Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Re: WDW Interactive Queue Lines - What's the goal here?

[,
    and don't even get me started on the first leg of the Space Mountain queue.

I never knew there could be so many uses of a roof!
    Last edited by SpinWizzard; 03-30-2013 at 02:44 PM. Reason: whole quote in error

• Coming soon...

I for one would rather see people passing time in the queues interacting with the park in some form rather than on their phones.

•   
    • Circle of Ancients

As painful as it is for me to say this, at this point, any money going to make a queue interactive in Florida should just go to enclosing and air conditioning the queue. Forget the interactive crap. Give us a decently (not even highly, just decently) themed queue that we can take our food and drinks inside, with AC, fast wifi, drinking fountains and benches, and I think most of us will be fine.

I'm not against interactive queues, but come on, there are priorities. And if the focus is making the waiting in line experience better, this is the best you can get.

By the way, the focus shouldn't be this, it should be building new attractions that increase the capacity of the park so the lines will be shorter everywhere. But I'm just too old school I guess.
    -Bill

It's about making the lemmings not see the cliff.

It's about making investors and guests feel there's "added value" when there is none.

Why did Oz create all that fire and spectacle? Because behind the curtain it was all a sham.

The enhanced queues do nothing to actually make the experience better, they just present that illusion.

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by EC82 View Post
    It's about making the lemmings not see the cliff.

It's about making investors and guests feel there's "added value" when there is none.

Why did Oz create all that fire and spectacle? Because behind the curtain it was all a sham.

The enhanced queues do nothing to actually make the experience better, they just present that illusion.
    whether an experience is 'better' or not is entirely up to opinion. Just because you personally feel the interactive queues aren't more entertaining does not mean that they are just Oz behind a curtain with a bunch of fire and spectacle. I for one think that some queues (Space Mountain in particular) are very entertaining--they're not the best thing ever but they definitely speed up the perceived wait time in that line.

•   
    • Circle of Ancients

Quote Originally Posted by TylerDurden View Post
    whether an experience is 'better' or not is entirely up to opinion. Just because you personally feel the interactive queues aren't more entertaining does not mean that they are just Oz behind a curtain with a bunch of fire and spectacle. I for one think that some queues (Space Mountain in particular) are very entertaining--they're not the best thing ever but they definitely speed up the perceived wait time in that line.
    Not the point... if I gave you a downloadable app of the same Space Mountain multi-player game in the queue, and just installed an excellent wi-fi network, (This is cheaper, FYI, than what they did) wouldn't you rather have that?

I'm not saying the games aren't fun... they are. I don't think any of us are bashing the new queues because of how fun they are... it's about spending the money in the right places.
    -Bill

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by Bill View Post
    Not the point... if I gave you a downloadable app of the same Space Mountain multi-player game in the queue, and just installed an excellent wi-fi network, (This is cheaper, FYI, than what they did) wouldn't you rather have that?

I'm not saying the games aren't fun... they are. I don't think any of us are bashing the new queues because of how fun they are... it's about spending the money in the right places.
    no, that would not be better. You're excluding people without smart phones, without the knowledge of such an app, and most importantly children who don't own phones who benefit from this game the most.

•   
    • Circle of Ancients

Quote Originally Posted by TylerDurden View Post
    no, that would not be better. You're excluding people without smart phones, without the knowledge of such an app, and most importantly children who don't own phones who benefit from this game the most.
    That population is extremely small these days... and most kids have an iPod touch or access to their parent's iPad or iPhone. Plus, you just put the signs in the queue advertising the app.

Don't have a smart phone? Look at the detail in the themed queue instead.
    -Bill

• Minion

That population is extremely small these days... and most kids have an iPod touch or access to their parent's iPad or iPhone. Plus, you just put the signs in the queue advertising the app.

Don't have a smart phone? Look at the detail in the themed queue instead.
    In a business as large as Disney you can't make those assumptions. And no matter how small the number is you cannot discriminate against them. Not to mention my kids all have smart phones, that doesn't mean they're going to waste data for an app that's only useful in the park, and more importantly my kids don't have access to my passwords so downloadable content is out of their reach.

Youre making too many generalizations.

•   
    • Circle of Ancients

First, I'm not making any generalizations, these are all based on real trends and numbers.

As far as the number being small... You don't understand how economics works. Disney CAN and DOES discriminate against certain populations in the parks... Disney favors the guests with the biggest wallets. It's a business. And it just so happens that the guests that have the biggest wallets also have smartphones.

Anyway...

The app is just a game... it's useful everywhere. Since the game would be themed (in this case, to Space Mountain), there would be signs to download it while waiting in line at Space Mountain. Plus there would be free fast wifi in that area... so no data use.

And if you're with them, no reason why you wouldn't be able to type in the password for them to use. If you're not... well, it's quite easy for them to download a free app even without your password. They'd just make their own ID.

But this is all besides the point.

You really think that Disney should spend more money on costly interactive game installations in queues than spend money on new rides? You actually think that? Seriously? I find that hard to believe.

Oh, and if you're still not convinced... Universal just rolled out an app to use in the parks that is basically a photo and enhanced reality game. Yup. Just FYI.
    -Bill

• Minion

First, I'm not making any generalizations, these are all based on real trends and numbers.

As far as the number being small... You don't understand how economics works. Disney CAN and DOES discriminate against certain populations in the parks... Disney favors the guests with the biggest wallets. It's a business. And it just so happens that the guests that have the biggest wallets also have smartphones.

Anyway...

The app is just a game... it's useful everywhere. Since the game would be themed (in this case, to Space Mountain), there would be signs to download it while waiting in line at Space Mountain. Plus there would be free fast wifi in that area... so no data use.

And if you're with them, no reason why you wouldn't be able to type in the password for them to use. If you're not... well, it's quite easy for them to download a free app even without your password. They'd just make their own ID.

But this is all besides the point.

You really think that Disney should spend more money on costly interactive game installations in queues than spend money on new rides? You actually think that? Seriously? I find that hard to believe.

Oh, and if you're still not convinced... Universal just rolled out an app to use in the parks that is basically a photo and enhanced reality game. Yup. Just FYI.
    Ok, first of all, there's a difference between Disney offering more expensive items to wealthier guests and offering them the difference between an extremely boring wait time and one that can be slightly more entertaining from the second they step in the park depending on whether they have a certain type of phone. So, no, that has nothing to do with economics, offering certain benefits to a group of people with a certain device is not a business model like charging extra for better opportunities--now if they sold smart phones equipped with such apps in the park we could talk...

Second, a lot of games are themed to a lot of different things--if Disney's going to encourage people to buy apps to be used anywhere, then why can't I just use my smart phone to play any kinds of apps in line? Because that's not how theme parks work. I don't know your family situation but I like when mine is all together talking and spending time with each other face to face, not looking at each other's Iphone screens. That's annoying, especially on a vacation (or day trip to the parks). The way the queue lines are set up now (save for maybe Dumbo) allows for us as a family not only to ditch those friggen phones but also actually experience the theme park we paid to experience (sorry, being glued to my Iphone is not my idea of a fun day at a theme park, if I can play a Space Mountain app at home then what's the point?). Not to mention something like that would drain your battery.

Also, you don't know how Apple ID's work because that's not the case, even if it's free you need a password to download apps and to set up an account you need a credit card which my younger kids do not have.

Now, of course I'm all for Disney adding more rides, but that's not the situation they're trying to combat here. They're fighting the war against long lines. Adding attractions would only further this problem. I love new attractions but if Disney has this clear goal to increase the satisfaction of guests waiting in lines then adding attractions isn't the way to go right now. Any time you add a new ride, crowds increase for the first year of operation in all areas of the park--they should have the infrastructure ready to handle such crowds before that happens. Henceforth, yes right now the focus should be on interactive queues. Then when lines become more manageable to wait in, they can add whatever they want and the consequences of increased crowds won't be so dreadful.

Oh, and I know about the Universal deal...they also happen to have way shorter lines and Harry Potter and the Forbidden Journey has one of the most immersive and extensive queues in theme park history despite the presence of a silly mobile game...Yup. Just FYI.

So if you're still not convinced let's recap. Interactive queues allow are available to everyone, not just people with a certain type of phone. They allow people to get immersed in the theme park they paid for, not their phones that they can use anytime; this in effect increases the family dynamic of a family vacation and saves battery life because phones are pretty important to keep charged in a theme park in case you get separated from someone, etc. Also, interactive queues will increase the overall satisfaction of waiting in lines, which has become a huge and unavoidable problem that cannot be solved (in fact only worsened) by adding attractions at this time. And to make the Universal comparison is silly.

Last I checked, the Magic Kingdom has hit capacity more than once this year. Wait times are a big problem. Disney can counter with higher ticket prices to decrease demand, but there are other things they can do to help people have fun while stuck in lines that last an hour because the park is at capacity. Short of higher prices, I'm all for new rides AND enhancing the lines...it's a smart use of space. Don't understand why people think it has to be one or the other. Bring on the new Peter Pan queue -- am I supposed to complain because the Park is now more fun?

And when Star Wars opens in DHS, that park is going to see attendance skyrocket, and probably the entire resort. They're having 155 minute waits for Toy Story Midway Mania right now. adding Star Wars isn't going to dilute the pool of guests, it's going to sharply increase. While Star Wars is still in planning, it's smart of Disney to nuance their existing attractions now. I'm really quite surprised anyone would complain about plussing the lines.

• Minion

^new rides AND lines, of course would be ideal. But TDO isn't really a huge advocator of spending lots of money, so considering their budget it pretty much is one or the other. They can build as many attractions as they want AFTER they fix the boring queue problem. I think it's a great effort on their part and unprecedented in the industry.

•   
    • Banned User

Wow, this is a bit of heated debate in some spots. I'm personally for interactive queues in as many places as possible. It passes the time and plusses the park. I almost fear saying that given some of the feedback already mentioned here but the fact of the matter is lines are boring and quite often consume more of your time than the attraction itself. Ever since the Indy ride at DL I was sold on how cool it was to make a themed line. It was one of those little details that set Disney apart from everyone else who still maintained switchbacks of metal chains and nothing more.

I will sympathize with the poster who said he'd prefer that WDW include coverings or better yet being enclosed with A/C. I totally get that.

In addition to interactive lines meant to keep your mind off the wait, I'd love to see most line queues replace their concrete with whatever that spongy stuff is that you find around water attractions. I'm sure it's in many DL locations too but the only one that comes to mind is in DL's Tomorrowland where the rolling water-supported boulder is near Captain EO. I spend more of my time waiting than I do walking or riding. Let's make that time worth it.

Themed queues- absolutely. Love the Indy queue.

Things that make noise- not so much.

Not sure how one would do a good interactive queue: either you make something that people will stay, and monopolize while everybody else only gets to watch;
    or you make something that has a very short time period so people "finish" it and move on, but something short is potentially boring if you get there for longer than its time frame;
    or you make something interesting, but then people may not get to finish its thing.

I saw a video of the Haunted Mansion one, and I'm unimpressed. The "poet" thing is obnoxious, noisy, and at the intellectual level of a 4 year old. The captain's bathtub tomb looks like there's something wrong that it leaks. The bookcase one looks like it might be interesting, though it puts the guest at making a choice to spend the time it requires, and delaying your ride, or moving on before you're "done." Can't remember what else the queue has but in the video it was overall noisy and kind of annoying. Something I'd have to see once, to see what it's about, but then to avoid like the plague.
    I pledge allegiance to the Earth, one planet, many gods, and to the universe in which she spins.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast