Finally making my way to Disneyworld

I know that even with spending a week at Disney World there is no way I can see everything. I have been to the Disneyland Resort around 40-50 times. From browsing in the internet I have noticed there are some similar rides between both resort. Also the Magic Kingdom and Disneyland have some of the same attractions; some clones, similar, some major differences and some not found at DL resort.

My question is, what do you see as must see at the DisneyWorld. Things that I should not miss during the time I'm there. Including suggestions on Dinning, Shows ECT.

I value the micechatters opinions and know that I can get great advice here.

Thank You!

Re: Finally making my way to Disneyworld

Quote Originally Posted by Jungle Skipper View Post
    I know that even with spending a week at Disney World there is no way I can see everything. I have been to the Disneyland Resort around 40-50 times. From browsing in the internet I have noticed there are some similar rides between both resort. Also the Magic Kingdom and Disneyland have some of the same attractions; some clones, similar, some major differences and some not found at DL resort.

My question is, what do you see as must see at the DisneyWorld. Things that I should not miss during the time I'm there. Including suggestions on Dinning, Shows ECT.

I value the micechatters opinions and know that I can get great advice here.

Thank You!

I, like you, have been to Disneyland too many time to count and recently went to Walt Disney World and had a great time. You will find that WDW is very spread out. In terms of the actual number of attractions, there really aren't THAT many more attractions at WDW than Disneyland, but that are broken up between four different parks (Magic Kingdom, EPCOT, Animal Kingdom and Disney Hollywood Studios) compared to Disneyland where they are packed together in two adjacent parks. Personally, my favorite parks at WDW were Animal Kingdom and EPCOT because they were the most different than what you can find at Disneyland. Disney Hollywood Studios feels very similar to California Adventure and Magic Kingdom feels like a larger, more sterile, version of Disneyland. Also, most of the attractions at the Magic Kingdom are identical or not as good as the same attractions at Disneyland.

In terms of must do, I recommend the following attractions:

1. Animal Kingdom: Kilimanjaro Safari, Expedition Everest, Dinosaur, wildlife trails (one goes to a gorilla exhibit and the other goes to a tiger and giant bat exhibit) and Festival of the Lion King show.

2. EPCOT: In the Future World section, definitely check out Mission SPACE, Test Track and Spaceship Earth. In the World Showcase section, sample the different foods offered and, if you like drinking, try sampling the various drink specialties offered at each section. Not too many rides or great attractions in the World Showcase, but the Maelstrom ride (think Pirates of the Caribbean with a viking theme) in the Norway section and the Wonders of China movie (obviously in the China section) were interesting. At night, there is a good fireworks show called IllumiNations. Try to eat at one of the restaurants along the lake at night to get a good vantage point and pleasant meal. We enjoyed hanging out at the pub/restaurant at the United Kingdom section one night to watch the show.

3. Disney Hollywood Studios. While this is a very popular park at Walt Disney World, for Disneyland veterans it is probably less essential. The park, as a whole, has a feel like the Hollywood Boulevard section of California Adventure. For Disneyland vets, I highly recommend Rock n' Roller Coaster and don't miss Tower of Terror (it is better than California Adventure's version in my opinion).

4. Magic Kingdom. This is also another very popular park at Walt Disney World, but probably somewhat disappointing to Disneyland veterans. While the park is nicely laid out, has a bigger castle and is much more expansive than Disneyland, many of the actual attractions or either identical to Disneyland or not as good. Space Mountain is not as fast as the one at Disneyland and feels more like Disneyland's Matterhorn. Pirates of the Caribbean is shorter than Disneyland's version and lack the bayou theming at the beginning. The highlights of the Magic Kingdom to me were the Tomorrowland Transit Authority (it's what the "People Mover" is called there...and it is still running!!!), Mickey's Philharmagic (a cool 4-D show in Fantasyland) and the Monster's Inc. comedy club show in Tomorrowland (one of the few attractions at Magic Kingdom you can't find at Disneyland).

5. Check out the various hotels at WDW. As a whole, they blow away the on-site lodging at Disneyland Resort. There are so many of them and they each of unique theming. If you have the chance, definitely check out the Animal Kingdom Lodge at night. There is a cool African restaurant there and, if you go to the back, they have night vision binoculars for free to view some of the wildlife surrounding the lodge.

• Wished I lived closer!

I went to DW last June for 1 world wind crazy day. I was able to hit all the major rides in all 4 parks. I would agree with JackTwo with most of his suggestions. Rock N Roller Coaster is a MUST as is the Tower of Terror (MUCH better here than in DCA). Mission to Mars was incredible although it made me a bit sick...if you do it make sure you don't wimp out and take the "easy" ride. Go for the hardest level! Expedition Everest was so much fun and I was able to ride it 3 times in a row using the single rider line without hardly a wait. I was most disappointed with the Magic Kingdom. However, there are a few rides that I thought were much better than at DL including BTMR, the Haunted Mansion and the Jungle Cruise. Don't me wrong, I still liked the MK but once you've been to DL I just don't think it adds up to the nostalgia and history. Have fun!

Thank you!!!! ill be sure to take a look at what was mentioned above

I personally like the WDW SM better.
    Thunder Mountain is awesome there too! Really like them both.
    Their tree house still has the Robinsons in it!
    Jungle cruise has the temple scene that DL does not
    Their Small World is odd to me, since the Facade is inside, while ours is out. BUT there set pieces are flooded, DL is a trough.
    Buzz Lightyear the guns are fixed on the car, you cant pick them up
    HM has a few scenes DL does not
    Make SURE to go into the temple in Mexico in Epcot.

There is a TON of other stuff, and a week will not cut it. I spent the same amount of time there, and did not see everything, but I did not intend to. Take it easy and enjoy, don't try to rush to see it all!

• formerly very helpful

I'd say see EVERYTHING. Yes, that's not really realistic, but I've found that even the rides that Disneyland shares with WDW are different. It's really fun to try and spot the differences. If you're that familiar with Disneyland, it's almost refreshing to be in a Disney park that you don't know so well. Hopefully you'll have enough time to really discover everything. If you can, take it slow. THere's a lot to experience. Also, what we don't have here is all the them hotels, and the water parks. They're worth your time.

Do not miss the The American Adventure show at the American pavillion at Epcot's World Showcase.
    Permanecer sentado por favor...

• Waiting for my E-Ticket

Hanging out at The Attic with Johnny Dakota

Shouldn't this thread be in the WDW forum instead of the Disneyland one?

Quote Originally Posted by aimster View Post
    Shouldn't this thread be in the WDW forum instead of the Disneyland one?
    I think he is asking DL people because he wants to get it from their POV. That way he can weed out the differences and similarities. You can't get that from asking people who only know WDW.

As for me, here are some pointers:

Don't miss: Haunted Mansion, Hall of Prez, Winnie the Pooh (MUCH better ride in WDW), Mission Space, World Showcase.

Disneyland - 1982 to Present
    Walt Disney World - 1996, 2011
    Tokyo Disney Resort - 2013
    Hong Kong Disneyland - 2013

• formerly very helpful

Quote Originally Posted by mickeyandme67 View Post
    Do not miss the The American Adventure show at the American pavillion at Epcot's World Showcase.
    Yes! X100!

• Nerd.

Check out this thread and the links within. Very helpful.
    A DLR Guide for WDW Vets

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • is in Antarctica

Make sure you see Universal Studios and Islands of Adventure! lol
    Get the latest and greatest theme park news by