Page 1 of 5 1234 ... LastLast

WDW Interactive Queue Lines - What's the goal here?

On one hand I'm impressed with the improvements they've made to certain WDW attraction queue lines. The Haunted Mansion line is pretty cool and helps set the tone for the adventure ahead without spoiling too much of the fun. And, if you are a Mansion purist, you can simply bypass the interactive elements and move along without participating in them. While I haven't seen the improvements to Big Thunder Mountain Railroad's line for myself, from what I've seen on the message boards I think that they went overboard (...really the mine owner's last name is Bullion????).

The Little Mermaid queue jumps the shark (no pun intended) in that the crabs are cute at first but get repetitive and then, ultimately, annoying after you see them like 25 times. It's almost as annoying as having to wait 60 minutes for this C-ticket experience in E-ticket's clothing. I'm not really sure what the Space Mountain queue is trying to accomplish, and I've never really had a wait or been tempted to explore them but at first glance it seems as lame as the attempt at incorporating audio into the attraction. I know Pooh and Soarin' are "interactive" as is Dumbo and now here comes a PotC interactive queue as well. I guess these efforts by Imagineering could be viewed as "plussing the show" such that they are improving the ride infrastructure if not the ride itself and I guess that's OK but where is all of this going to end and is it really even necessary??

New ride construction aside, instead of spending what is probably $2,500,000 + per queue to design, build and install these elements why are they not focusing on adding new park attractions instead. Is the My Magic + expected to really book attractions such that the wait is so intolerable that Disney feels these interactive elements must be installed to pacify guests? Or, is this just another ego trip on behalf of certain management and Imagineers that think what quests want is interactive games and experiences (cheap fun house stuff). Quite honestly, I think these elements tend to bottle neck the ride line as opposed to keeping the line flowing - it seems counter productive to me to install these. Just like the restaurant menus in the theme parks are kept to limited choices in order to turn the tables over it would seem the ride lines should use these interactive elements in a scarce fashion as well.

Ultimately, what's Disney's end game with this? Can I expect to find an interactive queue for the Jungle Cruise, Hall of Presidents and Stitch's Encounter? If not, then there is inconsistency? Meanwhile, up the road, construction is progressing simultaneously in one park on three significant enhancements - short term Transformers and Simpsons offerings and only a year or so out the more incredible Potter expansion. What is Disney thinking? People don't come to theme parks to see the lines they come to ride the rides - honestly who is running Disney these days?

What are your thoughts on these lines? What's the official reason?

• Minion

Re: WDW Interactive Queue Lines - What's the goal here?

many believe its because My Magic is going to increase wait times and in tune these new queues stimulate people to a degree making them think less about how long they are waiting for attractions and leading to a happier customer who is receiving less overall product. while i enjoy the fact that they are investing in guest experience and stepping things up in that regard, its almost a cheaper cop out when you think of their actions cynically to avoid simply creating new/better/more attractions.

• New Member Goes Forth

Personally, the money invested into the interactive queues should go for the new attactions
    The new Star Wars plot summery:

Episode 7: Luke discovers that Darth Vader is not his father, and goes on a search for his real father

Episode 8: Darth Vader is resurrected and goes on Jerry Springer, claiming he is Luke and Leia's father

Episode 9: Princes Leia is not Luke's sister, making him furious (we all know why...).

I think it's all about enhancing guest experience. What's the harm? I think even if you took the entire budget for all of the interactive elements in the current queues together you wouldn't have enough to even start development on a brand new attraction.

• Minion

It's a reflection of the nature of a Disney World vacation. No matter what time of year, it's always crowded now. It's the number 1 tourist destination on the planet, and Disney has to now come up with ways to deal with crowds rather than combatting them (because it's hopeless, people love Disney World!)

The fact is you spend more time waiting in line than riding rides at any theme park, but this is especially the case at WDW. Instead of ignoring this and chalking it up to part of being in a theme park, Disney has taken the initiative (which I applaud) to make the queue lines part of the experience. Look at Little Mermaid and Dumbo--the queues are more enjoyable than the rides themselves!

I think the goal here is to make people not despise lines so much. Instead of kids having to decide what they want to ride, they'll decide which queue line they can stand to wait in (because let's face it, they're all long now). I think it's a great way to handle what has become an inevitable 'problem' that can't be readily fixed. Would it be better to add more rides? I'm not sure. For one, I don't think the demand is there, especially considering WDW's main audience is tourists who don't come very frequently and are therefore much more satisfied with the options presented to them (whereas DLR has to constantly update to keep bored locals happy). Second, more rides wouldn't diminish the problem Interactive Queue Lines and NextGen are out to solve--a new ride would just mean more lines.

WDW is a family vacation, and waiting in boring lines is not a fun family activity--this eases the pain a bit and just improves the experience overall, no matter what some purists will argue.

• Minion

It's PR. All of them sound better on paper than they actually are.

• Minion

Inconsistent because some lines are interactive and some are not? That's a ridiculous statement and really just grasping at straws.

Idly waiting in line is a far more tortuous experience than waiting in a line while engaging in another activity. People can talk, listen to music, play games, even read a book, but Disney is providing another alternative. Sure, one can argue that people can look around and take in the Disney magic while they wait in line, but not everyone has that capacity or feels as strongly about Disney as we do on this forum. Interactive queues give guests direct, immediate, and intentional distractions to make their stay more enjoyable.

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by ttintagel View Post
    It's PR. All of them sound better on paper than they actually are.
    I haven't seen any advertisements or PR schemes regarding this at all (besides fan forums like these). In most cases they're pleasant surprises, which makes me praise Disney even more.

The marketing for New Fantasyland is a different story, however......

• Shubisha

I still don't get the HM one. It's after the first set long of switchbacks. By the time you get to it you're only adding to your wait time as skipping it is always faster. I don't feel like it has any impact on the waiting experience or, if the line is indeed long enough to make the wait miserable, that it's located to help alleviate the boredom at all. Just a fun little extra thing on the side, but that's all.

I like Pooh's though. And Space's.

I still think the hallway after you exit the elevators and they funnel you into the single-file switchback needs to be redesigned. It feels like a hazard everytime I'm shoved into it and I'm surprised the fire marshall never has an issue with when it gets overcrowded.

Here's what I think the goal is ...

Kids have cell phones that play all kinds of games and get internet/chat/text message, etc. Anytime a kid gets stuck in a line for more than 35 seconds, they are prone to pulling out the phone and playing on it (and not interacting with their parents and/or the environment). Parents see the kid standing there playing on the phone and say to themselves, "Why am I spending $500 a day to watch my kid play on his phone, when he could do that for free at home?" This has Disney very concerned. The perception is that the kid's phone is more interesting that what is going on in their immediate area in the park. So Disney is trying to stop the kids from looking at video screens on their phone by getting them to look at video screens in the queue - that way, the adults can return to justifying the expense in their own minds. It's psychological.

• Senior Minion

Quote Originally Posted by disneytom View Post
    Or, is this just another ego trip on behalf of certain management and Imagineers that think what quests want is interactive games and experiences (cheap fun house stuff).
    This.

It's a demonstration of what passes for creativity in a corporation where beancounters call the shots.
    "With the acquisition of Marvel and now of Lucasfilm,
    Disney may have finally found the grail. You don't need
    imagination or art. All you need is a brand."

- Neil Gabler

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Wiggins View Post
    This.

It's a demonstration of what passes for creativity in a corporation where beancounters call the shots.
    I don't see how implementing a load of money into interactive queues represents a typical beancounter decision. There is no immediate profit in interactive queues. In fact, there is no profit at all (people are not going to Disney specifically for interactive queues). Is it the most creative thing in the world? No. But it's an unconventional use of funds--it's there to simply improve the guest experience; whether or not you think it is an improvement or not is up to you, but there is absolutely no harm in these additions and upgrades. Now, if they were getting rid of classic attractions to cut down on cost, then we could talk..

• Disneyland 19 year APH

Im so glad we don't do this at Disneyland. We are to busy to focus on updating lines than building real attractions. I think the bottom line would come down to be all the enhanced queues vs. one or two new attractions? Was it worth it considering that Universial is building and rebuilding everything and the kitchen sink?
    Check out my work on openstreetmap.org
    http://www.openstreetmap.org/?lat=33...om=17&layers=M

Quote Originally Posted by almandot View Post

I still think the hallway after you exit the elevators and they funnel you into the single-file switchback needs to be redesigned. It feels like a hazard everytime I'm shoved into it and I'm surprised the fire marshall never has an issue with when it gets overcrowded.
    I fully agree, I hate that section, I dread it every time I get on the ride. They need to start a single file line from the elevator door. I can't tell you how many times I or one of my kids has been shoved or stepped on there. So many people use it as a way to get to the doom buggies two or three people faster.. trampling everyone else in the process.

I see it as a way to extend the experience of the ride, and keep the kiddos a little happier, without a major investment in time, personnel, and park space for a new ride. I honestly do not understand why anyone would have a problem with it, it's not as if you are forced to participate. In the case of the HM where the area is more of a "mingle" and people tend to take a little time to see everything they even offered a bypass. On our last trip my son and I spend about a half hour playing the games in the Space Mountain queue.. just because they were fun. It was the middle of the night on an extra magic hours day and there was absolutely zero wait. Everyone has their own perspective on how to best spend their time at the parks, but personally I feel taking a few minutes to enjoy the little details makes for a much more enjoyable trip.

Page 1 of 5 1234 ... LastLast