• Nutty about Disney parks

Comparisons between versions of Journey into Imagination

I'm not too familiar with the past versions of Journey Into Imagination, only the current one. I tried watching the videos to figure out what makes the original so good as people claim but because of the 80s video quality, I can't make end or tail of what is happening in the videos available on Youtube. The details in the Wikipedia article are too confusing for me.

So can someone explain to me the details regarding the different versions of Journey? I know that there is one version without Figment and the first version is the only one with the Dreamfinder, I take it? Was the structure or setup of the ride always the same or was it altered with different versions?

• Waiting for my E-Ticket

Hanging out at The Attic with Johnny Dakota

Re: Comparisons between versions of Journey into Imagination

Maybe this video will help. It's decent quality and gives the history of the original ride as well.

This one gives the history of what changed when the original version of the ride closed:

Imagination 1999 and 2002 – Ultimate Tribute - Martin's Videos

Hope these answer your questions!

• Metro-Retro Historian

It's also important to note that the original attraction was made in the days before every ride had to be a linear narrative. It isn't. There's no story in by way of a plot progressing from point A to point B. The whole thing is much more abstract but it does explain the creative process. The fact that the old version is actually about imagination and later versions are about the senses alone makes it by far the superior attraction. At least it covers the right subject.

The opening scene is when our minds gather information. Dreamfinder flies around gathering sounds, colors, ideas, and other "sparks". He then demonstrates how these fragmented ideas can be combined to create something new by creating Figment. Once figment fills the idea bag they have to store all the new ideas in the Dream Port where they can be combined with other ideas to make new things.

Once we hit the Dream Port, we are about halfway through the ride and the closest thing the attraction has to a narrative is now essentially over. What's left is that the ride now goes through various mediums of expression to show how the ideas we've gathered and stored can recombined to make something new. In order we pass through visual arts, literature, the performing arts of theatre and music, science, and finally film. Kodak was the sponsor after all. When you leave the ride you are invited to explore your own creativity in the real upstairs Imageworks.

The ride had a lot of effects as the video in Aimsters post explains. For its time it was also incredibly advanced. Let's remember that this was back before digital projectors and flat panel monitors even existed so all the film projections came from old school reels of actual film. Holograms and laser images were also cutting edge and the picture of your ride vehicle at the end is very likely the first ever on ride photo. The technical side of it was as imaginative as the subject matter.
    It bothers me when people selectively edit quotes to support whatever point they are trying to prove.

• Nutty about Disney parks

^^ Oh wow! After watching those two videos I am floored at the massive difference between the original and the two versions that came after.

And yeah, I have to agree that I kinda prefer the original version out of the three. The fact that is a more fantasy-like whimsical approach made it more a unique and refreshing pavilion compared to all of the scientific/educational pavilions in Future World. The future doesn't have to be all about science.

I also have to agree that the change of the entire pavilion into a science lab of sorts was a huge misstep and kinda deters away from the original message behind "Imagination" which I found to be more inspirational than a lecture about using the five senses.

That's not to say that the original was mind blowing. From what I saw in the video, I did enjoy the first segment with the Dreamfinder. The rest of it did seem kinda gloomy and slow moving but then again I never experienced the actual ride. But to think what could be done with the ride today with the current technology in place should they ever try to bring back the original concept of the ride. Future World is severely lacking in family-friendly must-dos. This could be a great attraction for testing the latest dark ride technology. It is all about Imagination after all.

• Heavy Breather

The originalfrom what I've seen in videos) Beautiful, colorful, a masterpiece.
    JIYI: Next to Superstar Limo, the worst attraction ever conceived by WDI
    JIIWF: Same as JIYI, except this time; it's loud, obnoxious, and smelly.

• formerly very helpful

In essence, they tore down a classical, finely crafted mansion and put up a 7-Eleven.

There's no comparisson between the original and the abominations that followed.

• Banned User

Imagination Pavilion, Walt Disney World, EPCOT Center

They need to bring back the original version!!! A modernized versi

• Banned User

Imagination Pavilion, Walt Disney World, EPCOT Center

A modernized version of the original from 1983!!!

• Waiting for my E-Ticket

Hanging out at The Attic with Johnny Dakota

I would love to see an updated version of the original or something more inspired by the original. Now that Kodak no longer sponsors the pavilion, I think it could be possible. Give it another massive overhaul, bring back the open and airy atrium (I miss the old blue and purple color scheme so much), re-open the Image Works upstairs...

I've mentioned this in other threads but no one ever seems to remember. When Disney brought Captain EO back to Epcot in 2010, some Imagineers were interviewed by the various Disney blogs at the grand re-opening. The Imagineers were asked about the Imagination ride and they said they had BIG plans for that part of the pavilion, but were not at liberty to say just what those plans were. They're probably still waiting to get those plans green-lighted and I am very curious to see what they have planned.

• formerly very helpful

I just watched this video several times since yesterday. It really brought me back. Very bitter sweet.