Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

•   

Re: Guests that cross the street during parades..

As someone who works the parade route frequently, I think I can offer a little insight into this issue. First of all, let me just say that I agree there should be more crossing locations for all the parades. When I started three years ago, I believe they still had parade crossings at Casey's and up in front of the castle. I'm not sure, because that wasn't my role back then.

The issue isn't really one of staffing (although more people would be very helpful in general), but one of guests not wanting to do what they're told. We are theoretically always staffed for crossings. The problem is, once we open up crossings, the sidewalks start to jam up as the CMs are more focused on making sure people are actually crossing. For example, some people think the crossing area is a spot you can sit and watch the parade and will literally stop in the middle of the crosswalk. Especially ones that show up right when the parade starts and haven't been able to get an actual spot. So the issue really is between letting people cross, or maintaining the sidewalks. Ultimately, keeping the sidewalks clear in case of a medical emergency is more important. Plus, usually during the day, there aren't really enough people that want to cross to warrant having parade crossings. At WDW at least, management takes safety VERY seriously. Being out in the parade route, even for crossings is a safety hazard. Yes, that goes for cast as well. As someone else said, the floats can't stop on a dime, and the float drivers have very limited view. We aren't even allowed to walk beside the floats anymore.

Also, I think the key difference between WDW and DL is the primary demographic of each park. DL attracts a lot more locals than tourists, or at least the vast majority of them are from the West Coast. On the other hand, WDW draws in a lot more "tourists." The ones that can't (won't) speak English or think they're entitled to do what they want because they paid thousands of dollars to go to WDW on vacation. Trust me, it just creates a lot of issues when crossings happen. Enough that it becomes an issue.

However, regardless of what you think, it is NOT ok to cross the parade route at any time other than at the designated crosswalks. The CMs working the parade route are there for your safety and your safety is more important than your impatience. If that means waiting five minutes until the parade is over, or walking five minutes to get to the crosswalk, then so be it. Patience is a virtue, especially when it comes to your safety at WDW. I'm not trying to sound to harsh or rant here, but no one has any reason to be out in the street during the parade. People in the street is a huge concern, especially for me.

• Shubisha

Know what I hate though? And this'll come off as anti-CM so I apologize but think they could do with a little refresh on how to handle this...

At MK and Disneyland you're allowed to sit on the curb but with your feet in the street. But in Magic Kingdom if you're getting up to leave and stand up.. a crowd control member will come RUNNING down the street hollering and waving at you to get up on the curb you can't be on the street and they're worried you're about to bolt into the street. Yes I suppose that's possible, but I've never seen someone actually attempt to do that.. They get up, turn around, and step onto the curb like a normal person standing up.. A backwards slide on their butt and standing up on the curb just isn't possible much of the time. :P And now a big section of that area is without a CM presence to stop someone who really is about to run across.

(When the street's flat like in DCA, DL's Small World area, or MK's Liberty Square/Frontierland sections, you have to keep your whole body, legs included, behind a line/rope. In california they color off the pavement or something and have a clear separation... no such luck in Magic Kingdom ).

The issue isn't really one of staffing (although more people would be very helpful in general), but one of guests not wanting to do what they're told.
    Maybe GUESTS don't want to be TOLD that they can't get to Adventureland until the parade is over.

Here's a hint. The problem is NEVER the person who is giving you money. Maybe if CM's were trained in that basic CUSTOMER SERVICE SKILL, they'd have a better reputation.

When you PROMISE MAGIC, you better be delivering. Or don't promise it in the first place. Having plenty of marked crossings and letting people use them every few minutes isn't exactly rocket science.

Quote Originally Posted by mikelieman View Post
    Maybe GUESTS don't want to be TOLD that they can't get to Adventureland until the parade is over.

Here's a hint. The problem is NEVER the person who is giving you money. Maybe if CM's were trained in that basic CUSTOMER SERVICE SKILL, they'd have a better reputation.

When you PROMISE MAGIC, you better be delivering. Or don't promise it in the first place. Having plenty of marked crossings and letting people use them every few minutes isn't exactly rocket science.

LOL!!! just plain WOW!

So what your saying is if I buy a car that has 200 mph on the speedometer and the car is capable of easily being driving over a hundred miles an hour, that seeing I "paid" for that magic I should be exempt from for the speed limit laws and be able to drive as fast as I want?

I wish!

Today far to many people come into the parks thinking that just because they paid for a vacation they own the place and can do what ever they want. I would love to see Disney hauling families out the front gate kicking and screaming for rules infractions.

I was brought up to respect the rules and other people. They have every right that I do. I don't get mad at a police officer if he pulls me over for speeding, I was the one breaking the rules and so I accept it and move on. The same goes for any CM out there. If they ask me to move back, I do, if they ask me to move on, I do.

Planning your day to avoid the parade is just as easy as planning your day to take in the parade. Your on vacation people, it's time to drop the "attitudes" play by the rules and have a blast!

• Minion

yeah I'm sorry thats a total joke along with the majority of these opposing arguments. you can easily get to adventureland, you just have to be not completely lazy and walk around, that simple. just because guests dont get exactly what they want when they want it like spoiled children 24/7 does not mean disney isn't doing their best to create a great guest environment. People today just feel a new level of entitled and its sad.

