Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Results 31 to 45 of 50
  1. #31

    • Senior Minion
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Posts
    8,890

    Re: Walt Disney World and Universal Studios cannot be compaired!

    Quote Originally Posted by Dapper Dan View Post
    As long as Disney keeps trying to beat Universal by playing Universal's game they will continue to fall short. They need to stop letting movie marketing executives dictate their direction.
    Exactly right. Sadly, Disney Parks is run by corporate finance, strategic planning and movie marketing executives who were trained for years by Michael Eisner. They have no vision for the parks beyond Michael's mandate that they're "all about turning movies into rides" -- a blatant ripoff of Universal's "Ride the Movies" model.
    "With the acquisition of Marvel and now of Lucasfilm,
    Disney may have finally found the grail. You don't need
    imagination or art. All you need is a brand."

    - Neil Gabler


  2. #32

    • I'm Theme Park Happy!
    • Offline

    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Texas
    Posts
    2,566

    Re: Walt Disney World and Universal Studios cannot be compaired!

    Quote Originally Posted by JtnOrl View Post
    I think you should refrain from commenting on the ride until you've been on it. You simply don't have a firm grasp on the attraction if you think every scene is reliant on screens. That isn't the case.
    From what I've seen in the video I Posted, with the lights on.. I do see more than you would when riding it in the dark.

    Plus the world comments on Avatarland aggressively and the place hasn't even been built yet. I think I can have my opinion on a ride and the design elements without having been on it. Especially when there's a perfectly great video that shows how the ride works and how the sets are built. I don't have to visit Paris to know it's beautiful and I don't have to ride this ride to have an opinion on it.
    Micoofy Duck
    Disney Theme Park Fan #4,584,376
    http://www.micoofy.com



  3. #33

    • Senior Minion
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Posts
    8,890

    Re: Walt Disney World and Universal Studios cannot be compaired!

    ^ This +10. You absolutely have the right to post your opinion on this ride and anything else concerning Disney.
    "With the acquisition of Marvel and now of Lucasfilm,
    Disney may have finally found the grail. You don't need
    imagination or art. All you need is a brand."

    - Neil Gabler


  4. #34

    • Junior Member
    • Offline

    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Orlando, FL
    Posts
    496

    Re: Walt Disney World and Universal Studios cannot be compaired!

    Quote Originally Posted by Micoofy Duck View Post
    From what I've seen in the video I Posted, with the lights on.. I do see more than you would when riding it in the dark.

    Plus the world comments on Avatarland aggressively and the place hasn't even been built yet. I think I can have my opinion on a ride and the design elements without having been on it. Especially when there's a perfectly great video that shows how the ride works and how the sets are built. I don't have to visit Paris to know it's beautiful and I don't have to ride this ride to have an opinion on it.
    Can you hold an in-depth conversation about Paris with someone who's been there? Doubt it. Look, we could all start sharing opinions willy-nilly on things we have little to no first-hand experience with, but the quality of such a conversation would be dreadful, as you can't have a meaningful, accurate opinion about something without the necessary experience. It's just a fact. What you're doing is like trying to teach a class without having taken it. If knowledge weren't a prerequisite, we could all be teachers.

    And no, you haven't experienced the attraction by watching a Youtube video. Especially one where it isn't even operating properly.
    Last edited by JtnOrl; 05-12-2013 at 11:28 PM.

  5. #35

    • New Member
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    Buffalo, New York
    Posts
    13

    Re: Walt Disney World and Universal Studios cannot be compaired!

    Quote Originally Posted by Micoofy Duck View Post
    I'm just tired of Universal Studios relying on the same recent ride concept. 3D screens mixed with a ride that moves here and there in short bursts. Why can't we just have an actual dark ride. Why always screens and 3D glasses. That's something Disney is NOT doing in all their recent additions. There are substance to their New Fantasyland expansions, Carsland. The rides themselves are better than Universal's pocket rides as I Like to call them.

