Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

• Dreams do come true

Disney property vs. Doubletree near Downtown Disney

I need your advice... my fiance and I are going to WDW for our honeymoon this November 9th-14th. We already have the DoubleTree booked near downtown Disney but I;m wondering if we should splurge and stay at a Disney property. So let me take you through the pros and cons Im facing.

DoubeTree:
    Pros
    - cheap & I mean cheap, I'm a Hilton employee so I'm getting the entire 5 night stay for $200
    free breakfast vouchers
    by that time they will have newly renovated rooms
    Park shuttles
    all suites, even though it's just the two of us
    Cons- No airport shuttle, and we're not renting a car...facing a $50 cab ride?
    a bit far from the parks and it's been reviewed that the shuttle takes 30 mins to get to parks
    although it comes with a breakfast we plan on trying some of the recommended spots at the parks and D resorts

Disney Resort...leaning towards caribbean beach resort
    Pros- shuttle from airport to the hotel
    staying near the parks with direct shuttle service
    staying in the "disney" theme...we are getting married at Disneyland and after WDW we're going on the Disney Cruise
    having merch sent staight to the hotel
    Cons-The price omg the price, for the entire 5 nights we're looking at a $1000 for the Caribbean Beach Resort
    The rooms look a bit dated but to be honest we'll only be in them to sleep

really looking at both I know which option looks better but I really would like your opinon for we have never been to WDW.

Re: Disney property vs. Doubletree near Downtown Disney

Isn't the Doubletree on Hotel Plaza Boulevard? It's right next to Downtown Disney and isn't very far from the parks. If the shuttle takes 30 minutes, then it's pretty much the same as regular Disney transport.

I stayed at the Wyndham (used to be called regal sun) across the street and I was quite impressed with the location.
    DisneyTwins
    Since May 2003

• Dreams do come true

@Disneytwins yup thats the one, they run an hour before the park opens and closes which is nice

• New Member Goes Forth

DoubleTrees, as my parents can use the HHonars card!
    The new Star Wars plot summery:

Episode 7: Luke discovers that Darth Vader is not his father, and goes on a search for his real father

Episode 8: Darth Vader is resurrected and goes on Jerry Springer, claiming he is Luke and Leia's father

Episode 9: Princes Leia is not Luke's sister, making him furious (we all know why...).

I used to be a big on-site fan due to the whole "immersion in Disney", but since the CMs don't give a **** about Show anymore, they end up destroying that immersion anyway at every opportunity, so there's not really and added value for the 200 - 500 dollars a day you spend for it.

• East Coast Disneylander

We've stayed at the DoubleTree several times. The hotel is very nice, and with a family it's great to have the ability to close off the living room from the master. I will say, though, that it is at the end of Hotel Blvd. As such, a walk from DTD is quite a hike--especially after a long day of walking all over WDW. The buses are good in the morning; though, they can get crowded depending on your departure time. The same is sometimes true in the evenings. My biggest complaint about the bus service is that it seems to take much longer to get anywhere (because of the extra stops at other hotels), and during the day the service isn't as frequent as what you'd get staying on property. However, if you're an "in the parks all day, I'm not going back to the room for anything" type of guest, then it's not a problem. Overall, for that kind of price, I'd stay there (even better, though, would be the DTD Hilton).

• Nerd.

While I love staying at a Disney hotel, the price for the DT can't be beat. I would so do that. Then you have extra $ towards meals, shopping, and experiences if you so choose.

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • is in Antarctica

Stay at the DoubleTree.
    Get the latest and greatest theme park news by

• former CM

Quote Originally Posted by KingEric View Post
    Stay at the DoubleTree.
    With what you wrote, I agree with DoubleTree. Call them and ask for transportation suggestions.

Most of the Hotels on Hotel Plaza Boulevard a nice and quite close for the money.
    DisneyTwins
    Since May 2003

Just go ahead and rent a car, too. With the savings on rooms, and the low rates in Orlando, you're way ahead even with parking fees.

Quote Originally Posted by tahoe9813 View Post
    We've stayed at the DoubleTree several times. The hotel is very nice, and with a family it's great to have the ability to close off the living room from the master. I will say, though, that it is at the end of Hotel Blvd. As such, a walk from DTD is quite a hike--especially after a long day of walking all over WDW. The buses are good in the morning; though, they can get crowded depending on your departure time. The same is sometimes true in the evenings. My biggest complaint about the bus service is that it seems to take much longer to get anywhere (because of the extra stops at other hotels), and during the day the service isn't as frequent as what you'd get staying on property. However, if you're an "in the parks all day, I'm not going back to the room for anything" type of guest, then it's not a problem. Overall, for that kind of price, I'd stay there (even better, though, would be the DTD Hilton).
    id agree if you can go with the Hilton. You can walk to downtown Disney & it's a lovely resort. For getting to the parks you can even walk to DTD and get a bus to a local resort - it's a nice way to arrive at MK by walking from the Contempoary or the launch from the Polynesian or using international gateway at Epcot.

Whereever you go I hope you have a great honeymoon and many happy years ahead

• Waiting for my E-Ticket

Hanging out at The Attic with Johnny Dakota

I haven't stayed at the DoubleTree, but I've stayed at the Royal Plaza, Hilton and Wyndham (years ago when it was the Grosvenor) on Hotel Plaza Blvd. All of them were nice. Plus the DTD hotels have their own dedicated busses to take them to the parks now. And you can just walk to DTD since it's right there.

These days though, I pretty much exclusively stay at the Clarion Inn on Palm Parkway. It's cheap, the rooms are clean, the beds are comfy and the hotel staff is friendly. It's perfect if you're pretty much only planning on being in the room to sleep. They're also a Disney Good Neighbor Hotel. They have a shuttle that takes you to the various parks, but the schedule is kind of wonky. I just take my own car. I've been staying there for years and even signed up for the Choice Privileges rewards program so I can earn points to use for free nights. The nice thing about hotels in the Choice Hotels chain is you don't need a bazillion points for a free night.

• Dreams do come true

Thank you for all the advice, we have some serious thinking to do. Good thing is both choices will have a good outcome just a huge money difference

Taking into consideration the cab to and from airport. Hassle (perhaps?) of Doubletree bus system etc. What about one of the Value Resorts. I know they always run specials and that's a slower week right before Thanksgiving. Right now a Value Resort would be $576 (without tax) through Disney. But I'm sure you know this Prob shave a bit off that through one of the travel sites.

We just stayed in Disney Nov 13-22. Was terribly busy from Thanksgiving on but before not bad.

With that being said 5 nights for $200? Wow. Tough one to beat and I love staying on Disney prop. But for years my wife and I stayed at the Marriott Residence Inn on Westwood Blvd near SeaWorld. When it was $79 for a one bedroom suite with full kitchen. Now it's priced like Caribbean Beach, at times a bit more.

And you can get an economy car fairly cheap if you go the DT route.

Good luck. Trying to figure out where you are going to stay at Disney is a mice, nice problem to have
    Last edited by Dave D; 04-23-2013 at 01:51 PM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast