Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

• Waiting for my E-Ticket

Hanging out at The Attic with Johnny Dakota

Re: Will Animal kingdom ever get new animal experiences?

Quote Originally Posted by PlutoHasFleas View Post
    The Australia exhibit at Tampa's Lowry Park Zoo offers the same kangaroo experience. They have many other close encounters through out the zoo like hand feeding a giraffe or lorikeets. They have an amazing aquarium, home to many rescued manatees. The giant veiwing windows offer an up close encounter with these friendly giants. They also have daily shows which are entertaining and educational. The price for admission is the most attractive to me at this attraction, under $20 for adults, under $10 for kids. If you visit Tampa, or central Florida in general, and want an incredible animal encounter, check out Lowry Park Zoo. You won't be disappointed.
    Lowry Park Zoo admission is $24.95 for adults and $19.95 for kids. That is EXPENSIVE for a zoo as most charge under $10 for adults. But Lowry tries to justify the price they charge because they have a few rides (a log ride, carousel, kiddie coaster and some other flat rides for kids). Parking is free though, so that's something. It's a really nice zoo (I went a couple years ago since I live in the Tampa area), but I only saw one tiger in their enclosure (compared to the 5-6 I see at Busch Gardens all the time) and one cheetah, which was hiding and could barely see (they always have at at least a few out at BG). I did like the orangutan habitat better at Lowry. And I don't even remember seeing any lions.

As for the animal feeding experiences... at Lowry they charged like $3 for ONE small piece of lettuce to feed the giraffes. And where they keep the wallabys, unless they've changed it in the last 2 years, you weren't allowed to touch the 2 or 3 they had on display and they weren't selling food either. But Lowry has koalas, which I wish BG had. BG charges $5 to feed the kangaroos ($4 if you have an AP), but you get a whole cup of food filled to the brim.

So.... I'm not knocking Lowry. It's a very nice zoo, but overpriced in my opinion. They do free admission days a couple times a year, but it's always crazy busy because that's when all the locals come out.

• Monorail Man!

It would be cool to have an Australia land with a Jeep ride through the Outback and also I remember a couple of years back that the Chinese government allowed Disney to borrow Panda's for their park. That would be amazing for Asia.

• formerly very helpful

If only they'd use their imagination. There's unbelievably incredible things they could do there.

If only Dragonvale could be a real park.
    "Our greatest natural resource is the minds of our children." - Walter Elias Disney

• Senior Minion

Quote Originally Posted by sbk1234 View Post
    If only they'd use their imagination. There's unbelievably incredible things they could do there.
    That has got to be the quote of the month, if not the year. Fourteen words that eloquently say where Disney should put its heart, its mind and its money. And not just for Animal Kindgom, but for all its domestic theme parks.
    "With the acquisition of Marvel and now of Lucasfilm,
    Disney may have finally found the grail. You don't need
    imagination or art. All you need is a brand."

- Neil Gabler

I would really like to see Disney approach China about the possibility of a Panda exhibit. With the new Disney and China business relation it would be cool if they came up with a breeding program. I could just imagine what Disney could design for a large habitat for pandas in DAK after seeing what they did with the gorilla exhibit.
    p

Quote Originally Posted by Baloo View Post
    I would really like to see Disney approach China about the possibility of a Panda exhibit. With the new Disney and China business relation it would be cool if they came up with a breeding program. I could just imagine what Disney could design for a large habitat for pandas in DAK after seeing what they did with the gorilla exhibit.
    p
    Something tells me that the reasons for why the LA Zoo years ago only had them for the short time and why only 4 zoos in the US including DC and San Diego have them on a regular basis would prevent Disney from actually obtaining a Panda exhibit.
    "Our greatest natural resource is the minds of our children." - Walter Elias Disney

• враг народа

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by stitchfanocala View Post
    Something tells me that the reasons for why the LA Zoo years ago only had them for the short time and why only 4 zoos in the US including DC and San Diego have them on a regular basis would prevent Disney from actually obtaining a Panda exhibit.
    But none of those cities are building the Chinese a Disneyland.

Though you can see diverse species in Animal Kingdom, I hope they make an area dedicated to Australian wildlife or ocean life. I don't see the problem with having an Avatar park, there's always room to add more things to Disneyworld. A great way they could incorporate nature to the Avatar concept is by adding various species of exotic plants you can examine there.

• What imagination needs...

Honestly, I think this all has to do with the "Nahtazu" initiative Disney has pushed at AK since every early in the park's history. They are doing everything they possibly can to prevent AK from being considered a zoo. That's more than likely the reason no new animal exhibits have opened since opening day. Boom goes the dynamite.

• враг народа

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Design View Post
    Honestly, I think this all has to do with the "Nahtazu" initiative Disney has pushed at AK since every early in the park's history. They are doing everything they possibly can to prevent AK from being considered a zoo. That's more than likely the reason no new animal exhibits have opened since opening day. Boom goes the dynamite.
    The "Nahtazu" campaign was dropped years ago. The park is now the third most visited of the Walt Disney World parks. Issues of perception are in the past.

Congratulations though, Cruise. Your thread here made the weekly Round Up for an honorable mention.

• Circle of Ancients

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by lazyboy97O View Post
    But none of those cities are building the Chinese a Disneyland.
    There's a reason it's called Panda Diplomacy and not Pandas for Sale.

23 pandas given to nine countries during 1957-1982:
    Time Destination Countries Names
    1957 Russia Ping Ping and An An
    1965-1980 North Korea Dan Dan, San Xing, Lin Lin, etc (total five pandas)
    1972 America Ling Ling and Xing Xing
    1972 Japan Lan Lan and Kang Kang
    1973 French Yan Yan and Li Li
    1974 UK Jia Jia and Jing Jing
    1974 Germany Tian Tian and Bao Bao
    1975 Mexico Shao Shao and Qiang Qiang
    1980 Japan Huan Huan
    1982 Japan Fei Fei
    Five descendents of those 23 are still alive, including one in Japan, three in Mexico and one in Germany. The ownership belongs to these countries.Increased consciousness of the need for rare endangered wildlife protection called for a lull in panda donations as political gifts to any other countries since 1982. They now can only be invited to visit other countries on a 10-year-load basis for scientific research purposes. Their offspring born abroad will come back to China when they are three years old.

There are different years for "America" and they should be individualized on that list. Like what year the ones came to DC, and San Diego. Those have stayed, but what year the ones came to LA I don't remember exactly, but it was in the early 80s. Here for a short amount of time and then went back to China.

I still remember the HUGE LONG line for the pandas the year we went to see them at the Los Angeles Zoo back in the early 80s. It had to have been an hour wait or more.

• Circle of Ancients

Blog Entries

Since 1982, China has moved away from giving away pandas to 'loaning them' for 10 years.

So if you read the post, it will make sense to you.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast