Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

• Circle of Ancients

re: Wealthy Moms Hiring Handicapped Guides to Skip Lines (merged)

I'm going to be totally honest here:

While I find the parents of these kids totally despicable (what a lesson to teach your kids) I honestly think it's hilarious that the disabled people have found a market to earn some $$. I say take advantage of these yahoo's.

• Nutty about Disney parks

In the end, the victims are going to be the disabled people and families who actually deserve these services. We are already in that point in our American economy where we are shaming low income people who have no other means to survive other than on federal government provisions. I fear this kind of attitude is easily adaptable to things as minor as getting in line at a Disney Park. It's a shame because if Disney was more focused on adding more capacity friendly attractions in their parks instead of minor interactive things meant for distracting little kids, the line issues in many rides would solve themselves.

I'm almost attempted to agree that FPs should be charged.
    Toonaspie: I have Asperger's. I like cartoons. Toonaspie!

• I also like Stitch!

Quote Originally Posted by DisneySam View Post
    These people have claimed that their handicap is social anxiety that can only be calmed by having their pets with them. If that ain't the biggest crock I don't know what is.
    I'm sorry, but do you know how social anxiety works? This is actually a very good reason to have a smaller service dog, as a person with major social anxiety is prone to panic attacks, and having an animal that provides warmth and comfort such as a dog reduces the chance of a panic attack by a large amount.

Duffeteer Society of Tenders, Artists & Romantics
    Check out the MICECHAT Duffy Forum
    Bringing the Love since January 10, 2011

• I'm Theme Park Happy!

I guess these "wealthy moms" are not really in the 1 percent if they're trying to save a buck and not use the VIP members with their higher costs. A truly 1 percent wealthy family would use the VIP members because they can without worrying about the cost.
    Micoofy Duck
    Disney Theme Park Fan #4,584,376
    http://www.micoofy.com

•   
    • Minion

These people are special. They are just dumb go pay for a VIP person rather than exploit someone elses disability.

Just to add my 2 cents, I get a GAC for my handicapped adult son. (just me and him usually touring). Do not think people with a GAC experience more rides..... Most of us only last 3-4 hours tops, at a time. EVERYTHING takes us twice as long, from getting food and eating, and cleaning up afterwards, to lengthly bathroom stops (that sometimes include major toileting diasasters and cleanups). As far as hiring a stranger (handicapped or even a Disney tour guide) to be with me all day in the parks, no thanks. I find it creepy when I see the wealthy families with the tour guides, and the GUIDES are interacting more with the kids than the parents! The guides are holding the kids hands, chatting with them in the park, while mom and dad talk to each other or check their cell phones. YUCK.

• See you there!

Quote Originally Posted by PatMcDuck View Post
    Just to add my 2 cents, I get a GAC for my handicapped adult son. (just me and him usually touring). Do not think people with a GAC experience more rides..... Most of us only last 3-4 hours tops, at a time. EVERYTHING takes us twice as long...snip, (no disrespect meant).
    This really describes the "normal" HC access to the parks. Some folks with limitations may be able to do more, but for many of us, this is the reality. It usually takes twice as long to do anything and what we do is twice as tiring, so we usually wind up doing half as much.

I have been upset with this story (wealthy moms...) since it was first on the news yesterday. Now I find myself wondering how much harder this is going to make it for me and others with limitations to tour the parks.

I can only hope that Disney gets control of this and does the right thing so all people (those with and without limitations) can enjoy a day at Disney.

CU@DL

Andy
    -
    What is, is... What is not, is not.

Boom!

I don't ask for much... Just a few little things!

Extra effort yields extraordinary results!

After thinking about this, I think the story has been put out there to get publicity for this project about the NYC moms. The whole Small World wait time is nothing but New Yorker boasting. I'm 45 and I'm not sure if I've ever even seen Small World lines over an hour long, much less over 2. People have been talking about abuse of this privilege for years now, it's not a new problem. Personally, even on busy days, I can do enough with Fastpasses and knowledge of the lines to care, and obviously these people are pathetic.

Disney Responds - Click for Story

We'll see what happens.

By the way, thank you for discussing the topic. I'm new here and have really enjoyed the Disney discussions I've read so far. My wife and I are Disney fanatics and eagerly anticipate our next trip to WDW in August.
    Last edited by cjwestby; 05-15-2013 at 11:37 AM.

I was in a car accident 10 years ago that made it difficult for me to walk and stand for short periods of time let alone long periods of time. I have been to Disneyland and California Adventure 4 times since then. I wish people could experience what it's like to be in a wheelchair for a day at Disneyland. I can't tell you how many times people don't care where we are and run right into us then act like it's our fault. Or you get to stare at peoples butts with all the crowds. It's also difficult when your family wants to get up close to watch the nighttime shows like Fantastic and you can either sit way off to the side in the handicap section or way in the back away from your family. It's hard to go shopping because most of the shops have things so close that you can't always fit, or things are way up high. I see a lot of teenagers rent a wheelchair at Disneyland so that they can bypass most if not all of the rides. We hear them saying things like "it's my turn", or "it's stuck can't you just get up and walk" then you see them run up the ramp that would put me in tears to try and walk up. It's not easy for those of us that need a little extra help. I don't really see it at California Adventure because most of the lines are wheelchair accessible. It also amazes me to see how many people use the wheelchair access toilets when there are 10 others available just because it's bigger. To hear that people are paying others to use it to get in front of the lines makes me sad. When I was growing up I loved being in the lines with my family because it was more family time talking. I would love it if I could do that with my kids now. I miss being able to see the droids and such during the line of StarTours. I just wish people would learn to have more courtesy for others.

• Circle of Ancients

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Janice L Galarotti View Post
    I was in a car accident 10 years ago that made it difficult for me to walk and stand for short periods of time let alone long periods of time. I have been to Disneyland and California Adventure 4 times since then. I wish people could experience what it's like to be in a wheelchair for a day at Disneyland. I can't tell you how many times people don't care where we are and run right into us then act like it's our fault. Or you get to stare at peoples butts with all the crowds. It's also difficult when your family wants to get up close to watch the nighttime shows like Fantastic and you can either sit way off to the side in the handicap section or way in the back away from your family. It's hard to go shopping because most of the shops have things so close that you can't always fit, or things are way up high. I see a lot of teenagers rent a wheelchair at Disneyland so that they can bypass most if not all of the rides. We hear them saying things like "it's my turn", or "it's stuck can't you just get up and walk" then you see them run up the ramp that would put me in tears to try and walk up. It's not easy for those of us that need a little extra help. I don't really see it at California Adventure because most of the lines are wheelchair accessible. It also amazes me to see how many people use the wheelchair access toilets when there are 10 others available just because it's bigger. To hear that people are paying others to use it to get in front of the lines makes me sad. When I was growing up I loved being in the lines with my family because it was more family time talking. I would love it if I could do that with my kids now. I miss being able to see the droids and such during the line of StarTours. I just wish people would learn to have more courtesy for others.
    Thanks for sharing this, and welcome to Micechat!

Quote Originally Posted by KingEric View Post
    In all honest Disney just needs to do what Universal does, and allow people to buy front of the line access.

Plain and simple. If people are going to go to such lengths, that is money Disney has left on the table.

Also beyond that, personally what I think would solve this, is if guests with Disabilities were given return times for the same length of the line wait time so that they could wait in a lounge or area that best fits their needed accommodation, while they wait for their turn to ride.
    as a Universal Studios Employee who visits Disneyland frequently, I agree. Return time passes for my girlfriends GAC would be better options for the accommodations

• Perfect Insanity

Quote Originally Posted by KingEric View Post
    I too will admit, that I find the use of comfort animals in a large theme park environment to be a little shocking at times.

What I try to remind myself when I see these animals in the parks, is, that I do not know what the person is dealing with, I do not know their life story, and that until the law changes this is perfectly legal.
    I saw on the local news here in So. Ca about this rich hiring handicapped. Its disgusting what people will do and are teaching their kids by doing this but I wanted to say something about the "comfort" animals. Last year when I was in DL I was walking away from Splash Mtn's exit and all of a sudden this lady is basically rushing with her husband a teen daughter to the exit. She was practically dragging a small dog. Now to me if that was a legit dog for "comfort" reasons or any disability reasons they wouldn't have been dragging the dog along. Which there was no vest on the dog either that you see most service animals have or certain leash. I'm sorry but what happens one day when one of these people bring their so called "comfort" dog with them and it hurts someone around them in a theme park? Mind you I'm all for them for those that really do honestly need one.
    And someone had a good idea that I think should be used with all rides and not just the few they are now...make those with GACs return at a certain time like the stand by is. That would totally cut that abuse down I bet.

• Capt without a ship...

The worst part of all this to me, is that it casts aspersions (sp?) on the real people who need these services. Used to be a time, if someone was handicapped (any which way) people wouldnt question it, they would just let them go about their day and if they got any special access, it was no bother to the other people.

Nowadays, every one is always wondering if some one is really handicapped and just cutting ahead, etc. Some people just want special access to feel special and cant stand it if someone gets ahead of them.

I use and ecv at disneyworld and really with the exception of peter pan, we use the regular line until you get to the handicapped entereance and even then you have to wait for the handicapped car or boat. you don't really get much of a break and that's the way it should be. also I thought you paid a set price for a 4-6 hour block of t ime with a vip tourguide. i don't think you can just hire one for an hour at a time. I really have a problem with several parts of this article. Somehow It hink the press was duped.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast