Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678 LastLast

• I'm Theme Park Happy!

Re: Disney Announces Avatarland to open in 2017

Quote Originally Posted by CaliforniaAdventurer View Post
    Any leaked concept art?
    I suspect as I've stated in the past that there will be a huge presentation and visual models and previews at D23 convention. I'll be there this year to experience myself and I can not wait!!!

And if a mod could combine my three posts into one.. not sure how to combine them. Thanks
    Micoofy Duck
    Disney Theme Park Fan #4,584,376
    http://www.micoofy.com

• враг народа

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Kidgenie View Post
    ^your opinion only. Clearly Disney had a different opinion.
    It may be opinion, but I think it has far more support in precedent than the sudden decision of the former head of strategic planning and the Weatherman, who only see value in theme parks as marketing platforms and not as their own creative storytelling medium.

• Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by Micoofy Duck View Post
    The title for Pandora may be already taken or copyrighted thus meaning why they have not called it Pandora. I would guess it has to do with someone owning the rights to Pandora in a theme park environment... I too don't understand why they keep Avatarland name over Pandora.
    Pandora is used by many companies in many different products. No one will confuse Avatar's Pandora with Pandora Radio, the music streaming company, or Pandora the jewelry company.

I think they can't do without saying it is Avatar's Pandora to avoid confusion.

Welcome to a kingdom of animals... real, ancient and imagined: a kingdom ruled by lions, dinosaurs and dragons; a kingdom of balance, harmony and survival; a kingdom we enter to share in the wonder, gaze at the beauty, thrill at the drama, and learn.
    The movie featured many imagined animals. I can't believe people think Avatar doesn't fit when it clearly does. You have to avoid the obvious. I highlighed aspects of the Avatar movie that clearly showcased the statements above.

• Nutty about Disney parks

Quote Originally Posted by StevenW View Post
    The movie featured many imagined animals. I can't believe people think Avatar doesn't fit when it clearly does. You have to avoid the obvious. I highlighed aspects of the Avatar movie that clearly showcased the statements above.
    I think many of us would've preferred imagined animals that society has been more familiar with in stories and legends throughout time (unicorns, dragons, griffins, phoenixes, etc). Not animals imagined from the concept of one modern day movie director. The former is far more timeless than the latter. I can barely recall any of the creatures from that movie.
    Toonaspie: I have Asperger's. I like cartoons. Toonaspie!

• Senior Minion

"Welcome to a kingdom of animals... real, ancient and imagined:
    a kingdom ruled by lions, dinosaurs and dragons;
    a kingdom of balance, harmony and survival;
    a kingdom we enter to share in the wonder,
    gaze at the beauty, thrill at the drama, and learn."

The dedication speaks, quite obviously, to the theme of DAK, namely, the "real, ancient and imagined animals" of the past and present of Earth. Not of the fictional moon of a fictional gas giant planet in a fictional dystopian future invented by James Cameron.

No matter how much shoehorning, spinning and twisting is attempted to make it fit, AvatarLand is a blatant misfit to DAK -- one that is worthy of the Strategic Planning "vision" that conjured it up from the balance books and spreadsheets of MarketingLand. A concept where creative cluelessness vies with corporate desperation in an attempt to out-market Universal. For the company that holds the heritage of Disney innovation, imagination and creativity, it is truly pathetic.
    "With the acquisition of Marvel and now of Lucasfilm,
    Disney may have finally found the grail. You don't need
    imagination or art. All you need is a brand."

- Neil Gabler

Quote Originally Posted by CaliforniaAdventurer View Post
    ^your opinion only.

Well that was redudant, as I already stated it was my opinion. Come on CA, your better then that.

I feel Pandora much better fits DAK then Carlands fits DCA, considerings that radiator springs is not even in CA.

Again, not sure there is another point, as I have done a 180. Up until about a few months ago, I really thought it was still go. Now with the announce opening of 2017, with no new details, only a statement that its still in design phase, I really am thinking its going the way of Disney's America. And yes, its opinion only. My opinion too and how I currently interrept the tea leaves on Avatar.

• враг народа

Blog Entries

I feel Pandora much better fits DAK then Carlands fits DCA, considerings that radiator springs is not even in CA.
    An alien moon light years away makes more sense in a park about Earth than a town in a bordering state in a park about California?

^ Eh. sigh. Pandora was an imagined world. Middle earth is an imagined world. Star Wars is an imagined universe. But unlike star wars, pandora had a much stronger emphasis on the animals of the planet itself. The conservation emphasis on Pandora really is not unlike the message that DAK is sharing.

Carsland on the other hand is an Arizona story in a California theme park. The connection to the "California Adventure" is that it features cars, and california has a lot of cars, AND it features route 66 which does go to California. there is a reach there.

Pandora is not Earth, I get that, but its still about animals imagined, and conservation. So yes I still feel that animal life light years away makes more sense in a park about..... the kingdom of animals, real, ancient, and imagined, is not as much of a reach... If Carsland can work in a California theme park, Imagined animals from another world can work in Animal Kingdom.

Perhaps if it was called "Disney's Animal Kingdom of Earth" I would feel otherwise And don't worry, I already know you disagree with me, and that I am wrong and you are right. hehehe, but the conversation is fun anyway.
    Last edited by Kidgenie; 05-11-2013 at 04:25 PM.

• I'm Theme Park Happy!

I still feel that animal life light years away makes more sense in a park about..... the kingdom of animals, real, ancient, and imagined, is not as much of a reach...
    I know right? Some people are just fixated on the word "Earth". Yet people here are perfectly fine with the once imagined expansion of mythical creatures, dragons, unicorns, sea creatures, etc. This whole "Earth" technicality is just a key point in some people's debates, we get that.

A dragon is featured on the sign, we all know that. And that dragon alone is an invite to the world of imagination in terms of animal life anywhere and everywhere. No specific planet or solar system required.
    Micoofy Duck
    Disney Theme Park Fan #4,584,376
    http://www.micoofy.com

•   
    • Minion

I know right? Some people are just fixated on the word "Earth". Yet people here are perfectly fine with the once imagined expansion of mythical creatures, dragons, unicorns, sea creatures, etc. This whole "Earth" technicality is just a key point in some people's debates, we get that.

A dragon is featured on the sign, we all know that. And that dragon alone is an invite to the world of imagination in terms of animal life anywhere and everywhere. No specific planet or solar system required.
    Unicorns and dragons get a pass because they are more real than the creatures of Avatar

• враг народа

Blog Entries

Perhaps if it was called "Disney's Animal Kingdom of Earth" I would feel otherwise

Quote Originally Posted by biggsworth View Post
    Unicorns and dragons get a pass because they are more real than the creatures of Avatar
    Beastlie Kingdom, like Expedition Everest, spoke of man's connection to and perception of the surrounding natural world. The creatures included were not wholly fictional. They were a very real part of life, just as we learn how the yeti, even as just a symbol, is a real part of the Himalayas. The park was sold to Eisner by bringing a live tiger into a meeting. Rohde's work is constantly pushing towards the authentic and Disney's Animal Kingdom was inspired by his world travels. This is not some "technicality," it is the very heart of the park and its experience.

• "What is thy bidding?"

This is becoming quite the controversial expansion project. I will admit I wouldve hoped for something more jungle and "earthly" animal themed, like a fleshed out water flume attraction that was based on the Jungle Book. (great music from that movie and the characters would make great animatronics for such an attraction) Or a Lion King trackless ride that would definatelly fit the area.
    Or one of my biggest hopes would have been a complete Indiana Jones Land: Bring the forbiddon Journy attraction from DL, the coaster from Paris Disney and move the stunt show from DHS. Then put Avatar land in DHS. Nothing wrong with dreaming though........

Quote Originally Posted by Darth Goofy View Post
    I wouldve hoped for something more jungle and "earthly" animal themed, like a fleshed out water flume attraction that was based on the Jungle Book. (great music from that movie and the characters would make great animatronics for such an attraction)
    Brilliant idea! I agree The Jungle Book would make for a wonderful ride... the characters, the music, the jungle setting. It would be classic Disney ride magic

• враг народа

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Darth Goofy View Post
    This is becoming quite the controversial expansion project.
    I think cynicism is warranted given the project's origins. It was dreamed up by Iger and Staggs who apparently didn't even bother to inform Joe Rohde that Avatar would be coming to the park.

• Banned User

The idea that an imagined creature must be an earth bound imagination is a very specific requirement. I didn't find it in the vision statement despite claims that its in it. I find such restrictions to be limiting as that is not how imagination works. Imagination has absolutely no limits.

The only limit shall be the kingdom of animals as all ideas come from earthbound people. There are no aliens among us. We create our own myths and our own stories. Avatar is a derived work that is still original. We know where the story came from (Ponohontas). Only the animals and environment is wholly original.

This discussion is interesting as it is. They are still going forward with it and I don't mind. All four parks at Disney World are short of attractions. They need all the help they can get.

Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678 LastLast