Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast
Results 31 to 45 of 111
  1. #31

    • 1,200 Miles from da Mouse
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Chicago, Illinois, United States
    Posts
    902

    Re: Disney Announces Avatarland to open in 2017

    I'm holding final judgement till it's fully built, but for now I'm not looking forward to this addition...

    Didn't enjoy the movie in fact it's one of the few movies I walked out of(and promptly went across the hall to watch something else)
    The test of success is not what you do when you are on top. Success is how high you bounce when you hit bottom.
    -George S. Patton


  2. #32

    •   
    • Minion
    • Online

    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    SF Bay Area, California, United States
    Posts
    2,629

    Re: Disney Announces Avatarland to open in 2017

    Quote Originally Posted by SunsetLament View Post
    Give Carsland another five years and get back to me. Single property (IP) lands are fool's gold - you need to have longterm (at least a decade) uber-popularity before basing a land on just one property.
    I am not sure if you have been to Carsland but it will last well beyond 5 years easy. There really isn't any doubting that. It's Carsland and the new Fantasyland additions that gives me hope for this land in AK. I am in favor of the land but if it sucks I wouldn't defend it either. I think it will fit into the DAK landscape just fine. If we use our imaginations a little it's not too hard to figure out ways this land can exist within DAK. I am willing to bet it will look a lot better than dinoland USA. Again though we are all speculating before seeing anything kind of hard to knock it or defend it yet.

  3. #33

    • Member
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Posts
    267

    Re: Disney Announces Avatarland to open in 2017

    Quote Originally Posted by biggsworth View Post
    I am not sure if you have been to Carsland but it will last well beyond 5 years easy. There really isn't any doubting that. It's Carsland and the new Fantasyland additions that gives me hope for this land in AK. I am in favor of the land but if it sucks I wouldn't defend it either. I think it will fit into the DAK landscape just fine. If we use our imaginations a little it's not too hard to figure out ways this land can exist within DAK. I am willing to bet it will look a lot better than dinoland USA. Again though we are all speculating before seeing anything kind of hard to knock it or defend it yet.
    There's a reason we don't have Davy Crockettland, or African Queenland, or Sleeping Beautyland, or Third Man On the Mountainland.


  4. #34

    •   
    • Minion
    • Online

    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    SF Bay Area, California, United States
    Posts
    2,629

    Re: Disney Announces Avatarland to open in 2017

    Quote Originally Posted by SunsetLament View Post
    There's a reason we don't have Davy Crockettland, or African Queenland, or Sleeping Beautyland, or Third Man On the Mountainland.
    Ok.... and there is a reason we have WWoHP and Carsland because they help tell a story and immerse us into their world.

  5. #35

    • Member
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Posts
    267

    Re: Disney Announces Avatarland to open in 2017

    Quote Originally Posted by biggsworth View Post
    Ok.... and there is a reason we have WWoHP and Carsland because they help tell a story and immerse us into their world.
    ... and in the instance of Carsland, it's a world that I believe will not have enough of a fanbase to sustain the popularity of the land by itself 5 to 10 years from now - just as nobody today would go to Disneyland to see Davy Crockettland or Sleeping Beautyland. It's shortsighted.


  6. #36

    • Member
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Portland, OR
    Posts
    173

    Re: Disney Announces Avatarland to open in 2017

    I am really looking forward to this. I know I'm probably the only one who supports the construction of this land. I also know I'm going to be flamed for it. But honestly, I'm not too concerned.
    Not the only one. There's at least two of us! I think there's great potential for this to be really spectacular, a truly unique and magical land...with especially nifty possibilities after dark!

    Frankly I don't think it has to be an either/or proposition (Disney or Universal). It's awesome that the area is becoming so rich in variety when it comes to high quality, immersive experiences. The only time I visited WDW was well before Harry Potter came to Universal. Next time I go to Florida, my primary destination will be Disney, but I'm trilled that there are other destinations to explore too. That Avatarland could be one of them in a few years is pretty cool.

  7. #37

    •   
    • Minion
    • Online

    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    SF Bay Area, California, United States
    Posts
    2,629

    Re: Disney Announces Avatarland to open in 2017

    Quote Originally Posted by emwhysee View Post
    Not the only one. There's at least two of us! I think there's great potential for this to be really spectacular, a truly unique and magical land...with especially nifty possibilities after dark!

    Frankly I don't think it has to be an either/or proposition (Disney or Universal). It's awesome that the area is becoming so rich in variety when it comes to high quality, immersive experiences. The only time I visited WDW was well before Harry Potter came to Universal. Next time I go to Florida, my primary destination will be Disney, but I'm trilled that there are other destinations to explore too. That Avatarland could be one of them in a few years is pretty cool.
    There are more supporters of this than is reflected here on MC I am sure one of those reasons being people don't feel like getting flamed for suppoting the idea. I can't wait to see what they have in stored for us in reagrds to this expansion.

  8. #38

    •     
      MiceChat Senior Moderator
    • Orbital Pluto
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    Oceanside, CA
    Posts
    4,330

    Re: Disney Announces Avatarland to open in 2017

    Folks, a number of posts have been moved from this thread to the Litter Box, for being off-topic and/or making personal asides or attacks against others who had posted in this thread.

    You may discuss the dickens out of the topic, but you may never mock or belittle other members.
    "Not Carnegie, Vanderbilt, and Astor together could have
    raised money enough to buy a quarter share in my little dog."

    Ernest Thompson Seton

  9. #39

    • MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • is in Antarctica
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Orlando, Florida
    Posts
    4,450

    Re: Disney Announces Avatarland to open in 2017

    Again 2017... sheesh.. how incredibly far away!
    Get the latest and greatest theme park news by


  10. #40

    •   
    • Minion
    • Online

    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    SF Bay Area, California, United States
    Posts
    2,629

    Re: Disney Announces Avatarland to open in 2017

    Quote Originally Posted by KingEric View Post
    Again 2017... sheesh.. how incredibly far away!
    Yeah I am with you there so far away as far as the resort goes I really hope something is planned after the Dwarf mine coaster before 2017 but if they don't announce it soon I can't see that heppening. Our only hope is a announcement of some kind at D23. My guess though for that is Star Wars related announcements at D23 wether or not that's just movie or theme park related who knows.

  11. #41

    • Senior Minion
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Posts
    8,890

    Re: Disney Announces Avatarland to open in 2017

    Quote Originally Posted by SunsetLament View Post
    There's a reason we don't have Davy Crockettland, or African Queenland, or Sleeping Beautyland, or Third Man On the Mountainland.
    Exactly. And the reason is that back then, we didn't have an ex-Eisner Chief Financial Officer running Disney's theme parks -- nor an ex-Eisner lieutenant, now CEO, to promote him to that position.

    "Avatarland" is just another symptom of the chronic marketeering-think that dominates the management of Disney's domestic theme parks. All the hoopla that surrounds it won't be able to drown out the gurgling sound of Disney's once-famous reputation for innovation, originality and imagination circling the drain.
    Last edited by Mr Wiggins; 05-07-2013 at 11:52 AM.
    "With the acquisition of Marvel and now of Lucasfilm,
    Disney may have finally found the grail. You don't need
    imagination or art. All you need is a brand."

    - Neil Gabler


  12. #42

    • Member
    • Online

    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Posts
    5,604

    Re: Disney Announces Avatarland to open in 2017

    People have spoken out about other properties disney has used and its always the same argument. 'Wait five years......'

    But the reality is that if an attraction or land is done correctly it does well enough to pay for its investment.

    Universal is doing it with Harry, simpson, and transformers.

    The IP might not be original but the attractions are and it drove attendance up.

  13. #43

    • I'm from Canada eh!
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Posts
    1,091

    Re: Disney Announces Avatarland to open in 2017

    I'm not looking forward to this at all. From a business perspective disney is taking a big risk with investing that much money into a franchise that has not proven itself of the long term. Sure it made a lot of money, but unlike Star Wars, Marvel or Car it dones not exisut outside of the movies. BOO.

  14. #44

    •   
    • Minion
    • Online

    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    SF Bay Area, California, United States
    Posts
    2,629

    Re: Disney Announces Avatarland to open in 2017

    Quote Originally Posted by Baloo View Post
    People have spoken out about other properties disney has used and its always the same argument. 'Wait five years......'

    But the reality is that if an attraction or land is done correctly it does well enough to pay for its investment.

    Universal is doing it with Harry, simpson, and transformers.

    The IP might not be original but the attractions are and it drove attendance up.

    This is how I feel as well. Carsland is built to last there is no way anyone can't see that in my opinion. The name is definitely lame but the land itself is executed brilliantly. I don't even have to wait 5 years to know that. WWoHP same thing. They are both areas based off a franchise and will thrive for years to come. A bugs land ould be an example of a bad version of this but that was rushed into place to help a failing park. Avatar can be as successful. There are opportunities to tie it into DAK pretty easy in my opinion. World wide there is interest in the franchise especially Asia. That's just based off my co-workers from there they are anxiously awaiting for it to open. Small sample size I know but they bring it the franchise a lot. Now if they execute it on the cheap and it sucks then I will then say it was a huge mistake. But planning it out for as long as they are I would think they will produce something big along the lines of a Carsland which DAK could use.

    On a side note if it were my money i'd make a Star Wars and but I am very biased there

  15. #45

    • Banned User
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    1,497

    Re: Disney Announces Avatarland to open in 2017

    Quote Originally Posted by SunsetLament View Post
    ... and in the instance of Carsland, it's a world that I believe will not have enough of a fanbase to sustain the popularity of the land by itself 5 to 10 years from now - just as nobody today would go to Disneyland to see Davy Crockettland or Sleeping Beautyland. It's shortsighted.
    This is an argument that proves nothing. Its a strawman argument. There are plenty of lands that changed from its original purpose. Its a shame that they didn't finally fix Tomorrowland by doing away with the name. No one would go to Disneyland to see Tomorrowland since there is nothing there to see. Instead, there is Space Mountain and Star Tours. There is nothing inherently Tomorrow-ish about these attractions.

    We still have a Tom Sawyer Island. Who knows anything about Tom Sawyer these days?

    We still have a Hollywood Pictures Backlot at DCA. Who cares about the golden age of film? It is ridiculous that Disney still celebrates this ancient piece of history.

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Disney Announces OFFICIAL Christmas Plans
    By Loomis in forum Hong Kong Disneyland Resort
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 11-10-2006, 09:55 PM
  2. Disney Character warehouse to open in Hayward CA
    By OogieBoogie in forum MiceChat News Archive
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 11-07-2006, 03:56 PM
  3. Replies: 35
    Last Post: 08-20-2006, 08:29 PM
  4. Replies: 0
    Last Post: 08-03-2006, 10:05 AM
  5. Disney Announces Deal to Buy Pixar for $7.4 Billion- LA Times- 1/24/06
    By dramaqueen in forum MiceChat News Archive
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 01-24-2006, 02:04 PM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •