Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

• Minion

Re: Is Disney's Hollywood Studios' theme a bit loose?

True, but I'm thinking more of the fact that the attractions now get inserted to any thought or reason why they should be there. Of course, I'm mainly grousing about Midway Mania, because while it's a fun attraction it has absolutely no connection to the theme of the park. It makes perfect sense in DCA, but no sense at the Studios. [...] If you're going to theme an area to represent a movie studio, like Pixar Place attempts to, that needs to tie in with the attraction. It's not good enough just to have random rides based on movies put into brick or stucco buildings. I'm not asking them to bend over backwards, just to think a little bit about what they're doing before they do it.
    This is exactly what I was going to say, only I probably wouldn't have said it so well. The generic "showbiz" theme is just fine, as long as they stick to it when building new attractions.

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • is in Antarctica

Quote Originally Posted by Hathaway Browne View Post
    ^I agree with those quotes, it does seem to be the "anything goes" park, and to some extent a movie themed park can get away with it, but it has to be done right. The old 'live set' angle is long since out of date and probably needs removing on things that don't need it. (i.e Star Tours) but there are parts of the park that can still have the live set aspect and work just fine. (Motors Action perhaps).

And yes, WDS is getting a Ratatouille attraction, which will come with its only little mini-land (well square) themed to Paris. I'm sure the attraction and the theme of the area will be great, but will probably be dampened by the insistence to put "live set" items here and there to help the studio theme.

Guess you can't win them all.
    I honestly don't understand this non-exotic theme binge that WDI has been going on.

Hollywood works in Florida because Hollywood is across the country.

But honestly if you are in Paris, the last thing you want to do is go to Disney's version of Paris, when it is a 15 min train ride away!

That was always my issue with DCA... why go to Disney's Hollywood, San Francisco, Stat Park, Desert, Pier when those things are so very close and iconic individual experiences on their own.

A theme park is about escapism. The hot set idea, was tacky and poor and it didn't allow you to escape, because it always reminded you "this is all fake"

Yes we are grown adults we know it is fake. We don't need a "hot set" stamp to remind us.

People are paying thousands of dollars to escape reality even if it is just for a few minutes.

That is the whole point of the themed experience.
    Get the latest and greatest theme park news by

• Circle of Ancients

Blog Entries

If they had really wanted to have a Studio/Theme Park, they could have packed their bags a second time, left Burbank and established Walt Disney Studios and Walt Disney Company's headquarters in Anaheim. Walt Disney Studios Park could have opened here. Their facility in Burbank is too small to accomodate large tour groups but the new new Disney Studios could have been planned for them.

• Minion

Interesting related blog post:

Hooray For Disney World! « Progress City, U.S.A.

• Circle of Ancients

Blog Entries

Thank you, ttintagel

And if you ever needed any more evidence that Eisner was pretty much a jerk, check out the ribbon cutting for the Studio Tour at the end. Sure the voice-over is really a bizarre choice, but watch Eisner impatiently eye-roll and wave at the guy to hurry up. Dude, you’re on-camera. Just chill out. You’re cutting a ribbon with Mickey Mouse and Bette Midler, for a tour of empty soundstages. It can wait 10 seconds.
    It never worked because the actors and crew are in New York or California, not Orlando. Nobody wanted to relocate there for a few months, to work on a movie.
    Last edited by CaliforniaAdventurer; 03-22-2013 at 10:04 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by ttintagel View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by CaliforniaAdventurer View Post
    Thank you, ttintagel

It never worked because the actors and crew are in New York or California, not Orlando. Nobody wanted to relocate there for a few months, to work on a movie.
    Did anyone notice the late John Ritter at the 24 second mark?

But I wonder how the person who wrote that piece was able to see Eisner's apparent eye roll. The area around his eyes were too dark for me to see it. The only thing I did see was his waving his hand to get the ball rolling.
    Last edited by stitchfanocala; 03-22-2013 at 10:38 AM.
    "Our greatest natural resource is the minds of our children." - Walter Elias Disney

• Circle of Ancients

Blog Entries

Eisner even considered building a Disney-MGM Studios minipark/ministudio/mini mall in Burbank...

What’s hilarious about this concept is just how many Eisner-era fetishes and tropes it features: A stranded ship, much like Typhoon Lagoon. Nightclubs much like the plans for Pleasure Island. Wild visions of backlots and studio tours and buildings with false fronts that you can walk behind and see that they’re fake. Something based on Splash. And, most importantly, a Ferris wheel. Always a Ferris wheel.
    Neverworlds: Burbank’s Disney-MGM Studio Backlot « Progress City, U.S.A.

• Circle of Ancients

Blog Entries

From the same article:
    In June 1987, MCA filed suit to overturn the deal and force public negotiations with other companies. MCA accused Disney executives of blackmail, and claimed that they had offered to pull out of Burbank if Universal would abandon their plans for an Orlando park. Disney denied the accusation.

But MCA wasn’t Disney’s only legal issue. The chairman of MGM-UA, Lee Rich, claimed that Disney had no rights to use licensed MGM properties or names outside of Orlando. “We were very upset about it,” Rich said of the Burbank deal. “We’re going to do anything we can to get them not to use it.” For his part, Eisner felt that it was “crystal clear” that Disney was perfectly within its rights, and pointed out that they already planned to use the MGM name in multiple overseas projects.
    As the year passed, more problems emerged. In October 1987 Disney claimed that they’d had problems attracting major retailers to the project and that the Backlot may have to be “scaled back” to become sufficiently profitable. By February 1988, the estimated cost of the complex had risen to $618 million, although Disney had entered talks with British retailer Harrods. Mitsukoshi of Japan, although not yet contacted by Disney, openly expressed interest in the project as well.

But it was not to be. On April 8th, 1988, Disney sent a letter to Burbank officials withdrawing from its agreement to buy the land. Alan Epstein, Vice President of the Disney Design Company, called the decision “extremely difficult” and claimed that Disney had already spent $2.5 million and 22,000 working hours developing the concept.

In the end, the death knell for Burbank’s Backlot was a familiar and unwelcome line; in the words of Disney spokesman Tom Deegan, “We gave it the pencil test, and it didn’t pass.”
    Apparently no one told him about BEEF LIVING IN THE SEA.
    Neverworlds: Burbank’s Disney-MGM Studio Backlot « Progress City, U.S.A.

Has anyone read this article by Kevin Yee (Universal Formula)? It shows that Universal's studio section doesn't even try to pretend that you're not being immersed in the ride, but just simply riding through a movie set.
    My top favorite Disneyland attractions:

1. Big Thunder Mountain Railroad
    2. Pirates of the Caribbean
    3. Splash Mountain
    4. Mad Tea Party
    5. Peter Pan's Flight
    6. Roger Rabbit's Car Toon Spin

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12