Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Angry Wealthy Moms Hiring Handicapped Guides to Skip Lines (merged)

Wealthy Manhattan moms hire handicapped tour guides to bypass lines at Disney World - NYPOST.com

This is unbelievable. I hope it doesn't become widespread. The article also mentioned "other kids" waiting 2.5 hours to ride "it's a small world." I'm unaware of the stand-by line ever being that long. Did I miss something?

re: Wealthy Moms Hiring Handicapped Guides to Skip Lines (merged)

I also posted this in Disneyland... might need a merge mods...

Yeah, I think some of us knew this was going on (I believe I saw it going on at Disneyland last time I was there... this article confirms that it does happen).

What sucks is the truly handicap are getting hosed here.

Only the brand new rides ever hit 2.5 Hours (even RSR in DCA doesn't get that bad, other than it's opening day).

• Minion

Most lines at WDW are mainstreamed. And the only people who get to go to the front of the line are Make-a-Wish kids.

Sometimes using an accommodation for disability results in a shorter wait, and sometimes it doesn't. It depends on the conditions at the attraction when you get there.

• i believe in faeries.

people who are entitled like this truly piss me off. the worst part is, is this stuff continues, disney might change their whole policy of GAC... no longer can they take up to 6 guests with them, etc. why would people be so selfish to abuse something like this? boggles my mind. disneyland (and world) is meant to share memories and experience magic, not scheme ways to cheat lines and feel 'better' than others. UGH!

• Senior Minion

Quote Originally Posted by Avaren View Post
    ...why would people be so selfish to abuse something like this?
    The motivations behind this sort of behavior are just the tip of a very large iceberg. Read The Narcissism Epidemic: Living in the Age of Entitlement by Jean M. Twenge, Ph.D. and W. Keith Campbell, Ph.D.

Warning: be prepared to get reeeelly pissed.
    "With the acquisition of Marvel and now of Lucasfilm,
    Disney may have finally found the grail. You don't need
    imagination or art. All you need is a brand."

- Neil Gabler

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • is in Antarctica

In all honest Disney just needs to do what Universal does, and allow people to buy front of the line access.

Plain and simple. If people are going to go to such lengths, that is money Disney has left on the table.

Also beyond that, personally what I think would solve this, is if guests with Disabilities were given return times for the same length of the line wait time so that they could wait in a lounge or area that best fits their needed accommodation, while they wait for their turn to ride.
    Get the latest and greatest theme park news by

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by KingEric View Post
    Also beyond that, personally what I think would solve this, is if guests with Disabilities were given return times for the same length of the line wait time so that they could wait in a lounge or area that best fits their needed accommodation, while they wait for their turn to ride.
    This. I don't know why this isn't the current policy. I broke my foot and had to get a wheelchair during one of our visits to Disney World (it was during MNSSHP so we had to go that day) and I remember getting a card to come back on Space Mountain in whatever amount of time the posted standby wait was. This was a lot more fair--people in wheelchairs shouldn't get to experience more attractions, they should expect to wait as long as everyone else, and this further lessens the incentive for people like the woman in the article to be so selfish and ridiculously offensive.

• 1,200 Miles from da Mouse

In all honest Disney just needs to do what Universal does, and allow people to buy front of the line access.

Plain and simple. If people are going to go to such lengths, that is money Disney has left on the table.

I think what works best is my local six flags if your handicapped your allowed one person to skip the line with you, and you have to wait for other members of their party before they board the ride...I think this is the best way to solve this particular problem
    The test of success is not what you do when you are on top. Success is how high you bounce when you hit bottom.
    -George S. Patton

• Banned User

Did you not read the article? The Disney VIP guide costs " $310 to $380 per hour" versus getting a handicaped guide at "$130 an hour". Even a rich person wants a bargain.

If you want to do the real cheap version, why not rent a scooter and pose as a handicapped guest?

I do agree with your solution.

What is really sad here is that there are handicapped people that are willing to "pimp" themselves out to provide such a service. Which begs the question of whether or not these "guides" are truly handicapped themselves.

Speaking of which has anyone noticed lately that there are people that have really small service dogs with them, usually being held or wheeled in their own stroller. These people have claimed that their handicap is social anxiety that can only be calmed by having their pets with them. If that ain't the biggest crock I don't know what is. My wife actually knows someone that has done this.

• Circle of Ancients

Blog Entries

/\
    Maybe but a lot of vets coming home from Afghanistan and Iraq have benefited from canine comfort.

Quote Originally Posted by CaliforniaAdventurer View Post
    /\
    Maybe but a lot of vets coming home from Afghanistan and Iraq have benefited from canine comfort.
    Don't get me wrong, I see a lot of value in animal therapy. However when I see a middle aged woman walking around with her tea cup yorkie in the crook of her arm with a service animal vest on then I question the integrity of the whole thing.

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • is in Antarctica

Quote Originally Posted by DisneySam View Post
    What is really sad here is that there are handicapped people that are willing to "pimp" themselves out to provide such a service. Which begs the question of whether or not these "guides" are truly handicapped themselves.

Speaking of which has anyone noticed lately that there are people that have really small service dogs with them, usually being held or wheeled in their own stroller. These people have claimed that their handicap is social anxiety that can only be calmed by having their pets with them. If that ain't the biggest crock I don't know what is. My wife actually knows someone that has done this.
    I understand the frustration, but the way the Americans with Disabilities Act is currently written, "any guide dog, signal dog, or other animal individually trained to provide assistance to an individual with a disability.".

This can be of course a Seeing Eye Dog.
    A hearing dog
    A Helper Monkey that is used for grabbing things for a person who does not have the ability.
    An iguana that can let a person who is prone to seizures know that a seizures is coming.

Now people get a bit confused with Service Animals when they do not fall into the "working animal" category, and instead fall into the "comfort animal" category.

I too will admit, that I find the use of comfort animals in a large theme park environment to be a little shocking at times.

What I try to remind myself when I see these animals in the parks, is, that I do not know what the person is dealing with, I do not know their life story, and that until the law changes this is perfectly legal.

• former CM

Quote Originally Posted by ORD84 View Post
    I think what works best is my local Six Flags. If you're handicapped you're allowed one person to skip the line with you, and you have to wait for other members of your party before they board the ride. I think this is the best way to solve this particular problem.
    This sounds better, though I don't know much about this issue.

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • is in Antarctica

Universal Studios built lounges in all their rides, for families and persons with Disabilities. They are nice, they have TVs, air conditioning, and comfortable seating.

When a person has a disability on an attraction that either
    1. Cannot accommodate a wheel chair
    2. The person with the disability cannot be in a crowded space/ or cannot be in the sun, or any number of reasons why they might not be able to be in line.

They are able to wait in the lounge while their family members wait in line, and once their family reaches the front of the line, they join their family and they experience the attraction together.

The main feedback with this approach is "it divides families" it takes the person with the disability and separates them. Where Disney's system allows the family to remain "unbroken" all day.

I think the most equitable is to allow the family to simply return at the specified time as a whole.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast