Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Lightbulb Walt Disney World and Universal Studios cannot be compaired!

Today, Jeff asked a thought provoking question at the end of Dateline Disney World.

Do you like what you see so far with the Mine Train? Will it be able to hold a candle to Universal’s Diagon Alley from Harry Potter that is opening at roughly the same time?

This really got me thinking, and I'd like to take it a little bit further. What do you guys think, feel free to venture a little off topic if you feel it relevant. This is not about picking sides, its about me feeling you cant group these two amazing theme parks together.

Here was my response,

There’s a lot of talk about Disney / Universal openings and who will beat out who. The fact of the matter is, Disney is a totally different park then Universal. People go to the Magic Kingdom for exactly this type of ride and these types of themes (seven dwarfs mine train) . Sure, Disney can use another themed land. Avatar land will probably be Disney’s response to Harry Potter- not the one Mine Train ride, heck not even the Fantasy Land expansion a whole. The fantasy land expansion IMO was a much needed plus on the land. I’m not saying Avatar is what myself or anyone would have picked for Animal Kingdom, or any park- but the reality is that Disney knows what they’re doing. They’ve built the most successful theme parks in the world. Avatar land will continue to be critiqued, but I think without a doubt any major project Disney sets out to do will blow quite a few minds when its finished. Yes Universal is setting EXTREMELY fast time goals, and making them all -while still ending up with amazing products. An amazing accomplishment for them and there guests. Just think though, Avatar land is going to take a long time to build, maybe (hopefully) that means there are a lot of big ideas and great details surrounding them. You also have to remember Disney has much much more on their plates. Just in Florida Disney has
    • Four theme parks
    • Two water parks
    • 23 resort hotels, including six Disney Vacation Club properties
    • Championship golf courses
    • Disney’s Wide World of Sports Complex
    • Downtown Disney

That’s a lot to maintain while continuing to build, imagine, and plus. That’s just it though, we all spend millions to keep Disney doing just that, keeping the Magic current, clean, and exciting. Disney does a great job making sure everyone can have a good time- age 1- 100, 1st visit or 100th…people are still left coming back. That is what will keep Disney topping theme park charts for probably as long at theme parks are still around. I love Universal, really its an amazing theme park. I could go on and on about all the great things there, but when it comes down to comparing the parks as wholes over Fantasy Land expansion, Avatar Land and Harry Potter expansion is just not an accurate comparison. Universal and Disney are SO very different in all aspects. Let me finish by saying, I hope this ” feud” of what park is better NEVER ends. Why? because that is exactly what keeps the parks striving to please all of us, theme park fanatics coming back for more!
    I'm like a shooting star, I've come so far. I cant go back to where I used to be.
    -Jasmine.

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • is in Antarctica

Re: Walt Disney World and Universal Studios cannot be compaired!

Quality > Quantity. Universal is putting out better Quality IMO. If you like buffets, and a Wal-Mart experience then WDW is for you.
    Get the latest and greatest theme park news by

• враг народа

Blog Entries

The idea that Walt Disney World must have more to do because it have four theme parks is a bit of a fallacy. The Disneyland Resort feature just as many, if not more, attractions as the four theme parks of Walt Disney World. Disney has a lot of dead space in Florida that eats up time because you have to move around between each offering, being it on foot or a slow as molasses bus system or a monorail system that is falling apart.

• Senior Minion

Quote Originally Posted by clewandowski View Post
    They’ve built the most successful theme parks in the world.
    I think they've marketed the most successful theme parks in the world. When it comes to "building," they're strictly riding the coattails of their pre-Eisner predecessors, and sometimes barely accomplishing that. Without the paint-by-numbers guide of a hit franchise to copy, they're lost in the woods -- and even with it, they frequently fail to achieve anything like the innovation, imagination and creativity of the people who actually built the two most successful theme parks in the world, Disneyland and Walt Disney World.
    "With the acquisition of Marvel and now of Lucasfilm,
    Disney may have finally found the grail. You don't need
    imagination or art. All you need is a brand."

- Neil Gabler

Quote Originally Posted by lazyboy97O View Post
    The idea that Walt Disney World must have more to do because it have four theme parks is a bit of a fallacy. The Disneyland Resort feature just as many, if not more, attractions as the four theme parks of Walt Disney World. Disney has a lot of dead space in Florida that eats up time because you have to move around between each offering, being it on foot or a slow as molasses bus system or a monorail system that is falling apart.
    Lazy Boy,
    I by no means was singling out WDW. I said that JUST in Flordia there is all of those things to maintain- Not even including all of its other parks. Also, WDW is probably not the best of all its other parks. Quality Vs quantity is true in some aspects yes. Thats the thing, King Eric. We all compare the two... but I think theyre un comparable because what theyre doing is so different. Love hearing who prefers what, and why though!!

I love BOTH WDW and Universal Studios! I'm a 50/50 person myself! So don't anyone think I'm talking down either company!!!
    I'm like a shooting star, I've come so far. I cant go back to where I used to be.
    -Jasmine.

• Banned User

Guernsey, Channel Islands, United Kingdom

I see where your coming from Clewandowski but I feel Disney is handing Universal a lot of potential business. A day or two checking out both Universal Parks is going to cost Disney sales. Also keep in mind that as the parks expand more people will be staying on site taking business away from the Mouse. Universal has already answered this too by building a new value Resort. Both Resorts are very different but are fighting over all Orlando Tourist. Guests visiting Disney could cut short trips to check out the Universal offerings. And that's something Disney don't seem bothered about addressing. Which is why Universal is seeing its attendance rise each year while Disney's remain flat. One of the advantages of a Disney Trip is the dining and Universal has plenty of dining options. Some of which already surpass Disney. Universal is also expanding its entertainment offerings with Parades and night-time shows. This has to be considered a direct threat to Disney because its one of the few activities which sets Disney above its rivals. Its a shame Michael Eisner is still not around because despite his flaws in the final years he would certainly take up the challenge. When Universal was just starting out he built DHS in faster time just to have the edge over them.

• I'm Theme Park Happy!

I'm just tired of Universal Studios relying on the same recent ride concept. 3D screens mixed with a ride that moves here and there in short bursts. Why can't we just have an actual dark ride. Why always screens and 3D glasses. That's something Disney is NOT doing in all their recent additions. There are substance to their New Fantasyland expansions, Carsland. The rides themselves are better than Universal's pocket rides as I Like to call them.

Simpsons ride, 3D stationary.
    Harry Potter Hogwarts castle ride. screens and moving.
    Transformers. 3D and moving with stops.
    Despicable Me, 3D screen.
    The new Diagon alley ride, screens and moving.
    The amazing Spiderman redo, 3D and moving.

And yes I'm well aware of the large amounts of rides that don't rely on 3D but I'm talking about the recent upgrades and additions. That's why they are opening quicker and faster. Less ride to build, more visual screen than substance and depth.

But I will give credit to the areas surrounding the Harry Potter rides. Depth and substance there but the ride should be just as good as the outside show area.

as for comparisons. Walmart is Walmart. WDW is WDW. Comparing them is like comparing Water and Oil.
    Last edited by Micoofy Duck; 05-12-2013 at 08:55 PM.
    Micoofy Duck
    Disney Theme Park Fan #4,584,376
    http://www.micoofy.com

• Closed Account

Disneyland's Fantasyland has more rides than MGM and DAK COMBINED. So this whole obsession w/ 47sq miles is moot.....

• Closed Account

Why always screens and 3D glasses. That's something Disney is NOT doing in all their recent additions.

Yea, your right. WDI would NEVER make ANYTHING like.....................Soarin, Seasons of the Vine, Golden Dreams, Boudin Bakery Tour, Tortilla Factory Tour, Bugs, Turtle Talk, Nemo, Monster Laugh Floor, Midway Mania, Legend of Jack Sparrow, Sorcers of the Magic Kingdom, video games in Space Mt..........nope NEVER....... <eyeroll>

• Closed Account

Ohhh and Mission Space and Test Track........SOOOO immersive classic dark rides.......

• I'm Theme Park Happy!

Quote Originally Posted by JCSkipr79 View Post
    Why always screens and 3D glasses. That's something Disney is NOT doing in all their recent additions.

Yea, your right. WDI would NEVER make ANYTHING like.....................Soarin, Seasons of the Vine, Golden Dreams, Boudin Bakery Tour, Tortilla Factory Tour, Bugs, Turtle Talk, Nemo, Monster Laugh Floor, Midway Mania, Legend of Jack Sparrow, Sorcers of the Magic Kingdom, video games in Space Mt..........nope NEVER....... <eyeroll>
    I did say recent and if you look at my list you'll notice these are all recent additions. I did state that I am well aware of their other rides that don't rely on 3D and I am well aware, as everyone here is of the 3D rides and attractions at the parks. Once again I discussed about the recent additions to Universal studios compared the recent additions added to WDW.

And you've come off as completely rude. No need for that. Or your "eyeroll".
    Micoofy Duck
    Disney Theme Park Fan #4,584,376
    http://www.micoofy.com

• Closed Account

I think 2005-2008 is pretty damne recent. Oh and you said Forbidden Journey is in 3-D?? Me thinks someone has seen YouTube ONLY,,,,,,,<ahem>. And you dared compare New FL w/ Potter? Yes....circa 1994 Disney Store displays with static fish and overlit rooms compared to the most immersive technologically advanced dark ride in the world. How quaint......

• Closed Account

Or.........kids stomping around w/ plastic cutouts while Belle plays LaVar Burton compared to the most immersive technologically advanced dark ride in the world. EPIC...

Quote Originally Posted by KingEric View Post
    Quality > Quantity. Universal is putting out better Quality IMO. If you like buffets, and a Wal-Mart experience then WDW is for you.
    Ouch! But you are correct. I live in Dallas Texas, right next to Six Flags, and have had a season pass for the last 6 years. While Disney World is more 'magical' for sure, Six Flags extreme ride quality is far superior! (visual rides, Disney still wins tho)

Where Disney beats the pants off Six Flags is with staff quality and visual ride quality. ,,,and food. ...and landscaping.

I have never been to universal studios. How are they better that MK/DW? Better staff? Better rides? If you combine Six Flags and Disney World, is there any reason to go to Universal Studios?

Quote Originally Posted by JCSkipr79 View Post
    Or.........kids stomping around w/ plastic cutouts while Belle plays LaVar Burton compared to the most immersive technologically advanced dark ride in the world. EPIC...
    lol, wut? I have no idea what you are talking about...but it is still funny.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast