Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

• New Member Goes Forth

Re: Sorcerer Hat to be Gone by the end of 2013?

Quote Originally Posted by KingEric View Post
    We should do a flash mob "Ding Dong the Hat is DEAD!"
    Great idea
    The new Star Wars plot summery:

Episode 7: Luke discovers that Darth Vader is not his father, and goes on a search for his real father

Episode 8: Darth Vader is resurrected and goes on Jerry Springer, claiming he is Luke and Leia's father

Episode 9: Princes Leia is not Luke's sister, making him furious (we all know why...).

• Roller coaster enthusiast

I do hope it goes to DCA instead of being scrapped. Afterall, we did take your MSEP, we can even throw in the Pixar Pals Countown to Fun parade if you want it.
    Current coaster count: 166
    100th coaster: Phantom's Revenge at Kennywood
    150th coaster: Intimidator at Carowinds
    last new park addition: Six Flags over Georgia

• Filmmaker

Quote Originally Posted by Coasterjunkie View Post
    I do hope it goes to DCA instead of being scrapped. Afterall, we did take your MSEP, we can even throw in the Pixar Pals Countown to Fun parade if you want it.
    I think we're okay, we just got done fixing our park. Thanks for the offer though

Quote Originally Posted by californiaadventurer View Post
    this thing is going to look hideous in front of stamos' house.
    lol!!!!!!!

I think it could be a cool entrance for the car park. Where MK has a well known entrance to the parking lot, this could be a cool way to enter the parking lot at DHS. Have the parking attendants collect the parking tolls under it as you drive in. Would create a very memorable entrance experience but it wouldnt be intrusive to the park itself.
    This. Yes.

Quote Originally Posted by Bill View Post
    Not at all true... though I can't really blame you because that's what marketing convinced the public.

The real story goes something like this:

WDI insisted upon building the BAH as a permanent replacement for the Chinese Theater icon. They wanted an icon at the center of the park, as the water tower was designed as a billboard and never meant to serve as the park's icon. The BAH was only approved because WDI convinced everyone else that it was going to be a double ferris wheel. (One for each ear) The other departments signed off on it, and it got built to be the new icon for the park, tied in with the 100 Years of Magic Celebration for marketing purposes only. It was always budgeted to be there much longer. Merchandise does NOT think it is more marketable. Marketing thinks that. Meanwhile, pretty much anyone who supported the hat is gone from WDI or has changed their opinion, and they now want to tear the thing down.
    I had heard something of this line but I read some interesting thoughts as well.
    The park had used the water tower as the DisneyMGM center piece, so to speak or as MASCOT from the opening. But somewhere I read that they wanted a center piece, like the castle at the Magic Kingdom, to be a park reference and to be similar to the other park. It may have tied in to the 100 years of magic, be I can't tell you of a single person that liked that thing. It could obviously stand for a long time, you don't building something that big in a windy state and build it flimsy.
    The problem with putting that big thing in front of Grumans, is it does not look right. It just does not seem to fit the scene. Where the Castle and Epcots Spaceship Earth were built in, This was a new creation that had no place to go.
    I don't know where it could look like it belongs anywhere in the DisneyMGM area but it might look ok in front of the ticket area. Put it high enough so guests can walk under it and enjoy the shade as they approach the ticket booths. Possibly put another trinket store under it. At least it won't be a total loss and it can remain the mascot for DisneyMGM studios.
    I agree, it would be nice to get it out of the park.

• Future Imagineer

Quote Originally Posted by Illusion0fLife View Post
    I think we're okay, we just got done fixing our park. Thanks for the offer though
    Don't forget:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1nU8DlFuE_Y

• Circle of Ancients

Blog Entries

This is like holding on to old clothes that don't fit, toys your kids don't play with, or ugly nicknacks you keep in a box. Except it was always an ugly gift.

• Metro-Retro Historian

It's metal right? Maybe they can use it to build new 20,000 Leagues Under the Sea subs for Animal Kingdom.

Is it telling that both of my suggestions make no attempt to keep it in hat form and just treat it as a big piece of scrap?
    It bothers me when people selectively edit quotes to support whatever point they are trying to prove.

• Circle of Ancients

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Dapper Dan View Post
    It's metal right? Maybe they can use it to build new 20,000 Leagues Under the Sea subs for Animal Kingdom.

Is it telling that both of my suggestions make no attempt to keep it in hat form and just treat it as a big piece of scrap?
    Yes, because those who want to 'repurpose it' are just ginormous hoarders

just move it to the area where the christmas tree now goes and you have fixed the problem.

• враг народа

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by princecharming View Post
    just move it to the area where the christmas tree now goes and you have fixed the problem.
    Except that it still clashes with the surrounding architecture and just looms over the opposite end of Hollywood Blvd.

• Circle of Ancients

Blog Entries

It's like Grandma's fruit cake, nobody wants it but people feel bad throwing it away.

I don't feel bad!!!

• Nutty about Disney parks

Quote Originally Posted by lazyboy97O View Post
    What's the Fantasia Pool?
    It's a pool located in the Fantasia section of the All-Stars Movies resort.

Quote Originally Posted by CaliforniaAdventurer View Post
    It's like Grandma's fruit cake, nobody wants it but people feel bad throwing it away.

I don't feel bad!!!
    Neither will I.

Also I think removing the hat might help raise attendance for the Great Movie Ride. You wouldn't even know there was an iconic structure behind that pin store, let alone a ride.

• Circle of Ancients

Blog Entries

Re: What is the issue with the Mickey Sorcerer's Hat at Disney Hollywood Studios?

04-05-2012, 04:05 PM

[
    Quote Originally Posted by [URL="http://micechat.com/forums/members/dancinbelle.html"
    DancinBelle[/URL]]]
    The original Chinese Theater in California was sold from one company to another, and the new company did not want to continue the contract with Disney, so instead of tearing down their main Attraction, Disney chose to create a new icon for the park. The Hat is placed directly in front of the Chinese Theater, so it is now very difficult to get a picture of the Theater. This was also the point in time that they were required to stop doing the celebrity hand-print ceremonies in the courtyard. The Hat is at the end of Hollywood Boulevard, so it's like if something was placed in front of Cinderella Castle, and you could see it from the end of Main Street. The Hat currently houses a pin store, which is kind of a sad use of the space. Good news for Disney fans though, because the original company bought back the Chinese Theater, and is considering renewing the original contract, making the Theater the icon once again and returning the hand-print ceremony rights to the Great Movie Ride. If it goes through, I have no doubt Imagineering will happily rip down the Hat. If you look closely at the park maps for DHS, the hat covers the theater.
    What is the issue with the Mickey Sorcerer's Hat at Disney Hollywood Studios?

I'm not sure how accurate this is. I know the Chinese has new owners and didn't revert to their old owners.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast