Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 35
  1. #1

    • New Member
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    Golden, CO
    Posts
    38

    What is wrong with Soarin'?



    Took this video yesterday. I wasn't going to film, but I pulled out my phone to have proof once I noticed the problem. Look at the black vertical lines and black spots that appear and disappear on the screen. It was so distracting that I couldn't even enjoy the ride ,which is terrible because it is one of my favorites. Did anyone else notice this? This was in the Concourse 1 theater. It is absolutely terrible that they would let people stand in line for 90 minutes or waste a fastpass to see that. This is unacceptable. Soarin' needs a refurb NOW!

  2. #2

    • Member
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    Ocala, FL
    Posts
    867

    Re: What is wrong with Soarin'?

    I noticed them too on Saturday when I went, though I'm not sure which concourse it was. I've also noticed this problem with both screens at the one in California. It's either dirt on the film or camera lenses, or something else. But I don't think they've been there the entire time.
    "Our greatest natural resource is the minds of our children." - Walter Elias Disney

  3. #3

    • Mr Test Track
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Olney, MD
    Posts
    105

    Re: What is wrong with Soarin'?

    I noticed that a long time ago (2 years ago) and I think it is because it is a projection. Projections get worn out and that is why if you watch old black and white movies on TV they have the same problems. Now we are getting into the digital era where everything is on the computer and this is showing that they should replace this old screen with a new full HD TV style screen. They are Disney after all!
    Trips to WDW / DLR

    Wilderness Lodge - 2 times
    Beach Club - 3 times
    Boardwalk - 2 times
    Caribbean Beach - 1 time
    Grand Floridian - 1 time
    Disneyland Hotel - 1 time
    Pop Century - 3 times
    DTD Holiday Inn Express - April 1st - April 5th


  4. #4

    • Member
    • Offline

    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    311

    Re: What is wrong with Soarin'?

    It's just an old, worn out film reel. It's been like this for a while now, pretty sad if you ask me. I agree, Soarin' needs a huge refurb. Speaking of scratchy, grainy film, Philharmagic also had the same problem when I went in December. Such a shame!

  5. #5

    • Iron-Clad Allie
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Posts
    39,383

    Re: What is wrong with Soarin'?

    It's a pronounced sign of wear and tear. When it will be fixed is up in the air.
    To Boldly Go Where No MiceChatter Has Gone Before!


  6. #6

    • Member
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    Ocala, FL
    Posts
    867

    Re: What is wrong with Soarin'?

    Quote Originally Posted by Ride Warrior View Post
    It's a pronounced sign of wear and tear. When it will be fixed is up in the air.
    You said that with such rhyming flair!
    "Our greatest natural resource is the minds of our children." - Walter Elias Disney

  7. #7

    • New Member
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    Golden, CO
    Posts
    38

    Re: What is wrong with Soarin'?

    Soarin' still uses film? I can't believe that they haven"t gone digital yet. It completely ruins the ride experience. I remember back when Soarin' was flawless. Those were the days.

  8. #8

    • New Member Goes Forth
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Cambridge, UK (So far away from DCA...)
    Posts
    535

    Re: What is wrong with Soarin'?

    they need to go digital at both parks. DCA's is in a poor shape, and is looking terrible compared to the rest of the park's attractions
    The new Star Wars plot summery:

    Episode 7: Luke discovers that Darth Vader is not his father, and goes on a search for his real father

    Episode 8: Darth Vader is resurrected and goes on Jerry Springer, claiming he is Luke and Leia's father

    Episode 9: Princes Leia is not Luke's sister, making him furious (we all know why...).

  9. #9

    • враг народа
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Posts
    13,984
    Blog Entries
    3

    Re: What is wrong with Soarin'?

    The projector room for Soarin' in Florida also apparently lacks the higher quality insulation and HVAC that is present in California, allowing for dust and debris to more easily get into contact with the film.

    The issue with going digital at the moment is that it would require mapping multiple projection sources.

  10. #10

    • MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • is in Antarctica
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Orlando, Florida
    Posts
    4,450

    Re: What is wrong with Soarin'?

    Who knows when it will be fixed.
    Get the latest and greatest theme park news by


  11. #11

    • Heavy Breather
    • Online

    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    A Galaxy Far Far Away
    Posts
    795

    Re: What is wrong with Soarin'?

    The Florida version needs a new film centered around traveling the world. A digital projection system would be most admirable.


    What is thy bidding, my Mouseter?

    Check out my tumblr: http://dvader2015.tumblr.com/









  12. #12

    • former CM
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    S. Cal. via Milw. & Madison Wisconsin
    Posts
    2,915

    Re: What is wrong with Soarin'?

    Quote Originally Posted by stitchfanocala View Post
    You said that with such rhyming flair!
    I too admired his style, mon frere!
    Out-rhyming the verse of a country bear.
    But now back to the black dots on Soarin', I swear.

  13. #13

    • New Member
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    Golden, CO
    Posts
    38

    Re: What is wrong with Soarin'?

    Soarin' is themed as an airport. What if you got to "fly" to different destinations? Make it like Star Tours where the ride is randomized. When you are about to board, the cast members can say something like, "Flight 319 to Colorado is now departing out of Concourse 1". Each time you ride, you get to fly to different destinations throughout the country. Heck, make a different ride for all 50 states! That would be cool!

  14. #14

    • Member
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    Ocala, FL
    Posts
    867

    Re: What is wrong with Soarin'?

    Quote Originally Posted by wsiirola View Post
    Soarin' is themed as an airport. What if you got to "fly" to different destinations? Make it like Star Tours where the ride is randomized. When you are about to board, the cast members can say something like, "Flight 319 to Colorado is now departing out of Concourse 1". Each time you ride, you get to fly to different destinations throughout the country. Heck, make a different ride for all 50 states! That would be cool!
    That is a good idea, especially being that they took the "Over California" out of the name. Or at least it seems like they did.
    "Our greatest natural resource is the minds of our children." - Walter Elias Disney

  15. #15

    • Iron-Clad Allie
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Posts
    39,383

    Re: What is wrong with Soarin'?

    Quote Originally Posted by stitchfanocala View Post
    You said that with such rhyming flair!
    You, me and Mickey each give a care.

    Quote Originally Posted by wsiirola View Post
    Soarin' still uses film? I can't believe that they haven"t gone digital yet. It completely ruins the ride experience. I remember back when Soarin' was flawless. Those were the days.
    At least one can use a deteriorating film as a sign that an attration needs to be refurbished. A digital projection system gathers dust and debris and just quits working without advance warning.

    Quote Originally Posted by lazyboy97O View Post
    The projector room for Soarin' in Florida also apparently lacks the higher quality insulation and HVAC that is present in California, allowing for dust and debris to more easily get into contact with the film.

    The issue with going digital at the moment is that it would require mapping multiple projection sources.
    Mapping multiple projection sources might involve more time, trouble and expense than just creating a brand new digital film.

    Quote Originally Posted by LordVader View Post
    The Florida version needs a new film centered around traveling the world. A digital projection system would be most admirable.
    I'd prefer for WDW to keep it's Soarin' Over California attraction. The Sunshine State and Disneyland can use the free attendance generating publicity.

    Quote Originally Posted by jcruise86 View Post
    I too admired his style, mon frere!
    Out-rhyming the verse of a country bear.
    But now back to the black dots on Soarin', I swear.
    Digitalize our smiles Disney, if you dare!

    Quote Originally Posted by stitchfanocala View Post
    That is a good idea, especially being that they took the "Over California" out of the name. Or at least it seems like they did.
    Taking California off the Marguee just makes it seem more like opening up a Soaring Over California present.
    To Boldly Go Where No MiceChatter Has Gone Before!


Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. What is WRONG with people
    By dsnylndmom in forum MiceChat Main Lounge
    Replies: 62
    Last Post: 03-23-2006, 06:08 PM
  2. What was wrong with Main Street?
    By Adventurer in forum Tokyo Disney Resort
    Replies: 44
    Last Post: 01-20-2006, 06:07 PM
  3. What's wrong with being single?
    By sunnygirl in forum Gibson Girls
    Replies: 442
    Last Post: 08-22-2005, 09:37 PM
  4. What's Wrong with Being a Slut?!
    By Witches of Morva in forum Gibson Girls
    Replies: 585
    Last Post: 08-18-2005, 09:24 AM
  5. What's Wrong With This Picture?
    By drnilescrane in forum MiceChat Main Lounge
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: 06-09-2005, 02:42 AM

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •