Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Member of LGBT working at Disney {Dresscode Question}

Hello, everyone. This is my first time posting on Micechat so hopefully I'm posting in the correct thread.

My dream job someday is to work at the Haunted Mansion at Walt Disney World in Orlando, Florida. I wondered, however, what the policy is on Disney's dress code. I am a girl, which means I would be put in the outfit of a maid, but is it possible to be the butler even though I'm a girl? I am a member of the LGBT community and I prefer male clothing, but I wasn't sure if the dress code was strict in terms of gender roles. I do not intend to be flaunting my beliefs and/or making those against the LGBT community uncomfortable, but it is something I worry about should I be accepted into working at the Haunted Mansion. I completely understand if Disney's policies are that genders have specific dress codes, but I thought I would try and ask anyway.

• formerly very helpful

Re: Member of LGBT working at Disney {Dresscode Question}

I would think that they would have men in men uniforms and women in women uniforms. I would try to think of it as simply the costume for the show you're in, and not really representative of your own personal preference.

Disney is very "in tune" with the LGBT community, but I believe you will be requested to use the costume according to gender. It's nothing against you. There's a lot of people who are cast members and absolutely hate their costumes as well. If it makes you feel better, you can probably get away wearing pants underneath your dress.
    DisneyTwins
    Since May 2003

Darn. That's such a bummer. Unfortunately I would feel too uncomfortable to be a maid. Thanks for the replies, guys.

• i believe in faeries.

i hate my uniform at work... tight black tee, and tight black mini skirt... the only time i was allowed to step out of the 'uniform' was when i was pregnant, and it didn't fit me. i hate the uniforms at work (did i mention that, lol?) especially because i'm a mom of 2 and pushing 30... but them's the breaks. that's what i'm required to wear. *shrugs*

what about tower of terror? the bellhop costumes aren't so 'maidy' for women?

That's a nice idea. The Haunted Mansion has always been my absolute favorite since childhood, however, and I would be extremely disappointed if I weren't able to work there. Maybe someday the rules will change. Probably not, but here's hoping.

• Circle of Ancients

Blog Entries

My dream job someday... is to work in the Haunted Mansion... in drag.

Well, good luck with that, and if it happens please let us know.

• Metro-Retro Historian

Typically when you get an attraction host/hostess job you don't get to pick your attraction. When I worked there I got to pick between Magic Kingdom and Epcot, and once I picked Magic Kingdom they said ok, you're going to work in Fantasyland starting with It's A Small World. Once you're there a while you will get trained on other attractions and potentially transfer to other lands so if you aren't lucky enough to get Haunted Mansion when you are hired you can try to steer yourself over there. It's a very popular place to work though, so it won't be easy. Of course my old roommate got Space Mountain when he was hired, so you never know. It's also been a long time since I worked there so things could be completely different now.

As for the clothes, you'll probably have to wear the girl gear. There are places where costuming is pretty gender neutral (Frontierland & Tomorrowland) but the Haunted Mansion is definitely not one of them.
    It bothers me when people selectively edit quotes to support whatever point they are trying to prove.

• Former Churro Jockey

Yeah, the way Disney looks at their employees is that you are "cast members" in sort of like a living movie, and you have to wear the correct "costume", otherwise it ruins the show. They not only require you to wear woman's clothing, but they have severe limits on your hair, jewelry shoes, and everything else. If I remember correctly, I think that a woman is allowed one pair of earrings only, a max of one ring on each finger, no obviously dyed hair, and any tattoos must be covered at all times. Any costume with a dress must include stockings as well.
    Disneyland Cast Member
    Outdoor Vending
    1996 - 1999

My interview with MiceAge about working at Disneyland:
    http://micechat.com/blogs/mouth-of-t...ding-crew.html

• Beach Expert

A beach town that Harbor Blvd was named after

Disney sure has come a long way as it is. I'm not sure if this ever happened in WDW but at DL in the early years some attractions only hired one gender. For example the Jungle Cruise an the train were all men, and Storybook Land and Tiki Room were women only (this is why the attraction opens with the line Buenos Dias señorita!")

• Circle of Ancients

Blog Entries

I didn't know that, DisneyIPresume.

• Minion

Disney tends to be on the conservative side about those sorts of things. They've only allowed facial hair in the past year or so.

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • is in Antarctica

Now if a person is transgender that is a different Topic, and that is something you can work with Casting about. Gender Identity is an important issue that WDW takes seriously. Sometimes if you are transitioning, Disney can find a back of the house location for you, but when on stage, you will be wear a costume that matches the gender that the WDC has listed for you.
    Get the latest and greatest theme park news by

• Characters are my friends

Unfortunately I don't ever see Disney changing the costume rule (girls wearing male costumes, and vise versa)
    Many as a kid (1986-1998)Aug 98- Port OrleansMarch 03- Jr Band Trip (offsite)Aug 03- Port OrleansJan 12-Aug 5, 05- CP (CS)Jan 1-5, 06- AS Sports (Solo Trip)May 24, 06 to Jan 5, 07- CP (CS)Jan 31-Feb 3, 07- offsite (solo trip)March 1-3, 2007- Dad + Me (offsite)May 16-Aug 10, 07- CP (CS)Aug 10-12, 07- GF/P&PMay 21-Aug 15, 08- CP (PC)Aug 15-18, 08- AKLMarch 25-29, 09 (off-site)Aug 10, 09-Jan 2, 10- CP (CS)Jan 3-May 14, 2010- CP (CS)Feb 12-16, 2012: DCL DreamOct 20-27, 2012: DCL Fantasy (East)Sept 8-12, 2013: DCL Dream

Jan 12- Aug 5, 2005- Fantasyland Merchandise
    May 24, 2006 to Jan 5, 2007- Character Attendant
    May 16- Aug 10, 2007- Epcot WS Custodial/Seasonal CA
    May 21- July 5, 2008: Casey's (QSFB); July 6-Aug 15, 2008: character attendant
    Aug 10, 2009-Jan 2, 2010: Toy Story Mania
    Jan 3-May 14, 2010: Great Movie Ride
    May 16, 2010~ Fulltime
    Montclair State Campus Rep- Fall 07, Spring 08, Fall 08, Spring 09

• Disneyland 20 year APH

Welcome to Micechat!
    Check out my work on openstreetmap.org
    http://www.openstreetmap.org/?lat=33...om=17&layers=M

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast