Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Results 16 to 30 of 50
  1. #16

    • Nutty about Disney parks
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Indianapolis, IN
    Posts
    2,517

    Re: Walt Disney World and Universal Studios cannot be compaired!

    Quote Originally Posted by jloucks View Post
    lol, wut? I have no idea what you are talking about...but it is still funny.
    He's referring to the Enchanted Tales with Belle attraction...which is more of a short interactive show. It's not a bad show but it's more something for the little kiddies which some find it to be a disappointment considering how over-publicized the New Fantasyland was.
    Toonaspie: I have Asperger's. I like cartoons. Toonaspie!

  2. #17

    • 1,200 Miles from da Mouse
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Chicago, Illinois, United States
    Posts
    900

    Re: Walt Disney World and Universal Studios cannot be compaired!

    When I went to UNI/IoA two years ago I was alittle upset over how little I could do...I mean they had what seemed like 5 coasters in IoA and I basically was finished???

    Disney I could do everything if I wanted to, I think that's one of the differences, and ye I thought Wizarding World was pretty damn cool and very immersive
    The test of success is not what you do when you are on top. Success is how high you bounce when you hit bottom.
    -George S. Patton


  3. #18

    • Heavy Breather
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    A Galaxy Far Far Away
    Posts
    727

    Re: Walt Disney World and Universal Studios cannot be compaired!

    Well of course they can't be compared sillies!!

  4. #19

    • formerly very helpful
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Southern California
    Posts
    4,306

    Re: Walt Disney World and Universal Studios cannot be compaired!

    Oops. Sorry.

  5. #20

    • Senior Minion
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Posts
    8,890

    Re: Walt Disney World and Universal Studios cannot be compaired!

    I think comparisons between the current WDW and Universal Studios are irrelevant.

    What's relevant is comparing the current rate of improvement between WDW and Universal studios.
    "With the acquisition of Marvel and now of Lucasfilm,
    Disney may have finally found the grail. You don't need
    imagination or art. All you need is a brand."

    - Neil Gabler


  6. #21

    • MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • is in Antarctica
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Orlando, Florida
    Posts
    4,450

    Re: Walt Disney World and Universal Studios cannot be compaired!

    Quote Originally Posted by Mr Wiggins View Post
    I think comparisons between the current WDW and Universal Studios are irrelevant.

    What's relevant is comparing the current rate of improvement between WDW and Universal studios.
    I would agree with this.

    Honestly what I tell people is that Disney and Universal are NOT interchangeable experiences. Both of them offer something different, and worth exploring!

    I visit both for different reasons, and while I have become a Universal "fanboy" in the past few years, I by no means "hate" Disney. I just want Disney to excite me again.
    Get the latest and greatest theme park news by


  7. #22

    • Senior Member
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Orlando
    Posts
    596

    Re: Walt Disney World and Universal Studios cannot be compaired!

    But Disney can, really NEVER excite us again. Eisner, who LOVED competition is gone, Baxter is gone, WDI 2nd generation bloodbath is forthcoming (Rhode bailing at DAKs 15th). Yea we got CarsLand, but that was all Lasseter doing all Rowling on WDI

  8. #23

    • MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • is in Antarctica
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Orlando, Florida
    Posts
    4,450

    Re: Walt Disney World and Universal Studios cannot be compaired!

    Quote Originally Posted by JCSkipr79 View Post
    But Disney can, really NEVER excite us again. Eisner, who LOVED competition is gone, Baxter is gone, WDI 2nd generation bloodbath is forthcoming (Rhode bailing at DAKs 15th). Yea we got CarsLand, but that was all Lasseter doing all Rowling on WDI
    I agree so much with you. It is pretty tragic. But I will never say never. But I also will not hold my breath.
    Get the latest and greatest theme park news by


  9. #24

    • Certified in everything
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    I'll never tell!
    Posts
    487

    Re: Walt Disney World and Universal Studios cannot be compaired!

    This sounds like a big excuse for Disney's admitted lack development as of recent. The idea that Disney has too much on its plate to build new quality attractions is ridiculous, but even if it were true what does that mean? Is the average tourist supposed to continue to choose Disney over Universal because although Universal is growing faster, "Disney has a lot more on their plate"? King Eric says it best:

    Quote Originally Posted by KingEric View Post
    Quality > Quantity. Universal is putting out better Quality IMO. If you like buffets, and a Wal-Mart experience then WDW is for you.
    I also don't like the assertion that the two destinations can't be compared. Sure if we are talking about master planning or land use they are hugely different, but at the end of the day these are the two biggest theme park operators in the world operating multiple world class theme parks mere miles from one another. What destination makes a better comparison to WDW than Universal Orlando? If you can't think of one and still won't use Universal Orlando then we all lose. These parks benefit from competition, and if you put WDW in its own standalone untouchable category you lose that competition.

    I agree that Avatarland will be Disney's true response to Potter, but it will be 7 years too late and is no where near as exciting of a property in terms of fan interest or content.
    Disneyland Wooooh!

    "You see- Everybody's got a laughin' place, trouble is most folks won't take the time to go look for it."

  10. #25

    • Member
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Portland, OR
    Posts
    173

    Re: Walt Disney World and Universal Studios cannot be compaired!

    Quote Originally Posted by JCSkipr79 View Post
    But Disney can, really NEVER excite us again.
    This begs an edit. Feel free to declare they can never excite you again, but please don't presume to speak universally (no pun intended).

    I remain excited by both Disneyland and Walt Disney World. AND I'm excited to visit Universal -- a destination I'd long-since given up on (from the days when the most thrilling attractions they could boast were a drive-by of a dry-docked JAWS and a green screen ET.) I happen to think the competition is going to be a good thing for park-goes...ALL park goers. But I also don't expect instant gratification -- imagination and innovation take time, no matter what park your taking about.

    I, for one, am excited to see what comes of the Avatar inspiration. What Disney's done with Carsland (a movie that didn't particularly speak to me) gives me great optimism that they can realize something imaginative, immersive, and whimsical out of Pandora. I'm certainly willing to wait to experience it before I judge it a failure. But beyond the new, I'm excited by walking down Main Street, by fireworks, that first drop in Pirates, the rush of zooming through the darkness in Space Mountain...yeah, I'm excited by a lot of it.

    It's evident that a number of folks here have written off WDW as the "Walmart of theme parks," and dismiss those who are still captivated by them as buffet-loving numbskulls. That Disney still excites me doesn't make me ignorant of or blind to their missteps or the areas that need improvement. It's possible to be discerning and exercise critical thinking and still come out liking something, being excited by it -- flaws and all.

    The truth is, we all have our unique experience of the parks, and they are colored by very complicated filters. To present a personal perception as an objective measure of quality is misguided, to say the least. Debate away, but understand that neither opinion nor interpretation = facts. And kindly refrain from speaking for everyone and/or deriding those who happen to have a contrasting point of view.

  11. #26

    • I'm Theme Park Happy!
    • Offline

    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Texas
    Posts
    2,559

    Re: Walt Disney World and Universal Studios cannot be compaired!

    Quote Originally Posted by emwhysee View Post
    This begs an edit. Feel free to declare they can never excite you again, but please don't presume to speak universally (no pun intended).

    I remain excited by both Disneyland and Walt Disney World. AND I'm excited to visit Universal -- a destination I'd long-since given up on (from the days when the most thrilling attractions they could boast were a drive-by of a dry-docked JAWS and a green screen ET.) I happen to think the competition is going to be a good thing for park-goes...ALL park goers. But I also don't expect instant gratification -- imagination and innovation take time, no matter what park your taking about.

    I, for one, am excited to see what comes of the Avatar inspiration. What Disney's done with Carsland (a movie that didn't particularly speak to me) gives me great optimism that they can realize something imaginative, immersive, and whimsical out of Pandora. I'm certainly willing to wait to experience it before I judge it a failure. But beyond the new, I'm excited by walking down Main Street, by fireworks, that first drop in Pirates, the rush of zooming through the darkness in Space Mountain...yeah, I'm excited by a lot of it.

    It's evident that a number of folks here have written off WDW as the "Walmart of theme parks," and dismiss those who are still captivated by them as buffet-loving numbskulls. That Disney still excites me doesn't make me ignorant of or blind to their missteps or the areas that need improvement. It's possible to be discerning and exercise critical thinking and still come out liking something, being excited by it -- flaws and all.

    The truth is, we all have our unique experience of the parks, and they are colored by very complicated filters. To present a personal perception as an objective measure of quality is misguided, to say the least. Debate away, but understand that neither opinion nor interpretation = facts. And kindly refrain from speaking for everyone and/or deriding those who happen to have a contrasting point of view.
    Here here! Your post is simply positively the best post of the entire WDW forums from here to the furthest reaches of the interweb.

    I have a trip to Disneyland/D23 scheduled, another trip to WDW later this season and future plans for Universal once all is done with Mr. Potter. I enjoy all the parks and what's to come from all coasts. People do like to pick sides and plan funerals for kingdoms but I still, like you, am "excited" for what's to come.
    Micoofy Duck
    Disney Theme Park Fan #4,584,376
    http://www.micoofy.com



  12. #27

    • Junior Member
    • Offline

    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Orlando, FL
    Posts
    484

    Re: Walt Disney World and Universal Studios cannot be compaired!

    Quote Originally Posted by Micoofy Duck View Post
    I'm just tired of Universal Studios relying on the same recent ride concept. 3D screens mixed with a ride that moves here and there in short bursts. Why can't we just have an actual dark ride. Why always screens and 3D glasses. That's something Disney is NOT doing in all their recent additions. There are substance to their New Fantasyland expansions, Carsland. The rides themselves are better than Universal's pocket rides as I Like to call them.

    Simpsons ride, 3D stationary.
    Harry Potter Hogwarts castle ride. 3D and moving.
    Transformers. SAME THING.
    Despicable Me, 3D screen.
    The new Diagon alley ride, screens and moving.
    The amazing Spiderman redo, 3D and moving.

    And yes I'm well aware of the large amounts of rides that don't rely on 3D but I'm talking about the recent upgrades and additions. That's why they are opening quicker and faster. Less ride to build, more visual screen than substance and depth.

    But I will give credit to the areas surrounding the Harry Potter rides. Depth and substance there but the ride should be just as good as the outside show area.

    as for comparisons. Walmart is Walmart. WDW is WDW. Comparing them is like comparing Water and Oil.
    A 3D dark ride is still a dark ride, ie Spider-Man and Transformers. You're still moving through a space, on a track, with real sets around you. Hence it's a dark ride.

    Forbidden Journey is not 3D. I'm guessing you haven't actually ridden it. Yes, there are screens, but there are also scenes consisting entirely of sets.* This will also apply to Gringotts, which is a dark ride/coaster hybrid. It's silly to compare all of these attractions, as their different ride systems make for very different experiences. There's much more involved than just screens.


    *Did I mention that Forbidden Journey's queue, by itself, is more impressive than most dark rides?
    Last edited by JtnOrl; 05-12-2013 at 08:15 PM.

  13. #28

    • I'm Theme Park Happy!
    • Offline

    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Texas
    Posts
    2,559

    Re: Walt Disney World and Universal Studios cannot be compaired!

    Quote Originally Posted by JtnOrl View Post
    Hence it's a dark ride.

    Forbidden Journey is not 3D. I'm guessing you haven't actually ridden it. Yes, there are screens, but there are also scenes consisting entirely of sets.* This will also apply to Gringotts, which is a dark ride/coaster hybrid. It's silly to compare all of these attractions, as their different ride systems make for very different experiences. There's much more involved than just screens.


    *Did I mention that Forbidden Journey's queue, by itself, is more impressive than most dark rides?
    I'm sure Forbidden Journey is great, I do look forward to riding it after the expansion is complete but it is still screens and a track where you stop and view screens among real show elements. My point is if the screens are not working then the ride has failed. 3D or not, these rides rely on a screen too heavily. A dark ride is what I'm use to and what I see at the Disney resorts. The classic dark rides can still be done today without the heavy use of screens. I think they are an easy way out for Universal Studios.

    It would be completely fair to say a dark ride are now subjective as are opinions.

    And according to rumors and leaked plans Gringotts is too relying on screens with the limited amount of space they are choosing to work with. Plus the Hogwarts train is rumored to have screens as well that make you appear you are moving within the film. So once again if these screens are not working the ride itself has failed.

    The new Snow White mountain at the Magic Kingdom so far does not rely on screens as Universal Rides do. Maybe some of that impressive Forbidden Journey que should have been given up for an actual ride space for more impressive scenes that you can see in person rather than on a large screen.

    Micoofy Duck
    Disney Theme Park Fan #4,584,376
    http://www.micoofy.com



  14. #29

    • Metro-Retro Historian
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Brava Centauri
    Posts
    990

    Re: Walt Disney World and Universal Studios cannot be compaired!

    As long as Disney keeps trying to beat Universal by playing Universal's game they will continue to fall short. They need to stop letting movie marketing executives dictate their direction.
    It bothers me when people selectively edit quotes to support whatever point they are trying to prove.

  15. #30

    • Junior Member
    • Offline

    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Orlando, FL
    Posts
    484

    Re: Walt Disney World and Universal Studios cannot be compaired!

    Quote Originally Posted by Micoofy Duck View Post
    I'm sure Forbidden Journey is great, I do look forward to riding it after the expansion is complete but it is still screens and a track where you stop and view screens among real show elements.
    I think you should refrain from commenting on the ride until you've been on it. You simply don't have a firm grasp on the attraction if you think every scene is reliant on screens. That isn't the case.

    My point is if the screens are not working then the ride has failed. 3D or not, these rides rely on a screen too heavily.
    Universal doesn't continue running their rides when major show pieces aren't working, so that's a moot point. When a ride breaks down, like in your video, it's evacuated and fixed as quickly as possible.

    And according to rumors and leaked plans Gringotts is too relying on screens with the limited amount of space they are choosing to work with.
    Limited space? Have you seen the Gringotts building? It's huge. The ride will have screens, yes, but it won't rely on them that heavily.

    Plus the Hogwarts train is rumored to have screens as well that make you appear you are moving within the film. So once again if these screens are not working the ride itself has failed.
    Their only other option was a scenic tour of backstage. I'll take the screens.

    Maybe some of that impressive Forbidden Journey que should have been given up for an actual ride space for more impressive scenes that you can see in person rather than on a large screen.
    Well you can't please everyone. I don't think a queue that's too short to handle the attraction's lines would please anyone though. They've already had to add an extension to it since opening. On occasion, the line would even begin in Jurassic Park!
    Last edited by JtnOrl; 05-12-2013 at 09:33 PM.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. [Trip Report] Walt Disney World and Universal Orlando- DING DING DING DING DING DING!!
    By Rocker in forum Walt Disney World Resort
    Replies: 27
    Last Post: 07-06-2011, 05:35 PM
  2. [Trip Report] 12 Days in Orlando: Walt Disney World, Universal, and the Kennedy Space Center
    By BC_DisneyGeek in forum Walt Disney World Resort
    Replies: 118
    Last Post: 12-16-2010, 08:03 PM
  3. [Question] Walt Disney World and Disneyland dvds?
    By Homan in forum Walt Disney World Resort
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 09-02-2009, 05:14 PM
  4. [Question] Walt Disney World and Disneyland Posters
    By etwtec in forum Walt Disney World Resort
    Replies: 17
    Last Post: 02-09-2009, 05:10 PM
  5. Walt Disney World and the Florida Drought
    By BassBone in forum Walt Disney World Resort
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 06-01-2007, 10:30 AM

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •