Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

• Circle of Ancients

Blog Entries

Re: Member of LGBT working at Disney {Dresscode Question}

Hi Betty, you'll be playing Monstro the whale. Please go to costuming so we can fit you.

I can't help but chime in on this. I'm gay, and have lots of respect for someone who's young and aware of their sexual identity. However ... don't let it define you. If you are a female or a male and you are asked, for whatever reason, to wear gender-appropriate clothes by an employer, a school or even your family, don't let your own identity get in the way. We are all asked to conform to certain standards every day of our lives; it does not redefine or change who we are. It simply indicates that there are places where it's acceptable to show your individuality (whatever it may be) and places where it's not.

I fear we've become a society accustomed to getting our way. Increasingly, we ask the world to bend to our needs, not vice-versa.

If your dream is to work at Walt Disney World, why sabotage your own dream by deciding in advance that wearing a certain costume is going to be problematic to your own ideals? Which is more important -- your SENSE of self and your awareness of your dreams, or the way people PERCEIVE you?

Even Walt Disney himself had many sides of his personality that he didn't always let show in public. There is a time and a place where it's appropriate to let the world know who you are. There is a time and a place where it's appropriate to blend in for the common good (in this case, doing a job or "putting on a show"). It's one of life's important lessons: Achieving your dreams sometimes takes a bit of compromise.

I hope you will still pursue your job aspirations, and I hope that if you are successful you will realize that you can still be who you are inside even if you show a different side of yourself on the outside.

• Circle of Ancients

Blog Entries

Plus it's a myth that being a member of the LBGT community means you have a desire to cross dress. A minority of this minority community has any interest in gender bending.

Quote Originally Posted by EC82 View Post
    I can't help but chime in on this. I'm gay, and have lots of respect for someone who's young and aware of their sexual identity. However ... don't let it define you. If you are a female or a male and you are asked, for whatever reason, to wear gender-appropriate clothes by an employer, a school or even your family, don't let your own identity get in the way. We are all asked to conform to certain standards every day of our lives; it does not redefine or change who we are. It simply indicates that there are places where it's acceptable to show your individuality (whatever it may be) and places where it's not.

I fear we've become a society accustomed to getting our way. Increasingly, we ask the world to bend to our needs, not vice-versa.

If your dream is to work at Walt Disney World, why sabotage your own dream by deciding in advance that wearing a certain costume is going to be problematic to your own ideals? Which is more important -- your SENSE of self and your awareness of your dreams, or the way people PERCEIVE you?

Even Walt Disney himself had many sides of his personality that he didn't always let show in public. There is a time and a place where it's appropriate to let the world know who you are. There is a time and a place where it's appropriate to blend in for the common good (in this case, doing a job or "putting on a show"). It's one of life's important lessons: Achieving your dreams sometimes takes a bit of compromise.

I hope you will still pursue your job aspirations, and I hope that if you are successful you will realize that you can still be who you are inside even if you show a different side of yourself on the outside.
    Exactly what I was going to say. Disney treats its' theme parks like any other live theater performance. As a thespian myself, I can understand why Disney would want you to wear the costume that corresponds with your sex, not with your gender identity.

• Banned User

If cross dressing is your thing, usually men fit in the Alice In Wonderland Queen of Hearts costume. Women wear the Mickey Mouse costume.

Think of all the gay, straight, & lesbian actors & actresses that kiss the sex of least preference when acting. They seem to be fine with it. Surely it cannot be pleasant. Makes wearing pants seem, I dunno, easy?

While I am straight, I think I could kiss a dude on screen as part of a movie role. ...i'd rather wear a skirt tho...

• All-American

My take on this is to remember that what are you wearing is a "costume." Very few people wear the 1770s bonnets and aprons of Liberty Square, or the white jumpsuits of custodial, or the crazy kaleidoscopic smocks of Animal Kingdom because they actually identify with them. What you are wearing is indicative of the role you play and the environment you work in, not your identity. That can apply to a gender association as well.

Thank you for all the replies, everyone. I didn't expect this to turn into a debate, it was not my intention to start any arguments.

Thank you for your kind words, especially by EC82. I fully intend to still try my hardest to work at the HM, despite my personal preferences. It definitely wont stop my dream. I asked simply to see if there was any chance that it was possible to change the uniform, not to fight for the right to do so. Considering I wasn't asking the question towards being a character (such as wanting to play Snow White while being a man) but rather a non-specific background worker I thought maybe there was a small chance. I'm fully aware of the strict dress code that Disney is known for (though in my opinion it's not that strict) and in fact already assumed that it would not be possible.

If, someday in the future, it were possible for me to play as the butler and not the maid, then awesome. I'd cry with happiness. And if it never happens in my lifetime, I'll be disappointed, sure, but it wont stop me. Walt Disney himself never gave up and neither will I. I'd be honored to work anywhere in the parks in any costume.

• Frustrated A/V Engineer

Quote Originally Posted by ttintagel View Post
    They've only allowed facial hair in the past year or so.
    It's actually been quite a bit longer than that. I can't give you an exact date, but I believe it's been about 10 years since they changed their facial hair policy. Again, I'm not sure what it is today, but when they changed it they said that you could have facial hair, but you couldn't grow it while working. In other words, if you went away on vacation and came back with a well trimmed beard, you were fine. But you couldn't just show up at work unshaven and keep working - you'd be sent home to shave.

As I recall, the main reason for this change was the need to hire among the latino community, where facial hair is much more important to them culturally.

• враг народа

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by danyoung View Post
    It's actually been quite a bit longer than that. I can't give you an exact date, but I believe it's been about 10 years since they changed their facial hair policy. Again, I'm not sure what it is today, but when they changed it they said that you could have facial hair, but you couldn't grow it while working. In other words, if you went away on vacation and came back with a well trimmed beard, you were fine. But you couldn't just show up at work unshaven and keep working - you'd be sent home to shave.

As I recall, the main reason for this change was the need to hire among the latino community, where facial hair is much more important to them culturally.
    Mustaches have been allowed for a bit longer, but beards are only a recent allowance.

• Dave

Blog Entries

Just a thought maybe there is a part of the Haunted house were a dress wouldn't be needed. Also, I am sure I have seen women dressed in mens clothing on the ride before.
    Also I work at Target and sometimes I would love to wear shorts, but only cart attendants are able to. Sometimes as uncomfortable as it maybe you have to dress the part of the company you want to work for. Well what ever happens good luck
    Dave
    Dave

• Frustrated A/V Engineer

Quote Originally Posted by lazyboy97O View Post
    Mustaches have been allowed for a bit longer, but beards are only a recent allowance.
    You're absolutely right - it was mustaches that were allowed back in 2000. Sorry for the confusion.

• Characters are my friends

Quote Originally Posted by bigwavedave View Post
    Just a thought maybe there is a part of the Haunted house were a dress wouldn't be needed. Also, I am sure I have seen women dressed in mens clothing on the ride before.
    Also I work at Target and sometimes I would love to wear shorts, but only cart attendants are able to. Sometimes as uncomfortable as it maybe you have to dress the part of the company you want to work for. Well what ever happens good luck
    Dave
    No. Females can only wear the dress at HM
    Many as a kid (1986-1998)Aug 98- Port OrleansMarch 03- Jr Band Trip (offsite)Aug 03- Port OrleansJan 12-Aug 5, 05- CP (CS)Jan 1-5, 06- AS Sports (Solo Trip)May 24, 06 to Jan 5, 07- CP (CS)Jan 31-Feb 3, 07- offsite (solo trip)March 1-3, 2007- Dad + Me (offsite)May 16-Aug 10, 07- CP (CS)Aug 10-12, 07- GF/P&PMay 21-Aug 15, 08- CP (PC)Aug 15-18, 08- AKLMarch 25-29, 09 (off-site)Aug 10, 09-Jan 2, 10- CP (CS)Jan 3-May 14, 2010- CP (CS)Feb 12-16, 2012: DCL DreamOct 20-27, 2012: DCL Fantasy (East)Sept 8-12, 2013: DCL Dream

Jan 12- Aug 5, 2005- Fantasyland Merchandise
    May 24, 2006 to Jan 5, 2007- Character Attendant
    May 16- Aug 10, 2007- Epcot WS Custodial/Seasonal CA
    May 21- July 5, 2008: Casey's (QSFB); July 6-Aug 15, 2008: character attendant
    Aug 10, 2009-Jan 2, 2010: Toy Story Mania
    Jan 3-May 14, 2010: Great Movie Ride
    May 16, 2010~ Fulltime
    Montclair State Campus Rep- Fall 07, Spring 08, Fall 08, Spring 09

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by lazyboy97O View Post
    Thanks for the clarification!

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123