not? No one here is even personally affected by it. I think this thread should be closed before more rude or insensitive comments are made, moderators.

• Characters are my friends

We know the dad was there at the time, but we don't know what happened for the kid to wind up at the bottom of the pool. Unfortunately, accidents do happen (and now the poor family will have to live with the tragedy for the rest of their lives).
    Many as a kid (1986-1998)Aug 98- Port OrleansMarch 03- Jr Band Trip (offsite)Aug 03- Port OrleansJan 12-Aug 5, 05- CP (CS)Jan 1-5, 06- AS Sports (Solo Trip)May 24, 06 to Jan 5, 07- CP (CS)Jan 31-Feb 3, 07- offsite (solo trip)March 1-3, 2007- Dad + Me (offsite)May 16-Aug 10, 07- CP (CS)Aug 10-12, 07- GF/P&PMay 21-Aug 15, 08- CP (PC)Aug 15-18, 08- AKLMarch 25-29, 09 (off-site)Aug 10, 09-Jan 2, 10- CP (CS)Jan 3-May 14, 2010- CP (CS)Feb 12-16, 2012: DCL DreamOct 20-27, 2012: DCL Fantasy (East)Sept 8-12, 2013: DCL Dream

Jan 12- Aug 5, 2005- Fantasyland Merchandise
    May 24, 2006 to Jan 5, 2007- Character Attendant
    May 16- Aug 10, 2007- Epcot WS Custodial/Seasonal CA
    May 21- July 5, 2008: Casey's (QSFB); July 6-Aug 15, 2008: character attendant
    Aug 10, 2009-Jan 2, 2010: Toy Story Mania
    Jan 3-May 14, 2010: Great Movie Ride
    May 16, 2010~ Fulltime
    Montclair State Campus Rep- Fall 07, Spring 08, Fall 08, Spring 09

Because pools without guards is widely accepted and deemed normal.

Orlando Sentinel
    If you read post 7 on page 1, you would see someone is disputing the media's claim. I work in Civil Service for a top 10 US city and in fact have been in charge of incidents similar to this one. Rule #1 is the media rarely, if ever, gets all the facts right because people like me in the know don't usually share details with them out of respect and legal rights for privacy of those involved. We share the major parts for the public's right to know, but the inaccurate details usually come 2nd or 3rd hand from people who caught a glimpse that something happened.

Accidents happen, and when they're truly accidents they're caused by a sequence of events (or failures). Not just one. Accidents happen because something slips through the layers of safety nets in place to stop it from happening. And yes, the parents are one of the safety nets, but also so is Disney. I wouldnt dream of speculating what the parents could have done different because I'm sure they know and will have to live with that for the rest of their lives. However, as a company and as a safety net that also failed, Disney needs to look at themselves and ask the tough question of whether or not they themselves did everything reasonably possible to prevent this tragedy from happening as well. You may disagree, but I believe the short answer is no, they didn't. I only hope someone within Disney agrees with me as well.

A couple of years back I hiked the Mist Trail at Yosemite when the waterfalls were really flowing due to a great snow fall. Anyway, when I returned home, I discovered that some kids had died on the trail due to falls. Another kid got a concussion and later died. Bad stuff happens. Just google deaths at Yosemite.

Yosemite Deaths: Boy, 10, Drowns in Merced River - Injured

What folks are missing here is this is one kid out of how many that go to WDW every year. It's amazing that more kids don't die at WDW.

• Circle of Ancients

Blog Entries

If you read post 7 on page 1, you would see someone is disputing the media's claim. I work in Civil Service for a top 10 US city and in fact have been in charge of incidents similar to this one. Rule #1 is the media rarely, if ever, gets all the facts right because people like me in the know don't usually share details with them out of respect and legal rights for privacy of those involved. We share the major parts for the public's right to know, but the inaccurate details usually come 2nd or 3rd hand from people who caught a glimpse that something happened.

Accidents happen, and when they're truly accidents they're caused by a sequence of events (or failures). Not just one. Accidents happen because something slips through the layers of safety nets in place to stop it from happening. And yes, the parents are one of the safety nets, but also so is Disney. I wouldnt dream of speculating what the parents could have done different because I'm sure they know and will have to live with that for the rest of their lives. However, as a company and as a safety net that also failed, Disney needs to look at themselves and ask the tough question of whether or not they themselves did everything reasonably possible to prevent this tragedy from happening as well. You may disagree, but I believe the short answer is no, they didn't. I only hope someone within Disney agrees with me as well.
    Agreed 100%. As a company that sells Dream Vacations to families - they have a responsibility to look within and be proactive. Good social policy, not to mention just solid public relations.

• Pilot EdForceOne

Accidents happen, and when they're truly accidents they're caused by a sequence of events (or failures). Not just one. Accidents happen because something slips through the layers of safety nets in place to stop it from happening. And yes, the parents are one of the safety nets, but also so is Disney. I wouldnt dream of speculating what the parents could have done different because I'm sure they know and will have to live with that for the rest of their lives. However, as a company and as a safety net that also failed, Disney needs to look at themselves and ask the tough question of whether or not they themselves did everything reasonably possible to prevent this tragedy from happening as well. You may disagree, but I believe the short answer is no, they didn't
    I do disagree because as an individual I want the FREEDOM to do make choices... not be forced to live in a bubble where everything is taken away because some people MIGHT make poor choices.

Here the child ultimately did something, or had something happen. The guards were not there because they allow people to be in the pool after the guards are off duty. I would prefer to keep that privilege because there are many many many people that can handle that responsibility and accept the risk that comes along with it.

People should have the choice.. accept the risk or do not. Not be forced to live in a reduced experience where someone thinks there possibly can be no risk.

Am I evil? yes, I am

• Doombuggy Rider

What an awful thing to occur & it appears upon reading the article this ended tragically for the Family (no Family deserves to have their Disney moment ruined by tragedy, just as no Resort - whether apart of Team Disney Orlando, or a Neighbor Hotel - deserves to have a tragic incident on their record regardless of who is responsible) ...

It's unfortunate that it takes an incident to encourage changes which promote SAFETY (whether that includes extra Staff on hand around the Pool, or new Warning Signs for everyone to obey). Let's just hope 2013 doesn't offer any further tragedies @ the Walt Disney Resorts ....

C J

I <3 Making Friends Who Share The Same Interests :-)

http://www.facebook.com/darkamor

http://www.twitter.com/darkamor

• Not here to help

Disney does what it can to make parents take their kidds to their hotels. Knowing that children do things they shouldn´t do Disney could have prevented this. A person is dead not only because that person did something that perhaps he shouldn´t have done... but also because he could do it. Children are not adults and can never understand what the events of their actions could lead them to. Anything to prevent the death of a child is good, even if it means we have to live in a bubble.
    The world according me: http://www.youtube.com/user/TimmyME

• Mostly Harmless.

In aviation we call this the Swiss cheese model.
    He felt like his life was some kind of dream and he sometimes wondered whose it was and whether they were enjoying it.
    follow us on Twitter! @MickeyMutineers
    DisregardListen to our podcast on iTunes!

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast