Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

• Minion

Re: DHS Carsland Update: Opening 2018, No RSR, and more

sure lets bring in carsland without the two coolest parts about it...lol what a joke. we need our own unique additions not the same stuff across every park. Cars has very little staying power as a franchise and WE ALREADY HAVE A PIXAR LAND. why in the hell would we put a land dedicated to a pixar movie right beside a land dedicated to pixar movies. the thought of that is so moronic I can't even fathom the idea. why not just put a new cars attraction or even RSR in Pixar place??? you can even throw the cozy cone QS and a shop in and make it a mini land (since much of the QS dining in DHS doesn't make a lot of thematic sense with the new direction they are moving in) within the land any more then that though would be totally foolish. the two new lands they should make in DHS are 1) Lucas films with starwars, indy, and american graffiti and 2) muppet studios expanding around the area of muppet vision 3D. that will at least make the park a guaranteed full day experience, it wouldn't be perfect, there is still more that could be done, but we could leave it at that there happily and work on the needs in the other parks.

• Circle of Ancients

Blog Entries

I don't see them building the CADILLAC RANGE in Orlando without RSR inside it. It was built in DCA to block out the exterior views of power lines and Anaheim beyond. It was the most expensive rockwork in Disney history.

• -

I'm sorry, but this fits the theme of the park just as poorly as the stupid rumed Monstropolis fits CA Adventure.
    "You can cut me off from the civilized world. You can incarcerate me with two moronic cellmates. You can torture me with your thrice daily swill, but you cannot break the spirit of a Winchester. My voice shall be heard from this wilderness and I shall be delivered from this fetid and festering sewer."

Quote Originally Posted by JCSkipr79 View Post
    Its pretty sad that you have to wait in line to get in some of the stores because they're so small and they overcrowd so easily

ummm, you know that was the original INTENT right? She demanded that.
    She demanded that? That was the intent? That's a stupid idea coming from my favorite author who I have a lot of respect for. Because not only can it be a fire safety violation and a marketing blunder, but being that it is in an area that occasionally gets ravaged by hurricanes & needs to be evacuated. And evacuating in a tight confined space can lead to injuries therefore making it all the more stupid. Just my opinion.
    "Our greatest natural resource is the minds of our children." - Walter Elias Disney

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by stitchfanocala View Post
    She demanded that? That was the intent? That's a stupid idea coming from my favorite author who I have a lot of respect for. Because not only can it be a fire safety violation and a marketing blunder, but being that it is in an area that occasionally gets ravaged by hurricanes & needs to be evacuated. And evacuating in a tight confined space can lead to injuries therefore making it all the more stupid. Just my opinion.
    yeah it was universals original intent to make the spaces larger and easier to maneuver through/maximize the retail space. Rowling however vetoed that saying that it had to be as close to authenticity as possible. I agree dumb decision but still they had to play by her rules.

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by goofy donald View Post
    yeah it was universals original intent to make the spaces larger and easier to maneuver through/maximize the retail space. Rowling however vetoed that saying that it had to be as close to authenticity as possible. I agree dumb decision but still they had to play by her rules.
    the main reason why Universals was chosen they offered a bigger amount of land. the land is 20 acres.

If Disney had the rights to Harry Potter then I honestly don' t see them building the Hogwarts Castle. The Hogwarts looks a lot better than Cinderella's Castle and Cinderella's Castle is the WDW logo. it would be a conflicting and to have both castles to be competing with each other.

Plus Disney wouldn't have build an entire land based on Harry Potter. does 20 acres is pretty big. and it wouldn't be as dark PG13.

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by DannyLand View Post
    the main reason why Universals was chosen they offered a bigger amount of land. the land is 20 acres.

If Disney had the rights to Harry Potter then I honestly don' t see them building the Hogwarts Castle. The Hogwarts looks a lot better than Cinderella's Castle and Cinderella's Castle is the WDW logo. it would be a conflicting and to have both castles to be competing with each other.

Plus Disney wouldn't have build an entire land based on Harry Potter. does 20 acres is pretty big. and it wouldn't be as dark PG13.
    lets be clear, the main reason universal got potter was because they basically said they would do whatever Rowling told them. Disney got essentially first crack but when they brought out a proposal and refused to go anywhere near Rowling's direction, negotiations fell apart. They would have had to have built the castle, its the most iconic image of the films. all they would have done is like universal did and built a smaller scale version with misdirection techniques to make it appear to be full scale. it would not look as impressive as cinderella's castle because they built the castle to be as large as it possibly could be, they would simply build it smaller then Cinderella's and let misdirection do the rest of the work.

I'm glad at the end of the day HP went to Universal, they did a lot more with it then Disney would have ever done IMO, however this isn't a discussion of land space but of content and design. when your walking around the land today by no means does it feel like your in 20 acres of land, its more like your in a tokyo subway at rush hour.

• Shubisha

Quote Originally Posted by stitchfanocala View Post
    It's hardly that bad since the first few months it opened. But yes, absolutely the intent. They limit how many people can get in and it's all with the fire marshall's thumbs up there's no excessive safety hazard. Far more people get funneled into that horrible configuration at the haunted mansion loading queue area in Magic Kingdom

Regardless of the higher level of theming and the fact that store's don't have to be Walmart style like Emporium goes for, the stores and experience would be cheapened if Rowling didn't get her way and it became a big open space. That alone is what appeals me to it. But there's more to be said anyways. Attractions with high wait times and lower availability create a higher demand, a higher interest level, a higher appreciation for the time spent inside. The same concept can and does apply to the stores in Potterland. It doesn't have to be like that in every store but I'm glad it does here. You can buy almost all the merchandise available at other stores throughout the park and in citywalk if that's all someone's worried about.

Yikes. Well, I'm sure she had her reasons and it doesn't make me respect her any less. As far as my fondness of the park, I'll cover a little bit more on that in a moment.

when your walking around the land today by no means does it feel like your in 20 acres of land, its more like your in a tokyo subway at rush hour.
    Nicely put.

Quote Originally Posted by almandot View Post
    It's hardly that bad since the first few months it opened. But yes, absolutely the intent. They limit how many people can get in and it's all with the fire marshall's thumbs up there's no excessive safety hazard. Far more people get funneled into that horrible configuration at the haunted mansion loading queue area in Magic Kingdom

Regardless of the higher level of theming and the fact that store's don't have to be Walmart style like Emporium goes for, the stores and experience would be cheapened if Rowling didn't get her way and it became a big open space. That alone is what appeals me to it. But there's more to be said anyways. Attractions with high wait times and lower availability create a higher demand, a higher interest level, a higher appreciation for the time spent inside. The same concept can and does apply to the stores in Potterland. It doesn't have to be like that in every store but I'm glad it does here. You can buy almost all the merchandise available at other stores throughout the park and in citywalk if that's all someone's worried about.
    Well hopefully it has gotten better crowd wise, but with summer here again, I'm sure its going to be very crazy. I'm going to put one last opinion on this and hope the conversation goes back on topic. My apologies to the OP for taking it off and I'll be brief. One thing I remember from my one and only trip to WWoHP and IoA was that it was my first trip to IoA ever. I may have spent an hour, no more than two, inside WWoHP. My wife and I were with our then 3 year old and a friend of hers in mid-April. HP was the first place we went to and we also wanted to see the rest of the park since it was my first time. It was also within the first year of the land being open, probably around Spring Break time so crowds were probably up. I am not against going again, but next time I do it will more than likely be in January or February when crowds are low. I will just go to IoA and I will take my time. Maybe I just didn't enjoy the first time because I may have been rushing and the heat didn't help either. At least I got the Elder Wand out of it.
    "Our greatest natural resource is the minds of our children." - Walter Elias Disney

• Minion

lets be clear, the main reason universal got potter was because they basically said they would do whatever Rowling told them. Disney got essentially first crack but when they brought out a proposal and refused to go anywhere near Rowling's direction, negotiations fell apart. They would have had to have built the castle, its the most iconic image of the films. all they would have done is like universal did and built a smaller scale version with misdirection techniques to make it appear to be full scale. it would not look as impressive as cinderella's castle because they built the castle to be as large as it possibly could be, they would simply build it smaller then Cinderella's and let misdirection do the rest of the work.

I'm glad at the end of the day HP went to Universal, they did a lot more with it then Disney would have ever done IMO, however this isn't a discussion of land space but of content and design. when your walking around the land today by no means does it feel like your in 20 acres of land, its more like your in a tokyo subway at rush hour.
    aaahh. Ok I see. but good for Rowling.

same goes for john lasester! when he did Cars land, he was in complete control. the parade route was supposed to go through Cars Land but he refused because he didn't want the parade lighting, speakers, parade equipment and parade floats to ruined this land. this lead the parade route to be the longer than should.

I thought Cars Land giftshops and Harry Potter giftshops are the same sizes though. not sure though.

and i think if Disney were to make Hogwarts castle they would just do what they did with Beast's Castle. that's just my opinion.

Putting a non-Disney castle inside a Disney theme park would take away from the theme, in my opinion. So its kind of good that Disney didn't get Potter.

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by DannyLand View Post
    aaahh. Ok I see. but good for Rowling.

same goes for john lasester! when he did Cars land, he was in complete control. the parade route was supposed to go through Cars Land but he refused because he didn't want the parade lighting, speakers, parade equipment and parade floats to ruined this land. this lead the parade route to be the longer than should.

I thought Cars Land giftshops and Harry Potter giftshops are the same sizes though. not sure though.

and i think if Disney were to make Hogwarts castle they would just do what they did with Beast's Castle. that's just my opinion.
    cars land gift shops and HP gift shops are very different trust me. the sheer masses of people in such a confined space can be near claustrophobic at times from my experience. its great place thematically just not very practical during peak season.

cars land gift shops and HP gift shops are very different trust me. the sheer masses of people in such a confined space can be near claustrophobic at times from my experience. its great place thematically just not very practical during peak season.
    You got that right. A HP shop during peak season is more crowded than a Florida Wal Mart on a Saturday.

Of course, that's not difficult. Being that you could place a couple hundred Potter shops inside a Wal Mart.

• Circle of Ancients

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by calsig31 View Post
    I'm sorry, but this fits the theme of the park just as poorly as the stupid rumed Monstropolis fits CA Adventure.
    Bingo!

• Nutty about Disney parks

Quote Originally Posted by calsig31 View Post
    The fact that TDO turned down the Monsters Inc coaster in favor of this only confirms how so obviously about the money they are. Let's see: original E-ticket coaster or cloned array of shops and restaurants without signature E ticket.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast