Thread: WDW newbie...

WDW newbie...

I know you guys get a lot of questions from newbies here and I have already reviewed previous posts. I am planning a trip for later this, or maybe early next year. Instead of posting every question I have, can you guys just share with me some good resource info. Any good books or additional websites to review? I assume Birnbaums would be a good start, can you recommend any others?

• Former CM

Re: WDW newbie...

I would suggest getting the dining plan and check out allearsnet.com to see menus and make your reserveration for resturants as close to 180 days in advance as possible.

180 days in advance...really? What can't miss things should I look up? At DLR, I usually always hit up the Blue Bayou for a Monte Cristo and etc. What are WDW's can't miss things?

• Banned User

If you like the atmosphere of the Blue Bayou, WDW's version is a Mexican place called the San Angel Inn, which is inside Epcot. Same concept, just Mexican food and theming.

As for some don't miss places... well, it depends on what kind of food you like. I'd choose something in World Showcase, and I'd def. do a Character Dining Experience. There are so many places to eat in WDW, it's hard to give you a real choice. lol

• Former CM

I like Le Cellier in Epcot. When going last Dec I had to rearrage things just to go to specific resturants due to them booking up. When we were there Le Cellier was booked well into 06. Check out the menus on the site I gave above as they are of a great help. If you can also try the Luau at the Poly.

• Minion

I'm with Erick on this.

After adding up what we spent on food on past visits, we decided to go with the dining plan for our trip in Feb. Looks like a great value.

I'd also highly recommend checking out allearsnet.com. There's an amazing amount of information on that site, yet it's easy to navigate There's even current menus for every WDW restaurant! I spent a TON of time on that site planning the trip next month and got all the info I was looking for.

• I was deleted.

As for other restaurants you can always look into the Fantasmic dinner package at Disney-MGM Studios. In this you dine during certain hours at certain restaurants and then there are a few sections (not in the middle) that are saved for you. Then you only get there a half hour or so before the show at the latest and there's a decent place to sit. This is good to do if you're going during a busy season but it isn't always needed. It depends on how long you want to wait for the show as you could still dine at a restaurant at a time of your choosing and then go watch Fantasmic at a location you choose to sit in.

I really like the restaurants at the Disney-MGM Studios so if you have any questions, let me know. Last time I checked they were on a meal plan since they always asked me once I was seated at the table.

• The one, the only...

I used the Passporter on my trips to WDW. It is a good all around source. I would advise to plan, plan, and plan some more. All dining plans should be made WAY in advance with reservations at any places you might choose.

Make sure that you really create a good budget. It is very easy to go over your budget at WDW. If you plan well, then you probably won't. The dining plan is a good deal. I plan on doing it on my next trip.
    Jiminy Cricket Fan

Love Disneyland and Walt Disney World!

Cool, thanks for the help. I will look into the dining plan for sure.

Quote Originally Posted by erick13
    I like Le Cellier in Epcot. When going last Dec I had to rearrage things just to go to specific resturants due to them booking up. When we were there Le Cellier was booked well into 06. Check out the menus on the site I gave above as they are of a great help. If you can also try the Luau at the Poly.
    Le Cellier is an amazing dining experience. Incredible food. Amazing, yet intimate atmosphere. And the prices are still very reasonable, considering the near-perfect quality of everything. Zagat and AAA awards three years running.

•   
    • Chicago Gal

Blog Entries

A good website is wdwinfo.com. They have a lot of members and a lot of information. Pretty much anything you want to know about Disney World is discussed there.

I also recommend the Passporter, Birnbaum's book, The unofficial guide, and specific questions are usually answered quickly on MiceChat and also on wdwinfo.

May 11 - 16, 2015

• See you there!

Quote Originally Posted by Gothemi
    I know you guys get a lot of questions from newbies here and I have already reviewed previous posts. I am planning a trip for later this, or maybe early next year. Instead of posting every question I have, can you guys just share with me some good resource info. Any good books or additional websites to review? I assume Birnbaums would be a good start, can you recommend any others?
    Birnbaums is an excellent start (IMHO)
    Also for couples, check out Rick and Gayle Perlmutters Guide.
    For anyone, check out Passporters, a top rated guide.

I would not get one, I would get all three, when I am researching for a trip I usually get the above three, sometimes Bob Schillenger's (though I don't like his as well as the others)

Web Sites: CHeck our Deb Wills: allearsnet.com she has lots of good info, and a great menu resource.

Also, for live entertainment, check out Steve Soares site: http://pages.prodigy.net/stevesoares/

I think this should give you a good start for research. Going to WDW the first time (and second and third) can be very, very overwhelming. The more you know before you get there, the better.

IHTH

CU@DL

Andy

Cool, thanks for the help. I just picked up Birnbaums this morning.

• Where Schemes Come True!

Quote Originally Posted by Gothemi
    Cool, thanks for the help. I just picked up Birnbaums this morning.
    Yeah, I also picked up the Birnbaum guide and really love it (and allearsnet helped me get breakfast reservations for Cindy's).
    Many Bothans died to bring MiceChat this information.

I'm a Disney fan in Dollywood land!