Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

• When Will It Return?

Re: WDW Transportation System - worth it to stay in Value Resort?

Stay on property and rent a car. You have the freedom to travel where you want, when you want. When you want to park hop and/or resort hop, the longest wait you'll have is however long it takes to get to your car in the parking lot. With the buses, you never know how long you're going to wait. Given how much you're paying for this trip, even if you're staying at a Value, your time is too valuable to waste on variable wait times for buses.

Also, now that Pop Century has Wi-Fi and fridges included, you can discover how close the Targets on US 192 are to WDW and load up on snacks/drinks, saving a TON of cash. The Target on 192 west of WDW is actually closer to the Pop than Target is to my house. It takes less than 10 minutes to get there assuming no wrong turns are made.

Another benefit of renting a car is not having to leave for the airport as insanely early as DME wants to pick you up. The whole baggage delivery bit isn't much of a perk since on my last trip to WDW (2 weeks ago), the luggage had just come out when we made it downstairs to baggage claim. No waiting involved, unlike LAX where baggage claim takes an hour or longer. This gives you more time to desperately cling to WDW screaming, "I DON'T EVER WANT TO GO BACK HOME!!!!!!!!"

"Who among you is wise and understanding? Let him show by his good behavior his deeds in the gentleness of wisdom." -- James 3:13

We were at DW last April. We stayed in one of the music resorts (the budget resort).

Here are the pros and cons we noticed...

Pros
    1) Very Clean
    2) Great pool
    3) zero 'outgoing' bus issues
    4) Very affordable

Cons
    1) crowded. Not just at the pool. The lines at the cafeteria were unbearble. Always! Always lines out the ying yang! Forget eating at the hotel.
    2) Incoming bus issues (Ill over in a sec)
    3) Huge, just huge! You can have what seems like a mile walk to the bus stop. We personally liked the walk, but if you are at all not fit, it is gonna stink. It is a long sad walk on your last day to the airport.

Now, while overall I do reccomend using the bus system, we had a pretty big incident I'll share.

It was park closing time, and we went to the bus stop. Now, at closing, the bus stops to the monster budget hotels are packed!! The more expensive hotels, not bad. We were looking over fondly at those folks and feeling jealous. One night, we had been standing in line for about 20 minutes (the lines are not hours long or anything, but 30 minutes can happen) and were likely on the next bus. Just then about 40 kids came singing (yea, singing) and just marched right up to their 4 friends in front of us and hopped in line! I did get onto them a little, told them the line formed back there, but the cutters just laughed and ignored me. Some of the folks around me sorta backed me up by nodding in agreement, but again, they just laughed and kept singing. I would have gotten onto them more and made a scene,,,except I was also highly inebriated from downing a vat of sangria (from Marrakesh restaurant @ back of Epcot, oh so gooood!) so I figured if the cops showed up it might end up bad for me...so I let it go. My whole point being the buses suck going BACK to a budget hotel. Oh, and there are ZERO STAFF policing all of this. You are on your own!

Every night coming home the busses sucked. Standing room only, and it is a long ride. For this reason alone, a more expensive hotel might be worth it. We are seriously considering it for next time.

• I'm Theme Park Happy!

Simple answer. yes. In my 10+ trips I've always used Disney transportation and I have yet to have an issue or a problem with it. It's part of the package, it's a money saver and when I leave the park an hour and 10 minutes after it has closed and I find out that buses are still running until EVERYONE is home safely and that any bus will take me home to whichever resort I'm staying with... well that's class all the way.

Last time my mother and I had a spectacular boat captain on a simple ride from the Magic Kingdom to the Grand Floridian resort.

I'll rave to my friends and family when they plan their trips to use Disney Transportation forever and a day later.
    Micoofy Duck
    Disney Theme Park Fan #4,584,376
    http://www.micoofy.com

•   
    • Minion

I would rent a car I have done the WDW experience with and without. With a rent a car I felt like I got a couple hours back each day. I also didn't find myself rushing everywhere to beat the crowds. To me the bus experience can be hit or miss.

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by jloucks View Post
    Just then about 40 kids came singing (yea, singing) and just marched right up to their 4 friends in front of us and hopped in line! I did get onto them a little, told them the line formed back there, but the cutters just laughed and ignored me. Some of the folks around me sorta backed me up by nodding in agreement, but again, they just laughed and kept singing.
    Were they, by any chance, singing in Portuguese?

•   
    • Circle of Ancients

This is going to sound mean... but since I live and breathe logistics and the time it takes to get from point A to point B, you should know this:

The buses are absolutely almost NEVER faster than taking a car, even if you're staying on site, unless the park that you are visiting is the Magic Kingdom... and this is only because the buses get to skip the Transportation and Ticket Center. Driving is generally a much more pleasant experience than taking a bus. (Unless you're really bad at directions, in which case, maybe the busses are for you... same if you want to drink around the world at Epcot or if you just hate driving in general)

Most locations on property take 10 minutes to arrive at by car, and maybe an extra 5 minutes if you need to deal with the parking tram if you are going to a park and get stuck in the back of a lot. For the Magic Kingdom, the Ticket Center adds a good 10-20 minutes depending if you take the boat or monorail.

I would never recommend anyone take a bus at WDW. It's the leftover when you have no other alternative. They're not the horrible experience that people speak of, but they really aren't convenient either.

In fact, it's hard for me to recommend even staying on property at all, unless you really plan to spend a lot of time at your hotel... and even then, it's really only worth it staying at a Deluxe or Moderate Resort. The value resorts offer very little benefit. Extra Magic Hours is actually a non-benefit, but that's another post altogether.

Save the fifty or hundred dollars a night and stay off property, use the money towards renting a car (be sure that the hotel you select doesn't charge for parking) for 15 bucks a day, and get a much better experience in the long run. Renting a car will also allow you to check out SeaWorld's new penguin habitat, Antarctica, as well as see Universal, which needs two days on its own.
    -Bill

• Frustrated A/V Engineer

Every time one of these threads comes up, you see just about every opinion and combination available. It all comes down to what works for you. Many folks ride the buses with no trouble at all. I personally don't like 'em, mainly because I don't like sitting and waiting for a bus to pick me up at my hotel and then waiting again at the end of the day for a bus to take me back to my hotel. Also, I do a lot of resort dining, and the bus system just isn't good at getting you from resort to resort. Also as others have said I don't like the timing of the whole DME airport thing. I rent a car at the airport, then have transportation to and from the airport on my own schedule. I just think being able to drive where and when I want gives me more freedom on vacation.

But if you're the type of people who just don't like driving, the buses are a fine alternative.

• New Member Goes Forth

It is reaklly useful and easier than going by car
    The new Star Wars plot summery:

Episode 7: Luke discovers that Darth Vader is not his father, and goes on a search for his real father

Episode 8: Darth Vader is resurrected and goes on Jerry Springer, claiming he is Luke and Leia's father

Episode 9: Princes Leia is not Luke's sister, making him furious (we all know why...).

• *Experiment 999*

i would rent a car. the buses were horrible when i took them. then again, maybe im just too impatient to wait for buses as far as staying off property, the port orleans was decent. im treating myself to the contemporary or polynesian in october when i go for the tower of terror marathon though

renting a car is a win in my book regardless of where you choose to stay. i enjoy the freedom of changing my mind and reworking my disney destination goals for that day! its also nice if you maybe want to head to universal to visit Hogwarts!

• Banned User

I highly recommend looking up the resorts. Decide which resorts has the best location. The resort should be close to at least one theme park (your favorite) for easy access.

I'm going to respectfully disagree with StevenW. I think there's too much concern about resort location. It's not like WDW property is a hundred miles wide. Where you're staying might make a 5 to 10 minute difference when taking a bus to the parks. Unless you're going to spend most of your time in Epcot or the MK, any resort on property will be served by buses that will get you there.

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • is in Antarctica

You could stay at the Waldorf Astoria sometimes for the same price as a moderate, and get free transportation to the parks.

I just could not justify the cost of the Disney hotels with their substandard amenities when there are some truly incredible hotels in the same area.
    Get the latest and greatest theme park news by

• Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by danyoung View Post
    I'm going to respectfully disagree with StevenW. I think there's too much concern about resort location. It's not like WDW property is a hundred miles wide. Where you're staying might make a 5 to 10 minute difference when taking a bus to the parks. Unless you're going to spend most of your time in Epcot or the MK, any resort on property will be served by buses that will get you there.
    Your statement inverts the truth. You will be going to the Magic Kingdom and EPCOT much more than the minor parks. In these cases, a short trip to MK or EPCOT relieves much of the pressure. Then take the busses to Animal Kingdom or the Studios park. The difference is whether you will have a nice ending of the day. Will you face gridlock as you exit from the fireworks shows at MK or the lagoon show at EPCOT. It is less of a problem at the Studios Park or nothing at all worry about at Animal Kingdom.

Steven, I don't disagree with anything you've said. My only point is that people tend to stress over which hotel is located near which park. And I don't think it really matters that much. Catching a bus to Port Orleans or catching a bus to All Star isn't going to be all that different - both buses will get you where you want to go, within maybe a few minutes' difference. There are, of course, hotels closer to specific parks. But if you're going to visit all 4 parks, then it doesn't much matter where you are within the boundaries of WDW property. There isn't a hotel that's so far out that it's a major inconvenience to get to the parks.

• See you there!

Ah... The old onsite-offsite debate. Used to be a frequent occurrence on RADP, now I see it has moved to here.

I can't comment on the value/moderate resort debate as I am DVC and only stay at OKW. But I look forward to a WDW vacation as a car-free vacation. When I go on vacation I like to leave the car behind and let someone else drive me around. I don't mind the waits and in the 15 years I have been going to WDW I have only had one or two excessive waits due to a combination of things (one involved weather and I am glad I was not driving then). I have learned to gauge my time according to the bus schedules to meet my timing for dining reservations, I just try to be early and that way I am seldom late.

For resort to resort dining, I usually eat at one or two different resorts during my stay and I either plan for a bus transfer or most frequently call a taxi. A taxi once or twice (or even daily) is less hassle than renting a car (for me).

Yep, I vote...

Stay on property
    Use WDW transportation wherever possible.

Just MHO, YMMV

CU@DL

Andy
    Last edited by CUatDL; 05-16-2013 at 08:51 AM.
    -
    What is, is... What is not, is not.

Boom!

I don't ask for much... Just a few little things!

Extra effort yields extraordinary results!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12