    Simpsons ride, 3D stationary.
    Harry Potter Hogwarts castle ride. screens and moving.
    Transformers. 3D and moving with stops.
    Despicable Me, 3D screen.
    The new Diagon alley ride, screens and moving.
    The amazing Spiderman redo, 3D and moving.

    And yes I'm well aware of the large amounts of rides that don't rely on 3D but I'm talking about the recent upgrades and additions. That's why they are opening quicker and faster. Less ride to build, more visual screen than substance and depth.

    But I will give credit to the areas surrounding the Harry Potter rides. Depth and substance there but the ride should be just as good as the outside show area.

    as for comparisons. Walmart is Walmart. WDW is WDW. Comparing them is like comparing Water and Oil.
    Walmart is Walmart. WDW is WDW. Comparing them is like comparing Water and Oil.

    That was my whole point here!
    I'm like a shooting star, I've come so far. I cant go back to where I used to be.
    -Jasmine.


  6. #36

    • Closed Account
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Orlando
    Posts
    661

    Re: Walt Disney World and Universal Studios cannot be compaired!

    Micoofy is CLASSIC Disney fanboi. "Uni sux cause they have screens on rides ive NEVER been on but ill wait 3hrs for Midway Mania and Soarin". Oh yea........and Uni. can no way run rides without FX operating for more than a couple a days cause Warners AND Rowling demanded that all FX be fiexed within days and everytime I ride Forbidden Journey something that wanst working gets fixed the next time I visit. But enjoy Disco Yeti and broken dinos and mold in Norway.......

  7. #37

    • I'm Theme Park Happy!
    • Offline

    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Texas
    Posts
    2,566

    Re: Walt Disney World and Universal Studios cannot be compaired!

    Quote Originally Posted by JtnOrl View Post
    Can you hold an in-depth conversation about Paris with someone who's been there? Doubt it. Look, we could all start sharing opinions willy-nilly on things we have little to no first-hand experience with, but the quality of such a conversation would be dreadful, as you can't have a meaningful, accurate opinion about something without the necessary experience. It's just a fact. What you're doing is like trying to teach a class without having taken it. If knowledge weren't a prerequisite, we could all be teachers.

    And no, you haven't experienced the attraction by watching a Youtube video. Especially one where it isn't even operating properly.
    Thanks for the input. You should really focus on the opinion that the OP asked for in regards to comparing the park versus coming after me and anyone else posting on forums across the web on how to properly post opinions and what guidelines one should follow as well as who is allowed to post an opinion because in the end it all comes to your opinion on how others should voice their opinions.
    Micoofy Duck
    Disney Theme Park Fan #4,584,376
    http://www.micoofy.com



  8. #38

    • 1,200 Miles from da Mouse
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Chicago, Illinois, United States
    Posts
    904

    Re: Walt Disney World and Universal Studios cannot be compaired!

    After being to potterland lemme tell you the ride and the qeue are great, the land was very detailed, hell they even had actirs as Hogwarts choir and stuff it was pretty cool...that being said I was alittle disapointed with the size of it all...

    That being said, with the attention to detail have Disney and Unis roles kinda flipped? Is Disney now becoming the very thing they were built to get away from i.e. the dirty half run down carnival, and Uni is the new innovator???

    If recent trends continue I'd say yes unfortunately...though I do still enjoy my time at Disney very much so..
    The test of success is not what you do when you are on top. Success is how high you bounce when you hit bottom.
    -George S. Patton


  9. #39

    •     
      MiceChat Senior Moderator
    • Orbital Pluto
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    Oceanside, CA
    Posts
    4,330

    Re: Walt Disney World and Universal Studios cannot be compaired!

    Folks, you can argue any point you believe to be true for you. You can make on-topic points about the on-topic statements of others, but you may never go for the personal. If you do so, you will find that those who follow the rules of this site, may correctly mark your post with negative reputation. It's about the topic, not the clever turns of a phrase attacking posters here. Please show some respect for others in this conversation, respect for yourself by not acting as your evil 13 year old self, and respect for this site which provides this forum and only asks that you be kind to each other.

    Thanks for your help.
    "Not Carnegie, Vanderbilt, and Astor together could have
    raised money enough to buy a quarter share in my little dog."

    Ernest Thompson Seton

  10. #40

    • Minion
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Paper St
    Posts
    1,346

    Re: Walt Disney World and Universal Studios cannot be compaired!

    Quote Originally Posted by Micoofy Duck View Post
    I'm sure Forbidden Journey is great, I do look forward to riding it after the expansion is complete but it is still screens and a track where you stop and view screens among real show elements. My point is if the screens are not working then the ride has failed. 3D or not, these rides rely on a screen too heavily. A dark ride is what I'm use to and what I see at the Disney resorts. The classic dark rides can still be done today without the heavy use of screens. I think they are an easy way out for Universal Studios.

    It would be completely fair to say a dark ride are now subjective as are opinions.

    And according to rumors and leaked plans Gringotts is too relying on screens with the limited amount of space they are choosing to work with. Plus the Hogwarts train is rumored to have screens as well that make you appear you are moving within the film. So once again if these screens are not working the ride itself has failed.

    The new Snow White mountain at the Magic Kingdom so far does not rely on screens as Universal Rides do. Maybe some of that impressive Forbidden Journey que should have been given up for an actual ride space for more impressive scenes that you can see in person rather than on a large screen.

    That was a really cool video, thank you!

    But to your point, you can clearly see that even with the effects off, the animatronics not operational, the movement of the ride turned off, and the lights on, that FJ is much more than just a screen ride. Spider-Man, Transformers, Simpsons...ok yeah I'll give you those. But Forbidden Journey is a step in the right direction and though the Bank ride will be 3-D, it should still be equipped with realistic set pieces.

    To be fair, though you can criticize Universal for being cheap, they're also attempting things never done before. The world of Harry Potter is pretty impossible to create using realistic sets. Even when Disney was approached with the property, their proposal was to create a Midway Mania type ride...what do you know, that involves screens! There's no other way to portray (effectively) flight, Quidditch, etc.

    Now when Universal makes a ride about pirates or haunted houses, and it is totally reliant on screens and 3-D, then we can talk. But their recent additions are thrill rides about action and a lot of times flight and speed, and that is not something that can be recreated with sets. 'Real' figures require the guest to know that they are grounded and moving slowly. PotC and HM are supposed to be slow-moving experiences but Spiderman, Transformers, and FJ are not, and there's absolutely no way to portray the type of experience offered by those attractions with anything other than screen technology.

    That being said, any ride that Disney creates meant to simulate speed, flight, fast-moving figures, etc. (Star Tours, Soarin, Mystic Manor), they also use screens. While people may definitely prefer real sets to screens, you can't call a park better or worse for it simply because the technology Universal and Disney use are reliant on what story they are trying to tell, which are two different things. Had Star Tours been made using sets and Men in Black had been made using 3-D, we could talk, but for the time being, the amount of 'screen rides' in each park isn't really a measure of quality, just a matter of the appropriate medium used to tell stories.

  11. #41

    • I'm Theme Park Happy!
    • Offline

    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Texas
    Posts
    2,566

    Re: Walt Disney World and Universal Studios cannot be compaired!

    Quote Originally Posted by TylerDurden View Post
    That was a really cool video, thank you!

    But to your point, you can clearly see that even with the effects off, the animatronics not operational, the movement of the ride turned off, and the lights on, that FJ is much more than just a screen ride. Spider-Man, Transformers, Simpsons...ok yeah I'll give you those. But Forbidden Journey is a step in the right direction and though the Bank ride will be 3-D, it should still be equipped with realistic set pieces.

    To be fair, though you can criticize Universal for being cheap, they're also attempting things never done before. The world of Harry Potter is pretty impossible to create using realistic sets. Even when Disney was approached with the property, their proposal was to create a Midway Mania type ride...what do you know, that involves screens! There's no other way to portray (effectively) flight, Quidditch, etc.

    Now when Universal makes a ride about pirates or haunted houses, and it is totally reliant on screens and 3-D, then we can talk. But their recent additions are thrill rides about action and a lot of times flight and speed, and that is not something that can be recreated with sets. 'Real' figures require the guest to know that they are grounded and moving slowly. PotC and HM are supposed to be slow-moving experiences but Spiderman, Transformers, and FJ are not, and there's absolutely no way to portray the type of experience offered by those attractions with anything other than screen technology.

    That being said, any ride that Disney creates meant to simulate speed, flight, fast-moving figures, etc. (Star Tours, Soarin, Mystic Manor), they also use screens. While people may definitely prefer real sets to screens, you can't call a park better or worse for it simply because the technology Universal and Disney use are reliant on what story they are trying to tell, which are two different things. Had Star Tours been made using sets and Men in Black had been made using 3-D, we could talk, but for the time being, the amount of 'screen rides' in each park isn't really a measure of quality, just a matter of the appropriate medium used to tell stories.
    Great post. Well said.

    I must say I loved Universal's King Kong ride, not the 3D SCREEN one, and I loved Universal Studio's Earthquake ride as well as the Twister attraction and my favorite one, Jaws. For me these were RIDES and what defined what Universal Studios could do well. I want more of those types of rides versus what's being built in the Universal parks lately. I feel like I'm getting those type of rides with Disney with their latest park offerings on both coasts. Their new offerings are the reason I keep booking trips out to Disney for these new attractions.

    I have yet to rebook a Universal Studios vacation package because I personally don't like the new additions and their use of screens. I will of course visit Universal Studios again when Mr. Potter is done with his magical improvements but nothing they are offering is drawing me in as of right now.

    I just feel Universal has found a short cut method in designing new attractions and I want diversity, no more screens.
    Micoofy Duck
    Disney Theme Park Fan #4,584,376
    http://www.micoofy.com



  12. #42

    • Metro-Retro Historian
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Brava Centauri
    Posts
    1,028

    Re: Walt Disney World and Universal Studios cannot be compaired!

    Quote Originally Posted by Mr Wiggins View Post
    Exactly right. Sadly, Disney Parks is run by corporate finance, strategic planning and movie marketing executives who were trained for years by Michael Eisner. They have no vision for the parks beyond Michael's mandate that they're "all about turning movies into rides" -- a blatant ripoff of Universal's "Ride the Movies" model.
    Beyond just the simple original rides vs rides based on movies, Disney is completely ignoring the tremendous potential of their property. They have a huge piece of land with lakes and rivers to do virtually whatever they want with. They use this tremendous asset to build rides about movies in theme parks and individual Vegas style themed hotels.

    These are things that Universal does as well because they have to. They don't have nearly as much space, so the best they can ever hope for is really good parks with really good hotels and a really good shopping district. They made those things because that's what Disney made and Disney defined the game. Now Disney is trying to do what Universal is doing better, but don't realize that Universal is trying to do Disney so everything turns out stupid.

    There used to be a time when Disney would do something new and everyone else would rush to catch up and try to recreate it. By the time the competitors got anywhere near the crazy thing Disney did, they had already moved on to something even more innovative. They don't innovate anymore so they just have a bigger, more spread out, and prettier version of what Universal has instead of changing the game on them again.

    Unless they think My Magic+ is going to revolutionize theme parks and resorts, because it's not. Not the way they are using it at least.

    I find the current trend of using digital projections both with and without 3D as the primary focus troubling. It makes sense because it's pretty inexpensive and you can do some pretty neat stuff with it, but it's not nearly as engaging as practical effects. When you see something neat happen on a screen you know it's just some computer animation. When Belle's mirror turns into a door, that's pretty amazing. I don't mind projections being used to enhance scenes (especially as backdrops) but when you're just sitting in a simulator staring at a screen the whole time, there's not much wizardry there.
    It bothers me when people selectively edit quotes to support whatever point they are trying to prove.

  13. #43

    • MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • is in Antarctica
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Orlando, Florida
    Posts
    4,450

    Re: Walt Disney World and Universal Studios cannot be compaired!

    If I were in charge of the Walt Disney Company I would fast track the following action plans:

    1: Grand Avatarland, larger and bigger than anything imaginable.
    2: A massive overhaul of the World Showcase... A "Ride Around the World" strategy.
    a) Log Flume in Canada
    b) Alice in Wonderland in UK
    c) Ratatouille Ride from Paris in France
    d) Aladdin's Magic Carpet relocated from Adventureland to Morocco
    e) Mount Fuji in Japan
    f) America - keep the same
    g) Gondola Boat ride in Italy
    h) Autobahn Roller coaster - Germany
    i) Launched coaster in China
    k) Norway - keep the same
    l) Mexico - keep the same

    With that kind of build out in the Worldshow case you would see insane increase in shopping and dining.
    Get the latest and greatest theme park news by


  14. #44

    • Metro-Retro Historian
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Brava Centauri
    Posts
    1,028

    Re: Walt Disney World and Universal Studios cannot be compaired!

    Ooh, I want to play along too.

    If I were in charge of the Walt Disney Company I would fast track the following action plans:

    1: Grand Beastly Kingdom, that would make the Wizarding World look like Chester & Hesters.
    2: Resort-wide transportation upgrades, none of which involve buses.
    3: Massive revamp of Disney Hollywood Studios.
    a) Golden Age (Hollywood blvd)
    b) Film Noir Alley (Sunset blvd)
    c) Action/Adventure (Echo Lake)
    d) On Location (Streets of America)
    e) Pixar Place (same location + expansion)
    f) Disney Animation Studio (Animation Courtyard + expansion)
    4: World Showcase attractions.
    a) Log Flume in Canada
    b) Globe Theater animatronic show in UK
    c) Hot Air Balloon dark ride in France
    d) Not sure what to do yet in Morocco
    e) Meet The World converted into a dark ride in Japan
    f) America keep the same
    g) Gondola Boat ride in Italy
    h) Rhine River Cruise in Germany
    i) China keep the same
    k) Expand the Maelstrom with a longer ride and better drop in Norway
    l) Mexico keep the same
    It bothers me when people selectively edit quotes to support whatever point they are trying to prove.

  15. #45

    • New Member Goes Forth
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Cambridge, UK (So far away from DCA...)
    Posts
    535

    Re: Walt Disney World and Universal Studios cannot be compaired!

    As Eric has said, it is all about quality over quatity. At the moment WDW has four theme parks, and two of them are ripe for redevelopment. However, USO has two theme parks, and they all look fresh and recently, there has been an influx of new attractions
    The new Star Wars plot summery:

    Episode 7: Luke discovers that Darth Vader is not his father, and goes on a search for his real father

    Episode 8: Darth Vader is resurrected and goes on Jerry Springer, claiming he is Luke and Leia's father

    Episode 9: Princes Leia is not Luke's sister, making him furious (we all know why...).

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. [Trip Report] Walt Disney World and Universal Orlando- DING DING DING DING DING DING!!
    By Rocker in forum Walt Disney World Resort
    Replies: 27
    Last Post: 07-06-2011, 05:35 PM
  2. [Trip Report] 12 Days in Orlando: Walt Disney World, Universal, and the Kennedy Space Center
    By BC_DisneyGeek in forum Walt Disney World Resort
    Replies: 118
    Last Post: 12-16-2010, 08:03 PM
  3. [Question] Walt Disney World and Disneyland dvds?
    By Homan in forum Walt Disney World Resort
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 09-02-2009, 05:14 PM
  4. [Question] Walt Disney World and Disneyland Posters
    By etwtec in forum Walt Disney World Resort
    Replies: 17
    Last Post: 02-09-2009, 05:10 PM
  5. Walt Disney World and the Florida Drought
    By BassBone in forum Walt Disney World Resort
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 06-01-2007, 10:30 AM

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •