Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

• Minion

Re: Favourite WDW Hotel and Why?

Quote Originally Posted by CaliforniaAdventurer View Post
    Has anyone ever stayed in Fort Wilderness Campground? In a mobile home, in an RV, or in a tent? Are there Disney tents set up, or do they just rent out the camping spot?
    Rented a cabin a while back with my family--they were really just dressed-up mobile homes lol. But for everything that's not a cabin, they just sell you a pad and you have to set up the tent and everything yourself. If I remember right, each little pad comes with a few plugs and a cable outlet and a grill and that's about it. We just went for the weekend--I would never want to come back from a full day at the parks to that though, I want to relax in a comfy bed and take a long shower!

On a different note, does anyone else feel that the Grand Floridian is a bit overrated? I've noticed it on a few people's lists but it's not the clear 'best' hotel on this thread despite it being the flagship resort on property (and the most expensive). I mean, I think it's nice but the theme is a bit bland and besides being on the monorail line I didn't really find anything to rave about it (even the restaurants have gone downhill IMO, besides Victoria & Albert's). I don't know, it seemed underwhelming to me.

Quote Originally Posted by CaliforniaAdventurer View Post
    You've just convinced me to go 7 times.
    That's what I'm talkin' about.
    Glad I could help
    Hahahaha!

In my opinion, as much I enjoy WDW none of it's parks hold a candle to Disneyland. But I do very much enjoy geeking out on the hotels and spending a day or two hotel hopping.

I'd love to stay at the Polynesian. I always loved walking the grounds and getting the little boat across the lagoon. Plus they have dole whip at captain cooks.

Maybe one day if I win the lottery.........

• New Member Goes Forth

Grand Floridian, as that is where I got my Pluto plush.

My last Disney hotel was Port Orleans (2003), so it always holds a place in my heart
    The new Star Wars plot summery:

Episode 7: Luke discovers that Darth Vader is not his father, and goes on a search for his real father

Episode 8: Darth Vader is resurrected and goes on Jerry Springer, claiming he is Luke and Leia's father

Episode 9: Princes Leia is not Luke's sister, making him furious (we all know why...).

• Broadcaster

I'd have to say Pop Century - for a few reasons.

For one, it is a walk away from Art of Animation, another beautiful resort.

Two, it is most affordable - for the amount of time I'm in the room, Pop is best value.

Three - the theming is fun! And the three times I've stayed there, I've been in the 50's, then 60's, then 70's (without requesting them)...so I can only imagine I'll be in the 80's next!
    V24 Radio: The Official Radio Station of MiceChat!
    Now streaming at V24Radio.com - All Disney Parks All The Time!
    Also: Listen commercial-free all day on TuneIn Radio! Just search for "V24 Radio"!

• formerly very helpful

Quote Originally Posted by TylerDurden View Post
    On a different note, does anyone else feel that the Grand Floridian is a bit overrated? I've noticed it on a few people's lists but it's not the clear 'best' hotel on this thread despite it being the flagship resort on property (and the most expensive). I mean, I think it's nice but the theme is a bit bland and besides being on the monorail line I didn't really find anything to rave about it (even the restaurants have gone downhill IMO, besides Victoria & Albert's). I don't know, it seemed underwhelming to me.
    While I think Grand Floridian is a beautiful hotel (nver stayed there, only looked around), I think much of its prestige comes from the fact that when it was built, it really was the fanciest, most elaborate Disney hotel. Well, I think much of that has changed with the other bajillion hotels that have been built since. Still, I don't think its too shabby, either. Although if given the money, I'd stay elsewhere before the Grand Floridian. Even an older hotel like the Polynesian.
    But that's just my taste.

• Hukuna Matata!

I had good luck with the port Orleans riverside. Great shuttle service, great food and view the price was great.

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by sbk1234 View Post
    While I think Grand Floridian is a beautiful hotel (nver stayed there, only looked around), I think much of its prestige comes from the fact that when it was built, it really was the fanciest, most elaborate Disney hotel. Well, I think much of that has changed with the other bajillion hotels that have been built since. Still, I don't think its too shabby, either. Although if given the money, I'd stay elsewhere before the Grand Floridian. Even an older hotel like the Polynesian.
    But that's just my taste.
    I see. I feel the same as you, I can think of quite a few places I'd stay before the Grand Floridian, even though it really is beautiful.

I was wondering this too? Being native to Vancouver and the insane amounts we all camp I absolutely can't imagine camping in the hot, wet heat down in Florida. And what is the dinner show like? Worth it to go?

• Nerd.

My least favorite so far has been Port Orleans. My fave mod is Coronado Springs because it has a bit more of a deluxe feel. Love the slide and the pool.

I don't mind Pop if doing value. Recently did a night at Art of Animation which I thought was quite nice. The pools and grounds are beautiful and the food court was great. Those are the only values I have stayed at.

I have also rented DVC points. Stayed at Saratoga which was nice, but not my fave. LOVED Beach Club villas. So nice to just walk to EPCOT. For an upcoming trip, I am staying at AK Kidani. I am waitlisted for Bay Lake, but either will be fine and fun to try!

Of all the hotels on property, and I have stayed in a few different ones, I would have to say that my favorite is the Boardwalk. However a lot of this is as you might imagine subjective, I have a lot of fond memories tied into that hotel and the surrounding area.

On another level though I really do like the design of the place, the pool is great and that Keister Coaster water slide is awesome! I also like the surrounding dinning and entertainment options located on the, far underrated and unadvertised, Boardwalk entertainment area.

Another huge plus has to be the easy park access, in particular to EPCOT. That park is such a short walk away that, provided you have a Park Hopper/Annual Pass, you can walk into the park at the end of your day and take in Illuminations or make use of all the dinning available in World Showcase.

Like I said though a lot of it is subjective. Boardwalk has always been my Dad's favorite hotel on property, so we stayed there a lot and I think as a result of all the memories associated with it the place might be my favorite hotel in the entire world!

P.S.
    Another favorite for me is probably Contemporary, there is just something about it that I like.

I agree, and am surprised you are the only one to mention this resort! I've stayed at Caribbean Beach, Old Key West, Bay Lake Tower, and The Boardwalk resorts. I've also visited just about every other resort on property, and while I know its not the same as spending your entire vacation there. It is easy to get a general idea of the proximity to all the parks, as well as dining and shopping areas. Out of the places I've stayed, The Boardwalk is hands down my number 1 choice of Disney resorts. I have stayed there three times now, and had the same pleasant experience every time. I'll break down my reasons.

1.) Location, Location, Location!

The location of The boardwalk resort is amazing! You have Hollywood Studios directly to your left, and Epcot directly to your right. You have two options to get to both parks. Walking or by a Friendship Boat. The walk to Hollywood Studios is about a twenty minute walk, with a great view of the Tower of Terror on your way. It is also partially shaded, if you're worried about the heat. The boat ride takes about ten minutes, but that time varies as the boat stops at the Swan and Dolphin before heading to the gates of Hollywood Studios. (The boats are covered so they are your best bet if its raining). Getting to epcot is a breaze! Its Litterally a hop, skip, and jump away. You can also take a boat there, but you are able to walk much faster! The entrence you depart at and will enter the park is in the back of World Showcase, (near England). Its an entrence most people dont even know exists! Its really neat to have a park so close to you!

Like I said, I have stayed at Bay Lake Tower ( its connected to the contemporay for anyone unsure) So I do know how close It is to Magic Kindom. However, being inbetween two parks is an awesome experience! Getting to the Magic kingdom from Epcot, is as easy as hopping on the Monorail and flying over. Or you can take the busses to Epcot, Magic Kingdom, both water parks, and Downtown disney.

2.) Entertainment/Food
    The Boardwalk is an incredible place to stay for options on things to do,see, and eat! Unlike anything I've seen before at any hotel!
    A.) Food!
    They have great resturants; ( Table service) Big River Grille & Brewing works, Kouzinna, ESPN Zone, and Flying Fish Cafe. Quick Service spots; Boardwalk Bakery, Boardwalk Joes, Boarwalk pizza window, and Leaping Horse Libations. Snack stops; Boarwalk icecream, and seashore sweets.
    B.)Fun!
    The Boardwalk has A lot more to do then most resorts! There pool is pretty unique!
    The pool area (Luna Park) has a huge pool, with a 200-foot water slide. The slide is called the Keister Coaster, and is fashioned after an old time wooden roller coaster, The pool front looks like a huge clown, and the slide dumps out threw his mouth! creapy or cool? You be the judge. Community Hall rents bikes, pool accessories, movies, books, and fishing equipment from 8 a.m. until 10 p.m. Across the huge boardwalk there is tons to see at night! The Atlantic Dance Hall, which has a night club feel is totally free! Jelly Rolls is a dueling piano bar (21 and up) but does have a cover charge. I LOVE THIS BAR.You will aslo find midway games, face painting, hand wax molds, caricature artists and the wacky, travelling buskers. There is also a game room, I've never actually experienced that.

Theres so much to say about this resort, i'm sure its easy to tell I love it! I could go on and on, but there is plenty of websites to do that for me. Basically The Boardwalk will always be my number 1 resort choice!!!!!
    I'm like a shooting star, I've come so far. I cant go back to where I used to be.
    -Jasmine.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12