• Characters are my friends

Seriously? Nobody is going to die if they can't get to Adventureland for a few more minutes (last time I checked, waiting never killed anyone). If going a little out of your way is that horrible, just make sure you are where you want to be before the parade starts- it's that easy
    Many as a kid (1986-1998)Aug 98- Port OrleansMarch 03- Jr Band Trip (offsite)Aug 03- Port OrleansJan 12-Aug 5, 05- CP (CS)Jan 1-5, 06- AS Sports (Solo Trip)May 24, 06 to Jan 5, 07- CP (CS)Jan 31-Feb 3, 07- offsite (solo trip)March 1-3, 2007- Dad + Me (offsite)May 16-Aug 10, 07- CP (CS)Aug 10-12, 07- GF/P&PMay 21-Aug 15, 08- CP (PC)Aug 15-18, 08- AKLMarch 25-29, 09 (off-site)Aug 10, 09-Jan 2, 10- CP (CS)Jan 3-May 14, 2010- CP (CS)Feb 12-16, 2012: DCL DreamOct 20-27, 2012: DCL Fantasy (East)Sept 8-12, 2013: DCL Dream

Jan 12- Aug 5, 2005- Fantasyland Merchandise
    May 24, 2006 to Jan 5, 2007- Character Attendant
    May 16- Aug 10, 2007- Epcot WS Custodial/Seasonal CA
    May 21- July 5, 2008: Casey's (QSFB); July 6-Aug 15, 2008: character attendant
    Aug 10, 2009-Jan 2, 2010: Toy Story Mania
    Jan 3-May 14, 2010: Great Movie Ride
    May 16, 2010~ Fulltime
    Montclair State Campus Rep- Fall 07, Spring 08, Fall 08, Spring 09

• Roller coaster enthusiast

When ever I go to WDW, I plan my first ride to either be SM or BTMRR. After I'm done with those, I then head to Adventureland and the go clockwise around the park. That way, I'm usually in Fantasyland or Tommorrowland when parade time comes around so I don't have to worry about getting trapped by the parade. I do the same thing with any park I'm at. I look online the day before or the park map to see if they have special events, where, and when they are.

For instance, I happened to be at Six Flags Great Adventure in New Jersey a few years ago and I happen to be there the night of the 50 cent concert and I do appologize for misspelling his name. I didn't want to attend I wasn't interested so I did everything in that area first and worked my way to the other side of the park during the concert.

The next day I did plan on seeing the Glow in the Park parade which was sadly cancelled due to the constant threat of heavy rain. That was my one and only chance to see the parade as I believe SF is nolonger running it at any if their parks anymore.

•   
    • Circle of Ancients

Quote Originally Posted by joanna71985 View Post
    last time I checked, waiting never killed anyone
    Umm, not to correct you on your point, because I get it... but waiting has killed people. People waiting to cross a border... people waiting in the hot sun who die of heat exhaustion... people who wait too long to seek medical attention...

Waiting kills...
    -Bill

Quote Originally Posted by Bill View Post
    Umm, not to correct you on your point, because I get it... but waiting has killed people. People waiting to cross a border... people waiting in the hot sun who die of heat exhaustion... people who wait too long to seek medical attention...

Waiting kills...

"Why you pointy eared green blooded hob-goblin!"
    "Our greatest natural resource is the minds of our children." - Walter Elias Disney

That was a big reason why they cancelled SpectroMagic they worried too much about guest safety. The lawyers are worried about guest safety and the size of floats in SpectroMagic.

•   
    • Circle of Ancients

Quote Originally Posted by DRSeeker View Post
    That was a big reason why they cancelled SpectroMagic they worried too much about guest safety. The lawyers are worried about guest safety and the size of floats in SpectroMagic.
    Was it now?

*Looks at the size of the floats in other parks around the world.*

No, no it wasn't.
    -Bill

• Characters are my friends

Quote Originally Posted by DRSeeker View Post
    Actually, some of the floats in DEP are just as big as floats in Spectro
    Many as a kid (1986-1998)Aug 98- Port OrleansMarch 03- Jr Band Trip (offsite)Aug 03- Port OrleansJan 12-Aug 5, 05- CP (CS)Jan 1-5, 06- AS Sports (Solo Trip)May 24, 06 to Jan 5, 07- CP (CS)Jan 31-Feb 3, 07- offsite (solo trip)March 1-3, 2007- Dad + Me (offsite)May 16-Aug 10, 07- CP (CS)Aug 10-12, 07- GF/P&PMay 21-Aug 15, 08- CP (PC)Aug 15-18, 08- AKLMarch 25-29, 09 (off-site)Aug 10, 09-Jan 2, 10- CP (CS)Jan 3-May 14, 2010- CP (CS)Feb 12-16, 2012: DCL DreamOct 20-27, 2012: DCL Fantasy (East)Sept 8-12, 2013: DCL Dream

Jan 12- Aug 5, 2005- Fantasyland Merchandise
    May 24, 2006 to Jan 5, 2007- Character Attendant
    May 16- Aug 10, 2007- Epcot WS Custodial/Seasonal CA
    May 21- July 5, 2008: Casey's (QSFB); July 6-Aug 15, 2008: character attendant
    Aug 10, 2009-Jan 2, 2010: Toy Story Mania
    Jan 3-May 14, 2010: Great Movie Ride
    May 16, 2010~ Fulltime
    Montclair State Campus Rep- Fall 07, Spring 08, Fall 08, Spring 09

• "What is thy bidding?"

I remember using the Skyway as a means to cross the Parade route at Disneyland. I imagine that strategy would not work at WDWs Magic Kingdom when it had its variation of the skyway due to its odd Parade route through Frontierland. During the parades are the best time to catch rides when everyone swarms to the parade routes. However crossing the Parade route is a tempting thing to do, especially right before it starts. I dont encourage it though....

• Roller coaster enthusiast

It wouldn't have worked as the WDW's Skyride stations were in Fantasyland and Tommorrowland.

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by Coasterjunkie View Post
    It wouldn't have worked as the WDW's Skyride stations were in Fantasyland and Tommorrowland.
    this. whenever the parade is about to start I always hugged the back wall of old (the) fantasy land coming from liberty square and power walked it to tomorrowland for as many runs on space mountain as possible.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast