Epcot Wishing What It Could Be

Hello all,
    First time posting so I hope I’m not too scattered.

I found it real enjoyable to read the postings on Epcot. As preteen I was able to experience Disneyland in the early 90s. I loved the Tomorrowland area, imagining what the future might be like. I remember checking out the book “Disney's Epcot Center Creating the New World of Tomorrow” at the library. Well, that really put an itch to see WDW and Epcot. Unfortunately my family could never afford the trip to Florida. It took getting married and a few years of saving but in 2010 made it to Epcot.

Pretty exciting walking through the entrance, epic music following you in the background. Glad they still play (Tomorrow’s Child) as one of the intro’s. Being the science techy geek I am, I couldn’t wait to check out Future World. Knowing much of the history and background of the 80s Epcot, my expectations were let down some. I was thinking it would be like Communicore with cool displays on technology maybe some robots like the SMRT-1. Yes, I know, this coming from someone who never visited in the 80s and 90s. Watching video clips, reading books from the decade made it almost like I’d visited before.

Starting with Spaceship Earth (which is still great) The Seas, The Land, I was hurrying my wife to see Journey Into Imagination. Mind you I knew the ride had been changed, but didn’t know in what way. I was all excited telling my wife JII with Figment was awesome from the youtube clips I’d seen. Yeah….shot myself in the foot with that statement. Starting with Dr. Nigel Channing, his character is rather boring. What happen to poor little Figment! His character is annoying, unlike the original cute lovable dude. The Five Senses although tied to imagination are not supposed to be the subject of the ride! Good grief, not much more can be said about the ride that hasn’t already been stated over and over. Chopping up the Sherman Brothers classic song “One Little Spark” was also sad.

It was edward1978 post back in Nov 2011 “Ideas for a new Epcot” brought me to MiceChat on a google search. He had some real ingenious ideas that I wish Disney and Epcot had in mind. As a child igniting that little spark of imagination charging the inquisitive juices in their minds, a place like Epcot should make learning fun and magical. This in turn will inspire future generations to invent the seemly impossible. Everything I’ve ever seen of Uncle Walt, that’s what he had in mind with Epcot.
    It’s fun and nostalgic hearing other people’s stories and ideas for WDW and DL. If ya’ll don’t mind my babbling I’ll post some ideas for Epcot or even a Westcot revisited.

• Metro-Retro Historian

Re: Epcot Wishing What It Could Be

Welcome to MiceChat. EPCOT is one of those topics I can (and usually do) talk about forever. Being only a few years older than the park I think I was just the right age for it to have a maximum effect on me. There's a pretty good group of us old cranks here that will be more than happy to share stories of the good old days when the entrance wasn't a graveyard, CommuniCore had ponds and grass, and the only unused buildings were in World Showcase. It was really very different animal from the Magic Kingdom because even the seemingly fantastic scenes in Horizons were still very much rooted in reality. There was no magic or wishing to to change the world. Everything could really be achieved through curiosity and innovation. It was a very inspiring place when it worked.
    It bothers me when people selectively edit quotes to support whatever point they are trying to prove.

Thank you for the welcome,
    The " There's a pretty good group of us old cranks here" that's just code for Big Kids with imaginative attitudes right?...lol

I guess it's nice to have a place to vent about the Disney Parks. Attractions that were great, and the not so great that still got built. Ah..well, I know money always plays a part in attractions. I'm going to miss the creative genius of Tony Baxter and other veterans of the imagineers.
    Last edited by magination1981; 05-19-2013 at 10:20 AM.

Your readings and expectations of how Epcot used to be brings me back to the days of when I was able to experience Epcot during those times. It brings back fond memories and reminds me of how much Epcot is my favorite of the four parks and how much it still is do this day, despite all the changes. I was able to make two Summer trips, one in 88 when there was still only two parks long before even Universal was in existence, and the other in 90 when Disney's MGM Studios was still new. All thanks to my parents so I made it there when I was a young teen.

These were the days of when Future World WAS Future World. I remember my first time hearing the magical music outside the gates, hearing Tomorrow's Child, and seeing the inside & outside of Spaceship Earth for the first time. It is still one of my favorites and THE ONLY original and mostly untouched attraction. The only changes to it that I am aware of is the included narration of one Ms Judi Dench, and the interactive screen in each car. When I first road it, it was one Walter Cronkite that narrated the attraction.

My other favorites that are either long gone or completely updated & changed were the Living Seas Pavillion for one. Where you rode the sea cabs to a mystical underwater station and rode past like 4 huge aquariums and saw all the underwater wildlife. They are still there but you can only walk around them. It was more fun to ride by them and you felt like you were actually riding underwater. I too also enjoyed the original Journey Into Imagination as so many others here on Micechat. Then there was World of Motion, a favorite among many now long gone. It was a dark ride with the classic audio animatronics all with the future world concept. One little known fact is that when they removed the attraction, at least 2 characters were placed in Pirates of the Caribbean in Disneyland. Now removed and replaced by Captain Jack Sparrow in that very spot. But I am not completely disappointed of the attraction's removal. Because it was replaced by a new favorite among many and a very awesome, awesome ride. One I still have yet to experience at night.

But another one that I truly miss, and I know without a doubt that I am not the only one here, but I will always miss my top favorite and that is Horizons. I can still hear the music "If you can dream it, then you can do it yes you can, yes you can." Its nice to know they still use that statement at least. I miss how you got to choose what future destination you go to at the end between land, underwater, or in space. Now it's completely gone replaced by an attraction that I will most likely never go on because I fear I would get too sick on it because of how realistic it is. (People might argue that on here, I don't think anyone will ever convince me to go on it.)

Now Future World is not a place where you can go to experience what the future would be like, its just a land where exciting attractions are, some that don't even fit the theme (like Soarin. A favorite of mine, but its out of place.) Though I can understand why the land does not exhibit what the future will be like. Because the same thing happens to it what happens to Tomorrowland both in Disneyland and Magic Kingdom. Eventually, the future always catches up to it. And trying to stay ahead of it means always trying to come up with new concepts and putting in new attractions. That means the concept is just not cost effective.

But regardless of what changes there are, it will always be my favorite park. And every time I get that first glance at my favorite huge sphere, its like looking at it for the very first time. Whether by driving into the parking lot, or riding the monorail over. I see it and I'm a kid again. No constant changes and attraction removals can EVER take that away from me.

(And this was edited because after the first 4 words, I tried to go advanced but hit reply by mistake.)
    Last edited by stitchfanocala; 05-19-2013 at 05:33 PM.
    "Our greatest natural resource is the minds of our children." - Walter Elias Disney

• formerly very helpful

IMHO, Epcot of the late 1980s - early 1990s was an unparalelled masterpiece that has yet to ever be matched. Even though I still love it, Epcot just isn't the same.

Quote Originally Posted by sbk1234 View Post
    IMHO, Epcot of the late 1980s - early 1990s was an unparalelled masterpiece that has yet to ever be matched. Even though I still love it, Epcot just isn't the same.
    Very well said. If my post had to be put into 30 words or less, it would be exactly as how you put it.
    "Our greatest natural resource is the minds of our children." - Walter Elias Disney

• Nutty about Disney parks

I hate the new Judi Dench narration for Spaceship Earth (and that incredibly dumb "in the future" interactive thing they have near the end of the ride). The Jeremy Irons version was a true masterpiece of narration and music and I don't care how many kids fell asleep to that version, it's still superior to what we have now.

Spaceship Earth and Journey into Imagination are the only two rides in Future World that need to be changed. Everything else I can live with.
    Toonaspie: I have Asperger's. I like cartoons. Toonaspie!

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by toonaspie View Post
    Spaceship Earth and Journey into Imagination are the only two rides in Future World that need to be changed. Everything else I can live with.
    I would argue that the entire imagination pavilion comes first on the list, gutting it from the ride to EO and everything in between, they need to do figment justice. this would be followed by universe of energy which needs updating, its fun but far too outdated. then after that its a toss up for me between a brining back of sea base alpha (or making nemo less cheap looking) or upgrading Spaceship Earth again. I would also throw in the circle of life theatre as an upgrade need and possibly adding some more excitement to living with the land. lets not forget the addition of more attractions to innoventions, god such a long list...

How about putting the Horizons Pavilion back in place of the WoL dome? God I miss that ride.

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by stitchfanocala View Post
    How about putting the Horizons Pavilion back in place of the WoL dome? God I miss that ride.
    how about brining back woL while your at it? i miss that place even more. honestly i would rather see upgraded modern versions of these places at the end of the day then the same old attractions brought back but there is room for both of them in that area. All they have to do is make the millennium building their convention centre instead of the dome.

• formerly very helpful

Absolutely, 100%.
    But like goofy donald said, I'd love to see both come back. Using the Millenium Building would be a wonderful idea.

Millennium building?

• formerly very helpful

We're referring to the the building built/used for their Millenium Celebration around the year 2000. It was near United Kingdom pavilion (I think). They had numerous pavilions set up in there. I don't know what they've used it for once that campaign ended.

That curved building that kinda sits behind UK and looks accessible from the walkway towards the International Gateway entrance?

• Minion

That curved building that kinda sits behind UK and looks accessible from the walkway towards the International Gateway entrance?
    yep. its accessible from a large gate between the canada stage and the UK.