Quickest way from Wilderness Lodge to Orlando Airport? And other first time questions

My ten year old son and I will be visiting Disney World for the first time in just about three weeks. We're from northern California and visit Disneyland three to five times a year since my son was four. On the last day of our trip (June 15th), we plan on spending some time in the Magic Kingdom then heading to the airport for a 3:15 flight. So I guess I have a couple questions. About what time should we be back at the hotel to make sure we get back to the airport and not be rushing? I'm thinking noon. And what method of transportation? I'm thinking a taxi would be fastest. I'm sure it'll cost $50 or so, and I'm fine with that. Or would I be better off renting a car? It would be about $120 for the week to rent a small car. I figure we could drive ourselves between the parks, but would that be easier or save any time over taking the bus system from our hotel?

The reason we want to visit the Magic Kingdom one last time before leaving is because we are not flying directly home to San Jose, but flying to Orange County and will be spending three days at the Disneyland Resort. We are planning on going on a few rides that both parks share and try to ride the same rides in the same day in both parks. Plus get pictures in front of those rides and shared landmarks. We should be able to get to Disneyland and have a few hours to spare before closing. Assuming there are no major flight delays.

23 days to go!

-Mike

• *Experiment 999*

Re: Quickest way from Wilderness Lodge to Orlando Airport? And other first time quest

rent a car if im late for something, I'd rather blame myself for not allowing proper time than blame someone else for unexpected delays in public transport.

renting a car is also nice for the freedom of traveling to what site you want to and allow you not have to wait around for the bus. ive done WDW both with and w/o a car, i'll always opt for renting a car!

Re: Quickest way from Wilderness Lodge to Orlando Airport? And other first time quest

when you are staying at a WDW resort like Wilderness Lodge you are able to take advantage of the Magical Express to and from the airport. They usually pick you up three hours before your flight.

Quote Originally Posted by Skimbob View Post
    when you are staying at a WDW resort like Wilderness Lodge you are able to take advantage of the Magical Express to and from the airport. They usually pick you up three hours before your flight.
    What he said. Also, all the resorts are connected to each theme park and Downtown Disney by the white shuttle buses. If you decide to not rent a car, you can still get around between MK and Wilderness Lodge. Too bad you weren't staying at Contemporary or the Polynesian. Then you could just use the monorail.
    "Our greatest natural resource is the minds of our children." - Walter Elias Disney

Wilderness Lodge does have a boat that runs back and forth to MK which takes about 5 minutes. It's too bad they aren't part of the monorail line.

I agree. WL is simply gorgeous and the lobby is amazing. The only thing I don't like is that it's not connected by monorail. But still close enough to hear the sounds of Magic Kingdom on a quiet day.
    "Our greatest natural resource is the minds of our children." - Walter Elias Disney