Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 2345678 LastLast

• враг народа

Blog Entries

Re: Disney Announces Avatarland to open in 2017

Quote Originally Posted by CaliforniaAdventurer View Post
    Will Lasseter not have creative sign off on the Avatar project? After Cameron signs off?

Star Tours worked out fine between Lucas and Imagineering, two times.
    Lasseter is a creative consultant. I doubt he has much weight outside of projects derived from his work. As Mr. wiggins said, even for Carsland he had to fight, and fight hard, for that land to come out the way it did. I think between that, the purchases of Marvel and Lucasfilm, and the success of projects with less of his direct involvement he may have used up a lot of his political leverage and own personal energy in ensuring Cars Land was something amazing.

• Banned User

[QUOTE]
    Quote Originally Posted by Dapper Dan;1056970001 Disney didn't build Crockettland. They built Frontierland, and while it has had Crockett attractions in it, the broader theme means that once king of the wild frontier was no longer in fashion, the land at large could keep plugging along with little to no need to change a thing.[/QUOTE
    In the Magic Kingdom, they have Liberty Square attached to Frontierland. Frontierland no longer makes sense as a land, but the name sticks. The more appropriate term is Westernland. Other Disney theme parks don't have Frontierland anymore. You can't keep plugging along a dead idea like Frontierland or Tomorrowland. They keep trying and failing. Today, its a combination of specific land and non-specific lands.

• Circle of Ancients

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by lazyboy97O View Post
    Lasseter is a creative consultant. I doubt he has much weight outside of projects derived from his work. As Mr. wiggins said, even for Carsland he had to fight, and fight hard, for that land to come out the way it did. I think between that, the purchases of Marvel and Lucasfilm, and the success of projects with less of his direct involvement he may have used up a lot of his political leverage and own personal energy in ensuring Cars Land was something amazing.
    No, he's "Principal Creative Advisor".

Disney purchased Pixar in April 2006, and Lasseter was named chief creative officer of both Pixar and Walt Disney Animation Studios. He was also named principal creative advisor at Walt Disney Imagineering, where he helps design attractions for Disney's theme parks. He reports directly to Disney President and CEO Robert Iger, bypassing Disney's studio and theme park executives.
    John Lasseter - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

• враг народа

Blog Entries

No, he's "Principal Creative Advisor".
    Walt Disney Imagineering is full of fancy titles. Lasseter gets no real say it what does and does not happen. He is able to give his input on projects as part of the Pixar purchase and that input has its strongest impact on Pixar-related projects.

• Circle of Ancients

Blog Entries

I was under the impression, above-and-beyond his duties in animation, he's a CZAR for creative quality control over the parks. Like Pope Emeritus.

• Senior Minion

I was under the impression, above-and-beyond his duties in animation, he's a CZAR for creative quality control over the parks. Like Pope Emeritus.
    In title, yes. In reality, it's what lazyboy970 said in the post above. In the management chain John works for Bob Iger, but in matters of Disney Parks, Tom Staggs and Bob (with heavy input from Jay Rasulo) call the shots on what shall and shall not be. It's a strategic planning show; creatives, no matter how high on the food chain, are effectively advisors, consultants and wrists for hire.
    "With the acquisition of Marvel and now of Lucasfilm,
    Disney may have finally found the grail. You don't need
    imagination or art. All you need is a brand."

- Neil Gabler

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • is in Antarctica

So Disney announces Avatarland in 2011... should be completed in 2017. Universal announces Diagon Alley in 2013 will be completed in 2014.

I see a big problem here!

In 2012 Universal Orlando got:
    1. Despicable Me: Minion Mayhem
    2. Re Animated Spiderman
    3. Re vamped Blueman Group
    4. Brand New Parade
    5. Brand New Firework show

2013 We will get
    1. Transformers
    2. Cabana Bay Beach Resort

2014 we will get
    1. Diagon Alley
    2. Gringotts
    3. Hogwarts Express
    Get the latest and greatest theme park news by

• враг народа

Blog Entries

I thought Cabana Bay was slated for a March 2014 opening and you forgot the small, but still happening Springfield makeover.

• Circle of Ancients

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Wiggins View Post
    In title, yes. In reality, it's what lazyboy970 said in the post above. In the management chain John works for Bob Iger, but in matters of Disney Parks, Tom Staggs and Bob (with heavy input from Jay Rasulo) call the shots on what shall and shall not be. It's a strategic planning show; creatives, no matter how high on the food chain, are effectively advisors, consultants and wrists for hire.
    Disappointing but thanks for the input.

Quote Originally Posted by NineteenTwenty8 View Post
    Disney always comes out on top, I wouldnt worry =) they will come up with something that will blow anything Universal does out of the water.
    Like they did with the new Fantasyland as a followup to Harry Potter?

Quote Originally Posted by maddogjoe View Post
    Personally I don't look at it as a competition. While I enjoyed the Harry Potter books and movies I don't plan on running over to Universal to see what they have done. Visiting other parks has always just felt like I was at a park, Disney on the other hand always feels like I'm in another "world". I really couldn't care much less about what Universal does.
    Trust me, when you go the the Wizarding World of Harry Potter at Universal, you feel like you are a part of that world unlike anything at another theme park (or other part of Universal Studios).

The experience is well worth the trip.

Quote Originally Posted by lazyboy97O View Post
    I would say that Lasseter has likely gained significant credibility and political leverage for any future park projects based on the overwhelming success of Cars Land. (Which isn't even generally considered as one of Pixar's top 5 movies.)

• враг народа

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Brack Daddy View Post
    I would say that Lasseter has likely gained significant credibility and political leverage for any future park projects based on the overwhelming success of Cars Land. (Which isn't even generally considered as one of Pixar's top 5 movies.)
    This is Disney, the company that despite paying $4 billion each for Marvel and Lucasfilm needs to have their popularity proven. I also have to think that retirement has to be on Lasseter's mind. He's been working a lot the past few years.

•   
    • Minion

Quote Originally Posted by Brack Daddy View Post
    Trust me, when you go the the Wizarding World of Harry Potter at Universal, you feel like you are a part of that world unlike anything at another theme park (or other part of Universal Studios).

The experience is well worth the trip.
    I agree here but after that at least for me there isn't much more over there. But WWoHP feels like a Disney experience to me. Its a land based off one franchise as well. If a land is executed well it can work. Carsland is another one. I am just not ready to say Avatarland is going to be horrible without seeing what is going to be done with it. Although if they call it Avatarland instead of Pandora that would be dumb IMO lol

• Circle of Ancients

Blog Entries

Avatarland is a clunky name, you're right. "Pandora" would be better.

Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 2345678 LastLast