•   
    • Chicago Gal

Blog Entries

A Near Accident Averted!

One day during my exit from Disney World's Magic Kingdom, I was waiting on the Boat Dock for the Ferry to arrive. People are usually quite orderly, and respectful of each other. However, sometimes toddlers are allowed to walk, rather than ride in strollers, or be held by a parent. On this particular day, I was standing near the gate near the edge of the water, when I saw a little girl about the age of two, almost crawl, completely under the gate. A few seconds more, and she easily could have crawled a few more feet, and been in the Seven Seas Lagoon. I remember I was walking toward her direction, when I gave a gasp, and her dad, quickly pulled her back under the gate. An accident was definitely averted. I walked away. Didn't say anything to the parent. The little girl was now behind me, crying. I believe she got a good scolding. Probably a slap on the bottom. I can't say. I didn't turn around, and witness her punishment. I just remember being thankful that she hadn't made her way totally under that gate, or she very surely could have drowned. It was a very scary moment, for me, and I was just glad that the child was alright.

Have you ever had a scary moment at the parks, that turned out O.K.?

• Minion

Re: A Near Accident Averted!

ORGOCH: Ta tell ya the truth, Barbaraann, ducklin', ev'ry dang time I goes ta the parks it's scary fer me. But, then, look who I always gotta go with! It's a wonder I ain't been throwed in the slammer by now after bein' associated with two loser sisters like mine!

• Nutty about Disney parks

This is sadly what child leashes are made for. I know alot of parents don't feel comfortable with the idea of a child leash but when going into a massive place like WDW they can be pretty useful for small children. I wasn't the easiest kid to watch and had my own near death experience (one time I managed to get on top a second floor balcony rail when I was 2). As such I had to be on a child leash.

• Waiting for my E-Ticket

Hanging out at The Attic with Johnny Dakota

That's why my parents put me on a leash when I was a toddler. I was a wanderer. As soon as I was old enough to walk, they got rid of the stroller (which I wish more parents would do than allow their kids to be lazy) and put me on the leash until I was old enough to learn not to wander away.

• Inappropriate

Leashes are great! I had a wandering problem as a child and was a leash kid. I was fine with it. Having my own 2 year old now, I completely understand it. They wander right out from under you! Now he's on one too. A leash could've prevented this. Glad the kid was okay!

Click the banner! ^^^^
    Follow us on Twitter
    @mickeymutineers and on Facebook
    Mickey Mutineer Podcast now available in the blog and on iTunes!

• i believe in faeries.

my heart shuddered when i read this... thank heavens that child is alright.
    when i was a kid, i had a bracelet leash thing, that my mom wore on one wrist, and i wore on the other. it had a big yellow slinky-like cord, and i remember wondering what the point of it was, since the cord was so long, lol!

i never had the leash/backpack thing with dd, but then again, she wasn't a wanderer. ds, on the other hand, might just be another story... that child has no fear! it's interesting how 'against them' you are when you have a child that doesn't need it, but when you have one who does... you change your way of thinking.

and i totally agree with the poster above that said they prefferred leashes to strollers... man, i will be sooo excited the day i retire my stroller for good!

•   
    • Chicago Gal

Blog Entries

My heart did shudder, and once I knew the child was in the hands of her dad, I found myself walking away. A million thoughts were going through my head, and I thought about it all the way back to my hotel that night. It was a moment where the right thing happened. It could have been the moment where tragedy occurred.

My mom kept a harness on my sister, because she would climb out of bed. She would stand up in her carriage. My mom had three children in 4 years, and she did what she felt at the time was the best thing to keep my sister safe. Some children are more active than others. She always said, that I, on the other hand would always stay put exactly where my mom told me to stay, or sit, or stand.

• Minion

The last time I rode the WDW Railroad, I was seated behind a family who ignored the instructions and seated a little girl of three or four on the end of the seat instead of in the middle, and then proceeded to argue amongst themselves and not look at her for the whole trip while she dangled her arms and legs out of the train. My heart was in my throat the whole time, and I was poised to leap up and grab her if it became necessary. Luckily they got off at my planned stop, or I would have felt i had to stay on the train and make sure she was OK.

• Under that tree again!

Isn't the dad and any other caretakers the ones who deserve the spanking and scalding? Are leashes not for kids but lazy parents?
    Be Cool Stay in School!
    Next year I'm trying for a summer internship at Stark Industries.

•   
    • Lurking in the corners

Blog Entries

Swampymarsh, I assume you either do not have children or are blessed with children who are able to stay close. I am in the same boat as Barbaraann, in that I was the "stick close to the folks" kid and my brother was the "where is he now?" kid. My folks weren't lazy, my brother was just too adventurous and fearless for his own good. It only takes a non-vigilant three seconds for a child to slip away in a crowd like those at the Disney parks.

“That's the way a lot of things happen... You think one person did something
    but he was just the one to put the color on it." – Ken Anderson
    ​I'm blogging here again!

•   
    • Chicago Gal

Blog Entries

What amazed me, was that the crawling child was able to get her entire head under the barrier. The parent was not that far away from her, or he would not have been able to rescue her in such speedy fashion. It only takes a few seconds for a parent to look away, at exactly the wrong moment, when a child is determined to explore something dangerous.

When my older son was just a toddler, he would love to watch the kids playing outside, through an open window on a Summer's evening. As, I look back, I can't remember if the window was screened, or just an open pathway. All I remember is, that my husband tells the story, of how I fell asleep on the couch. Our young son was leaning out the window looking at the kids playing outside, and my husband pulled him in to safety, before he almost fell through the window.

My husband haunts me with that "Near Accident" from time to time. Calling me sleeping beauty. Kids are curious, and it's a wonder they grow up at all, with all the bumps and bruises, and near misses. It's hard being a parent, and taking a child to a thempark is definitely challenging. I remember when we took our 4 year old grandson. I didn't take my eyes off him for a minute as he explored the place by foot. We did use the rental stroller for the crowded times, and nap times, and just plain "sanity" moments.