Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345

• Circle of Ancients

Blog Entries

Re: The layout of Walt Disney World

There's no reason that the Magic Kingdom needed to be the same dimensions or have the same organization as Disneyland in California. Perhaps a looser incarnation would have been a good thing to differentiate the two parks. Imagine Shanghai Disneyland in the place of WDW's Magic Kingdom with the above transportation connections between the parks and hotels.

• Metro-Retro Historian

If you swapped Tomorrowland and Frontierland, the old west would be on the east side of the park.
    It bothers me when people selectively edit quotes to support whatever point they are trying to prove.

• Circle of Ancients

Blog Entries

True but early park maps had Adventureland to the East of Main Street before it was moved; and beginning with Disneyland Paris, the Imagineers have taken the liberty of swapping Adventureland and Frontierland, they designed Hong Kong with no Frontierland at all, just a giant Adventureland (then added Grizzly Gulch mini land just outside the berm.) Shanghai also appears to have moved Adventureland to the East side and probably won't have a Frontierland.

I don't think the cardinal directions make a difference to visitors, and if the parks could benefit better from being organized differently, then go for it.

• враг народа

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Dapper Dan View Post
    If you swapped Tomorrowland and Frontierland, the old west would be on the east side of the park.
    Or the masterful organization of Manifest Destiny woven through the spatial organization of Liberty Square and Frontierland.

• Circle of Ancients

Blog Entries

Well you can't move Bay Lake, too bad it wasn't in the center of Disney's property.

• Disneyland 19 year APH

I think its a little late to fix the north end of the property but any future expantion of the resort would/should be center around filling all space around Epcot and maybe attatch a 5th gate on the south end of MK parkinglot
    Check out my work on openstreetmap.org
    http://www.openstreetmap.org/?lat=33...om=17&layers=M

• Metro-Retro Historian

It matters when the sun sets behind it. It's probably consciously imperceptible to guests on its own but it's one of those tiny details that enhances the whole.

I had assumed that if Frontierland moved Liberty Square would go with it. The progression of time around the Rivers of America is too good to give up.

The Magic Kingdom is the second ever Disney theme park and it was built at a very scary time for the company. They were undertaking the largest project that they have ever attempted and Walt had just died. They didn't want to shake up the winning formula from Disneyland too much because if the new park failed, the whole company was going down in flames. They initially thought of having the Fantasyland dark rides based on different movies but even backed out of that because they were in no position to take any chances. Disney had never operated a hotel either at that point and were about to open two five star hotels (which they actually were back then, not just priced like it) and a campground at the same time. That was plenty risk for them.

By the time they got to Disneyland Paris, the company was a lot more stable financially, more comfortable in the resort business, and they had already done the same thing three times. They needed to change things up a bit or else the myth that the castle parks are all cookie cutter copies would be even worse.

I don't know if it would have been better if they had the land east of Bay Lake to put the park and lagoon over there. Sure they could have kept Fort Wilderness remote and had a train leading to Frontierland, but The Contemporary would be diminished because it would no longer sit between the two bodies of water. I'm not sure the trade off is worth it.
    It bothers me when people selectively edit quotes to support whatever point they are trying to prove.

• Circle of Ancients

Blog Entries

/\
    That's a really good post.

Quote Originally Posted by CaliforniaAdventurer View Post
    Would DisneyWorld have been better if the resort hotels were natural extensions of the park's lands, with for example: a WILDERNESS LODGE adjacent to Frontierland, or The Grand Floridian in front of the main gate, like Paris' Disneyland Hotel?
    I love the view of and from the Magic Kingdom across Bay Lake. The park is a great "weenie" for guest arriving at the Ticket and Transportation Center.

And before the days of Yacht/Beach Club & the International Gateway or Grand Californian & the Grizzly Peaks entrance I would never have thought about a park with in themed connection to a resort. Now every time I herded down Main Street at Rope Drop or after Fireworks, its all I think about. Why can't I get to the Tomorrowland Hotel (i.e. Contemporary Resort/BLT) from a secret Tomorowland Gate? Or why can't I get to Fort Wilderness or Wilderness Lodge from the Frontierland Gate or the Frontierland/Wilderness RailRoad line? Or get to the Polynesian from the Adventureland Gate?

For the Frontierland/Wilderness thing thing to work, it would be nice if Bay Lake or another lake was to the west of 7 seas lagoon.

I do not like the idea of the Paris Disneyland Hotel at the main gate. It ruins the "weenie" across the lake. But at that point The Grand Floridan and/or other turn of the century style hotels along 7 seas look towards the Park and Main Street. Though in this scenario, everyone's beloved Polynesian Resort would be relocated (taking away what many lover about the resort) tucking it into the jungles of the backside of adventureland, I'd keep it on the water but with a view across to palm tree infested islands and no other civilization.

Along the lines of my post above. Animal Kingdom Lodge would be better integrated with the Animal Kingdom Park. Perhaps sharing the savanna with Kilimanjaro Safari and an entrance into the Africa section of the park. And if not via a pedestrian entrance (because the distance is too great), than connect the two via waterway (i.e. Discovery River Boats) or train (i.e. Wildlife Express), or simply use the Kilimanjaro Safari Jeeps to transport guest between the Park and the Lodge.

In keeping with the theme of Hotels connected to the parks...

If there was something I could change, it would be to eliminate the Swan and Dolphin from its current location. Put them someplace closer to the Village, but not where they currently are located.

Quote Originally Posted by CaliforniaAdventurer View Post
    What if it was master planned so the hotels were along walking paths circling the parks, I don't know, somehow avoiding the buses and long commutes by master planning the resort the way Walt designed EPCOT city.
    Along these lines. Instead of 4 separate parks, what if it was one giant park with room for expansion?
    - What if EPCOT Future World was just park of a kick-*** expansion of Tomorrowland?
    - What if Animal Kingdom was just an 500 acre Adventureland?
    - DHS was StudioLand or MovieLand or Hollywoodland
    - World Showcase, some other expanded or new land.

Walt's Dream of EPCOT was for a well connected Residential / Recreation / Commercial / Industrial Community. Convert the Residential to Hospitality, expand the Recreation, and nix the Commercial/Industrial you could still have one heck of a formula for a great Theme Resort Community.

But like the concept of EPOCT You would need a an efficient network of transportation systems to move people in an around the Community. And beyond Monorails and PeopleMovers, I think you would want to keep them themed with the various aspects of the resort. Expanded use of Monorails, SteamTrains, PeopleMovers, Waterways/Boats, even aerial cabriolets, gondolas, and trams (anything but buses).

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345