Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Angry Guests that cross the street during parades..

Mr. Gaston is back and once again he has another rant to share!

April - August of 2012, I was working at Magic Kingdom as part of the Disney College Program I was Parade Control and Main Entrance Operations, the one major problem we always had, whether it was the Electrical Parade or the Celebrate a Dream Come True parade were "runners".

"Runners" were individuals who would proceed to run across the street onto oncoming parade traffic, risking their safety and the safety of everyone they'd pull in. PAC was tasked to make sure this didn't happen, but despite the amount of people we had, it was impossible to keep track of everyone and when we did stop people, we were yelled at because they didn't want to wait till the parade was over.

My question is, what is your opinion of "Runners"? Do you feel their cause to be just? Or do you wish for them to stop?

• Minion

Re: Guests that cross the street during parades..

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Gaston View Post
    Mr. Gaston is back and once again he has another rant to share!

April - August of 2012, I was working at Magic Kingdom as part of the Disney College Program I was Parade Control and Main Entrance Operations, the one major problem we always had, whether it was the Electrical Parade or the Celebrate a Dream Come True parade were "runners".

"Runners" were individuals who would proceed to run across the street onto oncoming parade traffic, risking their safety and the safety of everyone they'd pull in. PAC was tasked to make sure this didn't happen, but despite the amount of people we had, it was impossible to keep track of everyone and when we did stop people, we were yelled at because they didn't want to wait till the parade was over.

My question is, what is your opinion of "Runners"? Do you feel their cause to be just? Or do you wish for them to stop?
    Depends on the situation. if a guy is trying to run over to meet his family after waiting in a crazy long line to get refreshments or a kid trying to get back after going to the bathroom, then fine. if its just a group being ignorant and too lazy to walk around the obviously roped off parade route then they should be reprimanded. of course obviously in any situation where there needs to be a crossing just get a CM's attention and I'm sure someone like yourself would be sympathetic to the individual request and help hurry them across in time.

Quote Originally Posted by goofy donald View Post
    Depends on the situation. if a guy is trying to run over to meet his family after waiting in a crazy long line to get refreshments or a kid trying to get back after going to the bathroom, then fine. if its just a group being ignorant and too lazy to walk around the obviously roped off parade route then they should be reprimanded. of course obviously in any situation where there needs to be a crossing just get a CM's attention and I'm sure someone like yourself would be sympathetic to the individual request and help hurry them across in time.
    Absolutely, we set up crossings for a reason, it's just people prefer to run and put themselves in danger despite the circumstances.

• Minion

ORDDU: No crossing means just that--no crossing. There is no good excuse for it--unless there's a raging fire chasing you from behind--or some lunatic is after you with a knife or even just his or her bare hands. Some people are always looking for an excuse to break the rules because they believe they are above them. It's the same way with how people drive their cars or even just walk into various stores, acting as if no one else matters but them. People need to learn patience because it's becoming a lost art.

Some people learn by being told what not to do. For example, a mom tells her kid to not stick their fingers into the hot oven because they'll get burnt. Some people learn by doing. For example, even though the mom told the kid to not put their finger in the oven, kid does it anyway, gets burnt, and learns to not do it again.

As for crossings, if they're not in good places, people won't use them. And you'll always have some people that will run across. But if there is no real penalty besides the possibility of getting hurt, people will do it. It's like parking illegally knowing that it's rare that you'll actually get a ticket, but it's more convenient to park illegally. So you do it and take the risk because the benefit outweighs the chance of getting caught. Now, if people were informed that if they crossed over during a parade that they would be kicked out of the park, maybe you'd have less people doing it.

There will always be people to break the rules. There's always some people who will steal, go over the speed limit, or use their cell phone while driving. Its a fact of life and there's nothing anyone can do about it.
    "Our greatest natural resource is the minds of our children." - Walter Elias Disney

Ive never done it, nor would i ....but.....tell who hasnt got caught on the wrong side of the rope, and had it cross your mind, just alittle.....lol

Sometimes it's quite confusing, especially at night. I remember one night in which I made the mistake of thinking something was a designating crossing point. I got a pretty embarrassing verbal "beating" because of it.
    DisneyTwins
    Since May 2003

• Characters are my friends

I hate it. I wish people would stay behind the ropes until the parade is over, or go to a designated crossing area
    Many as a kid (1986-1998)Aug 98- Port OrleansMarch 03- Jr Band Trip (offsite)Aug 03- Port OrleansJan 12-Aug 5, 05- CP (CS)Jan 1-5, 06- AS Sports (Solo Trip)May 24, 06 to Jan 5, 07- CP (CS)Jan 31-Feb 3, 07- offsite (solo trip)March 1-3, 2007- Dad + Me (offsite)May 16-Aug 10, 07- CP (CS)Aug 10-12, 07- GF/P&PMay 21-Aug 15, 08- CP (PC)Aug 15-18, 08- AKLMarch 25-29, 09 (off-site)Aug 10, 09-Jan 2, 10- CP (CS)Jan 3-May 14, 2010- CP (CS)Feb 12-16, 2012: DCL DreamOct 20-27, 2012: DCL Fantasy (East)Sept 8-12, 2013: DCL Dream

Jan 12- Aug 5, 2005- Fantasyland Merchandise
    May 24, 2006 to Jan 5, 2007- Character Attendant
    May 16- Aug 10, 2007- Epcot WS Custodial/Seasonal CA
    May 21- July 5, 2008: Casey's (QSFB); July 6-Aug 15, 2008: character attendant
    Aug 10, 2009-Jan 2, 2010: Toy Story Mania
    Jan 3-May 14, 2010: Great Movie Ride
    May 16, 2010~ Fulltime
    Montclair State Campus Rep- Fall 07, Spring 08, Fall 08, Spring 09

• Minion

i honestly feel bad for parade people. besides janitorial/cleaning and the complaints department they probably have the worst job in the parks.

• Roller coaster enthusiast

It's really amazing just how ignorant or stupid some people can be. I try to be aware of my surroundings and if I see that a parade is in my way, I wait or try and cross at the designated crossing areas which usually are well marked by tape and ropes. Those runners are usually the reason why there are big gaps in parades outside of a theme park. I've even seen runners will get real close to the float, forcing the float driver to come to a stop.
    Current coaster count: 155
    100th coaster: Phantom's Revenge at Kennywood
    150th coaster: Intimidator at Carowinds
    last new park addition: Fun Spot America

They need to pay attention and wait until the next crossing time comes up. It's not like you have to wait for the entire parade. Follow instructions.
    I pledge allegiance to the Earth, one planet, many gods, and to the universe in which she spins.

Quote Originally Posted by alphabassetgrrl View Post
    They need to pay attention and wait until the next crossing time comes up. It's not like you have to wait for the entire parade. Follow instructions.
    Or plan around it, come up with a contingency or a back up should they be running late & need to exit. Know the schedule and watch the clock. If one doesn't plan on watching the parade or fireworks, then avoid the central hub like the plague!
    "Our greatest natural resource is the minds of our children." - Walter Elias Disney

• New Member Goes Forth

I get annoyed by the runners. They should wait for the parade to end, or when they open the parade route for people to cross
    The new Star Wars plot summery:

Episode 7: Luke discovers that Darth Vader is not his father, and goes on a search for his real father

Episode 8: Darth Vader is resurrected and goes on Jerry Springer, claiming he is Luke and Leia's father

Episode 9: Princes Leia is not Luke's sister, making him furious (we all know why...).

• Shubisha

I hate the runners that get told not to cross and then do it anyways when the CM turns their back. I wish they had harsher punishments for that than a stern look.

However.. Magic Kingdom's crosswalk situation sucks. Plain and simple. For CDCT it's not a big deal because the parade's so short and so compacted anyways that a crosswalk in the middle of it wouldn't matter. But for DEP and Christmas, they have a crosswalk at the very front of town square by city hall and sometimes, but not always, a crosswalk back by the very other end of the parade route in Frontierland/Splash Mountain. Want to cross somewhere in between? Tough.

Disneyland has crosswalks where... the corner of town square, the top of main street, the matterhorn-alice in wonderland crossing, the parade takes the shorter path around the hub so more of it is open access..

Magic Kingdom's route is different and what's around the route which would require a crosswalk is different.. The walking room and traffic patterns around Casey's, their Coke Corner equivalent, has a different need for crossing sure.. But I think suggestions for crosswalks should include one either there or at the Tomorrowland-Hub juncture, potentially one in Liberty Square, and maybe moving the one from Splash Mountain to be a little further down to where the pathway to Adventureland is by Country Bears so that there isn't such a long stretch of Frontierland without one.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast