Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Results 46 to 60 of 62
  1. #46

    •   
    • Circle of Ancients
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Posts
    1,642

    Re: WDW Interactive Queue Lines - What's the goal here?

    Quote Originally Posted by TylerDurden View Post
    Ok, first of all, there's a difference between Disney offering more expensive items to wealthier guests and offering them the difference between an extremely boring wait time and one that can be slightly more entertaining from the second they step in the park depending on whether they have a certain type of phone. So, no, that has nothing to do with economics, offering certain benefits to a group of people with a certain device is not a business model like charging extra for better opportunities--now if they sold smart phones equipped with such apps in the park we could talk...

    Second, a lot of games are themed to a lot of different things--if Disney's going to encourage people to buy apps to be used anywhere, then why can't I just use my smart phone to play any kinds of apps in line? Because that's not how theme parks work. I don't know your family situation but I like when mine is all together talking and spending time with each other face to face, not looking at each other's Iphone screens. That's annoying, especially on a vacation (or day trip to the parks). The way the queue lines are set up now (save for maybe Dumbo) allows for us as a family not only to ditch those friggen phones but also actually experience the theme park we paid to experience (sorry, being glued to my Iphone is not my idea of a fun day at a theme park, if I can play a Space Mountain app at home then what's the point?). Not to mention something like that would drain your battery.

    Also, you don't know how Apple ID's work because that's not the case, even if it's free you need a password to download apps and to set up an account you need a credit card which my younger kids do not have.

    Now, of course I'm all for Disney adding more rides, but that's not the situation they're trying to combat here. They're fighting the war against long lines. Adding attractions would only further this problem. I love new attractions but if Disney has this clear goal to increase the satisfaction of guests waiting in lines then adding attractions isn't the way to go right now. Any time you add a new ride, crowds increase for the first year of operation in all areas of the park--they should have the infrastructure ready to handle such crowds before that happens. Henceforth, yes right now the focus should be on interactive queues. Then when lines become more manageable to wait in, they can add whatever they want and the consequences of increased crowds won't be so dreadful.

    Oh, and I know about the Universal deal...they also happen to have way shorter lines and Harry Potter and the Forbidden Journey has one of the most immersive and extensive queues in theme park history despite the presence of a silly mobile game...Yup. Just FYI.

    So if you're still not convinced let's recap. Interactive queues allow are available to everyone, not just people with a certain type of phone. They allow people to get immersed in the theme park they paid for, not their phones that they can use anytime; this in effect increases the family dynamic of a family vacation and saves battery life because phones are pretty important to keep charged in a theme park in case you get separated from someone, etc. Also, interactive queues will increase the overall satisfaction of waiting in lines, which has become a huge and unavoidable problem that cannot be solved (in fact only worsened) by adding attractions at this time. And to make the Universal comparison is silly.
    Okay, where to begin...

    First, we're talking about interactive queues... like games in queues.

    And this is interactive queues vs. new rides. It's not both because Disney isn't going to pay for both. I'd be okay if you created new rides with interactive and immersive queues, and if you turned all the other queues and made them immersive and interactive and enclosed them and added fast wifi and allowed you to take in food and had benches in line and had drinking fountains. But that doesn't seem all that plausible, does it?

    I'm glad that you're for new rides, but you also should understand that when you build new rides, they add capacity. A heck of a lot of capacity. Believe it or not, the Magic Kingdom is less crowded now even though there are more people visiting... and that's thanks to New Fantasyland actually adding capacity to the park. Not because of the new interactive queues. However, New Fantasyland has a host of issues on its own.

    Which brings me to the next point... Interactive queues are not always immersive. If you think that the Space Mountain Games constitute immersive theming, then the bar has fallen to a very low level. At least Big Thunder Mountain's new queue is immersive.

    Most good queues aren't interactive... Wizarding World of Harry Potter has no interactive queues at all. In fact, I don't think most parks have interactive queues in their highest themed rides because if they're not done right, they detract from the show quality.

    And if you think Universal's lines are shorter than Disney's, well, not so much. They're just as long. But Universal is building new attractions and even lands that have nice and immersive themed queues and they also have a free cool mobile game and they are rolling out wifi in the park soon. I don't know why you believe a comparison to Universal is silly, but it's not.

    Apple IDs are easy to create, you don't need a credit card to create one. And even if you did, I'm willing to bet your kids are smart enough that they know how to take a picture of your credit card the next time you pay for dinner. Seriously, if you're thinking you can outsmart your own children with technology, you're a pretty out-of-touch parent.

    And seriously, battery life? You're taking that argument? They sell battery packs for a reason my friend. And if you bring your charger to the park, they even have charging stations in the Magic Kingdom now, and more are on the way. Just FYI. Plus, this is something that will get better over time anyway.

    Not to mention, everyone who wants one will have a smartphone later on too. That's just a fact of life.

    And one last thing, and this will probably hit close to home, so please, I'm not trying to offend you, I'm simply trying to have a healthy debate.

    Your family dynamic that you speak of doesn't exist for an entire family's vacation in any theme park I've seen. Sure, it exists for a while, but when you force your kids to talk to you and have "quality family time" for a week long vacation, it gets extremely stressful at some point, especially if you have teenage girls. Wifi and apps will help ease those situations, providing a doorway to the rest of the world. I'd also argue that interactive games in the Space Mountain Queue really don't bring a family together. It's just a bunch of giant multiplayer games. So, to recap, I love the way you're thinking on keeping families together on vacation, but I really don't think that's sustainable.

    Also, an Air Conditioned family will keep a family much happier as well.
    -Bill

  2. #47

    • Minion
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Paper St
    Posts
    1,346

    Re: WDW Interactive Queue Lines - What's the goal here?

    ^wait a second...I get it.

    It's an April Fool's Joke. Bravo, Bill

    Honestly we are pretty out of touch with our points here to the point that I don't think we are talking about the same thing...and yeah I have a teenage daughter, she uses her phone alright, but not for Disney apps lol.

    And I understand the difference between interaction and immersion--but that's the thing. The queues aren't immersive. Might as well give people something to do since there's nothing to look at. Haunted Mansion, Pooh, Space Mountain, Big Thunder, all had very boring queues. Disney fixed it. Not sure what you're getting at.

    And I'm not going to buy a battery pack in the park--waste.

    And as a matter of fact, Universal does have shorter waits than Disney, this is not an opinion. Those parks don't even hold as many people and yet have comparable amounts of attractions so simple math dictates that the lines there won't be as long but I've seen it for myself that Disney is much more of a beast in the lines department as Universal.

    Other than that I don't know how to address your post. Maybe it's just me but most of what you're saying doesn't make any sense, and I feel like your argument consists of minor exceptions to generally-regarded notions.
    Last edited by TylerDurden; 04-01-2013 at 06:24 PM.

  3. #48

    • Member
    • Offline

    Join Date
    May 2010
    Posts
    143

    Re: WDW Interactive Queue Lines - What's the goal here?

    "Believe it or not, the Magic Kingdom is less crowded now even though there are more people visiting... and that's thanks to New Fantasyland actually adding capacity to the park."

    If that's true, then why have had they had to close the Magic Kingdom several times recently due to the park hitting max capacity? I've seen that happen at Disneyland, though it's rare. I've never heard of the company having to close the Magic Kingdom in Orlando, until just recently.

    Adding new attractions pull even MORE people to the parks, because there's something new to see. Just wait until they get that Snow White coaster up and running.

  4. #49

    • Marching along
    • Offline

    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Clearwater, FL
    Posts
    203

    Re: WDW Interactive Queue Lines - What's the goal here?

    Quote Originally Posted by BuckyRister View Post
    "Believe it or not, the Magic Kingdom is less crowded now even though there are more people visiting... and that's thanks to New Fantasyland actually adding capacity to the park."

    If that's true, then why have had they had to close the Magic Kingdom several times recently due to the park hitting max capacity? I've seen that happen at Disneyland, though it's rare. I've never heard of the company having to close the Magic Kingdom in Orlando, until just recently.

    Adding new attractions pull even MORE people to the parks, because there's something new to see. Just wait until they get that Snow White coaster up and running.
    I disagree. I don't think adding new attractions has to result in more attendance or more crowding, if those attractions are built and managed properly with an eye on whole-park dynamics.

    Little Mermaid is good for capacity because it's basically an omnimover. It would be better for capacity if it didn't have Fastpass. The best rides to improve capacity would be huge, immersive and immensely popular omnimovers because they would work together to alleviate overcrowding throuout the park in question. Wait, that sounds a bit like classic EPCOT to me.

    Going a step further, I think creating a new land with only one or two attractions is a missed opportunity. Expanding Fantasyland by adding a major ride plus several classic C-Ticket dark rides (Toad! Alice! Pinocchio! or even "new" rides done in a classic style) would have helped capacity immensely, reduced crowding even further, and allowed more guests to experience even more attractions in a given day. That scenario would lead to dramatically improved guest satisfaction and lower stress levels, i.e. true Disney "magic."

    A new attraction does have to be a quality attraction, but it doesn't always have to be an E-ticket-- if it's designed and constructed not in a void, but wholistically as part of the park's "ecosystem" of attractions.

  5. #50

    • Member
    • Offline

    Join Date
    May 2010
    Posts
    143

    Re: WDW Interactive Queue Lines - What's the goal here?

    You guys are assuming theme park attendance is a fixed sum, so adding attractions spreads that sum across more attractions. They're called "attractions" for a reason. They attract people. Even with New Fantasyland, the Magic Kingdom has had to turn people away due to capacity issues just recently. Not a theory, fact.

    To get back on topic, I can't believe people are complaining that Disney's plussing their lines. There are some very strange assumptions going on here, that spending some money to make the wait times more enjoyable means money subtracted from possible new attractions. That's not how it works. The floodgates are about to open on Star Wars, but those rides aren't going to happen now because they just built a new line for Peter Pan?
    Last edited by BuckyRister; 04-02-2013 at 04:52 AM.

  6. #51

    • Minion
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Paper St
    Posts
    1,346

    Re: WDW Interactive Queue Lines - What's the goal here?

    ^Bingo

  7. #52

    •   
    • Circle of Ancients
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Posts
    1,642

    Re: WDW Interactive Queue Lines - What's the goal here?

    Quote Originally Posted by BuckyRister View Post
    You guys are assuming theme park attendance is a fixed sum, so adding attractions spreads that sum across more attractions.
    Well, long term sure, but from one year to the next? It kind of is actually. New Fantasyland hasn't really attracted a whole lot of new visitors. Magic Kingdom attendance was flat... can't speak for this year though, that data hasn't come out yet.
    Quote Originally Posted by BuckyRister View Post
    They're called "attractions" for a reason. They attract people.
    But they don't attract new people to the park if they're mediocre, they just distribute the people in the park differently, which is what New Fantasyland is doing. Besides that point, if Disney actually built a true attraction that brought more people to the park, then that's probably a better use of money than to build a new outdoor interactive queue for Winnie the Pooh. Yeah, it helped the experience of Pooh, but if you're going to spend that money, then do it right, and spend it on something that will actually attract people. (Or at least enclose the queue and provide AC. Ever been to Pooh in Tokyo?
    Quote Originally Posted by BuckyRister View Post
    Even with New Fantasyland, the Magic Kingdom has had to turn people away due to capacity issues just recently. Not a theory, fact.
    Yes, that's because New Fantasyland isn't enough of an expansion. The Magic Kingdom is still severely lacking in capacity. The fact that they turned away people still has nothing to do with New Fantasyland and everything to do with the same attendance patterns that existed for years and years over holidays and spring break.
    Quote Originally Posted by BuckyRister View Post
    To get back on topic, I can't believe people are complaining that Disney's plussing their lines.
    We wouldn't be complaining if they were plussing the lines in the ways that matter first. But they're ignoring the main problem and creating new ideas for queues that sometimes don't fit the quality of theming we expect from Disney.
    Quote Originally Posted by BuckyRister View Post
    There are some very strange assumptions going on here, that spending some money to make the wait times more enjoyable means money subtracted from possible new attractions.
    It's not an assumption, it's the way it actually works at Disney.
    Quote Originally Posted by BuckyRister View Post
    That's not how it works.
    Umm, yeah, it is. Ask Jay Rasulo. It all comes out of the same budget eventually. Someone needs to teach you financial accounting.
    Quote Originally Posted by BuckyRister View Post
    The floodgates are about to open on Star Wars, but those rides aren't going to happen now because they just built a new line for Peter Pan?
    First, we're not ditching the new queue for Peter Pan. Word on the street is that the new queue will be enclosed. Good. AC. That's what we need.

    As far as Star Wars not happening because of that new queue... well, no, that has to happen because Bob just spent 4 billion dollars to buy the company and needs to get an ROI ASAP. But that Beauty and the Beast Dark Ride? We'll never see that ride because the money went to an overly themed queue for The Abbreviated Mermaid Story and Belle's 30min Day Care Experience.

    So, I ask you, is it really worth it? I'd love to have both. But the numbers guys won't let you. So pick and choose what is more important to you.
    -Bill

  8. #53

    • Member
    • Offline

    Join Date
    May 2010
    Posts
    143

    Re: WDW Interactive Queue Lines - What's the goal here?

    It all comes out of the same budget eventually. Someone needs to teach you financial accounting.
    Bill, if they need more money for a project, they increase the budget. The budget isn't flat every year. It depends on what they have cooking. See California Adventure. A park saved from low capacity issues by building attractions people wanted to see. Now California Adventure is rivaling Disneyland for attendance. They didn't build new rides in California Adventure only to see the place suffer the same flat attendance. Attendance inceased. And they didn't build the new attractions using only the previous year's budget. They spent more. I need to learn accounting? You need to learn manners.

  9. #54

    • Minion
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Paper St
    Posts
    1,346

    Re: WDW Interactive Queue Lines - What's the goal here?

    Bill, your whole argument at New Fantasyland contradicts everything you've been talking about through the rest of this thread.

    Everyone loves new rides. No doubt. But everyone also hates long lines. Most people at WDW are tourists...fact. Most tourists are satisfied with the current offerings because, going only once every so often, everything is still fresh to them. HOWEVER, lines will ALWAYS be a pain in the butt no matter what.

    Disney can build new attractions but that doesn't solve the lines problem, it worsens it. I'd personally rather have Disney build the infrastructure to handle the crowds that a new ride would cause before adding one in. And by infrastructure I mean things to make the crowds manageable--aka, making queue lines more bearable. And how do you go about doing that? NextGen.

  10. #55

    •   
    • Circle of Ancients
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Posts
    1,642

    Re: WDW Interactive Queue Lines - What's the goal here?

    Quote Originally Posted by BuckyRister View Post
    Bill, if they need more money for a project, they increase the budget. The budget isn't flat every year. It depends on what they have cooking. See California Adventure. A park saved from low capacity issues by building attractions people wanted to see. Now California Adventure is rivaling Disneyland for attendance. They didn't build new rides in California Adventure only to see the place suffer the same flat attendance. Attendance inceased. And they didn't build the new attractions using only the previous year's budget. They spent more. I need to learn accounting? You need to learn manners.
    They also didn't waste money by building insane wacko interactive queues. They put the money where it actually needed to go... into new rides and themeing. And manners? I'll point you in the direction of Penn & Teller's Bull**** episode on manners. I'm not being mean to you, and at the same time I'm not going to sugarcoat everything. You can't increase the budget to an infinite amount. (Unless you're the US Govt., ha ha ha... eh) Eventually there is a tipping point. I'm not saying that the budget is the same every year. I'm saying like any good company, you need to put the money in the right places. That's really all I'm saying in this entire thread. Put the money where it will make the most difference. Interactive games in queues don't make much difference. No one comes to a park to see an interactive game in a queue, especially for a ride that already exists.

    *As a side note, if I offended you, I'm sorry. This is a heated debate... nothing is personal.
    -Bill

  11. #56

    • Minion
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Paper St
    Posts
    1,346

    Re: WDW Interactive Queue Lines - What's the goal here?

    Quote Originally Posted by Bill View Post
    They also didn't waste money by building insane wacko interactive queues. They put the money where it actually needed to go... into new rides and themeing. And manners? I'll point you in the direction of Penn & Teller's Bull**** episode on manners. I'm not being mean to you, and at the same time I'm not going to sugarcoat everything. You can't increase the budget to an infinite amount. (Unless you're the US Govt., ha ha ha... eh) Eventually there is a tipping point. I'm not saying that the budget is the same every year. I'm saying like any good company, you need to put the money in the right places. That's really all I'm saying in this entire thread. Put the money where it will make the most difference. Interactive games in queues don't make much difference. No one comes to a park to see an interactive game in a queue, especially for a ride that already exists.

    *As a side note, if I offended you, I'm sorry. This is a heated debate... nothing is personal.
    They didn't spend money on queues at DCA because it was underperforming. Magic Kingdom is the #1 tourist destination in the world--they don't need to attract more people with rides, they need to satisfy the millions that are there with new enhancements (versus additions).

  12. #57

    • Member
    • Offline

    Join Date
    May 2010
    Posts
    143

    Re: WDW Interactive Queue Lines - What's the goal here?

    I remember seeing the Temple of the Forbidden Eye inside queue for the first time, and I thought it was a stroke of genius, especially the little cards they handed out so you could decipher the words on the walls as you wound through the temple, and the booby traps, and other little things. That's awesome. Or the caged spiders in the line for the Jungle Cruise at WDW. Or the cursed apple in the line for Snow White at Disneyland. I just can't understand why anyone thinks enhancements like that are a bad thing. More, please!

    *As a side note, if I offended you, I'm sorry. This is a heated debate... nothing is personal.
    I don't get why this is a heated debate in the first place. It's all good for me.

  13. #58

    •   
    • Circle of Ancients
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Posts
    1,642

    Re: WDW Interactive Queue Lines - What's the goal here?

    Quote Originally Posted by BuckyRister View Post
    I remember seeing the Temple of the Forbidden Eye inside queue for the first time, and I thought it was a stroke of genius, especially the little cards they handed out so you could decipher the words on the walls as you wound through the temple, and the booby traps, and other little things. That's awesome. Or the caged spiders in the line for the Jungle Cruise at WDW. Or the cursed apple in the line for Snow White at Disneyland. I just can't understand why anyone thinks enhancements like that are a bad thing. More, please!
    That's the thing... I LOVE things like that. But that's not what Disney is doing. (Except at Big Thunder Mt. RR) If Disney was doing that everywhere, I'd have no problem with it. (Though I'd still want fast wifi and AC)

    So, what is the problem? Well, for example, the game in Space Mountain's queue is not of the same quality and theming. Dumbo's queue is a kid's playground. And don't get me started on over-theming a queue for a lackluster attraction (Belle's 30min Day Care). And if Disney is going to push that level to us everywhere, the money could be better spent elsewhere... like on new rides.
    -Bill

  14. #59

    •   
    • Circle of Ancients
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Posts
    1,642

    Re: WDW Interactive Queue Lines - What's the goal here?

    Quote Originally Posted by TylerDurden View Post
    They didn't spend money on queues at DCA because it was underperforming. Magic Kingdom is the #1 tourist destination in the world--they don't need to attract more people with rides, they need to satisfy the millions that are there with new enhancements (versus additions).
    No, they need to get the wait times down by adding capacity to the park. Making a fun line is not as fun as having a shorter line. It's just a band-aid solution.
    -Bill

  15. #60

    • Minion
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Paper St
    Posts
    1,346

    Re: WDW Interactive Queue Lines - What's the goal here?

    delete

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 3
    Last Post: 08-15-2005, 07:46 AM
  2. What does the future hold for WDW?
    By dramaqueen in forum Walt Disney World Resort
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 05-03-2005, 09:30 PM
  3. Wdw What Does The Average Family/person Spend?
    By Alchimedes in forum Walt Disney World Resort
    Replies: 27
    Last Post: 03-16-2005, 09:44 PM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •