Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Results 16 to 30 of 62
  1. #16

    • Minion
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Paper St
    Posts
    1,346

    Re: WDW Interactive Queue Lines - What's the goal here?

    Quote Originally Posted by brianpinsky View Post
    Im so glad we don't do this at Disneyland. We are to busy to focus on updating lines than building real attractions. I think the bottom line would come down to be all the enhanced queues vs. one or two new attractions? Was it worth it considering that Universial is building and rebuilding everything and the kitchen sink?
    there's no need at DL. For one thing, most of the DL audience are locals who have ridden these rides hundreds of times. People do WDW once a year, some even once a lifetime, they're going to ride everything no matter how long the wait is. So while at DL most guests have the option to bypass a long line in hopes of getting to ride it in the offseason, WDW vacationers miss that flexibility. Plus, DL has no room--all the queues there with the exception of Indy are plain and un-themed. At WDW, since lines are a necessary evil, WDW has made them part of the attraction experience, which was the right thing to do in my opinion.

    Also, as I've said before, WDW doesn't need new rides. 1, new rides don't combat the long line problem, and 2, let's be honest and say Luigi's or RSR could use something to do in those long and bland lines...sure they're new, but waiting in line for them can be cumbersome.

  2. #17

    • New Member
    • Offline

    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Clermont, Florida
    Posts
    4

    Re: WDW Interactive Queue Lines - What's the goal here?

    Besides being a germ fest they're usually quite obnoxious and certainly aside from HM they make it difficult to know who is in line and who is just playing around with no regard to the queue around them.

  3. #18

    • Minion
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    1,494

    Re: WDW Interactive Queue Lines - What's the goal here?

    The last time I was in the Barnstormer queue, there were so many parents letting small kids climb on all the stuff there that I was sure someone was going to fall and crack his skull before making it to the ride.

  4. #19

    • MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • is in Antarctica
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Orlando, Florida
    Posts
    4,450

    Re: WDW Interactive Queue Lines - What's the goal here?

    Here is my commentary on the need:

    1: MyMagic+ will create longer standby queues at WDW.
    2: Disney is also responding to changing tastes in how people like to entertained. While many might want to wax nostalgic over how they would converse with your family in the queue, in the day of smart phones sucking everyone's attention interactive queues are a way to keep everyone in a group "present and in the moment"
    3. Overall they further the story narrative being told and do not harm or damage the experience.

    Here is my commentary on the individual execution:
    1: Space Mountain - The game is too much fun and delays the line from moving forward
    2: Soarin' - The game is too much fun and delays the line from moving forward
    3: Pooh - the first portion is so distracting and takes you out of the normal queue, however it is very effective in keeping little ones busy. The Honey Wall is a terrific example of something that catches your attention and allows you to move forward.
    4: Dumbo - This separates the adults from the kids, and turns queuing into a hands off passive experience
    5: Haunted Mansion - Technically according to the story the dead do not appear until Madame Leotta so this is a departure from the story line. However it is fun to look at and play with
    6: The Voyage of the Little Mermaid - All the kids I have taken on the ride like these crab games more than the ride. So successful in the fact that they distract and entertain, but it upstages the ride.
    7: Big Thunder Mountain - Overall this works, and functions well with the story, is quick, and keeps the queue moving.

    I applaud the interactive queues, and I think with changing tastes, and expectations of entertainment, that Disney is simply keeping up wit the times.

    Personally I would like Disney to come up with queues more like the Forbidden Journey over at the Wizarding World of Harry Potter, that delight, entertain, and move the overall story forward.
    Get the latest and greatest theme park news by


  5. #20

    • When Will It Return?
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Valencia, CA
    Posts
    1,348

    Re: WDW Interactive Queue Lines - What's the goal here?

    Quote Originally Posted by TylerDurden View Post
    there's no need at DL. For one thing, most of the DL audience are locals who have ridden these rides hundreds of times. People do WDW once a year, some even once a lifetime, they're going to ride everything no matter how long the wait is.
    You must not go to both coasts very often. I see just about the same amount of people using FastPass/waiting in line for Disneyland rides that I do for rides in the WDW parks. It doesn't really matter that most of those in line at Disneyland have ridden the ride more times than they can count. The only real difference is the species "Orlando Commando" isn't really seen in California, but they aren't the ones the interactive queues are being built for.


    Quote Originally Posted by TylerDurden
    So while at DL most guests have the option to bypass a long line in hopes of getting to ride it in the offseason, WDW vacationers miss that flexibility. Plus, DL has no room--all the queues there with the exception of Indy are plain and un-themed. At WDW, since lines are a necessary evil, WDW has made them part of the attraction experience, which was the right thing to do in my opinion.
    Really? ALL of them? Star Tours - plain and unthemed? Haunted Mansion - plain & unthemed? Splash Mountain - plain & unthemed? Space Mountain - plain & unthemed? Radiator Springs Racers - plain & unthemed?

    Would you like to know why WDW has more queue space per attraction than Disneyland? WDW's parks are larger by area but have fewer shows and attractions in them. All those additional people have to go somewhere, hence more queue space. Are the lines a necessary evil? No. FastPass and now MyMagic+ will help locals and once-in-a-lifetime guests to not must be stuck in line.

    Quote Originally Posted by TylerDurden
    Also, as I've said before, WDW doesn't need new rides. 1, new rides don't combat the long line problem, and 2, let's be honest and say Luigi's or RSR could use something to do in those long and bland lines...sure they're new, but waiting in line for them can be cumbersome.
    Are you really saying adding capacity to a park will not decrease wait times overall? Really?

    You could make the argument that not adding rides will combat the long line problem because over time fewer people will visit as the park gradually loses appeal, but I don't think that's the strategy the park itself wants to consciously employ.

    Also have to disagree with RSR's queue being bland. RSR is about as themed a queue as you're going to get in terms of the conventional idea of a queue. Maybe the Dumbo waiting area is the queue of the future, but that's a different animal entirely.

    "Who among you is wise and understanding? Let him show by his good behavior his deeds in the gentleness of wisdom." -- James 3:13

  6. #21

    • враг народа
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Posts
    14,040
    Blog Entries
    3

    Re: WDW Interactive Queue Lines - What's the goal here?

    He Haunted Mansion interactive queue is only optional for the time being. When FastPass+ is implemented, it is the Stand-By queue. These are all about increased wait times otherwise they wouldn't have started with a high capacity Omnimover.

  7. #22

    • Minion
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Paper St
    Posts
    1,346

    Re: WDW Interactive Queue Lines - What's the goal here?

    Quote Originally Posted by PeoplemoverMatt View Post
    You must not go to both coasts very often. I see just about the same amount of people using FastPass/waiting in line for Disneyland rides that I do for rides in the WDW parks. It doesn't really matter that most of those in line at Disneyland have ridden the ride more times than they can count. The only real difference is the species "Orlando Commando" isn't really seen in California, but they aren't the ones the interactive queues are being built for.




    Really? ALL of them? Star Tours - plain and unthemed? Haunted Mansion - plain & unthemed? Splash Mountain - plain & unthemed? Space Mountain - plain & unthemed? Radiator Springs Racers - plain & unthemed?

    Would you like to know why WDW has more queue space per attraction than Disneyland? WDW's parks are larger by area but have fewer shows and attractions in them. All those additional people have to go somewhere, hence more queue space. Are the lines a necessary evil? No. FastPass and now MyMagic+ will help locals and once-in-a-lifetime guests to not must be stuck in line.



    Are you really saying adding capacity to a park will not decrease wait times overall? Really?

    You could make the argument that not adding rides will combat the long line problem because over time fewer people will visit as the park gradually loses appeal, but I don't think that's the strategy the park itself wants to consciously employ.

    Also have to disagree with RSR's queue being bland. RSR is about as themed a queue as you're going to get in terms of the conventional idea of a queue. Maybe the Dumbo waiting area is the queue of the future, but that's a different animal entirely.
    Alright, you seem a little excited, but I didn't mean to offend you. Just calm down and read this from an unbiased standpoint:

    1. I go to both coasts very often. I live in Orlando and have an office on Harbor Blvd that I have to go to once a month--during the summer my family comes with me and we take a few days to stay at the GCH and relax at Disneyland. I know what I'm talking about

    2. Comparing the busiest time of the year at DL to the 'moderate' times I go to WDW, I can safely say that yes, the queues are busier at WDW always. And this is because, statistically, much more of the percentage of the WDW population are vacationers from out of town--they don't drop in for an afternoon to ride what they can just hop on, they go all day to get the most out of their full vacations.

    3. You're right, some attractions do feature theming in the last fifteen or so minutes of the queue. But for all of the attractions you just mentioned, there's at least an hour or so most people wait before getting to the pretty part, and all of the overflow queues (which have become mandatory waiting places) are unthemed...Star Tours holds you in a warehouse for an hour, Haunted Mansion winds around on the relatively plan front yard of the mansion, and don't even get me started on the first leg of the Space Mountain queue.

    4. I agree with you on that point--that's why they need interactive queues. You can argue all you want that DL is better but MK gets more people, of course the lines will be longer there, especially when the majority of guests aren't AP holders like they are at DL. I'm not sure what you're saying about the whole queue space issue...WDW has better themed queue lines, end of story, and with the new improvements this title is further solidified.

    5. Adding capacity to a park will increase the number of people that go in the first place. Islands of Adventure added capacity by adding Harry Potter to their park, and all of their queue line times have increased park-wide. Unless Disney just starts putting in small people-eaters, but I don't think that's what people really want.

    6. It clearly is their strategy to not add rides, and it's working. Remember, #1 tourist destination in the world my friend.

    7. Ok, I think RSR is bland. We'll agree to disagree. I don't see anything that great about waiting in switchbacks within a few sheds (ooh, one of them is made of bottle caps....still not that exciting). The rockwork is cool but is visible from anywhere within the land. But again, we can agree to disagree.

    I'm not trying to start a war here--I'm answering the OP's question. Hopefully this clears things up a bit

  8. #23

    • Beach Expert
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    A beach town that Harbor Blvd was named after
    Posts
    10,621

    Re: WDW Interactive Queue Lines - What's the goal here?

    Quote Originally Posted by TylerDurden View Post
    1. I go to both coasts very often. I live in Orlando and have an office on Harbor Blvd that I have to go to once a month
    Would the is Harbor Blvd in Costa Mesa or further north towards La Habra? (To those not familiar with Orange County, CA Harbor Blvd is a very long street. I'm not sure how working on Harbor Blvd qualifies one as being a Disneyland expert.)


  9. #24

    • Minion
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Paper St
    Posts
    1,346

    Re: WDW Interactive Queue Lines - What's the goal here?

    Quote Originally Posted by DisneyIPresume View Post
    Would the is Harbor Blvd in Costa Mesa or further north towards La Habra? (To those not familiar with Orange County, CA Harbor Blvd is a very long street. I'm not sure how working on Harbor Blvd qualifies one as being a Disneyland expert.)

    The point is, I'm in So Cal once a month, taking a Disney trip once a year...

    I'm not really at liberty to discuss my exact location on a website, but let's just say I'm not sure why you would ignore what I said about taking a GCH stay every summer.........

  10. #25

    • Beach Expert
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    A beach town that Harbor Blvd was named after
    Posts
    10,621

    Re: WDW Interactive Queue Lines - What's the goal here?

    Quote Originally Posted by TylerDurden View Post
    The point is, I'm in So Cal once a month, taking a Disney trip once a year...

    I'm not really at liberty to discuss my exact location on a website, but let's just say I'm not sure why you would ignore what I said about taking a GCH stay every summer.........
    Not trying to debate, just something I noticed.

    Don't take it too personal. That's why I put this there -

  11. #26

    • New Member
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    Tampa, FL
    Posts
    47

    Re: WDW Interactive Queue Lines - What's the goal here?

    Quote Originally Posted by lazyboy97O View Post
    He Haunted Mansion interactive queue is only optional for the time being. When FastPass+ is implemented, it is the Stand-By queue. These are all about increased wait times otherwise they wouldn't have started with a high capacity Omnimover.
    You may have some insider information but to me it doesn't seem possible to turn the interactive area into an actual queue. The way it's currently set up you meander through with no real direction. I don't see how they could add stanchions and ropes to keep order in there. Making that area a mandatory part of the line would cause for some serious confusion and frustration as some people might see others as jumping the line.

  12. #27

    • враг народа
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Posts
    14,040
    Blog Entries
    3

    Re: WDW Interactive Queue Lines - What's the goal here?

    Quote Originally Posted by DisneySam View Post
    You may have some insider information but to me it doesn't seem possible to turn the interactive area into an actual queue. The way it's currently set up you meander through with no real direction. I don't see how they could add stanchions and ropes to keep order in there. Making that area a mandatory part of the line would cause for some serious confusion and frustration as some people might see others as jumping the line.
    No insider information needed. It is exactly what has happened when FastPass+ has been tested. The queue is a solution for the problems that FastPass caused at The Haunted Mansion when it was first tried.

  13. #28

    • Minion
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Paper St
    Posts
    1,346

    Re: WDW Interactive Queue Lines - What's the goal here?

    Quote Originally Posted by DisneyIPresume View Post
    Not trying to debate, just something I noticed.

    Don't take it too personal. That's why I put this there -
    guess I got a little taken aback because I use my s to be snarky hehehe

  14. #29

    • Member
    • Offline

    Join Date
    May 2012
    Posts
    128

    Re: WDW Interactive Queue Lines - What's the goal here?

    Quote Originally Posted by brianpinsky View Post
    Im so glad we don't do this at Disneyland. We are to busy to focus on updating lines than building real attractions. I think the bottom line would come down to be all the enhanced queues vs. one or two new attractions? Was it worth it considering that Universial is building and rebuilding everything and the kitchen sink?
    Disneyland doesn't have the room to add interactive queues to most of their rides. I would think that is the main reason it hasn't been done there. I'm confused by your use of the pronoun "we"...are you an Imagineer?

    This isn't new for Disney - they have always integrated some storytelling into the queues. Did anyone complain that they spent time and money on jokey tombstones in the line for Haunted Mansion? Or on the theater that shows old movie trailers in the line for The Great Movie Ride? Or the little projections of critters in the line for Splash Mountain? The "interactive" elements are just taking advantage of technology that is newly available and much cheaper to utilize now than in the past.

    I also think a lot of this is inspired by the Forbidden Journey queue experience at Universal. Talk about an expensive queue! The experience of walking through Hogwarts and seeing the living portraits, Dumbledore, Harry, Ron and Hermione, the Sorting Hat, etc. is as much of an attraction as the ride itself. None of Disney's efforts have been as incredible as the Harry Potter queue, but I think it's pretty clear they are trying to replicate the idea that the "line" is actually part of the attraction. I think it's great. I envy kids nowadays! Waiting in line was so boring when I was young!!

  15. #30

    • New Member
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Posts
    6

    Re: WDW Interactive Queue Lines - What's the goal here?

    Not too sure about some of the rides in WDW. I DO have an opinion about the queue lines for some of the rides here in Disneyland. For example; Indiana Jones has one of the best interactive lines for any ride I've ever had to wait for. Sometimes it's fun to watch new riders experience the events, as I have when others set them off. Unfortunately, most of them get ran by now. Sure the interactive parts outside are still fun to watch, but the last few years I've been, I found that the cast member would rather have you wait outside, then allow 10 to 20 new riders run through, missing the interactive parts. I can still remember the first time someone wiggled that spiked skull. As soon as the spikes came out of the ceiling and the roof started to drop, it was like I was going to get crushed myself. And what about the guy hanging on that rope? Always fun to see how many phrases the guy has before he looses his balance and drops. BTW, how many of you found the hidden mickey on the top of the lid?

    Another interactive line I've always enjoyed was in Roger Rabbit. Of course most of it will not make a lick of sense if you've never even seen the movie. I'm actually surprised Disney got permissions for this considering how many non-Disney charactors are in it. The problem though is once I was there when it was raining, and the cast members line up in a different queue outside, in the rain! Maybe this was a ploy to by a $10 piece of plastic to stay dry with? I don't know. I would have much rather waited in the interactive part of the line.

    Remember when space mountain (pre-refurb) had exciting things to experience? There used to be a time you could actually look into the space sphere to see the coaster ride inside. Seeing the experience before actually getting on the ride just added to the excitement once you actuall got on it.

    At least other active queues like Buzz Lightyear still exists. The point is, so many of these rides originally had tons of money spent on them to be created, just to allow them to sit on the weighside and not be seen, or experienced. What's going to eventually happen to the other interactive queue lines that don't even have a ride attached, like the Robinson Family/ Tarzan treehouse? All I know is I thouroly (sp) enjoy the interactive queue lines. I miss them, and they're not even gone yet!

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 3
    Last Post: 08-15-2005, 07:46 AM
  2. What does the future hold for WDW?
    By dramaqueen in forum Walt Disney World Resort
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 05-03-2005, 09:30 PM
  3. Wdw What Does The Average Family/person Spend?
    By Alchimedes in forum Walt Disney World Resort
    Replies: 27
    Last Post: 03-16-2005, 09:44 PM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •