Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Re: What is wrong with Soarin'?

Quote Originally Posted by EC82 View Post
    Here's what I was told point blank by a very, very senior executive at Walt Disney Imagineering a couple of years ago:

If people are still coming to a ride or attraction, Disney's top Burbank executives see ABSOLUTELY no need to for change, improvement or a refurb except in the case of guest safety issues. They care ONLY about whether people are spending money. Most of them have never even been inside Ellen's Energy Adventure or Impressions de France, so they don't understand what the "crazy fan" complaints are about. People are still going into those rides. If a dinosaur stops moving, a pirate's wiring is visible, a film was made in 1980, or there are (horrors!) scratches on a film print, their attitude is "WHO CARES?" People are still going on the ride/attraction in numbers big enough to justify operations costs. "Bad show" is not a phrase they know or care about in the slightest. Sad, but true. This has caused no end of arguments between theme parks management and Walt Disney Imagineering, leading Burbank to simply fire the Imagineers and farm the work out to contractors who don't complain.
    ^Quote of the century right here. This kind of attitude from top execs is the reason WDW has (in my VERY honest opinion) lost it's focus in the last 15+ years and this loss is finally catching up to them in the forms of the Wizarding World of Harry Potter, Transformers, and Sea World's Antartica. By what this quote says, it seems some people do not understand that class, cast morale, and above all, SHOW should always, ALWAYS trump over profit. Period. Those values are what put Disney parks above the competition in the first place.

It's what I like to call the "if you build it, they will come" mentality. If you put show quality and safety above profit, guests will like what they see and return in larger numbers (and happen to spend more money). Worked for years, and is now apparently working well for the competition.

While I applaud their concern for guest safety, seems like they only got half of the above philosophy correct. Why not go the extra mile and improve show quality?

To the Imagineer who told you this, I salute you!
    To @EC82, thank you for posting this!
    Last edited by MickeyM; 04-03-2013 at 10:21 AM.

•   
    • Circle of Ancients

Quote Originally Posted by lazyboy97O View Post
    IMAX has had digital projectors available but the resolution still suffers. They have a new laser projector that is expected later this year.
    Yeah, but the resolution is good enough now for an IMAX screen. My local IMAX just upgraded to digital, and I noticed the difference for about 10 seconds... but the truth is, the image was so bright and crisp compared to the old image, I thought it was very much an upgrade.

As far as laser projectors go, I absolutely love that they are always in focus... but I worry about what the shimmer effect would do to people on such an attraction like Soarin. For those of you who don't know about projectors, Laser Projectors are so amazing and clear that they "glitter." It's quite amazing... but I can see it possibly causing motion sickness on a motion simulator.
    -Bill

• Banned User

Imagination Pavilion, Walt Disney World, EPCOT Center

Oh just wow... So that's why the modernized version of the original Journey Into Imagination's announcement isn't coming yet. Because of the management. What a bunch of crap. Disney can do way better then this.

Quote Originally Posted by DreamfinderFigment View Post
    Oh just wow... So that's why the modernized version of the original Journey Into Imagination's announcement isn't coming yet. Because of the management. What a bunch of crap. Disney can do way better then this.
    Imagination 4.0 hasn't been announced yet probably because 1)management and 2)Imagination's loss of Kodak as a sponsor in 2010. No sponsor = no huge budget to refurbish the pavillion. Same goes for the Energy pavillion and is probably the reason why Wonders of Life will never reopen. Energy lost ExxonMobil's sponsorship in 2004 and Wonders of Life lost MetLife's in 2001.

While I only rode Epcot's Soarin' once; I have noticed a similar lack of film quality at DCA. Fortunately the sheer novelty of the ride helps overcome this issue a bit. However I hope an upgraded Soarin' will come to both parks, and soon.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123