Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

• Minion

Re: Has POTC been ruined?

I dunno about ruined, but it has become kind of a hodgepodge with the bits and pieces added over the years, with no regard paid to making it blend in.

If I was in charge and had the budget, I'd strip it back to the walls and rebuild it from scratch so it all looked like it belonged together.

• Metro-Retro Historian

All those elements in one small space in the beginning really clash with each other and make a very confusing scene before the drop that only serves to shine a huge spotlight how short that portion of the ride is compared to every other version of the attraction.
    It bothers me when people selectively edit quotes to support whatever point they are trying to prove.

One of Pirates real strengths is a sense of mystery thats probably being done away with as they squeeze more and more elements in. I'd agree the issue of them adding new elements with each successive movie is bad. Disney is a budget conscious company anyways you'd think they'd wise up and create some sort of play or stunt show for each movie to promote it and keep the attraction references down to the core of the movie franchise only.

I've stated numerous times my feelings on this one but probably mostly on the Disneyland side of these boards. The ride is too chatty, mostly because Disney thinks the guests are too stupid to notice Jack is there without bringing his name up repeatedly. Heck Barbossa references Jack by full name and title! This actually breaks character from the movies and Barbossa does not consider Jack to really be a captain.

I don't mind that Jack is in three scenes, I mind that all three of those scenes feel the need to name drop him repeatedly. The dunking scene would work just fine and actually make MORE sense if the dialogue ISN'T altered. Jack overhears them interrogating about the treasure and whatnot. Youknow rather than the mayor protecting him for some out of character reason so marketing can have the name dropped eight more times? The fat pirate could ramble on about the treasure and make only the briefest mentions of Jack and his scene would also work great. As it stands Jack's ending scene is the only one that is cleaver and not terribly irritating to me.

I'd say something similar about the waterfall effects. The Blackbeard/Davy Jones proc rate could be lowered by at least half and it would be more exciting and mysterious and less annoying. Its like they gave him five different things to say so that it wouldn't get repetitive and then cut the spacing between the dialogue so it repeats extra fast because they're afraid guests might be upset they don't see it all in one run.

If the ghostly face appears rarely it adds all the more mystery and will give guests something to return and see. It doesn't hurt if EVERYONE doesn't get the same experience, leave things feeling mysterious.

With the dialogue being so overly chatty I find it a bit grating over a period of time and while I can't call the ride ruined (I still ride it whenever I go to whichever Disney park I'm at) I don't reride this NEARLY as much as I used to.

The ride could be restored to a gem with the simplest of dialogue edits in my opinion but I have no faith that they'll get it right since their primary goals seem to rest on the marketing side which insist that I not be allowed to forget for the slightest instant that Jack Sparrow is in the ride.
    "We all have sparks, imagination! it's how our minds... create creations!"

It's interesting when it comes to these discussions as it comes down to the nostalgic versus the new. People like to laud Universal for its innovation and multiple new rides and attractions and lament Disney for its "refusal" to expand, add or change but when Disney messes with something that's been around, and basically the same, for over 40 years (more if you consider the orignal at Disneyland) it becomes a point of contention. Personally I feel as if Disney is doing its best to appeal to both sides of the equation, those who prefer the old and those who like something new and different. I like the additions.

I don't mind a little marketing, but I feel like Disney needs to come up with more original ideas. Ideas that aren't in movies.
    DisneyTwins
    Since May 2003

• Minion

POTC used to be like going back in history to see what "a pirates life" was like. Now it seems to try to be more of a movie ride. If I wanted to ride the movies I'd go to universal! I didn't bother me that Jack was on the ride but it bothered my wife allot. Honestly I'd like to see the POTC refurbished back to something that resembles what the movies where based on and maybe plus'ed with more real life historical pirates!

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by Disneytwins View Post
    I don't mind a little marketing, but I feel like Disney needs to come up with more original ideas. Ideas that aren't in movies.
    I think this is key. its been some time now since we have seen a ride without a distinct movie tie in. these great attractions and innovations are what sets disney apart from other parks, creating backstories and rides that can stand on their own two feet without having to tie into the story of one of their own films.

The mermaids are the princesses of the ride. Just like the bride in Haunted Mansion these days girling up these classic masculine Disney attractions. The pirates are supposed to chase the women (except the fat one). It won't be long until they alter the auction scene and transform the redhead into some pirate broad that's the queen of the pirates and married to Johnny Depp.

• Co-Host of USWP

Quote Originally Posted by goofy donald View Post
    I think this is key. its been some time now since we have seen a ride without a distinct movie tie in. these great attractions and innovations are what sets disney apart from other parks, creating backstories and rides that can stand on their own two feet without having to tie into the story of one of their own films.
    But Disney would never just do things specifically designed to sell more merchandise, would they? I mean, just because the bulk of all their income comes from merchandise sales doesn't mean they would design and re-design things just to specifically beef up their merchandising...?!?

• Just the Facts

I would like to see the maiden hiding in the barrel again instead of Jack Sparrow. Do they rotate the image in the Mist? I'd like that if you're not sure which character would be addressing you before entering.

I'm not a huge fan of the movie tie in. IMO all it will do is date badly like UOE over at Epcot.

Im all for change and updating, even Walt changed the Jungle Cruise several times, but I'd like to see additions that last and don't look old hat in a few years time.

I can this forum in 2025 with people posting 'can you still believe they have jonny depp in Pirates! When was the last movie?,

Quote Originally Posted by maddogjoe View Post
    You can't please all the people all the time. People complain that POC is over done, then they complain that other rides haven't been added to/upgraded for years..... those same rides they WILL complain about once they HAVE been changed.

Personally I appreciate the changes. I've ridden POC probably close to a 100 times over the years and spend most of the ride looking for things I missed the first 50 rides. Additions just give me something more to ogle. While I like things for "nostalgia's" sake like Swiss Family Tree House, change is good. To the OP, when was the last time you climbed through the tree house? If you heard that they "added" a few new things would you take the time to check it out?
    Yes, it's good to always have something new and Walt liked to add new things as well. It keeps having people coming back.

However, these aren't a few elements that have been added over the years, these are more than few elements that have been added in the last few years. It isn't just new elements to make the ride more exciting, but obviously for advertising purposes and to fit with the idea of the films, not necessarily the ride itself.

I'm not saying the ride itself isn't ruined. However, I just personally don't feel as if each time a film comes out they have to suddenly shove one, or two new elements to the ride in order to relate it to the film when it doesn't relate well to the ride, or it's original storyline.

Change is good. It keeps things interesting. However, what is the real storyline anymore when this ride is a combination of the original ride, with four different film storylines spliced in?

I don't remember the mermaids. I've only been on it like 2 or 3 times since moving here and getting my pass. I'll have to get on it the next time I go and be sure to look out for them.
    "Our greatest natural resource is the minds of our children." - Walter Elias Disney

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by stitchfanocala View Post
    I don't remember the mermaids. I've only been on it like 2 or 3 times since moving here and getting my pass. I'll have to get on it the next time I go and be sure to look out for them.
    they are in the first section of the ride. on the scene with the beach where the mermaid skeleton is, pumps in the water create a sort of ripple effect that the images of the mermaids are projected onto.

Ah yes, I think I remember the mermaid skeleton now.
    "Our greatest natural resource is the minds of our children." - Walter Elias Disney

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast