Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

• Filmmaker

Re: Iron man monorail wrap debuts at WDW

Quote Originally Posted by deathcomesarippin View Post
    Yeah but do you all serisouly think a Super hero like that fits into Disney?
    Why not? We have pirates, ghosts, 1930s archaeologists, Jedi, aliens, living toys, talking mice, princesses, dragons, etc. Why are all of those okay together but not a man in a gold titanium alloy suit?

•   
    • Circle of Ancients

You know, a Marvel hotel might not be such a bad idea at WDW.
    -Bill

• -

Yeah but do you all serisouly think a Super hero like that fits into Disney?
    Yep. Why wouldn't it?
    "You can cut me off from the civilized world. You can incarcerate me with two moronic cellmates. You can torture me with your thrice daily swill, but you cannot break the spirit of a Winchester. My voice shall be heard from this wilderness and I shall be delivered from this fetid and festering sewer."

• Disneyland 19 year APH

They did this for the Subs at Disneyland and for the 50th on the Mark V monorails. They still have not touch our new Mark VIIs (expect for the Carland faces). I found this thread Who has interesting pictures of the Disneyland Monorail? of the different Disneyland Monorail photos. but
    Check out my work on openstreetmap.org
    http://www.openstreetmap.org/?lat=33...om=17&layers=M

• starhorse

Quote Originally Posted by Illusion0fLife View Post
    Why not? We have pirates, ghosts, 1930s archaeologists, Jedi, aliens, living toys, talking mice, princesses, dragons, etc. Why are all of those okay together but not a man in a gold titanium alloy suit?
    Exactly. Give me one good reason why superheroes "don't fit" in a Disney context? Personally, Marvel being under the Disney banner takes me back to when The Rocketeer came out - which, by all rights, SHOULD have been the first big hit in Disney's own hero franchise. I'm sad it wasn't. (That said, the director of Rocketeer went on to make Captain America, so it's kind of all come full circle now...)
    carrying bottled skies around
    twitter.com/equustel

Quote Originally Posted by Bill View Post
    You know, a Marvel hotel might not be such a bad idea at WDW.
    Thats actually an awesome idea!
    For the love of Disney....

Give me one good reason why they do fit in.

It just dosent seem right to me, The themes just clash. Could you imagine a themed area like the Islands of adventure super hero area in the middle of Walt Disney World. Maybe if they put it in the studios it wouldn't be so bad. Right now its like Disney is just throwing up ideas all over place right now and they are not taking there time to think things out.

• враг народа

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by equustel View Post
    Exactly. Give me one good reason why superheroes "don't fit" in a Disney context? Personally, Marvel being under the Disney banner takes me back to when The Rocketeer came out - which, by all rights, SHOULD have been the first big hit in Disney's own hero franchise. I'm sad it wasn't. (That said, the director of Rocketeer went on to make Captain America, so it's kind of all come full circle now...)
    Typology of story. Marvel has a history of pushing the boundaries Disney reassures.

• -

It just dosent seem right to me, The themes just clash.
    Not really. Disney itself tried its hand at the superhero genre a couple of times with movies like The Rocketeer and The Incredibles. Even Hercules was portrayed as sort of a superhero.

Could you imagine a themed area like the Islands of adventure super hero area in the middle of Walt Disney World.
    No, but I could imagine a Disney version with the kind of immersive theming that went into Cars Land.

Maybe if they put it in the studios it wouldn't be so bad.
    This wouldn't fit in there at all unless it was a stunt show that would replace Indy.

It would be much better as some type of Iron Man ride that would showcase clean energy in Tomorrowland or Future World. Of course as long as Universal maintains the theme park rights east of the Mississippi, it's never going to happen. Hopefully we get a full attraction here in CA. Unil then at least there will be a small exhibit in Innoventions.

Quote Originally Posted by lazyboy97O View Post
    Typology of story. Marvel has a history of pushing the boundaries Disney reassures.
    There was a time when innovation was still alive at Disney that they pushed boundaries as well. It was said people wouldn't sit through a full length animated feature. It was also said that adults wouldn't come to a theme park that didn't serve alcohol. The theme park itself never would have existed if Disney didn't push boundaries.
    "You can cut me off from the civilized world. You can incarcerate me with two moronic cellmates. You can torture me with your thrice daily swill, but you cannot break the spirit of a Winchester. My voice shall be heard from this wilderness and I shall be delivered from this fetid and festering sewer."

• All-American

Quote Originally Posted by calsig31 View Post
    There was a time when innovation was still alive at Disney that they pushed boundaries as well. It was said people wouldn't sit through a full length animated feature. It was also said that adults wouldn't come to a theme park that didn't serve alcohol. The theme park itself never would have existed if Disney didn't push boundaries.
    I won't pretend to always understand Lazyboy's various intellectual stances on Imagineering. But I suspect his use of "reassures" refers to Imagineer John Hench's phrase "architecture of reassurance," the idea that it is the responsibility of Disney parks to create a more beautiful and idealized take on the design of our world, an environment generally free of conflict or tension that is meant to comfort the guest. This philosophy, presented in virtually every area of Disneyland, the Magic Kingdom, and Epcot, might be opposed to the mentality of many Marvel franchises, which often feature tension, destruction, and a level of real-world grittiness not typically associated with Disney parks (even the mild violence of Pirates or Indiana Jones has a heavily fantasized, almost storybook feel to it). This to me may be the so far unspecified characteristic others have mentioned that makes IoA's Marvel Island feel different from something you'd find in a Disney park - it feels more tense and more unpleasantly real-world than typical Disney design.

This might be a huge misinterpretation of his original comment so I would love to see Lazyboy explain further.
    Last edited by MarkTwain; 04-05-2013 at 01:59 AM.

• враг народа

Blog Entries

MarkTwain, that is pretty much it. The Architecture of Reassurance comes from a very similar storytelling philosophy. Disney's stories reassure us of a world that is ultimately good and ordered, places where all we need "is faith and trust, and a little bit of [pixie] dust."

This is true is other properties brought into Disney parks. Dr. Jones isn't an archeologist so that he can gain personally like those he must foil, and we never doubt that he will bring pieces to a proper, respectable home. The same holds true for Star Wars. We don't doubt that good will triump over the dark side. The Twilight Zone did ask us important questions at times, but this does not happen when we seek to fill a vacancy on a dark side of Hollywood nor did Disney acquire control of the stories.

Marvel is different. While try have always had stories for various audiences, like those aimed at younger children, they made a name for themselves creating a world that is very grey. There is chaos and confusion, not reason. Bad guys aren't acting because they are just "evil" and they can be sympathetic. Good guys aren't always that noble in their motivations and are tempted to do otherwise. It's a very different view of the world.

Now at this point I am told that Disney has promised to leave Marvel alone, but I do not believe such stories. Pixar has only developed a franchise consciousness after its acquisition. LucasArts was just killed by Disney, a company whose own history in video games is tumultuous as best and therefore saw no need to try and fix what was wrong there. And then there is Marvel, acquired not for thousands of characters that only Sheldon Cooper remembers or for the dollars of his fellow adult comic book fans, but for boys. This does not bode well in a company that has narrowed its focus. All films are now tent pole films attached to existing or aspiring franchises. Theme park attractions must now follow suit. There is little room for diversity. Marvel gets to remain mosty left alone because Wall Street would be displeased to hear that there is meddling with the group that just released the third highest grossing film. But Disney wants those boys thinking Disney is cool. So while what is built in the parks will likely be more fitting of Disney's more black and white world, it is a process I don't think Marvel's unsure world can ultimately survive.

• Filmmaker

lazyboy, I must respectfully disagree. If we're strictly talking about the Marvel Cinematic Universe (and let's face it, any potential theme park attractions will be based on the MCU rather than the comics) there's a very strong sense of optimism that runs through it. Each character has an arc and evolution where they learn to put their own agendas aside for the good of helping people. That's more or less the entire basis of The Avengers. Yes there's darkness and there is conflict and there is adveristy, but in the end the movie is about overcoming all of that to work together as heroes and protect the people of New York.

The same is true of Star Wars, Indiana Jones, and The Twilight Zone. There is darkness in all of these. In Star Wars Luke battles his natural inclination to follow in his father's footsteps, Indiana Jones is by no means a paragon and straight up murders anyone who gives him guff, and The Twilight Zone famously dealt in murky themes of morality. Even Disney and Pixar have dealt in shades of gray on many occasions: in the beginning of The Incredibles Bob Parr is kind of a jerk while Buddy (later Syndrome) is the more sympathetic character, The Beast is a very dark character who has an evolution over the course of the story, and do I even need to go into detail regarding Pirates of the Caribbean?

I do not believe Disneyland was designed to coddle people, to try any make them believe that nothing bad could ever possibly happen. It's a land of escape, but escapism does not require everything to be happy. Throughout Disney's history there have been attractions that have dealt with dark or frightening themes, yet as dark as things get, good always triumphs over evil and things get better.

That is the key, and that's an ideal that Marvel more often than not reflects. Yes, you have adversity, yes you have villains who do terrible things, and sometimes they seem to be winning, but the heroes always win in the end. They always fight through and they always overcome. Even when they die it's not long before another writer brings them back to fight another day

I see no reason why Marvel superheroes are any less appropriate for the parks than Indiana Jones, Luke Skywalker, or Jack Sparrow.

Well I dont see the rocketeer in the parks , not to much of the incredibles (and you have to say that movie had Disney flare.) Ill admit Hercules and a little super hero to him, a little, but then again Im not really seeing him in the parks alot, her would fit better than Iron man.

Oh yeah, a clanky missile shooting, flying robot fits in really fits good with a theme more based around fantasy, old European architecture, and old America architecture. Tomorrow land also seems to space themed to fit a superhero in.

Jack sparrow fits in more, becuase the pirates ride has always been there. Possibly thats where they got inspiration from to make the movie? I never said Indiana, or Skywalker fit in great too. But they are in the studios and not the main park. The idea of stark industries replacing Ellen and Bill Nye isnt bad.

• 1,200 Miles from da Mouse

^ Stark Industrys would fit is well in Tomorrow land quite well IMO, alot better than Buzz and Monsters Inc. do..

Technically Iron Man isn't a robot technically, but a powered, computerized exoskeleton ;-)

But I do see your point, whereas Stark Industries may fit another Superhero may not, that's one of the benefits of Superheros they have SOOOOO many to choose from, I don't understand why Universal didn't do more than a few coasters with them.
    The test of success is not what you do when you are on top. Success is how high you bounce when you hit bottom.
    -George S. Patton

• враг народа

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Illusion0fLife View Post
    lazyboy, I must respectfully disagree. If we're strictly talking about the Marvel Cinematic Universe (and let's face it, any potential theme park attractions will be based on the MCU rather than the comics).
    Not even a full sentence in and you prove my point. The Walt Disney Company of today is about consolidated, marketable franchises. I just do not see how the Marvel Cinematic Universe, so long as it remain successful, does not become the Marvel Universe across the various platforms and brands of The Walt Disney Company.

Quote Originally Posted by ORD84 View Post
    ^ Stark Industrys would fit is well in Tomorrow land quite well IMO, alot better than Buzz and Monsters Inc. do..

Technically Iron Man isn't a robot technically, but a powered, computerized exoskeleton ;-)

But I do see your point, whereas Stark Industries may fit another Superhero may not, that's one of the benefits of Superheros they have SOOOOO many to choose from, I don't understand why Universal didn't do more than a few coasters with them.
    Universal built a single coaster along side one of the most amazing dark ride experiences in the world. I'm not sure we will be able to say Disney has done as much by 2015/16.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast