Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Revamp on DHS

Revamp on DHS

Hey -- first thread -- and over the last few years, I have seen Disney World go from THE attraction in Orlando to equals with Universal (due to Universal's expansion and Disney's focus on properties other than Florida. And with more Harry Potter on the way (rumored, but shocked if they don't) at Universal, Disney's going to need something more than Avatarland on even Cars Land, in my opinion. So I'd like to hear opinions on fixing Hollywood Studios, which I believe is the park most in need of repair. And for those of you who disagree, Hollywood Studios has a total of six -- SIX -- actual rides in the park. (TOT, Toy Story Mania, Rockin Roller Coaster, Great Movie Ride, Studio Tour, Star Tours). We can also discuss Animal Kingdom later.

First of all, with the purchase of Lucasfilm, Disney needs to expand on two of the most popular film series ever, Indy and Star Wars. Start with Star Wars; Disney should create a entire land dedicated to Star Wars. It is one of the only film series who can compete with Harry Potter, so use that to your advantage. First, get rid of the shows, including Indiana Jones (we will move this later) in the Echo Lake area. Next, make a restaurant that's modeled after the one on Tatooine. Replicate all of it, the bar, the design, even the Band (maybe one performance every two hours, cause damn, that song can be annoying). Next, make a E-Ticket dueling roller coaster with X-Wing and Tie Fighter tracks. This will be indoors, making it feel like space and able to create special effects. Next, have a walk through Milenium Falcon parked behind or to the side of the cantina, because let's face, who doesn't want to walk through the Falcon itself? Also, have a dark ride that focuses on The Return of the Jedi, something for smaller kids to do. Finally, do another coaster, designed as being on those bikes from the Ewok planet. Keep Star Tours and Jedi Academy.

I will continue this later when I have more time.

I am open to criticisms, critiques, new ideas, and any overall thoughts. Thank You for reading!

Re: Revamp on DHS

I am total agreement that DHS should focus on Star Wars and Indiana Jones rather than Cars Land. Both Star Wars and Indiana Jones are far better fits for a movie themed park than Cars Land is, in my opinion. Simply plopping in a carbon copy, or even worse, a downsized version of Cars Land is just taking the lazy, easy route. And, Cars Land should remain unique to DCA. WDW needs new attractions that aren't clones of attractions from other parks. Clone attractions don't entice me to come back to WDW. I need more of a reason to travel to WDW, not less.

I think they should do a" Star Wars Land" as you suggest. There are a lot of possibilities for attractions, shops and restaurants. I would love to see them get rid of the Indy stunt show and put in an Indy "land" similar to what Tokyo Disney Seas has, with an Indiana Jones Adventure and a coaster.

I drew this awhile back, sort of along the same lines as the ideas here. It adds 14 rides (plus several shows). This version has the disallowed Marvel IP, so it's not very realistic. Whole backlot gives way to Middle Earth:

• Circle of Ancients

Blog Entries

Very interesting. Personally, Middle Earth seems like "Potter Lite". Are you suggesting WB-New Line partner with Universal for Harry Potter lands and then turn around and partner with Disney on Lord of the Rings? I doubt that would make Universal very happy, and they have a good relationship with Warners. Very well done as usual, but I don't see this happening, it's too similar, plus when you put Star Wars in there as well Orlando would become the Nerd Magnet.

• Filmmaker

I like a lot of the ideas here. I very much agree that Lucasfilm needs to get a fair amount of focus in the new park, and I'd love to see them work out some kind of arrangement with Universal to allow Marvel attractions in DHS.

As for Middle Earth, unfortunately anyone wanting theme park rights to Lord of the Rings will have to deal with the Tolkien estate who are neither very fond of the Peter Jackson films nor historically keen on the idea of LotR theme park attractions. That one's in the realms of near-impossibility.

I started a thread a while back with some of my own ideas for the park as well: Disney's Hollywood Studios Refresh

• Team Hail HYDRA

I like the ides for a Star Wars land. I think they IP could have it's own park though

Go visit my theme park website!!! http://kolbykonnection.com

Yes Yes Yes, just implode DHS and start over. This place has long warn out it's welcome. Aside from Toy Story, Star Tours and Rock'n Roller Coaster, well, maybe Tower too, there is not much left to enjoy over and over again. The Great Movie Ride is a complete joke and once you've seen a show once, not much of a reason to go back to it, even though they are very well done and fantastic. But I think team Disney should focus on one theme, and since the footprint is not very large, perhaps Marvel would be the better choice, then have a separate Star Wars park. Marvel would not be too tough even with the licensing of the bigger characters parceled of at Universal many new things can be done with the other characters in the Marvel library.

A Star Wars theme park is very long over do and can be a tremendous success. There are enough characters to appeal to both girls and boys.

• Minion

A revamp doesn't have to be a complete overhaul...they could actually do a fairly solid one pretty easily.

It starts with removing the Hat. Restore the Old Hollywood vibe back to its original brilliance. That alone would do wonders.

Now Sunset Blvd is pretty good as it is, with the exception of Rock N Rollercoaster being out of theme--but let's face it, that's not going anywhere. It's one of the most popular rides on property, and they're not going to bother re-theming it, especially if it means closing it down. People are just going to have to accept that they built a record studio next to an abandoned hotel. It could happen. The only other change they could make here is possibly replacing the Beauty and the Beast show but it's not terrible as it is.

Pixar Place would be expanded into the Animation Courtyard (Disney doesn't even do traditional animation anymore) and The Voyage of the Little Mermaid show would be replaced with...anything. Up, Brave, anything. But it wouldn't be with lame puppets and it wouldn't have standing room only. The One Man's Dream exhibit and Animation building would be demolished to open up that really congested area. This would open up space, but give them room to maybe put in that Monsters, Inc inverted door roller coaster ride. If they want to save money, they could clone Hide and Go-Seek or whatever it's called from Tokyo. Pixar Place would also expand into the Backlot, where the sad excuse for a tour would be shut down. I don't see Disney replacing this anytime soon, so it would probably just sit empty for a while. The only other major change would be turning the Honey I Shrunk the Kids playground into a Bug's Life themed area.

Ok so far we've only taken some things out to improve the park aesthetically and put in one new ride. Nothing too extreme or out of Disney's way. Now, I would leave the Streets of America as they are, besides moving the entrance to the new Bug's Life playground to where the Pixar Place is.

The tricky part is Echo Lake. When Disney's contract with American Idol expires (though I'm not sure how soon that will be) this will have to go. They could put in maybe another incarnation of The Walt Disney exhibit here (I really like that area).
    The rest of Echo Lake would make for an awesome Lucasfilm Land but we know Disney wouldn't spend enough money to pull it off, PLUS we'd lose Prime Time Dinner and the buffet. SO, Echo Lake would become a 1950's comic book-style city...the dinosaur would leave to become an art-deco structure, and the Sounds Dangerous building would become an art-deco facade as well. Indiana Jones would be updated, and match the '50's vibe (as it's based off pulp serials of that time). The large tacky sign would give way to something more subtle, and the area immediately surrounding the amphitheater would become a jungle (making the Backlot Cafe a sort of outpost, if you will). The city theming would extend to Star Tours, which would ditch the movie set/Endor theme and look like a retro spaceport. This would fix up the aesthetics of that area, and keep the Golden Age sort of vibe continuing from the entrance.

That seems like a quick and reasonable fix. Disney could replace the Backlot Tour and area where Catastrophe Canyon is for some big rides down the road, but with just a few aesthetic changes and one new ride in Pixar Place and one new show replacement, I could see them doing it. And it would make the park gel so much better than it does now.

• Roller coaster enthusiast

I say lets start of with making the worlds largest hidden Mickey whole by removing the Sorcerers Hat off his nose and giving Mickey his left ear. I also agree that the Little Mermaid show has hot to go. It definitely has seen better days.
    Current coaster count: 155
    100th coaster: Phantom's Revenge at Kennywood
    150th coaster: Intimidator at Carowinds
    last new park addition: Fun Spot America

Quote Originally Posted by TylerDurden View Post
    It starts with removing the Hat. Restore the Old Hollywood vibe back to its original brilliance. That alone would do wonders.

Echo Lake would become a 1950's comic book-style city...the dinosaur would leave to become an art-deco structure, and the Sounds Dangerous building would become an art-deco facade as well. Indiana Jones would be updated, and match the '50's vibe (as it's based off pulp serials of that time). The large tacky sign would give way to something more subtle, and the area immediately surrounding the amphitheater would become a jungle (making the Backlot Cafe a sort of outpost, if you will). The city theming would extend to Star Tours, which would ditch the movie set/Endor theme and look like a retro spaceport. This would fix up the aesthetics of that area, and keep the Golden Age sort of vibe continuing from the entrance.
    BRILLIANT idea Tyler! I especially like the general idea of a comic book style city and restoring the Golden Era of Hollywood vibe back to the park. That has always been my favorite thing about Hollywood Studios.

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by Mondo Mouse View Post
    BRILLIANT idea Tyler! I especially like the general idea of a comic book style city and restoring the Golden Era of Hollywood vibe back to the park. That has always been my favorite thing about Hollywood Studios.
    well thank you!
    I agree that the emphasis on Golden Age Hollywood is the best aspect of the park as it is now and it's done pretty well. That's what they should expand on.

Quote Originally Posted by sandlotgiant1 View Post
    First of all, with the purchase of Lucasfilm, Disney needs to expand on two of the most popular film series ever, Indy and Star Wars. Start with Star Wars; Disney should create a entire land dedicated to Star Wars. It is one of the only film series who can compete with Harry Potter, so use that to your advantage. First, get rid of the shows, including Indiana Jones (we will move this later) in the Echo Lake area. Next, make a restaurant that's modeled after the one on Tatooine. Replicate all of it, the bar, the design, even the Band (maybe one performance every two hours, cause damn, that song can be annoying). Next, make a E-Ticket dueling roller coaster with X-Wing and Tie Fighter tracks. This will be indoors, making it feel like space and able to create special effects. Next, have a walk through Milenium Falcon parked behind or to the side of the cantina, because let's face, who doesn't want to walk through the Falcon itself? Also, have a dark ride that focuses on The Return of the Jedi, something for smaller kids to do. Finally, do another coaster, designed as being on those bikes from the Ewok planet. Keep Star Tours and Jedi Academy.
    In general, I very much like all these ideas. I don't know whether or not this should really go in the DHS park though, or would be better for someplace like the third gate at the Disneyland Resort (I certainly hope it's not ALL Marvel). I think one issue with a lot of the new ideas coming from both TDO and Disney fanatics like us is that they stray from the original idea of what this particular park is supposed to be: a STUDIOS park with the emphasis on the way movies are made, etc. Full immersion environments of actual movies/stories is what Disneyland and Magic Kingdom are for. Having said that, seeing as the possibility of a fifth gate at WDW is unlikely, I wouldn't mid terribly if they do make a Star Wars Land type area at DHS. I will take it eight days a week over a Cars Land there (such a LAME idea!).

Quote Originally Posted by sandlotgiant1 View Post
    have a walk through Milenium Falcon parked behind or to the side of the cantina, because let's face, who doesn't want to walk through the Falcon itself?
    HELL YES sandlotgiant1! This is an AWESOME Idea. Just to see the Millennium Falcon sitting there would be incredible, and a quality walk-through would be AMAZING. Plus this ties in well with the theme of the park, as the whole thing can be construed as something in the vein of "this was used for filming purposes, for both exterior shots and interior filming" etc.

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • is in Antarctica

I personally think that any revamp to DHS first has to start with the question of "Why?"

Why should people visit?
    Why are these spaces here?
    Why are these attractions here?
    Why should people care?

To me right now DHS makes ZERO sense

you have fake studio stuff, you have "real attractions"

Prime example of a newer attraction built with so little thought to the WHYS

Toy Story Mania was built inside Pixar Studios. Ok that is all well and good. BUT you enter a building where you are "shrunk to the size of the toy under Andys bed"

Ok... but I am in the studio, where they make the movie... so why would I be under Andys bed... and once I enter that is when I am shrunk down, then why are there giant toys outside hanging up all over Pixar Studios. So in Midway Mania, am I actually interacting with the toys, or is this part of the Studio? Then why also is Mr. Potato Head in the line? So this is real? Or this is fake? Because if it is fake, then why do we need the whole ruse the toy story pals putting on a carival.. but if it is real why is this taking place inside of a Studio...

Almost EVERY attraction at DHS is plagued with this issue.
    Get the latest and greatest theme park news by

• Minion

^I think it's supposed to be more of a pseudo-film set. Obviously you don't 'film' Pixar films, but how exactly do you make an animation backlot or set? They're selling the idea that they 'filmed' the Toy Story movies at toy-size under Andy's bed. It's an imaginary cartoon version of Hollywood, kinda like in Who Framed Roger Rabbit but a little less meta-aware. That's my take on it anyway. Kinda like how you technically start Star Tours on Endor, even though it's a film set. Well Andy's room is Endor, but the characters (actors) are all there.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast