Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

• Circle of Ancients

Blog Entries

Re: Do We Let Nostalgia Cloud Our Vision of Present Day Disney?

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Wiggins View Post
    Bingo x 3!
    OOOhhh can you hear the cackling of three witches?

I love everything Disney, new and old. There's no need for out with the old and in with the new....the best part of Disney is that you have both, history and creativity in one place, that is why everyone loves it! Disney just needs to keep growing and growing in my opinion...being both old and new at the same time.
    Oh... I just love happy endings.

Quote Originally Posted by BriarRose13 View Post
    I love everything Disney, new and old. There's no need for out with the old and in with the new....the best part of Disney is that you have both, history and creativity in one place, that is why everyone loves it! Disney just needs to keep growing and growing in my opinion...being both old and new at the same time.
    The key is to realize which parts of the old and the new are best and should be kept as Disney's core values.

While I do not know to much about nostalgia about WDW, it seems to run rampant at Disneyland. Yet nostalgia is a wonderful thing in some cases, and can justify preserving some of the best parts of the parks.

So to much nostalgia, yes. As long as it does not cloud visionary views though nostalgia is perfectly justified.

• New Member Goes Forth

Sadly, that is true, but DIsney needs to invest into new attractions that are different to what they have done before. In the last 10 years, Universal has been doing more attractions that are new, and with new film series. I know that USO took at Jas and Kingfrontation, Back to the Future, but the additions that replace them are great, even the new construction is looking good
    The new Star Wars plot summery:

Episode 7: Luke discovers that Darth Vader is not his father, and goes on a search for his real father

Episode 8: Darth Vader is resurrected and goes on Jerry Springer, claiming he is Luke and Leia's father

Episode 9: Princes Leia is not Luke's sister, making him furious (we all know why...).

• 1,200 Miles from da Mouse

Yes Nostalgia does cloud our vision of Disney a bit, but as one person said, "Those who don't learn from the mistakes of the past are doomed to repeat it."

I believe the same should go for the successes...and Disney should have a bright future ahead of it, hopefully they'll dig themselves out of this rut, and we won't be talking like ths for another 40 years..
    The test of success is not what you do when you are on top. Success is how high you bounce when you hit bottom.
    -George S. Patton

My biggest complaint is that the price of admission is always going up, while the budgets for maintenance seem to be going down, but the overall quality of the "show" or the experience of the rides I think relates to that as well...

The "light bulb" issue comes from Walt's idea that every day is someone's first visit to the park, so everything should always look brand new. But over the years the people who now run things have come to realize they make a lot of money on "repeat business". So the build Vacation Clubs, which the dues and points for are constantly going up in price, they charge $80 to get in the door, so you can buy $30 t-shirts, and eat $9 hamburgers, and drink $3 Coca-Cola... and have decided "do we really need to spend money checking the light bulbs every night?"

They make a lot of profit on "nostalgia". It's those nostalgic feelings that keep bringing people back to the place. I don't have any sympathy for one of the largest corporations in the world's inability to earn a profit from all their various business ventures. If that's the case then perhaps they are not running their business properly.

Hollywood was built by people who were "showmen" Walt Disney, Jack Warner, Louie B. Mayer... they were people who knew how to put on a show and how entertain the public. They all nearly bankrupted themselves several times, or they just had the instincts, and the storytelling skills, and the courage of their own convictions, to bet everything on a really good "show" they figured out the "business" end of "show business" as they went along

This same "showmen" mentality was applied to the building of Disneyland, the animators who had spent nearly 20 years making films were recruited to be imagineers. The classic rides that were original to the park like, Jungle Cruise, Haunted Mansion, Pirates... were created by people who had a lot of experience putting on shows. But after 40's year as lead animator, Glen Keane recently retired for Walt Disney Animation, because they current Disney Corporation doesn't see the need to do the thing that the company was founded on anymore

So I'm nostalgic for a time when I felt like a "guest", instead of "a source of revenue", and when it was being run by people who knew how to put on a "show", instead of by people who really don't seem to know how to do anything except "math"

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123