What needs to be done in Carousel of Progress?

I read that apparently in May, Carousel of Progress is going to be closed for a very short refurbishment. Unfortunately, since it's only a few days, it really is a short refurbishment as they stated.

However, does anyone agree that they really need to do a big refurbishment, like change the last scene for example? Almost every decade since it came out it has had a big refurbishment with changing the last scene. The last time that was done was in the 90's and they didn't even change it in the 2010's.

I'm sure this topic might have been discussed to death, but I'm curious as to what people think needs to be really done and what needs to change. Just curious to know peoples ideas.

• former CM

Re: What needs to be done in Carousel of Progress?

The (Tony) Stark Family Carousel of Progress.

Or a family staying at WDW in 1971, then 1986, then 2001, then either today or in the future. Each scene could be a different nice hotel room. First the Contemporary. Have this sponsored by Apple.

--Tom Sinsky

• 1,200 Miles from da Mouse

I doubt Apple would sponsor such a thing, but it is a decent idea IMO...

The last scene needs to be refreshed badly in any case that you make, maybe add another scene on top of that one showing late 90s/early 00s and then the future
    The test of success is not what you do when you are on top. Success is how high you bounce when you hit bottom.
    -George S. Patton

• Disneyland 19 year APH

give it back to Disneyland, we would take care of it.
    Check out my work on openstreetmap.org
    http://www.openstreetmap.org/?lat=33...om=17&layers=M

•   
    • Circle of Ancients

Theme it to Family Guy. The Family Guy Carousel of Progress.
    -Bill

The Family Guy idea is -- at least -- novel, and should be considered.

That said, what Disney should do is -- in secret -- develop a 'drop in' replacement using beyond-state-of-the-art solid 3d holograms. Then announce a 48 hour closure, and open it up without saying a word.

Once the public freaks out about it, just release a one page press release saying, "This is who we are, what's the surprise?"

The benefit, of course, is that Disney regains some credibility as a leader, and since it's all digital, UPDATING IT IS TRIVIAL.

• Minion

I wouldn't change the last scene if I was in charge - as it is now, it encapsulates the twentieth century, and that seems a lot nicer and neater to me than havingn an eighty-year gap between the third and fourth scenes, only to widen it to a ninety- and one hundred-year gap down the road. As it is now, it's the history of progress in one of the most amazing eras of technological advancement in history.

That said, it could use some cosmetic refurbishment. New carpets and upholstery in the theaters, or at least a deep cleaning, would be very welcome, as well as a paint job. Some of the AA's could use a little sprucing up, as well.

•   
    • Circle of Ancients

Quote Originally Posted by mikelieman View Post
    The Family Guy idea is -- at least -- novel, and should be considered.
    Ha ha ha ha. I meant it as a joke. But the more I think about it... having Peter tell you the story... Brian is the dog... Meg and Chris as the kids, maybe add in Stewie as a younger son... Replace Old Uncle Orville with Mr. Herbert... Oh geez, this works all too well.

Hmmm....

From outside of the window, a car horn blows. Peter seems to smile at the sound.
    PETER: Ha ha ha. There goes Quagmire in his hump mobile. He sure loves that horn. You know, in my new Essex, I've got an electric starter! Now I don't have to turn that little handle thingy. We can travel from Rohde Island to Hollywood by choo choo train only three days. Now we've got a house full of new electrical servants. John Cleese sure added life to our home.
    BRYAN: Peter, you mean Thomas Edison. John Cleese is an English Actor who hasn't been born yet.

Suddenly, silly, hyper music comes on and all of the 'electrical servants' start going crazy. The vacuum moves crazily, the oven and refrigerator doors open and close quickly, and lights flicker on and off.
    PETER: (To machines.) Whoa there! I'm scared! How are they all moving like that?!
    As if on que, the lights go out, and all of the machines die. The stage is dark. Only the city lights outside the windows are bright.
    PETER: It's dark. I'm scared.
    BRYAN: It's probably just a fuse Peter, they go out all the...

Suddenly the lights outside the windows go dark as well.
    PETER: A fuse? I knew that. And I've blown the whole neighborhood again too! Whoops...(He sounds as if he finds a strange amusement in his deed.)
    MAYOR WEST OUTSIDE OF WINDOW: Oh! He did it again did he! It's a damn good thing I've been practicing living in cave man times before the discovery of fire.
    BRYAN growls, preparing to come to the aid of his master.
    PETER: Easy Brian, the mayor is "special." (Directed to off stage.) Meg! Hurry up with that fuse!
    We hear the crunching of gravel as Meg walks around in the back yard trying to find the fuse box.
    MEG: (Heard off stage.) Shucks. Every time he has company, he blows a fuse. And guess who always has to change it.
    PETER: Shut up Meg!
    We hear a clunk, and suddenly the lights are back on. We see now that the right diorama has opened up to reveal Lois sitting on the front porch, sewing a costume of some sort.
    Lois: Oh, thank God we have light again. Peter, yours is the last costume I've got to finish before the parade starts.

As strange as it is, I think it actually works... LOL
    -Bill

• Filmmaker

In my opinion, the best way to fix Carousel of Progress is to take it back to 1964. Continually updating the final act is admirable but... probelmatic. For one, the future always catches up more quickly than you expect and things look corny and quaint in too short a time to be feasable. There's also the issue that each act moves forward by twenty years, then the final act has a 70 year jump. It's awkward and ill-fitting.

Reinstating the 1964 version (minus some of the more cringe-worthy plugs for GE) would solve this problem by having both the appropriate 20-year jump and have a tone that is a nostalgic look at the future of the past rather than something that is both dated and ill-fitting for the nature of the attraction.

Also, Progress City needs to go back in the Carousel theater. Reinstate the final act with the speedramp to Progress City. The whole attraction builds to that final act, and without it the show loses impact.

In my opinion the original Carousel of Progress is an attraction that needs to be preserved. It's place in Disney history is as important as The Enchanted Tiki Room, It's a Small World, Great Moments with Mr. Lincoln, and Pirates of the Caribbean. The original show should exist permanently somewhere, and I would love to see Walt Disney World revitilize it. Their Tomorrowland is intended to be retro-futuristic anyway, so going back to 1964 is appropriate.

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • is in Antarctica

I wish there was simply a place to put old attractions that are "favorites" but really don't belong any more.
    Get the latest and greatest theme park news by

• Nutty about Disney parks

Since it is not possible to expand the rooms perhaps stagger the decades. Keep the 1900s but then skip to the 1940s and then to the 1980s and then do a new future scene. Of course this brings up the question of what happens when the 2020s become out of date.
    Toonaspie: I have Asperger's. I like cartoons. Toonaspie!

Yeah, maybe something in the early 1900's, in the mid-1900's, the end of the century (1980-1990's), and the future? Maybe the idea of the future like Horizons? Where it's like way out there?

However, I doubt that Disney would pump that much money into the ride at this point unless it got another sponsor. That would require a lot of work.

I'd say the idea of spreading out the decades, or restore it to what it originally was like Illusion0fLife suggested.

I love the idea of restoring to 1964 and bringing back progress city but I'd COP to Epcot and make it part of a futurism pavillion - kind of like a horizons. I think wonders of life would be a great building to house this