Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

•   
    • Circle of Ancients

Re: Guests that cross the street during parades..

Quote Originally Posted by alphabassetgrrl View Post
    They need to pay attention and wait until the next crossing time comes up. It's not like you have to wait for the entire parade. Follow instructions.
    Ah, but Walt Disney World has only one crossing, right in Main Street near the entrance... compared to Disneyland that has multiple crossings on a much shorter parade route, I find this a problem.
    -Bill

Hmm... I'm less than familiar with WDW and their parades. I guess I didn't pay attention to which forum this was in!

I still think people need to pay attention to the CMs handling the parade route. There's a reason they tell you to wait!
    I pledge allegiance to the Earth, one planet, many gods, and to the universe in which she spins.

Quote Originally Posted by alphabassetgrrl View Post
    Hmm... I'm less than familiar with WDW and their parades. I guess I didn't pay attention to which forum this was in!

I still think people need to pay attention to the CMs handling the parade route. There's a reason they tell you to wait!
    Give the CMs tasers

• Minion

I do wish there were some solution that could make things right for everybody involved. On the one hand, the parade route has to be kept clear for everybody's safety. On the other hand, it's insane that it can suddenly become completely impossible to get from point A to point B when you need to.

During my last visit, my sister's ECV broke down in Adventureland. We called the rental company and they sent a rep right over with a replacement - but we had to sit and wait two hours before he could get through the Main Street bottleneck to get to us. Another night, I got terribly sick. Not sick enough to call paramedics and go to the ER, but sick enough to rush back to the hotel. Unfortunately, it was nearly time for the MVMCP parade, so I had to just lie on the pavement sobbing for an hour until traffic had died down enough to let us through. CM's were sympathetic, but there was nothing they could do short of strapping on a jet pack and flying over the human mass.

The company would do well to hire some urban planners to figure out how to alleviate the foot traffic situation, especially in the MK.

The problem is that the Magic Kingdom does not have enough parade crossings. I'm one of those runners that you were probably cussing but until they have enough crossings I will continue to cut across when needed. Back in the early days magic kingdom had multiple crossings now they keep it so you can't go from one part of the park to another until the parade is over and that is just ridiculous.

• Mouseketeer

It's ridiculously stupid to run in front of floats. The e-brakes on those things do not stop on a dime, barely a car length. They don't have ABS, so the brakes can and do lock up, sending the float skidding. Not to mention the driver probably has an obscured view of what's in front of them.

I have noticed MK like to run there parades much closer together than the west coast. DEP at DCA had large gaps between nearly every themed group of floats to allow controlled crossings. MK doesn't. It makes for a shorter parade overall, but it does feel rushed...that is unless you are waiting to cross.
    "The way to get started is to quit talking and begin doing" -Walt Disney

• Roller coaster enthusiast

I visited the MK almost a year ago and I noticed several large gaps in the MSEP, and I was right at the beginning. You can see those gaps in my video. Main Street Electrical Parade at Walt Disney World's Magic Kingdom - YouTube
    Current coaster count: 179
    100th coaster: Phantom's Revenge at Kennywood
    150th coaster: Intimidator at Carowinds
    last new park addition: Six Flags Great America

• Heavy Breather

Another thing to put on my list of things that "grind my gears". It's a pretty long list, maybe a little too long. I'm not sure if I'm overly cynical, or there is just that much wrong with the world.

What is thy bidding, my Mouseter?

Check out my tumblr: http://dvader2015.tumblr.com/

Quote Originally Posted by LordVader View Post
    Another thing to put on my list of things that "grind my gears". It's a pretty long list, maybe a little too long. I'm not sure if I'm overly cynical, or there is just that much wrong with the world.
    Maybe too much to where it's overflowing out of the "hand basket", if you get my drift.
    "Our greatest natural resource is the minds of our children." - Walter Elias Disney

• Characters are my friends

Quote Originally Posted by wdwfan22 View Post
    The problem is that the Magic Kingdom does not have enough parade crossings. I'm one of those runners that you were probably cussing but until they have enough crossings I will continue to cut across when needed. Back in the early days magic kingdom had multiple crossings now they keep it so you can't go from one part of the park to another until the parade is over and that is just ridiculous.
    Ridiculous or not, you are creating an accident waiting to happen. Nothing gives you the right to run across in front of a giant float (and if you don't get hit, you run the risk of a float veering into the crowd to avoid hitting you).
    Many as a kid (1986-1998)Aug 98- Port OrleansMarch 03- Jr Band Trip (offsite)Aug 03- Port OrleansJan 12-Aug 5, 05- CP (CS)Jan 1-5, 06- AS Sports (Solo Trip)May 24, 06 to Jan 5, 07- CP (CS)Jan 31-Feb 3, 07- offsite (solo trip)March 1-3, 2007- Dad + Me (offsite)May 16-Aug 10, 07- CP (CS)Aug 10-12, 07- GF/P&PMay 21-Aug 15, 08- CP (PC)Aug 15-18, 08- AKLMarch 25-29, 09 (off-site)Aug 10, 09-Jan 2, 10- CP (CS)Jan 3-May 14, 2010- CP (CS)Feb 12-16, 2012: DCL DreamOct 20-27, 2012: DCL Fantasy (East)Sept 8-12, 2013: DCL DreamJan 20-24, 2014: DCL MagicFeb 17/18, 2015 AS Music

Jan 12- Aug 5, 2005- Fantasyland Merchandise
    May 24, 2006 to Jan 5, 2007- Character Attendant
    May 16- Aug 10, 2007- Epcot WS Custodial/Seasonal CA
    May 21- July 5, 2008: Casey's (QSFB); July 6-Aug 15, 2008: character attendant
    Aug 10, 2009-Jan 2, 2010: Toy Story Mania
    Jan 3-May 14, 2010: Great Movie Ride
    May 16, 2010~ Fulltime

• Heavy Breather

Quote Originally Posted by stitchfanocala View Post
    Maybe too much to where it's overflowing out of the "hand basket", if you get my drift.
    I see what you did there .

What is thy bidding, my Mouseter?

Check out my tumblr: http://dvader2015.tumblr.com/

• Roller coaster enthusiast

I was in the marching band from junior/middle school and high school in Maitland and Winter Park, FL and our band was invited to march in the Winter Park Christmas Parade every year. The cutting got so bad there that our marching band director came up with the "parade march". It was basically marching almost shoulder to shoulder with minimum distance between each line. We were told to run over those cutters and cameramen that would try and walk through our ranks. It worked when I was there as nobody tried to cut through or between us and the next float though we still maintained a respectable distance from the float in front of us. Needless to say, I have a special dislike for those that would try and cut across a parade. 👹
    Current coaster count: 179
    100th coaster: Phantom's Revenge at Kennywood
    150th coaster: Intimidator at Carowinds
    last new park addition: Six Flags Great America

"Guests" who are mean to Cast Members shouldn't be allowed back in. Ever. If guests just mellow out and let Cast Members control the show, they'll have a lot more fun. Right?
    "Ignore the Chihuahua behind the curtain."

• Shubisha

Quote Originally Posted by Coasterjunkie View Post
    I visited the MK almost a year ago and I noticed several large gaps in the MSEP, and I was right at the beginning. You can see those gaps in my video. Main Street Electrical Parade at Walt Disney World's Magic Kingdom - YouTube
    The beginning of the route in Main Street doesn't count for parade spacing. There are always big gaps as they guide the floats through the opening gate via flashlight (vs. DCA where they just placed a couple flashlights on the ground for the drivers to gauge the distance on their own).

Heck, for comparison, it takes Mickey Mouse a full loop of music (~2 minutes) in CDCT just to get out the front gate once the parade's started. :P

Disneyland and Tokyo Disneyland definitely space out their parades more, both for crossings and for unit separation. WDW takes the philosophy that if they don't smush their units together, people will run across the route. And that is when a lot of the running occurs if the units separate out too much. But would that problem still be an issue with more crossings? (For DEP, Christmas, etc... CDCT is so short I'm glad they smush it together and get it over as fast as possible :P)

I guess "More Crossings" means "More CMs", which as we all know is the same as "More Money", so we're never going to see it.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast