Need advice - first trip to Disney World, first flight with an infant...

We are taking our first trip to Disney World in May! (Well, I am...my husband was last there about 20 years ago.) We have a 6 month old infant (at the time of the trip) and this will be her first trip on an airplane. We are planning on spending 5 days at the parks (no water parks) - 2 days at Epcot and 1 day for each of the other parks. I'm an avid and experienced Disneylander, and have been there a few times with infants.

I'm looking for any advice on air travel with an infant, advice on what not to miss at the parks (especially for a first timer and huge Disney fan - also, I'm not much of a rollercoaster person), and advice on experiencing the parks with an infant. We might have help taking care of her on a few of the days, but mostly it will just be me, my husband and our daughter. I did just rent a stroller from Apple Strollers for the duration of our trip to save a little money and because I don't think the baby will do well in the Disney strollers (if they are anything like the Disneyland ones). Plus, she was a preemie and I like the fact that Apple actually launders the components of the strollers.

Basically, I just need HELP! LOL I'll take any and all advice!

Thank you!!

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • How do you do?

Blog Entries

Re: Need advice - first trip to Disney World, first flight with an infant...

If your flight is early enough or late enough she will most likely sleep through the entire flight (depending on your duration.) I know we flew from New York to California when our son was about the same age and we didn't really have any problems.

My few suggestions:
    -Make sure you have either a pacifier or bottle for the takeoff and landing - those were the hardest parts for us on the flight.
    -Make sure you have a change of clothes for both you and baby on the flight - we learned that one the hard way!!
    -Preboard on the plane and I find the aisle easier to get the baby up to the bathroom when necessary.

I'm sure other people have more, but those were the main flight tips that helped so much! Enjoy the trip!
    It's a Zip-A-Dee-Doo-Dah...Tip for Today!

G'day Hindsight2020! I wish you all a wonderful trip, and hope these travel tips may help. In the end, remember - don't sweat the small stuff! Things will not go according to plan always, so just go with the flow and make the most of everything as it happens!
    Firstly, don't forget your camera, charger and perhaps more memory for the pictures you take of your family, what a wonderful chance to get some photos you guys and your daughter can cherish forever!
    Now I don't thinkmill be able to offer much touring tips for WDW as I've never been myself, but I have been blessed with a lot of travel under my belt, and visiting most of the overseas Parks and have friends and family with lots of littlies. I'm pretty sure the Parks have a rider swap on most attractions, so if there are rides you and your partner want to do, but are not suitable for the bub, one can look after the bub while the other rides, and then you can swap so you also get a chance to ride without waiting in the full queue. Ask the cast members about this, it could be a great opportunity to get some great attractions under your belt, even of you are a single rider you've both done the attraction and can still talk about it!
    For the Parks, nap time and feeding schedules can still be adhered to. And I'm sure you have already learnt the positive difference a strict schedule can in making everything easier for all of you. And snacks for the little one! Whatever snacks you use at home, bring ample supplies with you.
    DONT OVER PACK!! I know kids come with a tonne of stuff they might need, but your not a pack mule, nor should you need to be. Be prepared with changes of clothes and nappy stuff, snacks and perhaps small distraction toys, but don't go overboard. Same goes for you and Husband. Don't drag around an overflowing handbag of useless things. Pack sunscreen, sunglasses, hats, perhaps light jackets, cameras and wallets, but what else do you really need? Pack light for both you guys and your daughter and enjoy your freedom! Also be careful about what you leave in the pram if you leave it unattended. Sadly not everyone is as honest as a mouse, even at the Happiest Places on Earth.
    Enjoy the relaxing attractions together! The Steam Train, the river cruiser, the people mover, Small World, just walking and enjoying the gardens and parkland with a nice drink or Icecream. It will be these family moments you will probably remember best.
    Dont be upset if daughter doesn't react well to characters. Imagine how big and scary they would seem to little innocent eyes. If it goes well, great, if not, that's fine. Photos with mum and dad and gorgeous background scenery will be just as magic.
    ok, next reply will be tips for the flights!
    First visit to a Disney Park was to Tokyo Disneyland in Oct, 2005. I was hooked! Was so blessed to visit Tokyo Disneyland and DisneySea in 2009, the original Disneyland and California Adventure in 2010, Tokyo Disneyland and DisneySea in 2011, and an incredible 5 night stay at Disneyland Paris in February 2013.

Ok, here goes. I think being a Flight Attendant I will be able to give some decent tips on travelling with your baby.

Be organised and get to the airport super early. Don't rush, and pack light! If you can check-in for your flight at home and print the boarding passes, do it! Your already ahead of the game! Now I know that you guys in America HATE checking bags in. But surely paying to check some bags in, then collecting them at the carousel is far less stressful than fighting for space in the overhead bins? Only bring what you'll need for the flight onboard, check the rest in and enjoy your freedom and space! If boarding first with your baby is an option, do it. Be at the Boarding Gate early and be prepared. Don't freak out if the Gate changes, so keep an eye on the screens. Aircraft movement and parking bays change often, so be adaptable but no need to stress about small stuff like that.

Be pleasant to your crew, and they will hopefully be pleasant in return. A great big smile and friendly hello will go a long way! Introduce your little one, tell them it's her first flight. If its a weekend, thank them for working on a weekend! Thank them for everything, manners seem to be a dying thing these days, yet make everything far more pleasant for everyone.

You will be lucky travelling with your husband, so you can help each other with the bags you have and take turns holding the baby during the flight. But seriously, just pack light. Bring snacks and baby food, and perhaps some small quiet toys to distract with, like finger puppets!!, a book to read to her! Something to entertain and play with your little one if she needs it. If the Crew have time, ask for a family picture onboard -not during boarding or disembarking, (Crew are not even getting payed during these times, and will have a million things to be doing to try and get the flight away as close to on-time as possible). And not during the meal service (you guys still have those?).

Feed baby at babies regular feeding times. Seems simple, but a lot of the time babies are upset onboard flights is if they are tired, or it's just their feeding time. So pack baby food you will need for those travel times and times spent at airports and in transit. Chances are she might sleep the entire flight! It's when kids are older and can move around of their own violition and WANT things is when travel can be more difficult. Babies are usually the best behaved passengers onboard flights. BUT, if she does cry, well guess what. That's what babies do. And if people have a problem with the noise, tough. They should have brought headphones for themselves, and they forget they were a baby once too. And don't you dare feel bad if your baby cries. I am sure you will do what you can, but sometimes babies cry.
    If you are REALLY freaking out about that, pack a few little baggies of candy for passengers around you, with a note from your daughter, explaining 1) I'm a baby. And 2) it's her first flight, and she's sorry for her noise.

Bring your nappy (diaper) change stuff (just what you might need, not a whole store) and change of clothes. But please, for the love of all humanity- use the baby change tables in the restrooms! Not the tray table where people eat, not on the seat where people sit, and don't put dirty diapers in the seat pocket or give them to the crew to dispose of. We handle food/drinks, just go put the dirty diaper in a nappy disposal bag, or a sick bag, and into the bins in the toilet. Do not flush the diaper, you don't want to divert the aircraft. And just ask your crew which toilets have the change tables in them for you to use. Some disinfectant wipes for the change table, tray table and if she drops her pacifier (we call them dummies in Australia LOL) on the floor. Bring a spare pacifier, they get lost easily! And if it does drop on the floor, wash it before giving it back to her. Aircraft are not the cleanest places on Earth.

Bring a light jacket for yourselves to wear, and a blanket for baby. Aircraft get cold inside, so be prepared and you'll be comfortable. Enjoy the time you and your husband have sitting together, not rushing around like crazy busy parents at home, use this time to relax and enjoy each others company!

But it's just travel and a vacation. No need to be a nightmare. Your not moving house or anything as stressful. Be organised, but prepared if best layer plans go astray. Don't sweat the small stuff! Rest and recharge when you have the chance to rest. You probably don't have those chances a lot at home, mums and dads are busy folk these days! Don't over pack, your not pack-mules. Enjoy your time together and most importantly, have fun on your magical adventure! =D
    First visit to a Disney Park was to Tokyo Disneyland in Oct, 2005. I was hooked! Was so blessed to visit Tokyo Disneyland and DisneySea in 2009, the original Disneyland and California Adventure in 2010, Tokyo Disneyland and DisneySea in 2011, and an incredible 5 night stay at Disneyland Paris in February 2013.

• Minion

Study the park maps and make sure you can find the baby care centers in each park.

Rider swap is only needed on rides with a height requirement.

Most people don't mind a crying baby on a flight if they can see that the parent is making some effort to soothe her.

Nurse her during takeoff and landing, the swallowing will allow her ears to adjust to the change in altitude. We took our then 6 mo old (now 10!) to wdw and she did just fine.. just remember to let her sleep when she needs it, keep her out of the sun (bring a nice floppy hat for her), be aware of temperature concerns, watch out for loud noises (fireworks, bands, etc), don't try to do everything, and take advantage of the kid swap feature. Just let a castmember know you want to swap and they will give you a fastpass for the other parent to ride without needing to wait in line again. Back when we went they would actually take you aside to a special area to wait and then let you straight on the ride, I much preferred that.. but the new system is better than nothing. Also familiarize yourself with the stroller folding function before you have to use it, and don't fill it up.. use a bag. Much easier than trying to fuss with a bunch of stuff shoved in the bottom when you have to board a bus. Consider tying a bandana or something to the handle.. makes it a lot easier to spot in stroller parking, especially since castmembers often will move the strollers around while you are gone. You might also consider a front pack if she is not too big, it will really save your arms vs. carrying her all the time. A large thin blanket and some clothes pins can be great to keep the sun off when she is in the stroller, just attach it to the visor on top and the tray or sides of the stroller on the bottom. Be sure to pack decongestant, tylenol, diaper rash ointment, gas drops, etc even if you don't think you will need them... better to be safe than sorry and much easier than trying to find a place to buy it in the middle of the night. Ditto with formula a diapers. If she is bottle fed consider the disposables with the inserts, so much easier when on the go.

• formerly very helpful

Bring a harness or something to help you hold the baby hands free. That way you can use the stroller to help you carry bags through the airport.
    Speaking of strollers, don't bring a really nice, expensive one. We learned the hard way that some people may want to "trade up", and end up with your nicer one, instead of the junky one they'll leave behind.
    If you're not opposed, renting a stroller isn't a bad way to do, since if anything happens to it, it isn't yours. Also, if you're using the bus transportation, it will be a LOT easier to travel that way without lugging a stroller, which your baby won't be allowed to be in during the bus ride, anyway.
    We traveled there with my son when he was 13 months. (I know, older than yours) Sitting in a Disney stroller was one of his favorite things, since it was different than what he's used to.
    If you choose to bring your own stroller, I'd suggest a cheap umbrella stroller. They're easy to collapse, and only about $15 or so.
    Also, be sure to use the baby centers in the parks. THey're wonderful for feeding, diaper changing, replacing some forgotten supplies, or just getting a break from the noise and commotion.
    And bring lots and LOTS of PATIENCE!!
    Good luck!

From experience both my wife and I say: do NOT take the infant with you. You will not enjoy WDW anywhere near as much as if just you and hubby were vacationing. Having an infant along is just far too much hassle and only impedes your progress thru the parks and, the bottom line is that the child at that age will not remember anything of the trip nor really realize what is going on anyway. For an enjoyable trip to WDW leave infants at home.

Yeah, this isn't helpful in any way. You may choose not to take infants, but they have, and that is what was asked about. Sure not taking an infant is the easier option, they make things a lot more complicated in travelling and touring, but they are sharing this trip with their daughter and will have their memories and experiences after they go. Banning kids from the Parks would make it a truly wonderful day for the visiting adult guests, but that is not what Disney Parks are about. Thanks for sharing your opinion, but it wasn't very helpful to this scenario.