Page 1 of 5 1234 ... LastLast

• Minion

What land/ride would you like to be WDW's potter swatter

With the new Diagon alley announcement today, what would you like to see WDW's counter be? Something original? Star Wars? Pirates? For original I think a Sindbad themed land for AK would be a good replacement for Avatar, I'd also like a rock and mineral/ inner earth themed pavilion for future world. For properties, I think a from indoor land would be cool for HS

• New Member Goes Forth

Re: What land/ride would you like to be WDW's potter swatter

Disney needs to have a good game plan that will last more than one year. They need to have attractions opening every year up to 2017. Sadly, it does not look like this will happen. AVATAR will not be able to compete with this, and a clone of Cars Land will not help either.
    The new Star Wars plot summery:

Episode 7: Luke discovers that Darth Vader is not his father, and goes on a search for his real father

Episode 8: Darth Vader is resurrected and goes on Jerry Springer, claiming he is Luke and Leia's father

Episode 9: Princes Leia is not Luke's sister, making him furious (we all know why...).

• Nutty about Disney parks

You can buy wands and butterbeer at WWoHP.

Let's face it. No matter how hard Disney will try they've already lost.
    Toonaspie: I have Asperger's. I like cartoons. Toonaspie!

Blog Entries

I think a Star Wars land could do it if done right.

• The Steampunk Dread Baron

Star Wars... It already has lasted over thirty years and is still relevant.
    The fountain of youth really is in Florida... thats why they built Walt Disney World where they did.

• I'm Theme Park Happy!

Good god the dramatics!

WDW will survive a Harry Potter upgrade. The parks will continue to thrive and grow and change over the decades to come. I don't understand the "death" of WDW because of an expansion to Harry Potter.

Universal Studios is never going to be able to catch up to what Walt Disney World has accomplished and created because of one upgrade that ones in about a year.

The world was just fine before the creation of Harry Potter and the world will be fine after the areas are completed.
    Micoofy Duck
    Disney Theme Park Fan #4,584,376
    http://www.micoofy.com

Well I wasn't intending to be harsh in my comment.

I'm just saying that I'm kinda tired of Disney's latest trend of resorting to Potter-swatter tactics. It feels like a rather misguided approach to dealing with the problems in their many parks, especially if they have to resort to properties they don't (currently) own like Avatarland to accomplish this.

I give Carsland a free pass because it does thematically work in DCA to some degree and the land provided the right amount of shops, restaurants, and attractions to help boost a very underdeveloped DCA. The land is probably most similar to WWoHP in that you are experiencing in reality the fictional stores and eateries from the films. However, I think this kind of concept would be difficult to replicate with other properties.

I'm only moderately familiar with the Star Wars universe. However I know that the SW universe itself is so broad that there's only so much they can put into a SW land. To perfectly execute this, they would have to stick with locale that have gained the most familiarity and love by the SW fans. In other words, the land needs to be more based on the original trilogy and less on the prequel trilogy. From a merchandising standpoint, this can be a goldmine but I just don't wanna see it overshadow the rest of the park.

The Disney Parks need upgrades and expansions that will work with their parks, not cater to the hottest franchises for the sake of competition with Universal. All the rumored talk (particularly in the Disneyland section) about a possible Oz-land, John Carter-land, Lone Ranger-land, Tron-land, AiW live action version-land, and the rumored Monstropolis is kinda driving me crazy. I know none of it applies to WDW so much but you never know what the future holds in the heads of TDO suits.

•   
    • Banned User

I don't see Avatar as being anything more than a flash in the pan. It's not enough to base a whole land off of. What's really big one year is near-forgotten the next. Remember when the Matrix was really big? You won't see a single costume at Halloween or comic conventions for THAT anymore, that ship sailed. I see Avatar much the same.

Pirates is lukewarm. It's based on something that's been a Disney staple for decades and has a huge franchise so yes, it's viable.

Star Wars has always been big and now that there's a looming new trilogy from JJ Abrams in the near future it's definitely the hot property to go with. It's always been big, but now it's kind of reconfirmed as big since a breath of new life is in the near future.

Marvel's been big the last 10-15 years in terms of overall family appeal. Technically it's been big with many for decades but only lately has it been really, really big. I'm not sure it could still be big enough to base a land off of. A perfect example ( in fact, this really is a PERFECT example ) is the already existing Marvel land at Islands of Adventure. Someone already built one and although it was big at first, it seems to get kind of "meh" reactions today. I'm sure the Disney version of it would be better and involve more thought and overall theming and design, but the topic itself is above average at best.

They're using Avitar. It's craptacular.
    DisneyTwins
    Since May 2003

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • is in Antarctica

Quote Originally Posted by seafaring_ghost View Post
    Star Wars... It already has lasted over thirty years and is still relevant.
    There is a BIG difference between "still relevant" and will make people take vacation, spend thousands of dollars and visit.
    Get the latest and greatest theme park news by

•   
    • Minion

I don't think Disney really needs to swat Harry Potter. Yes it's a good land (I love it a lot) and yes universal is doing better. They have a long way to go tough to capture the audience and experience that Disney has already not to mention annual visitors.

Now my dream would be a real Star Wars area not just Star Tours and the Jedi academey. A real area devoted to the frachise with a cantina that serves weird looking drinks with a animtronic band like the one from the movies. At least two e-tickets on top of having Star Tours then sprinkle in some c an d ticket attractions. I thik Starwars could pretty much have a DHS sized park on it's own but I am very biased. Themed restaruants shows etc.

Oh and the comment above about Avatar not being at Comic shows last year at comic con there were plenty of Navi running around. Not more than Star Wars/Star Trek Characters of course
    Last edited by biggsworth; 05-10-2013 at 11:22 AM.

• Circle of Ancients

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by KingEric View Post
    There is a BIG difference between "still relevant" and will make people take vacation, spend thousands of dollars and visit.
    If there was an equally impressive STAR WARS land at Disney, I'd rather see it than Harry Potter.

I dunno, I just don't see Harry Potter surviving the test of time. Next big wizardy movie comes out and it is all over. ...or the wizardy fad will pass. ...like vampires did. ...or are doing I hope.

...I don't see Avatar Land doing that much better.

Sorta like Star Wars. Sure, it is cool, but is it an anchor attraction? ...well there are three more Star Wars movies coming out so in my opinion it makes more sense than Harry Plotter or Avatar land.

Of course I thought the Harry Potter movies pretty much sucked so pfft I may be completely out of touch.

Quote Originally Posted by jloucks View Post
    I dunno, I just don't see Harry Potter surviving the test of time. Next big wizardy movie comes out and it is all over. ...or the wizardy fad will pass. ...like vampires did. ...or are doing I hope.

...I don't see Avatar Land doing that much better.

Sorta like Star Wars. Sure, it is cool, but is it an anchor attraction? ...well there are three more Star Wars movies coming out so in my opinion it makes more sense than Harry Plotter or Avatar land.

Of course I thought the Harry Potter movies pretty much sucked so pfft I may be completely out of touch.
    Harry Potter has a far longer lifespan than Twilight and the two should not ever be compared. I believe in time when society thinks of wizards they will associate with Harry Potter, similar to how elves are associated with The Lord of the Rings due to the rich tapestry that both series used to create their worlds. I will be surprised if a any other wizarding story actual does outdo HP because I think the possibility of that is pretty low. I am a fan of the books. The movies were okay but I hated David Yates direction with the last four films.

• Heavy Breather

Star Wars all the way!! My life would then be complete!

Page 1 of 5 1234 ... LastLast