Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Re: Guests that cross the street during parades..

Quote Originally Posted by Bill View Post
    Was it now?

*Looks at the size of the floats in other parks around the world.*

No, no it wasn't.
    YES, YES it was!

It just wasn't the size but also the maneuvererability, sheer weight, stopping distance, etc.

So what would you rather step in front of a lightly loaded pick up truck or a fully loaded semi-truck?

• Characters are my friends

Quote Originally Posted by DRSeeker View Post
    YES, YES it was!

It just wasn't the size but also the maneuvererability, sheer weight, stopping distance, etc.

So what would you rather step in front of a lightly loaded pick up truck or a fully loaded semi-truck?
    The float sizes was not the reason Spectro stopped running
    Many as a kid (1986-1998)Aug 98- Port OrleansMarch 03- Jr Band Trip (offsite)Aug 03- Port OrleansJan 12-Aug 5, 05- CP (CS)Jan 1-5, 06- AS Sports (Solo Trip)May 24, 06 to Jan 5, 07- CP (CS)Jan 31-Feb 3, 07- offsite (solo trip)March 1-3, 2007- Dad + Me (offsite)May 16-Aug 10, 07- CP (CS)Aug 10-12, 07- GF/P&PMay 21-Aug 15, 08- CP (PC)Aug 15-18, 08- AKLMarch 25-29, 09 (off-site)Aug 10, 09-Jan 2, 10- CP (CS)Jan 3-May 14, 2010- CP (CS)Feb 12-16, 2012: DCL DreamOct 20-27, 2012: DCL Fantasy (East)Sept 8-12, 2013: DCL DreamJan 20-24, 2014: DCL MagicFeb 17/18, 2015 AS Music

Jan 12- Aug 5, 2005- Fantasyland Merchandise
    May 24, 2006 to Jan 5, 2007- Character Attendant
    May 16- Aug 10, 2007- Epcot WS Custodial/Seasonal CA
    May 21- July 5, 2008: Casey's (QSFB); July 6-Aug 15, 2008: character attendant
    Aug 10, 2009-Jan 2, 2010: Toy Story Mania
    Jan 3-May 14, 2010: Great Movie Ride
    May 16, 2010~ Fulltime

• Shubisha

nnnno. no it was not. not at all.

• Roller coaster enthusiast

^Well don't leave it at that. Please tell us why it was cancelled.
    Current coaster count: 166
    100th coaster: Phantom's Revenge at Kennywood
    150th coaster: Intimidator at Carowinds
    last new park addition: Six Flags over Georgia

• Disneyland 20 year APH

At Disneyland this is not a major problem becuase the runners are generaly behind 3-4 rows of people. They can't get through. Where the crossing are located are at critical points of trafic flow. And when the do let down the ropes the line moves quickly across the street because of the 3 CM on each side of the openning. Disneyland has a unique problem because the route cuts the park in half at major crowd flow points. At the Magic Kingdom it makes a cut and then turns left down Frontierland. Disneyland has Matterhorn blocking most of the strech on oneside and the Castle East Showbuilding. WDW has that long strech of nothing from Liberty to Splash to help block the crowds.
    Check out my work on openstreetmap.org
    http://www.openstreetmap.org/?lat=33...om=17&layers=M

Quote Originally Posted by almandot View Post
    nnnno. no it was not. not at all.
    Yes. Do Tell. What was the REAL reason?

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by Coasterjunkie View Post
    ^Well don't leave it at that. Please tell us why it was cancelled.
    I'm guessing lawsuits from people who had heart attacks after seeing those creepy light-up clowns.

•   
    • Circle of Ancients

YES, YES it was!

It seems I've arrived just in time to correct a little mis-statement.

That reasoning has absolutely nothing to do why Spectro isn't playing in the Magic Kingdom. Spectro was not actually cancelled. WDW's genius marketing team got the idea to bring back the MSEP again because they had absolutely no new attractions that summer. Nothing to do with any problems with SpectroMagic... because really, they're weren't any major issues with the parade at all. Just some minor mechanical issues that would come up from time to time. Biggest problem was keeping the carousel animals moving... and Chernabog's wings... Ha ha.

And yes, some of Spectro's floats are heavier than MSEP. But Disney has much heavier floats in use elsewhere.
    -Bill

•   
    • Circle of Ancients

Quote Originally Posted by ttintagel View Post
    I'm guessing lawsuits from people who had heart attacks after seeing those creepy light-up clowns.
    I'd take those clowns any day over the new clowns in Storybook Circus. *shivers*
    -Bill

Quote Originally Posted by Bill View Post
    It seems I've arrived just in time to correct a little mis-statement.

That reasoning has absolutely nothing to do why Spectro isn't playing in the Magic Kingdom. Spectro was not actually cancelled. WDW's genius marketing team got the idea to bring back the MSEP again because they had absolutely no new attractions that summer. Nothing to do with any problems with SpectroMagic... because really, they're weren't any major issues with the parade at all. Just some minor mechanical issues that would come up from time to time. Biggest problem was keeping the carousel animals moving... and Chernabog's wings... Ha ha.

And yes, some of Spectro's floats are heavier than MSEP. But Disney has much heavier floats in use elsewhere.
    OHH NOOO!!! Mr Bill, wrong again! Tell me one float that is heavier than the Spectro Carousel float? And no guessing this time! How about some actual facts? Or are your opinions better than facts?

It was actually thanks to growing up going to Disneyland like 3 times a year and going through the parade crowds that made it so I am a perfect crowd dodger. My dad never wanted to stop and watch the parades so we ducked and weaved through the crowds to get to ride space mountain a few times. Also being under 5 feet tall helps if you can see under people's arms and the small spaces you can slip through. To this day I don't have a problem walking through the crowds. But I do agree that there should be at least one more crossing space in the Magic Kingdom.

•   
    • Circle of Ancients

OHH NOOO!!! Mr Bill, wrong again! Tell me one float that is heavier than the Spectro Carousel float? And no guessing this time! How about some actual facts? Or are your opinions better than facts?
    Monsters Inc Block Party Bash Float
    Most of the Fantillusion Floats
    Many TDL Electrical Parade Dreamlights Floats

All these floats weigh the same or more than 129 tons... which is how much the carousel float weighs.
    Last edited by Bill; 03-31-2013 at 07:04 PM.
    -Bill

• Shubisha

Monsters Inc is the heaviest single float anywhere if memory serves.

//Must be why the parade's being cancelled too!!!

• Minion

ORDDU: Someone on another thread with a similar topic mentioned that the Spectro Magic floats haven't been maintained very well while in storage and that they have deteriorated over time. I'm not sure how true this is but it would make sense as a reason why they can't bring it back.

I was once at California Adventure during a parade. We were stopped and watching it. At a gap in floats, the CM's started waving people through. But when they stopped letting folks go, it turned out that a family had been separated--5 members or so had crossed, but one little boy (6 or 7) had gotten left behind. The mom was frantic and started berating the CM's. But the CM's made them wait until the next gap, obviously.
    I felt really bad for the mom, but I don't think her meltdown was helping the little boy at all. He looked terrified. Had it been me (I am a mom, too), I would have been yelling reassurance to my son--"Silly Goose, what are you doing there? Don't worry, it's just a couple of minutes. The cast member there will take care of you. We're not leaving without you."
    Because the last thing that CM needs is a little boy having a melt-down with no parent nearby to handle it.
    (I'd like to say that because I consider myself a good parent, I would never lose track of a child at Disneyland...but it does happen. :-( You never forget when it does.)

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234