Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Is all this "Monsters" stuff over kill?

The way that they're advertising Monsters Inc. on the monorail was done nicely, not too cheesy.

But now announcing this 24 hour event with Mike Wazowski and talk of re-theming some places to go with the Monsters theme and for meet and greets during this event. All this for Monsters Inc? Is it a little too much for one film, or is it just me?

• formerly very helpful

Re: Is all this "Monsters" stuff over kill?

It's not just you. It IS overkill. But basically that's Disney's MO now adays, so par for the course.

• MiceChat Moderator
    • Starcruiser.. crash crash

I don't think it's overkill. It's all temporary and all in good fun. I'm glad they're doing something rather than nothing at all. Remember when Mulan came out? There was an ENTIRE PARADE for it. WHOAAAAA. And Pocahontas had her own stage show!

I can understand how annoying it could be if you're not a fan of Monsters, Inc, etc... but.. this is great. It does seem more than usual though, but, I think because this is now a franchise, they KNOW how popular it will be.

Visit my mice chat toy shop!
    http://micechat.com/forums/merchandi...oy-shoppe.html

Track Disney Animation Presence in the Theme Parks Worldwide!
    http://micechat.com/forums/disneylan...ired-them.html

• Minion

ORDDU: I don't think it's over-kill either because Disney SHOULD do whatever it can to promote their latest movies and attractions. For some reason, certain of us have become so jaded over the years that we act overly suspcious of everything Disney does these days. I say sit back, relax and just let yourself enjoy the Disney parks and movies.

Quote Originally Posted by Witches of Morva View Post
    ORDDU: I don't think it's over-kill either because Disney SHOULD do whatever it can to promote their latest movies and attractions. For some reason, certain of us have become so jaded over the years that we act overly suspcious of everything Disney does these days. I say sit back, relax and just let yourself enjoy the Disney parks and movies.
    What she said !! ^^^^

• Circle of Ancients

Blog Entries

If by "all this" you mean the summer publicity, perhaps, if you mean a "Monstropolis Mini Land", then yes.

As long as Disney does not build semi-permanent giant monster arms towering over the Tree of Life, Sleeping Beauty Castle, or any other park icon; I think we are fine.

• New Member Goes Forth

Hopefully, the film will be as good as the original, but if it is not, then Disney marketing has gone overboard.
    The new Star Wars plot summery:

Episode 7: Luke discovers that Darth Vader is not his father, and goes on a search for his real father

Episode 8: Darth Vader is resurrected and goes on Jerry Springer, claiming he is Luke and Leia's father

Episode 9: Princes Leia is not Luke's sister, making him furious (we all know why...).

• Nutty about Disney parks

Quote Originally Posted by Coheteboy View Post
    I don't think it's overkill. It's all temporary and all in good fun. I'm glad they're doing something rather than nothing at all. Remember when Mulan came out? There was an ENTIRE PARADE for it. WHOAAAAA. And Pocahontas had her own stage show!

I can understand how annoying it could be if you're not a fan of Monsters, Inc, etc... but.. this is great. It does seem more than usual though, but, I think because this is now a franchise, they KNOW how popular it will be.
    Quote Originally Posted by Witches of Morva View Post
    My only issue is that most of the promotion these days seems to be going to Pixar films or live action films. Disney animated films don't get the kind of promotion or attention they once had in the parks unless it's part of their Disney Princess line. Tangled and Wreck-It-Ralph seemed underpromoted in comparison to the latest Pixar film these days. The other interesting thing is as far as Pixar films there wasn't much park promotion for Brave that I knew of outside of meet-n-greets. One must wonder if this was because it was a new film and not a sequel to an already successful film franchise (like Cars, Toy Story, Monsters Inc).
    Toonaspie: I have Asperger's. I like cartoons. Toonaspie!

• MiceChat Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by toonaspie View Post
    My only issue is that most of the promotion these days seems to be going to Pixar films or live action films. Disney animated films don't get the kind of promotion or attention they once had in the parks unless it's part of their Disney Princess line. Tangled and Wreck-It-Ralph seemed underpromoted in comparison to the latest Pixar film these days. The other interesting thing is as far as Pixar films there wasn't much park promotion for Brave that I knew of outside of meet-n-greets. One must wonder if this was because it was a new film and not a sequel to an already successful film franchise (like Cars, Toy Story, Monsters Inc).

I can't speak for Walt Disney World since I refuse to return until they step up their game, but here's the promotions done for the recent slate of Disney films at Disneyland:

3D previews for:
    -Tron Legacy
    -Frankenweenie
    -Oz The Great and Powerful

Meet & Greets for:
    -Winnie the Pooh (permanent more or less so it doesn't count)
    -Princess and the Frog
    -Cars 2 (same as Cars 1 though)
    -Brave
    -Tangled (in a more permanent location in Fantasyland at the time)
    -Wreck it Ralph

Exhibits for:
    -Frankenweenie
    -Iron Man 3

Shows for:
    -Princess and the Frog (Tiana's Showboat Jubiliee)

Other for:
    -Tron Legacy (ElecTRONica night time party that lasted long after it was meant to go)
    -Brave (World of Color added segment)

So, perhaps they're stepping it up for Monsters University since it will have an upgraded parade float and a meet & greet area, and perhaps a temporary show. But that's pretty much it. It doesn't seem overboard to me.

I do enjoy Monsters Inc. and it wasn't just the summer promotion, but everything. I know in the past they have created shows for upcoming films, meet and greets, exhibitions, and what not in the past, but it seems as if they're doing so much for Monsters Inc. compared to a few other films that were just previously mentioned. Hopefully, the next Monsters Inc. will be just as good as the first.

• MiceChat Moderator

You guys wouldn't think they were going overboard with Tron Legacy would you? There was Tronorail in Florida and an entire night time take-over of an entire land in California.

I think Disney is just doing what makes sense. I don't see anything that's way out there from what they've been doing in the past. It's just a meet and greet!
    Last edited by Coheteboy; 04-29-2013 at 01:31 PM.

I LOVED the illumination on the Spaceship Earth! I thought it was sooo cool!

• 1,200 Miles from da Mouse

I think it's pretty neat, helps keep a fresh face on the monorails...as long as it's done tastefully I don't mind it...

Is the Monsters monorail and the Iron Man monrail going around at the same time? and I'm assuming they have them on serperate loops to maximise the advertising miles?
    The test of success is not what you do when you are on top. Success is how high you bounce when you hit bottom.
    -George S. Patton

• Metro-Retro Historian

If only they put as much energy toward their parks as they did toward promoting their movies at their parks.
    It bothers me when people selectively edit quotes to support whatever point they are trying to prove.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast