Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Is Disney's Hollywood Studios' theme a bit loose?

Does anyone think that Disney's Hollywood Studios' theme of movies is a bit loose for a theme? It seems like it. It seems like it is WDW's resident "anything" park, for a lack of better words. Is that supposed to be the case?
    My top favorite Disneyland attractions:

1. Big Thunder Mountain Railroad
    2. Pirates of the Caribbean
    3. Splash Mountain
    4. Mad Tea Party
    5. Peter Pan's Flight
    6. Roger Rabbit's Car Toon Spin

• Nutty about Disney parks

Re: Is Disney's Hollywood Studios' theme a bit loose?

Well the original theme of the park (a working studio concept) I would say was too tight, that it made it difficult for Disney to add any high quality attractions and clones to the park unless they vastly loosened the theme. But now as many will tell you, the theme has become a jumbled mess as a result.
    Toonaspie: I have Asperger's. I like cartoons. Toonaspie!

• New Member Goes Forth

Personally, it should be themed to the golden age of films, and have dark rides of classic Disney films. Also, they should restore some PCC cars and have them travel from Hollywwod Boulevard (from the entrance) to the Chinease Theatre and up Sunset Boulevard, terminating at the Hollwood Tower Hotel (Tower of Terror).
    The new Star Wars plot summery:

Episode 7: Luke discovers that Darth Vader is not his father, and goes on a search for his real father

Episode 8: Darth Vader is resurrected and goes on Jerry Springer, claiming he is Luke and Leia's father

Episode 9: Princes Leia is not Luke's sister, making him furious (we all know why...).

Quote Originally Posted by Trumpet View Post
    Personally, it should be themed to the golden age of films, and have dark rides of classic Disney films.
    Wait, doesn't Fantasyland kind of fill that job (any Fantasyland in the world, not just at WDW)?

Also, they should restore some PCC cars and have them travel from Hollywwod Boulevard (from the entrance) to the Chinease Theatre and up Sunset Boulevard, terminating at the Hollwood Tower Hotel (Tower of Terror).
    What is PCC?

3. Splash Mountain
    4. Mad Tea Party
    5. Peter Pan's Flight

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • is in Antarctica

I feel like Hollywood Studios' current theme is:

"Let's put everyting hollywood/california/showbizzy into a cannon and shoot it out and see where it sticks"
    Get the latest and greatest theme park news by

It had a movies studio theme when it first opened. I remember the backstage tour when it took you down the street where you could see the Golden Girls house. But now the park is just a "Cars Land" away from becoming the east coast version of Pixar Land, aka Disney's California Adventure.
    "Our greatest natural resource is the minds of our children." - Walter Elias Disney

• Tomorrow's Child

Quote Originally Posted by Disneylandfan85 View Post
    What is PCC?
    PCC is Presidents' Conference Committee, which is the name for a specific design of tram/streetcar.

Its similar to the Red Car Trolley found at DCA, but a slightly different style.

PCC in San Francisco

DCA's Red Car

"We're not trying to entertain the critics ... I'll take my chances with the public." -
    Walt Disney

• Metro-Retro Historian

The Disney Hollywood Studios theme currently seems to be movies, television and show business. Unfortunately, Disney only seems to want to make rides based on movies for all their parks anymore so that theme has become completely meaningless.
    It bothers me when people selectively edit quotes to support whatever point they are trying to prove.

• MiceChat Moderator
    • Starcruiser.. crash crash

Everyone nailed it. It was too specific of a theme... but too loose at the same time.

Simply being a movie studio means anything goes... including little to no theming at all. Or.. at least to me, soundstages, while accurate theming, isn't my idea of a good time.

I think the whole place needs another rebranding.

Hollywood and Sunset Blvd needs to become "Hollywoodland".

The backlot area should really become a backlot where guests learn about the making of movies.

The rest of the park needs to be properly themed to popular locations of the movies or a specific franchise altogether.

NO MORE SOUND STAGES. NO MORE HOT SETS.

Walt Disney's Disneyland was truly the movie theme park but he knew too well that it's not the "behind the scenes" that people want to experience. It's the finished result and magic of the movies that people love and want.

Every original land of Disneyland was a movie genre, with the exception of Main Street USA, but that could have been a movie location just the same.

Disney's Hollywood Studio needs to go back to the roots of what the original Disneyland concept was. And then everything will fall into place.

Visit my mice chat toy shop!
    http://micechat.com/forums/merchandi...oy-shoppe.html

Track Disney Animation Presence in the Theme Parks Worldwide!
    http://micechat.com/forums/disneylan...ired-them.html

• Circle of Ancients

Blog Entries

The sad thing was, they "recreated" a copy of the "Golden Girls" house for the tourists to drive by, it was never the actual house that they used in the show. The whole thing was a bad idea, since nothing was an actual movie artifact and no directors wanted to shoot any movies there.

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • is in Antarctica

Quote Originally Posted by Dapper Dan View Post
    The Disney Hollywood Studios theme currently seems to be movies, television and show business. Unfortunately, Disney only seems to want to make rides based on movies for all their parks anymore so that theme has become completely meaningless.
    GOSPEL TRUTH!

How is Showbiz special when everything is based off a movie or TV show now?
    Get the latest and greatest theme park news by

•   
    • Circle of Ancients

The park's original theme was fine. What happened is that some executives used the "studios" themeing as an excuse to cheap out on things when they should have been built out entirely. That's why the park is so lost.
    -Bill

• Tomorrow's Child

While the current theme of DHS is a little lackadaisical its certainly not terrible.
    At least it does have some coherence... what I'm trying to say is, it could be worse. Look at WDS in Paris. Same studio theme, but with hardly any of the charm of DHS. True, both seem to be the "anything goes" park when it comes to new attractions, but at least there's an underlying narrative in DHS.

"We're not trying to entertain the critics ... I'll take my chances with the public." -
    Walt Disney

Quote Originally Posted by Hathaway Browne View Post
    While the current theme of DHS is a little lackadaisical its certainly not terrible.
    At least it does have some coherence... what I'm trying to say is, it could be worse. Look at WDS in Paris. Same studio theme, but with hardly any of the charm of DHS. True, both seem to be the "anything goes" park when it comes to new attractions, but at least there's an underlying narrative in DHS.
    The thing that bothers me about this, and one reason why I brought up the question in the first place, is in this one review of the park from Studios Central: Defending the Studios - Studios Weekly | Disney's Hollywood Studios Information and Guide. It's found in a response to the main article, which says:

"I don't disagree, because I wont sit here and say randomness is the way to go. [...] Any perceived 'random attractions' are the result of someone watering down an idea presented to them until it meets whatever budgets they have."
    True, but I'm thinking more of the fact that the attractions now get inserted to any thought or reason why they should be there. Of course, I'm mainly grousing about Midway Mania, because while it's a fun attraction it has absolutely no connection to the theme of the park. It makes perfect sense in DCA, but no sense at the Studios. [...] If you're going to theme an area to represent a movie studio, like Pixar Place attempts to, that needs to tie in with the attraction. It's not good enough just to have random rides based on movies put into brick or stucco buildings. I'm not asking them to bend over backwards, just to think a little bit about what they're doing before they do it.

That was partially what drove me to bring this up, because it seems that the Studios can get away with randomness. For instance, look at Star Tours, also mentioned in the article:

Setting Star Tours on a soundstage, for instance, is an enormous cop-out. I thought so the first time I went as a kid - I didn't know what they were going for, with C-3PO's coffee break area and bulletin board off to the side. Are we going to Endor, or are we watching people make a movie about people going to Endor? Introducing the "working set" idea creates a whole extra layer of stuff to get between the guest and the experience.

So my point is, it seems as though almost anything can get away with fitting in this park whose theme is a bit lackadaisical when the only theme is movies and TV.

And as for Paris, that park's theme I heard that they are supposedly getting a new dark ride themed to "Ratatouille".

3. Splash Mountain
    4. Mad Tea Party
    5. Peter Pan's Flight

• Tomorrow's Child

^I agree with those quotes, it does seem to be the "anything goes" park, and to some extent a movie themed park can get away with it, but it has to be done right. The old 'live set' angle is long since out of date and probably needs removing on things that don't need it. (i.e Star Tours) but there are parts of the park that can still have the live set aspect and work just fine. (Motors Action perhaps).

And yes, WDS is getting a Ratatouille attraction, which will come with its only little mini-land (well square) themed to Paris. I'm sure the attraction and the theme of the area will be great, but will probably be dampened by the insistence to put "live set" items here and there to help the studio theme.

Guess you can't win them all.

Walt Disney

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast