Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

What is wrong with Soarin'?

Took this video yesterday. I wasn't going to film, but I pulled out my phone to have proof once I noticed the problem. Look at the black vertical lines and black spots that appear and disappear on the screen. It was so distracting that I couldn't even enjoy the ride ,which is terrible because it is one of my favorites. Did anyone else notice this? This was in the Concourse 1 theater. It is absolutely terrible that they would let people stand in line for 90 minutes or waste a fastpass to see that. This is unacceptable. Soarin' needs a refurb NOW!

Re: What is wrong with Soarin'?

I noticed them too on Saturday when I went, though I'm not sure which concourse it was. I've also noticed this problem with both screens at the one in California. It's either dirt on the film or camera lenses, or something else. But I don't think they've been there the entire time.
    "Our greatest natural resource is the minds of our children." - Walter Elias Disney

• Mr Test Track

I noticed that a long time ago (2 years ago) and I think it is because it is a projection. Projections get worn out and that is why if you watch old black and white movies on TV they have the same problems. Now we are getting into the digital era where everything is on the computer and this is showing that they should replace this old screen with a new full HD TV style screen. They are Disney after all!
    Trips to WDW / DLR

Wilderness Lodge - 2 times
    Beach Club - 3 times
    Boardwalk - 2 times
    Caribbean Beach - 1 time
    Grand Floridian - 1 time
    Disneyland Hotel - 1 time
    Pop Century - 3 times
    DTD Holiday Inn Express - April 1st - April 5th

It's just an old, worn out film reel. It's been like this for a while now, pretty sad if you ask me. I agree, Soarin' needs a huge refurb. Speaking of scratchy, grainy film, Philharmagic also had the same problem when I went in December. Such a shame!

• Iron-Clad Allie

It's a pronounced sign of wear and tear. When it will be fixed is up in the air.
    To Boldly Go Where No MiceChatter Has Gone Before!

Quote Originally Posted by Ride Warrior View Post
    It's a pronounced sign of wear and tear. When it will be fixed is up in the air.
    You said that with such rhyming flair!
    "Our greatest natural resource is the minds of our children." - Walter Elias Disney

Soarin' still uses film? I can't believe that they haven"t gone digital yet. It completely ruins the ride experience. I remember back when Soarin' was flawless. Those were the days.

• New Member Goes Forth

they need to go digital at both parks. DCA's is in a poor shape, and is looking terrible compared to the rest of the park's attractions
    The new Star Wars plot summery:

Episode 7: Luke discovers that Darth Vader is not his father, and goes on a search for his real father

Episode 8: Darth Vader is resurrected and goes on Jerry Springer, claiming he is Luke and Leia's father

Episode 9: Princes Leia is not Luke's sister, making him furious (we all know why...).

• враг народа

Blog Entries

The projector room for Soarin' in Florida also apparently lacks the higher quality insulation and HVAC that is present in California, allowing for dust and debris to more easily get into contact with the film.

The issue with going digital at the moment is that it would require mapping multiple projection sources.

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • is in Antarctica

Who knows when it will be fixed.
    Get the latest and greatest theme park news by

• Heavy Breather

The Florida version needs a new film centered around traveling the world. A digital projection system would be most admirable.

What is thy bidding, my Mouseter?

Check out my tumblr: http://dvader2015.tumblr.com/

• former CM

Quote Originally Posted by stitchfanocala View Post
    I too admired his style, mon frere!
    Out-rhyming the verse of a country bear.
    But now back to the black dots on Soarin', I swear.

Soarin' is themed as an airport. What if you got to "fly" to different destinations? Make it like Star Tours where the ride is randomized. When you are about to board, the cast members can say something like, "Flight 319 to Colorado is now departing out of Concourse 1". Each time you ride, you get to fly to different destinations throughout the country. Heck, make a different ride for all 50 states! That would be cool!

Quote Originally Posted by wsiirola View Post
    Soarin' is themed as an airport. What if you got to "fly" to different destinations? Make it like Star Tours where the ride is randomized. When you are about to board, the cast members can say something like, "Flight 319 to Colorado is now departing out of Concourse 1". Each time you ride, you get to fly to different destinations throughout the country. Heck, make a different ride for all 50 states! That would be cool!
    That is a good idea, especially being that they took the "Over California" out of the name. Or at least it seems like they did.

• Iron-Clad Allie

You, me and Mickey each give a care.

Quote Originally Posted by wsiirola View Post
    Soarin' still uses film? I can't believe that they haven"t gone digital yet. It completely ruins the ride experience. I remember back when Soarin' was flawless. Those were the days.
    At least one can use a deteriorating film as a sign that an attration needs to be refurbished. A digital projection system gathers dust and debris and just quits working without advance warning.

Quote Originally Posted by lazyboy97O View Post
    The projector room for Soarin' in Florida also apparently lacks the higher quality insulation and HVAC that is present in California, allowing for dust and debris to more easily get into contact with the film.

The issue with going digital at the moment is that it would require mapping multiple projection sources.
    Mapping multiple projection sources might involve more time, trouble and expense than just creating a brand new digital film.

Quote Originally Posted by LordVader View Post
    The Florida version needs a new film centered around traveling the world. A digital projection system would be most admirable.
    I'd prefer for WDW to keep it's Soarin' Over California attraction. The Sunshine State and Disneyland can use the free attendance generating publicity.

Quote Originally Posted by jcruise86 View Post
    I too admired his style, mon frere!
    Out-rhyming the verse of a country bear.
    But now back to the black dots on Soarin', I swear.
    Digitalize our smiles Disney, if you dare!

That is a good idea, especially being that they took the "Over California" out of the name. Or at least it seems like they did.
    Taking California off the Marguee just makes it seem more like opening up a Soaring Over California present.
    To Boldly Go Where No MiceChatter Has Gone Before!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast