Have You Heard......My Disney Experience - WDW - A New Smartphone App

***Note to Mods - I did look in the Tech Lounge first to place this thread there. But since there was only one active thread on a very short list, I wanted to make sure that those visiting WDW, whether locals or tourists, would know about something I recently discovered. If you feel like it should be placed there, that is fine by me. But I came here thinking it would be seen better, using the "other" prefix. It didn't qualify as news, but I don't think review would fit either. I also did check the rules first and I didn't see anything that was against this. Besides, its not promoting something from some little known company. This is an actual Disney product, that is free, and really handy. I searched for other threads on this, and found nothing. (Although in further search for a Disneyland version, I came across the "Sam Land" story, but still not forum thread. So I hope this is still okay.***

That being said, I wanted to bring something to the attention of my fellow Micechatters whether you're local to Florida or even the Disneyland area in California. Or if you're from somewhere else and are planning a trip to Walt Disney World. A couple of days ago I was looking for apps online for my android smartphone that was reset. I searched for a previously downloaded Disney Parks app which you may have heard of called Disney Mobile Magic. Now although that one is good, in my search I came across another app made by Disney called My Disney Experience - Walt Disney World. The hyperlink there proves it is made by Disney, not some imitator. And like Mobile Magic, it is a free app that is available for both the iPhone and Android phones. But unlike MM, it is exclusive for Walt Disney World and I have not found one for Disneyland yet in my search prior to doing this thread. Disney Mobile Magic gives you a guide for both Disneyland and Walt Disney World.

Now I was going to go into a lengthy discussion on this app. But I do not want to take anything away from Sam's article about the app on the micechat main site, so I will only name a few brief points and just provide the links below. However, in reading Sam's post, he covered the "Legal Terms" for the app and what to know about them, where I will briefly touch on a few key features with the new app.

For those not familiar with the Mobile Magic app, it provides you with limited information when it comes to the attractions. For example, if you're looking for wait time info on Space Mountain at the DLR or WDW, if it has a really long wait it will say "High Demand." Whether Fast Passes are available or not, it will only list if they are available or unavailable. No current return time distribution will be given out. This is where the My Disney Experience is different and a lot more handy while planning your day either before arriving to the parks or while you're on the property. If you want to know the wait time for any attraction at Walt Disney World, as well as the current time for Fast Pass, the app will provide you with that current information. For example, if you're going to or have just arrived at Hollywood Studios and you want to know what the wait time is for Toy Story Mania while you're waiting to get through the turnstiles, then whatever the current approximate or estimated wait time is at that moment, it will be listed. And further example, if you're at the entrance at say 10:30 am, and if say the fast passes are currently handing out passes for a return time of say..... 3:45 to 4:45, the app will provide that information as well. If fast passes are not available, it will state that they are not available. But please note, times are estimated, never exact and vary depending on the size of the crowd. But at least with this app you will have an idea of what times are remaining for the fast passes. I find this extremely helpful if you're a pass holder or a vacationing park hopping tourist and you're arriving at one of the parks late in the day and want to know where your first destination should be & if you can still get on one of your favorites with minimal wait.

Both the Mobile Magic and the My Disney Experience WDW app have similar features. They use the same map feature which look like the paper maps you can obtain in the parks. They also offer info on attractions (minus the difference in listed wait times & FP return times mentioned earlier), character locations, dining & dinner reservations, resort hotel info, event schedule, shopping, transportation, weather, and guest services. The Mobile Magic app has a little Disney Parks Trivia game that the My Experience app does not have which is only one minor difference. Besides the listed wait time, the main differences between the two apps is that My Disney Experience WDW has that are exclusively available to it are the "My Plans" feature which allows you to plan an itinerary for the day(s) of your trip, including dinner reservations. There is also a profile to set up that Sam mentioned in his article that is required to use the My Plans feature. (Note: The My Experience App states that you need to log in to a profile to view wait times. This is actually not required. You do not have to log into a profile to explore wait times.) You do not need to set up a profile for the "Explore" feature which allows you to view information for attractions, resort hotels, characters, dining info, entertainment, recreation, shopping, and guest services. The other main difference between the two apps is that the My Disney Experience allows you the option to include family & friends who are traveling with you to plan and share with you via the app. Please view the app information page below for further info.

The only other technical feature both apps share is that they are available via your cellular service (depending on location, market, and device of course) or on Wi-Fi if your device is Wi-Fi capable. However let me provide one small warning at least when it comes to Disney World. (I haven't tried this in Disneyland lately.) The parks and the resorts do have free Wi-Fi on their properties. But they are not the strongest, and depending on the strength of your Wi-Fi adapters in your device(s), you may not be able to maintain a stable signal while moving. If you find yourself in one of the parks and your phone is having trouble keeping a signal while trying to find attraction info, try staying in one spot for a few moments while you look that info up. I have found staying in one spot tends to maintain a better signal as opposed to moving around while exploring on your device. (It also helps to prevent you from walking into anybody.) If you have good cellular service, then you should have no problem especially since WDW is in the newly integrated 4G network.

That sums it up pretty much. I do not know what will happen to the Mobile Magic app in the future. Perhaps, and this is just speculation on my part, that when a My Disney Experience app is available for Disneyland, the Mobile Magic app may be discontinued. For when I posted this thread, I did not see one available for Disneyland with current searches online only resulting with the one for Disney World. In my opinion and not official endorsement, I suggest to anyone who plans on visiting WDW for either vacation or regularly if you are a pass holder, I highly recommend the My Disney Experience WDW app. You can use it without a profile if you choose so, but having one will allow you to make reservations, set up itineraries, and include your friends & family in your plans. My favorite feature is the attraction wait time & Fast Pass information which helps in the decision making process. In my visit to the WDW property yesterday, I found myself using the My Disney Experience app throughout the entire visit and I never once opened the Mobile Magic app even though I have both.

Now for the helpful link information....

To read Sam's article on the My Disney Experience Legal Terms info in case you missed it:
    Sam Examines the My Disney Experience Program

For Disney's main page for the app and info:
    https://disneyworld.disney.go.com/pl...NG.AM.01.01U4S

If you like to have as little clicking as possible and want to get right to getting the app, then go here on Disney's page, which has links for both iTunes, Google, and Amazon devices;
    https://disneyworld.disney.go.com/plan/mobile-apps/

A direct path to get the android app:
    https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...51bGwsMSwyLDNd

And iTunes....
    https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/my-d...547436543?mt=8

Good day to you all. I hope you enjoy it like I do.
    "Our greatest natural resource is the minds of our children." - Walter Elias Disney

Re: Have You Heard......My Disney Experience - WDW - A New Smartphone App

I used a version of this in January and it was a slow, complicated waste of time. Too many "clicks" to get where you wanted to go.

It's very common for apps to have a few bugs or kinks that need to be worked out when they're first released. It could have also been the cellular strength or the Wi-Fi signal. Not all Wi-Fi works as smooth as a well oiled machine.
    "Our greatest natural resource is the minds of our children." - Walter Elias Disney

Quote Originally Posted by strat68 View Post
    I used a version of this in January and it was a slow, complicated waste of time. Too many "clicks" to get where you wanted to go.
    Me too, but I still found it useful.
    For the love of Disney....