Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Results 46 to 60 of 72
  1. #46

    • Circle of Ancients
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Paris, France / Los Angeles
    Posts
    38,886
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: The layout of Walt Disney World

    They squandered the opportunity.

  2. #47

    • Circle of Ancients
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Paris, France / Los Angeles
    Posts
    38,886
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: The layout of Walt Disney World

    Quote Originally Posted by goofy donald View Post
    ...keeping the hotels separate helps to separate the thematic differences between the two different places and create better more cohesive thematic environments as well as slightly more private resorts. IMO it is a much better idea to keep the hotels at arms length from the parks in that sense.
    I think there's a balance between 'far flung' and 'tightly packed' where you could easily walk from one resort hotel to the next without it overshadowing it's neighbors.

    Especially given all the greenery in subtropical Florida.

  3. #48

    • The one, the only...
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Los Angeles, California
    Posts
    2,851

    Re: The layout of Walt Disney World

    The hotels around the Magic Kingdom don't seem so much a problem. There are fun transpertation options around to make the trip to the hotels fun. I more have a problem with the hotels around Epcot. They all seem to blend together. Also since they are so close, they loose some of the mystery and magic. For example, at the Wilderness Lodge. You can take a boat over and feel like you are staying in a national forest. Near Epcot, you can see the other resort across the river, so it feels less like it is in its own world, thus less magic. I really wish that the Epcot resorts had an international theme. That really would have made them special.
    Jiminy Cricket Fan
    .................................

    Love Disneyland and Walt Disney World!

  4. #49

    • Member
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    London, England
    Posts
    392

    Re: The layout of Walt Disney World

    Quote Originally Posted by JiminyCricketFan View Post
    The hotels around the Magic Kingdom don't seem so much a problem. There are fun transpertation options around to make the trip to the hotels fun. I more have a problem with the hotels around Epcot. They all seem to blend together. Also since they are so close, they loose some of the mystery and magic. For example, at the Wilderness Lodge. You can take a boat over and feel like you are staying in a national forest. Near Epcot, you can see the other resort across the river, so it feels less like it is in its own world, thus less magic. I really wish that the Epcot resorts had an international theme. That really would have made them special.
    agree the themes of a lot of the resorts could have been more exciting. I think the original Persian and Asian themes sounded really fun & more unique than the 'safe' themes of most of the resorts

  5. #50

    • MiceChat Moderator
    • Starcruiser.. crash crash
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Los Angeles & Orange County
    Posts
    21,398

    Re: The layout of Walt Disney World

    I think what might bother me more than the layout is that each individual theme park is lacking in variety and things to do. There's way too many shows, too many walk-throughs, too many movies... it makes me want to park hop and then I'm stuck on this long wait for a bus that takes 20 minutes to get to the next destination.

    The layout and far distances just add to this feeling that there is vast tracts of nothing. I suppose what I expect from a Walt Disney "World" is more Disney and less Florida.


    Visit my mice chat toy shop!
    http://micechat.com/forums/merchandi...oy-shoppe.html

    Track Disney Animation Presence in the Theme Parks Worldwide!
    http://micechat.com/forums/disneylan...ired-them.html

  6. #51

    • Circle of Ancients
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Paris, France / Los Angeles
    Posts
    38,886
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: The layout of Walt Disney World

    As for the overall resort, I like something like this:

    Ideal Buildout: Guest Feature

  7. #52

    • Circle of Ancients
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Paris, France / Los Angeles
    Posts
    38,886
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: The layout of Walt Disney World

    Quote Originally Posted by robbiem View Post
    agree the themes of a lot of the resorts could have been more exciting. I think the original Persian and Asian themes sounded really fun & more unique than the 'safe' themes of most of the resorts
    At Disneyland Paris, the hotels all convey some place in the United States. At Disneyland in California, generally, you could say they all have a California theme.

    But in Florida, the hotels do not relate to one another. At all.

  8. #53

    • Metro-Retro Historian
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Brava Centauri
    Posts
    1,041

    Re: The layout of Walt Disney World

    Quote Originally Posted by Coheteboy View Post
    I think what might bother me more than the layout is that each individual theme park is lacking in variety and things to do. There's way too many shows, too many walk-throughs, too many movies... it makes me want to park hop and then I'm stuck on this long wait for a bus that takes 20 minutes to get to the next destination.

    The layout and far distances just add to this feeling that there is vast tracts of nothing. I suppose what I expect from a Walt Disney "World" is more Disney and less Florida.
    What they need to do is make the transportation between areas an attractions in themselves. When the journey becomes part of the fun, it becomes less of a chore.


    Quote Originally Posted by CaliforniaAdventurer View Post
    At Disneyland Paris, the hotels all convey some place in the United States. At Disneyland in California, generally, you could say they all have a California theme.

    But in Florida, the hotels do not relate to one another. At all.
    And why should they? By offering a multitude of diverse themes you open the door for a vast variety of experiences. It is what makes possible the ability to attend dinner at a Polynesian luau then take a walk around a turn of the century boardwalk. The size of Walt Disney World makes it possible to experiment with a wide variety of themes in enough space to avoid visual contradictions. The problem is that they are not connected with each other very well physically. Thematically there isn't really any reason for a connection. The Disney level of quality and detail should provide enough unity on its own. Whether that level of quality still exists is a separate debate.
    It bothers me when people selectively edit quotes to support whatever point they are trying to prove.

  9. #54

    • Circle of Ancients
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Paris, France / Los Angeles
    Posts
    38,886
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: The layout of Walt Disney World

    Well it just goes to show the 'random' nature of the development.

  10. #55

    • MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • is in Antarctica
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Orlando, Florida
    Posts
    4,450

    Re: The layout of Walt Disney World

    I think the most colossal failure by Disney was/is never utilizing the TTC like it should have been.

    Disney World, should have only ever had 1 Parking Lot/structure All guests should have been directed to the 1 Super Lot. At this super lot they would be able to board a monorail/boat/bus to the park or hotel of their choice.

    Epcot, DHS, DAK would all be much better off without their parking lots. If there was just 1 parking lot, you could have put a DTD area in the center where people get their transportation.

    It would have in the long run cut down on costs, would have cut down on staff, would have preserved a lot more land for other development, would have driven merchandise, and food sales.

    Sadly they thought that each park needed it's own parking debacle.
    Get the latest and greatest theme park news by


  11. #56

    • Circle of Ancients
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Paris, France / Los Angeles
    Posts
    38,886
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: The layout of Walt Disney World

    Very good point. It was at that point that they went with sprawl.

  12. #57

    • MiceChat Moderator
    • Starcruiser.. crash crash
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Los Angeles & Orange County
    Posts
    21,398

    Re: The layout of Walt Disney World

    I guess it would only be annoying for the daytrippers who had one destination in mind. Perhaps they could have done a Parking lot West and a Parking lot East? Or would that be too confusing?


    I almost feel as if Downtown Disney should be a part of the massive parking area because the way things are handled at the parks now, t hey're basically forcing people to Downtown Disney to finish their shopping needs. It only makes sense for people to be able to get their shopping, late night dining fix, and then hop in their car.


    Visit my mice chat toy shop!
    http://micechat.com/forums/merchandi...oy-shoppe.html

    Track Disney Animation Presence in the Theme Parks Worldwide!
    http://micechat.com/forums/disneylan...ired-them.html

  13. #58

    • Metro-Retro Historian
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Brava Centauri
    Posts
    1,041

    Re: The layout of Walt Disney World

    Quote Originally Posted by KingEric View Post
    I think the most colossal failure by Disney was/is never utilizing the TTC like it should have been.

    Disney World, should have only ever had 1 Parking Lot/structure All guests should have been directed to the 1 Super Lot. At this super lot they would be able to board a monorail/boat/bus to the park or hotel of their choice.

    Epcot, DHS, DAK would all be much better off without their parking lots. If there was just 1 parking lot, you could have put a DTD area in the center where people get their transportation.

    It would have in the long run cut down on costs, would have cut down on staff, would have preserved a lot more land for other development, would have driven merchandise, and food sales.

    Sadly they thought that each park needed it's own parking debacle.
    This makes the most sense and it was the original intent of the Transportation & Ticket Center. That parking lot used to be huge before they got rid of half of it to build a race track. It was the main transportation hub not only for Walt Disney World but brought resort guests to other Orlando attractions as well. The area has been so de-emphasized by the buses and the philosophy to do everything you can to keep guests on property that it's like some weird vestigial organ ghost town that few guests aside from Magic Kingdom day visitors and people park hopping between the Magic Kingdom and Epcot ever get to experience.

    I'd love to see it become a center for activity again and putting Downtown Disney there as well as the obvious transportation expansions is a good way to do it. The area could and should be a magnificent centerpiece that ties all of Walt Disney World together. However, if all guests did have to pass through it to get to their ultimate destinations, I think the place would be absolutely insane around park openings and closings.
    It bothers me when people selectively edit quotes to support whatever point they are trying to prove.

  14. #59

    • Circle of Ancients
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Paris, France / Los Angeles
    Posts
    38,886
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: The layout of Walt Disney World

    Transportation should have been the central driving focus for the resort. Connectivity.

    There's no reason that the Fort Wilderness Railroad couldn't have been the transportation to Frontierland. There's no reason that Frontierland's position in the Magic Kingdom couldn't have been closer to Bay Lake with Tomorrowland and the Contemporary on the West side.

    Monorails could have connected Tomorrowland to Epcot and the futuristic hotels to the TTC, the train from Frontierland to TTC to Animal Kingdom and perhaps the boats could have been purposed to shuttle you from the Studios to the TTC.

  15. #60

    • враг народа
    • Online

    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Posts
    14,156
    Blog Entries
    3

    Re: The layout of Walt Disney World

    Quote Originally Posted by CaliforniaAdventurer View Post
    Transportation should have been the central driving focus for the resort. Connectivity.

    There's no reason that the Fort Wilderness Railroad couldn't have been the transportation to Frontierland. There's no reason that Frontierland's position in the Magic Kingdom couldn't have been closer to Bay Lake with Tomorrowland and the Contemporary on the West side.

    Monorails could have connected Tomorrowland to Epcot and the futuristic hotels to the TTC, the train from Frontierland to TTC to Animal Kingdom and perhaps the boats could have been purposed to shuttle you from the Studios to the TTC.
    All of those connections into the park would have undermined the formal organization of the Magic Kingdom.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. [Trip Report] The changing of Walt Disney World........ is this "normal"????
    By proradvlx in forum Walt Disney World Resort
    Replies: 31
    Last Post: 03-01-2011, 09:57 AM
  2. [News] Annual Pass Payment Plan On The Way to Walt Disney World
    By Dustysage in forum Walt Disney World Resort
    Replies: 39
    Last Post: 06-30-2010, 04:53 PM
  3. Stills from The Muppets at Walt Disney World
    By Guy Hutchinson in forum Walt Disney World Resort
    Replies: 35
    Last Post: 08-04-2007, 04:39 AM
  4. The Spas at Walt Disney World - LiveArticles.org - 2/2/06
    By MTNGIRL in forum MiceChat News Archive
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 02-06-2006, 10:02 PM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •