Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

•   
    • Circle of Ancients

Re: Disney bans solo kids under 14 at U.S. parks.

Quote Originally Posted by lazyboy97O View Post
    13 and over is different from 14 and older. COPPA also requires parental consent and some random 14 year old does not meet that criteria.
    It's 14 because some kids lie about their age, usually to make them a year older. And COPPA does NOT require parental consent on something like the data that NextGen collects if you are 13 or over.

Please also understand that this isn't my opinion of why it was done, this IS why it was done, and why it was done now.
    -Bill

• Pilot EdForceOne

Quote Originally Posted by Bill View Post
    And COPPA does NOT require parental consent on something like the data that NextGen collects if you are 13 or over.
    Of course not - because COPPA doesn't apply at all to those people 13 or older. But it doesn't answer how having someone 14 with you.. makes the minor acceptable vs having the minor be alone.. because it can't be just 'anyone' who gives consent for COPPA.

Please also understand that this isn't my opinion of why it was done, this IS why it was done, and why it was done now.
    What reason is that explictly?
    Check out my blog - Coreplex: Rambling from inside the Grid

Am I evil? yes, I am
    Am I evil? I am man, yes, I am

Quote Originally Posted by sleepyjeff View Post
    Disneyland was meant to be sipped not chug-a-lugged

From Wikipedia:

The proposed rule changes expand the definition of what it means to "collect" data from children. The new rules would also present a data retention and deletion requirement, which would mandate that data that is obtained from children is only kept for the amount of time necessary to achieve the purpose that it was collected for and also add the requirement that operators ensure that any third parties to whom a child's information is disclosed have reasonable procedures in place to protect the information.[1] The Act applies to websites and online services operated for commercial purposes that are either directed to children under 13 or have actual knowledge that children under 13 are providing information online.

• Nic

Quote Originally Posted by deathcomesarippin View Post
    It should be more like ban solo kids from the age of 14-18, I have been stuck behind enough obnoxious teenage groups in lines. But once they get into the parks what can they do? The Parents can just let the kids wander off when they want. I think it may be a safety issue too, with kids getting lost on Disney property?
    I'm sorry, but that's ridiculous. I can understand up to 13, but at the age where kids are just starting adulthood, I can't get. They can drive, but they can't go into Disneyland alone?
    Fear of the unknown.

They are afraid of new ideas.

They are loaded with prejudices, not based upon any reality, but based on… if something is new, I reject it immediately because it’s frightening to me. What they do instead is just stay with the familiar.
    You know, to me, the most beautiful things in all the universe, are the most mysterious.

Quote Originally Posted by Chesire View Post
    I'm sorry, but that's ridiculous. I can understand up to 13, but at the age where kids are just starting adulthood, I can't get. They can drive, but they can't go into Disneyland alone?
    Most of these kids shouldnt even drive. Sorry..wait im not sorry for saying this but American culture and society has gone to crap in the last years. No discipline and hardly any consequences for when these kids get out of line. Adulthood (in America) dose not start until the age of 21. Most 21-25 year old people I know are fresh out of college and are just starting to get out of that "party all the time" attitude. Ill stop becuase I dont want to open a can of worms here but It seems like Im not the minority on this.

Quote Originally Posted by LordVader View Post
    I literally have no idea how they let that fly. Oh, and the misspelling of English was intentional.
    I know, I was just agreeing with you on the subject, and didnt want to start on rant on it too haha.

• Senior Minion

Quote Originally Posted by deathcomesarippin View Post
    Most of these kids shouldnt even drive. Sorry..wait im not sorry for saying this but American culture and society has gone to crap in the last years. No discipline and hardly any consequences for when these kids get out of line. Adulthood (in America) dose not start until the age of 21. Most 21-25 year old people I know are fresh out of college and are just starting to get out of that "party all the time" attitude. Ill stop becuase I dont want to open a can of worms here but It seems like Im not the minority on this.
    You're indeed not in the minority. The last time I was at Disneyland it seemed that 14 was the new 10, 18 was the new 14 and parenting was out to lunch -- and that was four years ago. I'm not painting all teens with the same brush. But in the last 10-15 years the shift in the public behavior of many of them is obvious. (And not only among teens, it's parents as well.)
    "With the acquisition of Marvel and now of Lucasfilm,
    Disney may have finally found the grail. You don't need
    imagination or art. All you need is a brand."

- Neil Gabler

• враг народа

Blog Entries

It's 14 because some kids lie about their age, usually to make them a year older. And COPPA does NOT require parental consent on something like the data that NextGen collects if you are 13 or over.
    If under 13 parental consent is required for COPPA but a parent is not needed to enter the park. It doesn't line up at all. Even the silly excuse of lying that pushed the age up, because it doesn't stop the lying.

I don't see this having anything to do with COPPA. I agree with it. I think it's a big liability issue. Heck, I don't see why they don't ban twenty-somethings. My generation is by far the most immature and stupid of the bunch.
    DisneyTwins
    Since May 2003

About a year and a half I would have disagreed - but since then, I've had more than 1 group of kids just walk up in front of me. One said, when I said something to him, "What are you going to do? Go ahead. Hit me. I'll make sure my dad sues you AND THIS PARK!"

I wasn't acting like I was going to hit them or anything! And that's not an isolated incident! I'm only 34, but man, my mom and grandma taught me manners. They taught me to be polite and respectful and not to be a jerk. To understand that other people are there to enjoy themselves too.

Sometimes the parents don't even matter if they're there. At DL about a month ago, the partner and I were standing to the entrance way to Adventureland. This kid was walking with his parents and two ducks were walking around. The little boy runs up and starts trying to grab the damn ducks. The parents were cheering him on! Then he started trying to KICK the ducks! I was like "OMG!" What kind of parents doesn't teach their kids to respect animals! Finally after the third time of kicking the duck one of the cast members said "please don't kick the ducks." Come on!

I was bothered so much by it that I wrote Disney and asked them what to do about it in the future. Note: I don't blame Disney at all - I asked on how they would like to deal with the situation in the future. They said to immediately get a cast member and ask for a manager, that that type of behavior is never tolerated, to which I was like "good." I am not afraid to "tattle" when it comes to the welfare of animals who were doing nothing but walking around like they always do.

Ill agree, not all kids are like this but, but as a whole its sickening to see the behavior of this generation. What happened to respect! For anything! And of course they have to escalate the situation with violence like they are some bad *** (always when they have friends around.) Im glad Disney is doing this.

• Pilot EdForceOne

Quote Originally Posted by lazyboy97O View Post
    If under 13 parental consent is required for COPPA but a parent is not needed to enter the park. It doesn't line up at all. Even the silly excuse of lying that pushed the age up, because it doesn't stop the lying.
    Love how people say 'its all about COPPA' - yet can't answer how Disney's policy actually meets COPPA. They disappear when that is brought up...
    Check out my blog - Coreplex: Rambling from inside the Grid

Am I evil? yes, I am
    Am I evil? I am man, yes, I am

Quote Originally Posted by sleepyjeff View Post
    Disneyland was meant to be sipped not chug-a-lugged

I think it's a liability issue and when I talked to my best friend who was a former cast member, to her the whole rule makes sense to her due to behavior.

Although, the younger generation seems to have more behavior problems than past generations, I feel as if they can't really press that issue due to the age. When you're 14 you're barely considered a teenager, but when you're 16 you can legally drive and when you're 18 you're considered a legal adult. Therefore, I think due to those reasons it wasn't higher.

Also, as others brought up, not all of the kids in the younger generation are bad apples. I've considered myself a pretty good kid and mature for my age compared to others my age. So, I think it would be pretty unfair to me if I couldn't go due to the fact that my generation sucks as a whole. However, as for right now I should be good, since I'm over the 21 mark.

And as others have brought up, it's not just kids, but the parenting. If they didn't let everything slip before, they definitely would now if they're at a vacation spot. Do they honestly have the back bone to say, "If you don't stop misbehaving you're not going on that ride!" Or "If you don't stop doing that, we're going to leave!" Or "Now you're going to sit there and think about what you've done." Nope. They're just going to let them do what they want, or roll their eyes, or tell them to stop a billion times to "stop", or say "no", or say "kids will be kids".

• Banned User

Imagination Pavilion, Walt Disney World, EPCOT Center

What?! That's crazy! I'm 14 myself and I find that ridiculous. Sigh.. Why does everyone else my age have to be so idiotic

In 1973, my parents bought us season passes to Six Flags Over Texas. I was 15. My brothers were 10 and 9. We went alone. None of us got into any kind of trouble. Times and children have changed.
    Everyone is entitled to an informed opinion.
    Harlan Ellison

I may not be the brightest bulb on the Christmas tree, but I do shine.

Texan by birth, Californian by choice.

There should be a sticky thread called "This Day in Disney History." The company has a long history and this would be a good way to acknowledge it. Walt was born 112 years ago; that's quite a chunk of American history and culture.

• Sleepy...

Many old timers love bringing up "back in my day" stories when there were no iphone and ipods, emphasizing how adventurous it was to go to the corner store with friends with no parent in sight... but now when kids go to Disneyland it's called "instant babysitting"? While I believe it's a good decision for their safety, I don't think it goes any further than that. We like to accuse the youth about how they're "always on their phone" and that they're "never active". Maybe Disneyland with friends is THEIR corner store adventure. We're babying our kids people!

Edit - didn't realize this was on the WDW forum, whoops but what I said still applies!
    Last edited by strikeuptheband; 03-27-2013 at 07:54 PM.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast