Ultimate Walt Disney World TV show

I just finished watching the latest version of Ultimate Walt Disney World and here were my thoughts:

• Showed of nerdy side in front of my roommates when I told them, "Oh look that guy with the earrings is named Joe" or "Hey that is Tom!"
    • Felt kinda weird watching Imagineers hype up Splash Mountain without Tony Baxter. I kept thinking, "What do they know, they did not design the ride!"
    • It seemed their coverage of Everest has changed. In their old shows they said, "Hey look at the Yeti!" While the new shows says, "Ignore the Disco Yeti; look the ride goes backwards! BACKWARDS!"
    • Joe Rhode still looks as crazy; his moustache seems to be longer.
    • Kali River Rapids still has the lame shoehorned environmental message. Besides how many illegal loggers in Asia visit Disney World where they can learn, "logging bad, save trees"? I think Kali's anti logging message should join the safari's poachers in Yesterworld...
    • Thought it was weird when they showed clips of Walt Disney's EPCOT Project tapes and then made the assumption, "Current Walt Disney World is what Walt wanted." Uh, Walt wanted to build a city, not more theme parks...
    • The Imagineer they had talking about Avatar Land seemed very bored, sort of like he wanted to say, "My boss told me to read this canned script about how awesome Avatar Land is without actually showing you what we are doing..." He seemed very non enthusiastic about the Avatar stuff.
    • I thought it was weird when they declared the Dumbo Line's pagers "High Tech." I just thought, "They have had those pagers for years at Olive Garden..." I guess WDI doesn't make it to Olive Garden that much .
    • The show made the Seven Dwarfs Mine Train look really cool. Hopefully there will be more dark ride scenes than the short mine segment they previewed.
    • The Belle meet and greet might be the coolest meet and great ever.
    • Mission Space looks like it should be re-animated, the graphics look like a dated video game from 10 years ago.

And Lastly...

• Half the Imagineers interviewed where filmed in Disneyland...

So anybody else watch the show? Thoughts? Am I being a tad cynical on the show?
    Last edited by xboxtravis7992; 05-01-2013 at 08:57 PM.

•   
    • Chicago Gal

Blog Entries

Re: Ultimate Walt Disney World TV show

I did watch the show. I don't think you are being cynical at all. I believe these types of shows are made mostly for people who rarely visit. Not for someone who has a collective knowledge of things due to internet involvement in sites such as MiceChat.

I enjoyed the show, mostly because I just returned from a trip to Disney World. Fantasyland is not yet done, and I will be glad when it is finally complete, because I have mixed feelings about what I saw and experienced. Kind of like eating a peanut and butter jelly sandwich before you put on the jelly. Can't make an informed assessment.

Is this the one filmed in 2010? or is there a newer one? I was excited to watch the one on the disney dream since we will be on it in 2 weeks.
    chris

It seemed to be a new one since it was showing off all the Fantasyland additions.

• Waiting for my E-Ticket

Hanging out at The Attic with Johnny Dakota

I haven't watch it yet. It's saved on my DVR. I know I'll be laughing at how they'll overhype everything. But I love watching these things for the train wrecks they are.

I saw the most recent Ultimate Disney World special. I agree with most, if not all of the OP's opinions on this one. I always get a good laugh out of these Travel Channel shows.

• I'm Theme Park Happy!

I thought the specials were great, satisfying and enjoyable. No laughing coming from me at them at all. The Walt Disney World jspecial was great as well as the Disneyland one. I don't personally care where interviews are filmed since the idea of the company is to discuss the parks as "one". I don't watch it to nitpick at it or dissect it. I hope people reading this thread know that it was okay to enjoy the specials and what they present, that WDW and DL and the offerings of Disney resorts are something worth the wait and worth the time and energy put into them. That's how I feel.
    Micoofy Duck
    Disney Theme Park Fan #4,584,376
    http://www.micoofy.com

• Frustrated A/V Engineer

Quote Originally Posted by Micoofy Duck View Post
    ...I don't personally care where interviews are filmed....
    Me either. But I do have a big problem with these specials when they're, say, showing shots of the MK's Frontierland and they'll put up a big shot of the Mark Twain. I know it doesn't mean much to the non-fan, but to us folks who know better it's a slap in the face.